• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Axe Animated Series From Mike McMahan Set at Comedy Central

ReyBrujo

Via Variety, Comedy Central ordered 10 episodes of Golden Axe, the Sega classic.

A “Golden Axe” animated series has been greenlit at Comedy Central, Variety has learned.
Based on the beloved Sega games of the same name, the show hails from co-creators Mike McMahan and Joe Chandler. Matthew Rhys (“The Americans,” “Perry Mason”), Danny Pudi (“Community,” “Mythic Quest”), Lisa Gilroy (“Jury Duty,” “Interior Chinatown”), Liam McIntyre (“Spartacus,” “The Flash”), and Carl Tart (“Grand Crew,” “Star Trek: Lower Decks”) will lead the voice cast.

Move to Gaming Forum if better suited there.

(Edited: Inline quote)

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
If they're going for Sega games that lend well to comedy, why not Toe Jam and Earl?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I love Golden Axe but I don’t see how or why you would make a comedy series based on it
I could see it honestly. The whole thing is plainly absurd when you look at it. If you want to just do a medieval / videogame parody show then basing it on an IP increases exposure. I'm sure Sega was fine taking the check. Sonic worked out for them.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I love Golden Axe but I don’t see how or why you would make a comedy series based on it
Yeah, seems odd as I don't really a ton of story in those games. Probably just grabbing a semi-known IP for the old folks.

Maybe something like this?
hNrRa3g.jpeg

edit: This is "Son of Zorn", yes an ACTUAL show that aired ON FOX, about an animated barbarian dealing with live action everyday humdrum issues.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Is this essentially going to be a Conan/Red Sonja Spoof.
Eh, it's been done :p

8Cp0sAU.jpeg

I think Howards Conan stores start going into (US) public domain starting in (1932+95=) 2027 so hopefully if those copywrite squatters get beaten down in court we should get a pretty nice classic story renaissance of 1930's stuff that still have strong IPs today. Conan, Tarzan, Zorro, John Carter, Solomon Kane, Kull, Batman, Superman etc, all that should be fair game soon.

Top Bottom