• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

T.J. Miller Exiting HBO's 'Silicon Valley'

rucury

Banned
Great for me, maybe I'll finally watch the show. Really did not like his character, found his personality very grating

Funny character and it'll be weird not having him around but I'm confident they'll plug somebody in there to take up that space.

Azazzel

Let's hope he's not one of those actors who decides to leave it all to star in films only to go back to tv a few years after that.

I see you Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Jing Yang takes over the incubator

Ok, I'm done being sad. The rise of Jian Yang

giphy.gif

ryseing

Is your refrigerator running? This is Mike Hunt.

Erlich/Jian Yang has always been a highlight so this is very disappointing.

This show has fallen so hard since season 1 and even 2. It's absolutely awful. They don't even utilize TJ Miller anymore in the way the character was funny previously.

The show has way too much emphasis on shitty characters like Monica, Big Head, Gavin, and the shitty replacement for Peter Gregory.

ryseing

This show has fallen so hard since season 1 and even 2. It's absolutely awful. They don't even utilize TJ Miller anymore in the way the character was funny previously.

The show has way too much emphasis on shitty characters like Monica, Big Head, Gavin, and the shitty replacement for Peter Gregory.

Well, the Peter Gregory thing they couldn't help since the actor died. (S4 spoilers)
Gavin will likely be gone for the rest of the season
. Monica does need more to do, and Bighead is great.

Leaving one of the hottest comedies on television to do more films like The Emoji Movie and How to Train Your Dragon 3. *sigh*

Goddammit...

Does this mean we can get weekly Russ Hanneman?

Yeah, honestly, the best solution would be to Ramp Up The Russ™ and maybe introduce another killer new character like they're able to do every once in a while.

Well, the Peter Gregory thing they couldn't help since the actor died. (S4 spoilers)
Gavin will likely be gone for the rest of the season
. Monica does need more to do, and Bighead is great.

They could help it by not attempting to replace his character with someone who attempts to recreate what he was amazing at but 1000x worse. There's nothing funny about Big Head. There never has been. It's terrible writing.

You know what would be better? If they actually did something with the story, brought it to a conclusion, and ended the show instead of renewing it and slowly bleeding talent as costs creep up and interests go down

Agreed, I don't think the style of hardship>resolution>repeat they have works for a comedy show like this for more than a few seasons. Still enjoying it but the formula got stale about a season ago. First one is still the best, seemed like it focused more on comedy writing and the dynamics of the guys than the absurd snafus they get into taking center stage. Would be fine with it ending this season even without his departure.

CHC

I mean he's not my favorite character, so I guess I'll survive, but the overall chemistry will definitely take a hit unless someone really magical comes along.

Between the real life death of Peter Gregory (Christopher Evan Welch) and TJ Miller leaving, it'ss definitely been a challenging run for them. Still an amazing show though!

Leaving one of the hottest comedies on television to do more films like The Emoji Movie and How to Train Your Dragon 3. *sigh*

Goddammit...

Yeah, honestly, the best solution would be to Ramp Up The Russ™ and maybe introduce another killer new character like they're able to do every once in a while.

And Deadpool 2 and Ready Player One. But let's just pick the uninteresting projects.

Depends how good the replacements are and whether the writers can adapt the story. They've actually had some pretty good ancillary characters so it's doable.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
You know what would be better? If they actually did something with the story, brought it to a conclusion, and ended the show instead of renewing it and slowly bleeding talent as costs creep up and interests go down

HBO is entourageing the shit out of this show.

Coolluck

I'm sad about this because this is really the only reason I know of him but maybe it'll push the show forward somewhere or at least a Season 6 end while I'm still enjoying it.

Gavin Belson gone too. There's gonna be a huge void in this show. They're gonna need good new characters or a big shakeup here. Like finally making them successful.

I gotta be honest: I love Silicon Valley and Urlich is the one character I absolutely cannot stand.

So... This is pretty cool.

It's maddening seeing such a horrible person and terrible friend constantly somehow vindicated by the plot.
They're all pretty terrible friends.

TJ's strange humor really fit the show. The show will definitely take a big hit when he leaves.

Let's hope he's not one of those actors who decides to leave it all to star in films only to go back to tv a few years after that.

I see you Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

David Duchovny says hi.

This reminds me when Topher Grace and Ashton Kutcher both announced they were leaving that 70's Show. Like, why bother keeping it going.

Too bad they couldn't put the show on extended hiatus and do a final season then.

MGrant

There have been too many plotlines that end up going nowhere, especially this season. It's like the show can't decide if it wants to be a weekly, status-quo, episodic sitcom, or a series with a defined story arc. It seems like every 2-3 episodes send the characters back to square one. The Barker storyline went nowhere, the Gavin storyline just ended with a wet fart, Dinesh's storyline ended and he learned nothing, the Monica/Laurie/Ed Chen storyline is boring because they never gave us a reason to invest in these characters.

Speaking of the characters, I feel like the show lacks a moral center. Richard continues to reveal himself to be an unlikable douchebag, and I hope he fails. Gilfoyle is an asshole, Dinesh is an asshole, Jian Yang is a somewhat racist caricature (but he's getting better), and I have no idea what Laurie's purpose is this season. Monica is the most "normal" person on the show but we never really see her doing anything except responding to the other characters, so she's just kind of a cardboard cutout. I don't know. It reminds me of the trainwreck that occurred with Weeds after Season 2.

Miller is super funny and charismatic, not surprising that movies want to snatch him up. As for Silicon Valley itself, I enjoyed the hell out of the first three seasons, but I'm kind of burnt out on this story and these characters. Should have ended it last season, imo. Wouldn't have been a bad ending, really. I saw the first couple of eps of the new season, and while solid, I just feel like the show is spinning its wheels. Diminishing returns.

This is legit devastating. He's been by far top 3 funniest characters this season and one of the best all along. God damn this sucks

oh man he's going to miss out on the company doing really well in season 5. wait they just lost everything, no wait they got some back in the last second there. nevermind they just lost everything again.

Top Bottom