• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 2 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how did they remove Richard?

Richard is one, Erlich is one, Monica is one, and then Raviga lady and her assistant is two.

I don't get how they removed him as Richard, Erlich, and Monica would obviously vote to keep him.

If they held an emergency board meeting wouldn't all three Ravigas including Monica have to vote to remove him to be the majority?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Richard is one, Erlich is one, Monica is one, and then Raviga lady and her assistant is two.

I don't get how they removed him as Richard, Erlich, and Monica would obviously vote to keep him.

The whole point of having Monica have the scene when she talks to her boss is to imply that Monica would be compelled to vote to remove Richard or lose her job with Raviga. It wasn't subtle.

The whole point of having Monica have the scene when she talks to her boss is to imply that Monica would be compelled to vote to remove Richard or lose her job with Raviga. It wasn't subtle.

Thats what I was assuming but I didn't really feel it was in Monica's character to do that.

I'm assuming Big Head is going to be promoted to Hooli CEO next season given that ending.

Yeah. You don't want to go against your boss on a power play. She likes Richard and sees him as a friend, but putting your job in jeopardy is another thing.

I'm assuming next season it'll be Richard improving himself as he ventures elsewhere for a while, the guys with the newly appointed CEO first starting out ok/positively but eventually getting tired of him, they want Richard back, and he comes back a changed man.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

If they held an emergency board meeting wouldn't all three Ravigas including Monica have to vote to remove him to be the majority?

Thats what I was assuming but I didn't really feel it was in Monica's character to do that.

I'm assuming Big Head is going to be promoted to Hooli CEO next season given that ending.

Yeah. You don't want to go against your boss on a power play. She likes Richard and sees him as a friend, but putting your job in jeopardy is another thing.

I'm assuming next season it'll be Richard improving himself as he ventures elsewhere for a while, the guys with the newly appointed CEO first starting out ok/positively but eventually getting tired of him, they want Richard back, and he comes back a changed man.
It's not that she didn't want to vote against her boss... she couldn't. Monica's board seat wasn't her seat, it was a Raviga seat. If doesn't vote the company line, then someone else from the company would be sitting in that seat and Richard is still gone.

Uncle

It's not that she didn't want to vote against her boss... she couldn't. Monica's board seat wasn't her seat, it was a Raviga seat. If doesn't vote the company line, then someone else from the company would be sitting in that seat and Richard is still gone.

Wasn't one of Richard's demands (when they still could make demands) that Monica have the one seat Raviga originally got? Could Raviga be forced to have Monica there?

ACE 1991

It's amazing how much better season two was than one. I liked season one just fine, but I think it's truly come into its own now. From the music choice to all the tech talk, Silicon Valley comes across as very genuine.

Wasn't one of Richard's demands (when they still could make demands) that Monica have the one seat Raviga originally got? Could Raviga be forced to have Monica there?
The way it was phrased was that she was going to do the voting for Raviga, but presumably she'd get fired if she didn't vote how they wanted in this particular instance. I imagine (hope) they'll pick this thread back up next season.

a0gnCxR.jpg

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Randomly started watching this last week and quickly marathoned it, it's hilarious. Any other shows similar to this one in style? I don't typically find these kind of shows funny, but this one seems to hit all the right notes.

The way it was phrased was that she was going to do the voting for Raviga, but presumably she'd get fired if she didn't vote how they wanted in this particular instance. I imagine (hope) they'll pick this thread back up next season.
This is how I see it. You are there to represent company interest. If she doesn't the motion might get temporarily overturned but she'll be fired and soMebody else will come up to vote for raviga.

the reality is that Richard as is cannot run this company. But doesn't he still own Stocks in the company? That means he should still get money if it succeeds

The writing in this show is so damn good. A lot of it reminds me of The Simpsons.

"Have I just surrounded myself with sycophants who are just telling me whatever I want to hear, regardless of the truth?"

"um...no?"

"Thanks, I really needed to hear that."

Coda

Randomly started watching this last week and quickly marathoned it, it's hilarious. Any other shows similar to this one in style? I don't typically find these kind of shows funny, but this one seems to hit all the right notes.

I don't think there's much in the way of theme. But for a similar type of humor I think "Party Down" and "Freaks and Geeks" are in the same wheelhouse. Plus Martin Starr is also in both of those shows as well.

turtle553

That was while negotiating for additional funding. Once the funding offer was pulled due to the Hooli lawsuit (forcing Richard to take Russ' money), his demand of Monica voting the Reviga seat didn't matter. She still did it for certain items, but they could have someone else replace her.

