• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - a new Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays (S2 full trailer is up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
- EW: Mike Judge breaks down Christopher Evan Welch's burger scene
In the third episode of HBO comedy Silicon Valley, titled “Articles of Incorporation,” eccentric tech billionaire and angel investor Peter Gregory (Christopher Evan Welch) demonstrated exactly how brainy and zany he can be. Ignoring the pleas for emergency funds from two executives running a business on the verge of shutdown, he orders up and then studies every item on the Burger King menu with alien-like curiosity. But just when the stressed-out pair reach their flame-broiling point with Gregory and his seemingly disassociated contemplation, he snaps into focus and offers a cropload of comic relief: He coolly delivers a connect-the-dots speech that involves cicada cycles in Myanmar and Brazil and underpriced Indonesian sesame seed futures, things that will help him score a $68 million profit with which he can provide them a $15 million bridge loan. It’s a signature moment of the show, earning the No. 22 spot of our 50 Best Scenes of the TV season in the current issue of EW. Sadly, it also would be one of the last that Welch ever filmed. At the age of 48, he died of lung cancer in December. Here, co-creator/executive producer Mike Judge reflects on the “one of a kind” character actor (whose credits include Lincoln, Rubicon, Law & Order, and Vicky Cristina Barcelona) and his standout performance in this scene.

- EW: Mike Judge on 'Silicon Valley' Emmy nods and dreams that (thankfully) don't come true
Before creating Silicon Valley— the new HBO comedy that Thursday morning garnered five Emmy nominations—Mike Judge says he “hadn’t had a hit in awhile.” Specifically, he was referring to a pair of high-profile 2009 projects: the ABC animated series The Goode Family and the Jason Bateman-led feature film Extract, both of which were received unenthusiastically by audiences. Despite those hiccups, flops have been the exception rather than the rule for the creator of Beavis & Butthead, King of the Hill, Office Space, and Idiocracy. So when it was announced that Silicon Valley was up for Emmys in Best Comedy, Best Directing and Best Writing (as well as Art Direction and Main Title Design), it wasn’t just appropriate recognition for a deserving show: It was a restoration of order. Shortly after the nominations were announced, Judge spoke with EW about his latest hit.

Fantastic first season. I only just found out that Christopher Evan Welch, who played Peter Gregory, died during filming of the show. No wonder we never get to see him in the last episodes :(

kankki

Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe
He makes a very brief appearance on The Sopranos as well. Made me want to watch Silicon Valley all over again.

Cool. Actually watching Sopranos (4th season) now, it'll be interesting to see when he comes on.

They have to recast him... I mean they can't have him always be somewhere else... at some point he has to step in for a scene or two..

One idea I had was to have a new actor play Peter Gregory, but instead of a soap opera where everyone pretends they're the same character, everyone notices that he looks and acts completely differently.

Monica: "Peter! Welcome back!"

*odd looks between Erlich and Richard*

Richard: "Um, Peter... you look... different."

Peter: "I grew tired of my old body."

*long silence*

Peter: *big smile* "Now! Where are you guys at with Pied Piper?"

AcridMeat

Banned
Finally got around to this series and finished it tonight. Wonderful. Absolutely loved it, especially being from around the area.

Really sad about Christopher Evan Welch, he was great too. Looking forward to season 2, fun series definitely.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
One idea I had was to have a new actor play Peter Gregory, but instead of a soap opera where everyone pretends they're the same character, everyone notices that he looks and acts completely differently.

Monica: "Peter! Welcome back!"

*odd looks between Erlich and Richard*

Richard: "Um, Peter... you look... different."

Peter: "I grew tired of my old body."

*long silence*

Peter: *big smile* "Now! Where are you guys at with Pied Piper?"

I like to think that he was banned for such a bad idea.

- Deadline: Rebecca Creskoff Joins HBO’s ‘Silicon Valley’ As New Regular
Hung standout Rebecca Creskoff is returning to the premium cable network with a series regular role on another HBO comedy series, Mike Judge’s Emmy-nominated Silicon Valley.

On the second season of Silicon Valley, a comic look at the modern-day high-tech gold rush through the prism of a startup company, Creskoff will play Laurie Bream, an executive at the company. She joins returning cast members Thomas Middleditch, T.J. Miller, Zach Woods, Kumail Nanjiani, Martin Starr, Amanda Crew, Josh Brener, Matt Ross and Jimmy Ouyang. Creskoff’s addition is expected to help fill the void left by the death of Christopher Evan Welch who played the company’s investor Peter Gregory in Season 1.

UDmIqrn.png

Peter Thiel had a talk in UT Austin yesterday and my brother told me he sounds just like his spoof character in Silicon Valley. I wish I was there

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I wasn't expecting to love this show, but I do. Terribly funny when it does, altho it slides into BBT shit territory too often. Still, brilliant portrait of the geek/new billionaire culture

and this scene...man, this scene. The dick algorithm joke made me genuinely laugh out loud. Guilfoyle's plain as hell voice kills me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-hUV9yhqgY

chris121580

I wasn't expecting to love this show, but I do. Terribly funny when it does, altho it slides into BBT shit territory too often. Still, brilliant portrait of the geek/new billionaire culture

and this scene...man, this scene. The dick algorithm joke made me genuinely laugh out loud. Guilfoyle's plain as hell voice kills me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-hUV9yhqgY

My favorite scene from any show in 2014. A close runner up also from this show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqgaF2MDBkI

xenist

The dick jerk algorithm is still one of the best comedic scenes I've ever seen. Made even funnier by being actually clever.

Bladenic

If I didn't care for the pilot, should I keep watching? Anyone else feel the same about the pilot and continued watching and changed their mind?

If I didn't care for the pilot, should I keep watching? Anyone else feel the same about the pilot and continued watching and changed their mind?

I wasn't overly enamoured with the pilot but progressively fell in love with the show by the end. The laughs are top-tier and the final episode is just wonderful, great television. Stick with it!

Like a lot of comedies, it takes a while to find its legs. It gets going midseason, and keep in mind that's it's a relatively short season.

Grinchy

Banned

I just started watching it again today. I only finished the first episode, and there are definitely a few low moments. The show looks kinda cheap in the first episode.

I definitely recommend sticking with it.

Absolutely loved this show. Every character was ace. Especially Gilfoyle and Erlich.

I also realized as I'm watching Veep that Dinesh appears in an episode and Jared (Zach Woods) is in a few. Funny as fuck.

Bring on April!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom