• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

T.J. Miller Exiting HBO's 'Silicon Valley'

SoulUnison

Banned
ryxNFi7.gif

I just don't get why people like this character.
This is early Season 1 stuff, he's literally cussing out and assaulting a child, and he never rises above this low.
Sure, he shows moments of cunning and insight, but he never stops being an absolutely reprehensible human being, to the point that it stopped being entertaining to watch and just started feeling abusive and sadistic.

Like... Why is this seemingly the most popular character?
It's low key disturbing to me, on some level.

This is early Season 1 stuff, he's literally cussing out and assaulting a child, and he never rises above this low.
Sure, he shows moments of cunning and insight, but he never stops being an absolutely reprehensible human being, to the point that it stopped being entertaining to watch and just started feeling abusive and sadistic.

Ummm...you know this show is a comedy right?

That kid was a little shit who had it coming.

mike6467

Seeing the recent Verizon commercials just hurts even more now. I need to see season 4, I had high hopes but this is a huge disappointment and it's really going to put a damper on it.

Phased

There's plenty of good characters on the show so I'm sure it will be fine, but it's still a bit of a bummer.

Regardless starting in S3 he kinda just became his own side plot with very thin links back to the guys. It was like, the entire show had it's own story, and he also had a side story where he just fucks up and loses a bunch of money.

It kinda links back to Pied Piper in a way but overall it was pretty inconsequential.

Kaizer

Banned
I LOVE Silicon Valley, it's one of my favorite comedy shows out there. There genuinely hasn't been an episode, season or character I dislike on the series. That being said, if the series is going to continue to bleed characters & storylines, I'd rather they end it than keep it going for however long. I'm super happy it got renewed for another season, I guess we'll just have to wait & see how it shakes out.

SoulUnison

Banned
Ummm...you know this show is a comedy right?

Right, and at some point it stopped being funny and started being excessive.
I guess I just don't find terrible human beings being rewarded for being terrible to be hilarious - and my favorite show's Arrested Development.

120v

HBO shows usually last about five or six seasons on average. i'd imagine it was wrapping up anyhow

as much as i love Urlich he's become a little rote and one note now. not particularly a disposable character but....story wise it doesn't make a whole lot of sense why he's still sticking around anyway

Leaving one of the hottest comedies on television to do more films like The Emoji Movie and How to Train Your Dragon 3. *sigh*

Goddammit...

Yeah, honestly, the best solution would be to Ramp Up The Russ™ and maybe introduce another killer new character like they're able to do every once in a while.
Permission to be honest... I vote for The Cyborg to return.

Bread

Banned
I gotta be honest: I love Silicon Valley and Urlich is the one character I absolutely cannot stand.

So... This is pretty cool.

It's maddening seeing such a horrible person and terrible friend constantly somehow vindicated by the plot.

The trial scene was my point-of-no-return for writing him off as any sort of redeemable human being.
He literally cost his friends and co-workers everything because he couldn't handle not having his ego stroked for literally 5 minutes, even knowing that's what he was getting into well in advance.

He's a person that will ruin the livelihoods of his closest friends just so he can feel like the biggest name in a room full of people he'll mostly never see again 10 minutes later.

I guess I just don't find terrible human beings being rewarded for being terrible to be hilarious - and my favorite show's Arrested Development.
lol you take this show far too seriously

Interesting to see him blow up so much out of that group. I personally find Kumail Nanjiani to be the funniest guy out of that circle, but I can see how TJ Miller may have more broad appeal.

ghostjoke

Banned

1) The kid had it coming.
2) Jared is the best.

Mostly because the absurdity of his character fits the others absurdities of the show, and that's where the comedy comes from. He's more extreme that the others, but his template does fit a certain archetype turned up to 11. I never got the feeling like the show was trying to make me care for him in the way HIMYM or Friends attempts to make me care about assholes. It doesn't try and hide the fact that almost every character is scummy in some way.

Also, is Silicon Valley the only show you watch? Erlich is small fry compared to some of the lunatics people idolise. At least here it's under comedy.

Noooo he was one of the best characters.

And this latest season with him & Jian Yang has been hilarious. I was hoping they would have a buddy comedy spinoff together

Meh. Worst character is the main guy. I had to quit in season 3 because of him. At least TJ's character is decently consistent and natural in who he is. The main guy is a complete moron or a genius depending on what the story needs for a good laugh...but sadly the laugh is at his own character's expense. I just couldn't take it anymore.

Season 1 still has one of my favorite scenes in a comedy...in the finale when they're doing the math on jerking a conference room off in the most efficient/speedy way. Still brings a smile to my face thinking about it.

Miletius

Interesting to see him blow up so much out of that group. I personally find Kumail Nanjiani to be the funniest guy out of that circle, but I can see how TJ Miller may have more broad appeal.

TJ Miller has a more relatable archetype, which made him the most likely to break out. The other people in this show are just funny nerds, which is a harder sell to the gen pop.

I honestly think Lorie and Gavin are the funniest characters on SV. I hope that, with Ulrich gone, Gavin can step back into the picture.

You probably wouldn't like Always Sunny...

MGrant

You probably wouldn't like Always Sunny...

I think the difference is that everybody rightfully hates the Always Sunny gang. We enjoy watching them, though, because they hardly ever achieve success, and they don't really even want it when something good does happen to them. The silicon valley guys get loads of goodwill from their community, though, and never realize or care what people are doing for them. Jared excepted, of course.

Be careful with those pearls, they might turn into sand if you're not careful.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That little kid brought piss to a shit fight.

Because... it's funny? And he's a fictional character on an over the top TV show that makes people laugh? It's not like the show is trying to get you to root for him. It's funny to see him fail in spectacular ways. No one loves Erlich because he's a great guy.

LewieP

I like his character and the show, but I think he's got a little one note. I think they've ran out of ideas of what to do with his character, and I'm not too concerned about the gap he'll leave.

There is a great supporting cast that could increase their screentime, or they could add a new character into the mix.

If he's getting more film work, I can understand why he'd not have time in his schedule.

Speaking of, doesn't Kumail Nanjiani have a movie out soon?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is terrible news TBH. He's synonymous with that show and I feel like riding it out would only do wonders long-term.

mlclmtckr

Banned
That's too bad, he was one of the only things I liked this season. The show just seems really flat and lifeless now, with the only highlights being the zanier and less passive characters (Erlich, Jin Yang, Gavin, Jack).

Speaking of, doesn't Kumail Nanjiani have a movie out soon?

Yeah, The Big Sick, it just premiered at SIFF. I think it's coming out late June.

You must be fun during movie outings.

here's the thing about enjoying fiction. Your personal philosophy shouldn't dictate your preferences.

I love Tarantino stuff. I love Japanese torture horror stuff like Audition. That doesn't mean I am into S&M.

I love Eric Cartman in Southpark. But that doesn't mean i like him as a person.

If you can't tell the difference between the role of a character in fiction versus your real life preferential philosophy, then you need to really chill.

Are you one of those that went full 'RAGE' when a character in a Tarantino's movie spouted the N word?

Top Bottom