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like the actor who plays Monica is the weakest one on the show. It's probably the only complaint I have with the cast.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't think there's much in the way of theme. But for a similar type of humor I think "Party Down" and "Freaks and Geeks" are in the same wheelhouse. Plus Martin Starr is also in both of those shows as well.
I was referring more to style than the theme, I'll check them out, thanks. The writing in this show is just so smart and self aware, I love it.

I do wonder of they could go the "stock dilution" angle though would that be Richard doing it or the board with a swing vote in his favor or the boards?

Idba

Calling it. Next season Big Head will be promoted to Hooli CEO and then buy Pied Pieper/the board seates and reinstate Richard as Pied Pieper CEO.

Grinchy

Banned

I just find her to be the weakest actor. She has one facial expression. It's like she was in a cryogenic chamber before each scene, and as she starts to thaw out, they meld the expression into her face so she can look worried as she reads her lines.

I just get pulled out of the show a little bit every time she's on screen.

Chojin

Oh goddamn I keep forgetting that's Martin Starr.

It all makes sense now!

kmag

I just find her to be the weakest actor. She has one facial expression. It's like she was in a cryogenic chamber before each scene, and as she starts to thaw out, they meld the expression into her face so she can look worried as she reads her lines.

I just get pulled out of the show a little bit every time she's on screen.

To be fair to her, they gave her absolutely nothing to do. She basically disappeared towards the end of the second season, she worked relatively well as foil to sadly departed Christopher Evan Welch in the first season.

Grinchy

Banned
To be fair to her, they gave her absolutely nothing to do. She basically disappeared towards the end of the second season, she worked relatively well as foil to sadly departed Christopher Evan Welch in the first season.

yeah I don't disagree, and I don't necessarily dislike her on the show. It's just that if I had to point out a single criticism I had, it's that she's the weakest link.

big ander

Yep. Even when she's given things to do they're mostly for hte purpose of expediting the plot. She never gets anything funny to do. The one time she did this season was Jaredonald trying to get her and the coder to be friends and there the entire joke was that they were so nonplussed at the idea.

Yep. Even when she's given things to do they're mostly for hte purpose of expediting the plot. She never gets anything funny to do. The one time she did this season was Jaredonald trying to get her and the coder to be friends and there the entire joke was that they were so nonplussed at the idea.

I enjoyed the "not in the room" conversation.

So waiting for True Detective to come on and decided to watch this while I might

Episode one is really good. Show is not over yet right? Because it says complete series available

Struct09

Just finished season 2 and liked it even more than season 1. I really love the show, it's so damn well put together and entertaining. I'm so stoked we get a 3rd season.

freshair

The Founder Of Firefox Wrote His Own Screenplay For HBO’s Silicon Valley And It’s Hilarious

HBO’s Silicon Valley is a show pretty much based on an entire industry’s lack of self-awareness. Richard, Erlich and the rest of Pied Piper are always cringingly painful to watch as they thrive in a startup culture that is just so entertaining to dissect.

The show just finished up its second season and the third doesn’t begin for another eight months. To most fans that’s just a bummer.

Blake Ross, a guy who knows a thing or two about startups (he founded Firefox and previously worked at Facebook and Netscape), took it more to heart.

Last night, Ross published an original screenplay of a new episode of the show on his site, saying in a Facebook post, “I couldn’t wait 8 more months for season 3 of Silicon Valley to start, so I spent the past 48 hours writing my own episode. It picks up where season 2 left off.”

What results is a screenplay that’s hilariously on-point, complete with some ridiculous antics from the central characters who move through a plot line involving Richard hiring his own CEO replacement while juggling the possibility of moving his company to be open-source.

screen-shot-2015-09-04-at-11-43-44-am-e1441392242159.png

http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/04/th...os-silicon-valley-and-its-hilarious/?ncid=rss

So I just caught up with this show and I absolutely love it. It was fantastic. Season one started off rocky and it felt like the show didn't know what it wanted to be but by the half way point I was hook. Season 2 was phenomenal as well. I really liked Peter's character and I thought in season 1 they were struggling to readjust the plot without him but by season 2 they really found their niche, with the right balance of plot and comedy. I was reading this thread as I watched the episode and I honestly don't get a lot of the complaints. This show has a lot of ups and downs but so does every show, it would be boring as hell if everything just went right for them all the time.

Can't wait for season 3 and hopefully this isn't the last of Rus as I really liked his character.

Just got caught up on this series last night. I wasn't planning on watching past the first season, but I'm glad I did. I felt like season 2 was a huge step up in every aspect. Just once I'd like something to go right for them, though. It's kind of exhausting having a new problem appear after each one is resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom