• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Judge Presents: Tales from the Tour Bus - New animated comedy - Fri on Cinemax

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Cinemax is back with their first/new series in over a year - 'Mike Judge Presents: Tales from the Tour Bus', which premieres Friday, September 22 at 10/9c - a new animated comedy about the world of country music from comedy maven Mike Judge!

Marking a return to his roots in animation and as a musician, Mike Judge ("King of the Hill"; "Beavis and Butt-Head"; "Silicon Valley") co-created, narrates and serves as an executive producer on the series, which recounts the raucous adventures of these musicians, as told by those who knew them best. 'Tales from the Tour Bus' kicks off with an episode devoted to Johnny Paycheck, followed by episodes about Jerry Lee Lewis, George Jones and Tammy Wynette (two parts), Billy Joe Shaver, Waylon Jennings (two parts) and Blaze Foley.

'Tales from the Tour Bus' features animated interviews with former bandmates, friends and other erstwhile associates, who share uncensored anecdotes about the exploits of these artists, brought to life by animated reenactments, woven together with live-action archival performance footage and photos.

Trailer

Reviews

LA Times said:
Highly addictive, strangely thrilling little series. (Eight episodes are too few; may I have some more?) Fun's fun, but Judge does not forget the considerable art that makes these performers worth discussing in the first place

Indiewire said:
At its core, Tales From the Tour Bus is a very simple show: Its primary objective is to honor these fascinating individuals by sharing their stories with a wider audience. That could've been done without the animation, but Judge, as a storyteller himself, maximizes his potential audience by infusing sly humor into every visual inch of the show.

AV Club said:
[Mike Judge] mines storytelling gold from the people who grew up with and performed alongside a number of country music legends, resulting in a wholly engaging series that even non-country fans should love.

L+SD Ratings

Episode 1 - 68K
Episode 2 - 69K
Episode 3 - 55K

Shauni

Um, I dug the idea until getting to it being about real musicians to be honest. I'd rather have a fictional story about crazy musicians on the road

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Now that the first season is done, he's considering expanding Tales From the Tour Bus to tackle hip-hop and heavy metal in the future. "I think the next one would be the beginning of gangster rap," says Judge, a friend of the Geto Boys. "Seeing the N.W.A movie, which was great, I know that there's a lot of other amazing stories that I've heard firsthand that I think are really fascinating. I would love to do that next."

Source

Ross61

Um, I dug the idea until getting to it being about real musicians to be honest. I'd rather have a fictional story about crazy musicians on the road
Why when the a whole bunch of crazy shit that already happens with musicians.

TripOpt55

It doesn't sound like something I'd like based on the premise, but I usually like Mike Judge stuff so I will give it a try.

Shauni

Why when the a whole bunch of crazy shit that already happens with musicians.

Eh, I'd rather have a singular cast and narrative with its own voice loosely based on real life stuff than stand alone one off things based directly on real life events

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's weird how it's only partially animated. Not what I was expecting.

But I thought it was interesting. Will tune in to episode 2.

Shauni

It's weird how it's only partially animated. Not what I was expecting.

But I thought it was interesting. Will tune in to episode 2.

Only partially? Eh, yeah, I'll still check it out but that kind of inflates my interest more

With a wealth of weird and crazy shit that happens to musicians, why would I need stand in's mimicking the real life events?

If you're only interested in disconnected and unrelated stories, I guess sure? But if you want something with consistent stories, narrative and character development, a bunch of real life interviews with no narrative connection doesn't really feed that. There's nothing wrong with the idea, just I'm more into the former.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

In the middle of discussing a gunfight that a guy named Johnny Paycheck got into, the interview subjects turn to claiming that turtles have dicks in their tails and one of them announces "I've fucked every kind of animal you can imagine except a turtle, and I've tried." This is not a case where fiction is going to be any crazier than truth.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I wish each episode was a bit more substantial, biography wise. The anecdotes are fun but most of the episodes feel a little incomplete by the end.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
In the middle of discussing a gunfight that a guy named Johnny Paycheck got into, the interview subjects turn to claiming that turtles have dicks in their tails and one of them announces "I've fucked every kind of animal you can imagine except a turtle, and I've tried." This is not a case where fiction is going to be any crazier than truth.

Was just what i was gonna post, lol.

Music stars doing crazy shit doesn't need imbellishment. If any, it'll need a bit of hiding.

Top Bottom