• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2016 TV Show of the Year ~Results!~ (+Fail of the Year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Banned
Bruh, did we get a year with no middling comic book shows in the top ten? God is real I guess.

It is bit of a shame, though understandable, that the list skews so heavily towards American shows. Especially in a year where for me 7 out of the 10 best shows were not from the US.

daffy

Banned
Still on Walking Dead S6. It really is being squeezed out with all the good stuff at the beginning and ends of the seasons. Stranger Things was good and, despite my issues with the closing episodes, it really held my attention like no other show last year.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Of course not. Quality wise, the show is about the same as it's been for the last few years - it's actually been very consistent in that regard. I think the main thing that bothers people is that the show is seven years old and yet there isn't any end in sight. People feel like it's just going around in circles, like it's delivering the same situations and hitting the same themes over and over again.

I know the show is ridiculously popular and that it's following the comics for the most part, which are designed to be an endless parade of horrific survival situations, but I think it'd really behoove the show to come up with some sort of end game and start building towards it, even if it takes 5 or 6 more years to get there. They don't have to try to cure the zombie virus or anything - just give people some specific thing to look forward to (like Daenerys coming to Westeros or the survivors getting off the island or whatever) and I think there'd be major renewed interest in the show.
It's more the terrible cliffhanger and conclusion that made people fed up and see the show for what it is.

spekkeh

Banned
Aww yiss Stranger Things at number one and I also open the quotes. Vindication for the Gaf Goty list, lol.

Narcos and The Get Down got snubbed for some series that ended up way above it, but gaf still likes it superheroes I guess.

Really need to get on Westworld.

sohois

Shoutout to the two other people who put Broad City on their lists. Also feel like The Good Place would have been a hell of a lot higher if it's finale had aired earlier.

Also quick average vote calculation.
1. Stranger Things - 6.9
2. Game of Thrones - 7.1
3. Westworld - 7.3
4. Better Call Saul - 6.7
5. The Americans - 8.0
6. Atlanta - 7.1
7. The People vs OJ Simpson: American Crime Story - 7.2
8. Person of Interest - 7.7
9. Rectify - 8.5
10. BoJack Horseman - 6.8

11. Black Mirror - 5.9
12. Daredevil - 4.7
13. Mr. Robot - 5.1
14. Black Sails - 7.6
15. Silicon Valley - 5.1
16. Luke Cage - 4.6
17. iZombie - 6.0
18. The Expanse - 5.9
19. OJ: Made in America - 7.2
20. Halt and Catch Fire - 5.9

Sloane

Banned
That is one of the worst lists I've ever seen but I guess that comes with the voting format.

Anyway, thanks for the work!

Tankard

Didn't vote, but good for you guys for not voting for Mr. Robot in the top 10. What a pretentious show.

Stranger Things deserved it.

Zalasta

I for one stopped watching Walking Dead. I didn't plan on it, I simply forgot to tune in and after a while never felt compelled to catch up either. I think that just show how uninteresting the series has become, because even though I was never a big fan, I have always made the effort to watch it every week for the last 6 seasons.

Kind of useless to complain about this list given the voting process is inherently flawed. Everyone's vote is weighted the same, so if someone seen only 1 mediocre show, his vote is going to count just as much as the person that saw 50 and actually voted for the best. It's one reason why I never bothered to participate. Still, props to Ratsky for his effort.

Solo

Stranger Things taking the top spot makes my soul happy. I'm worried S2 is going to have too big of shoes to fill.

LOL at Westworld being on both lists. As Blader said, GAF has that bicameral mind.

23qwerty

Putting Westworld in fail of the year with it also being show of the year makes no sense but ok. Fully agree with Stranger Things and Silicon Valley being on there, Silicon Valley probably too low though.

spekkeh

Banned
I think Stranger Things will be looked back on fondly, but over-rated. It's a good show, but it's mainly fuled by 80's nostalgia.
I think GAF is on average too young for that.

Outside of people born in 89 and saying they are an eighties kid and have so much nostalgia for the eighties that is.

Heck being born in 82 I'm really borderline on whether I can call this nostalgia.

jett

D-Member
Surprised to see Stranger Things win. I can't really bitch about anything I like that didn't make it though, since I didn't even vote. Westworld is so middling in the end that it couldn't win either show of the year or fail of the year, couldn't even get second place in either! LOL!

Surprised Walking Dead beat Trump coverage though. Can't possibly have been that bad right?

Nah. It just became the fashionable thing to hate. As someone that thinks TWD is utterly mediocre most of the time, the first half of this season has been the most entertained I've been by this show LOL.

El Topo

Something can be a very good show and still be a failure in the eyes of many. Vinyl for example isn't a horrible show, but it was a colossal disappointment.

Zasa

Sad to see the, if not one of the best written comedies on TV in Veep is so low. Horace & Pete also below Arrow of all shows :(

ViciousDS

Banned
God was the walking dead after that opening couple episodes the worst shit I have ever watched. It literally was straight garbage and I am glad GAF thought so too. Not even the election coverage could beat that trash

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Shoutout to the two other people who put Broad City on their lists. Also feel like The Good Place would have been a hell of a lot higher if it's finale had aired earlier.

Also quick average vote calculation.
1. Stranger Things - 6.9
2. Game of Thrones - 7.1
3. Westworld - 7.3
4. Better Call Saul - 6.7
5. The Americans - 8.0
6. Atlanta - 7.1
7. The People vs OJ Simpson: American Crime Story - 7.2
8. Person of Interest - 7.7
9. Rectify - 8.5
10. BoJack Horseman - 6.8

11. Black Mirror - 5.9
12. Daredevil - 4.7
13. Mr. Robot - 5.1
14. Black Sails - 7.6
15. Silicon Valley - 5.1
16. Luke Cage - 4.6
17. iZombie - 6.0
18. The Expanse - 5.9
19. OJ: Made in America - 7.2
20. Halt and Catch Fire - 5.9

😀

Very happy Rectify made the top ten, good work GAF.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Surprised Walking Dead beat Trump coverage though. Can't possibly have been that bad right?

If I remember right, Season 7's premier is when
they kill Glenn
. I didn't mind that episode, but a LOT of people were squicked by it. Like, it's the Walking Dead's Red Wedding but done so very badly because 1) everyone knew who was gonna get it due to comics and 2) the mini-swerve just fucked with people for all of 3 minutes.

Dalek

Good list, GAF. Glad to see Stranger Things make the top ten. It felt so refreshing and fun to watch-been a long time since there's been a show that scratched this itch for me.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Outside of people born in 89 and saying they are an eighties kid and have so much nostalgia for the eighties that is.

Heck being born in 82 I'm really borderline on whether I can call this nostalgia.
Then I don't even know, made its nostalgia for nerd stuff.

Swap Atlanta with Westworld (shouldn't even be on the list, terrible show) and the top 3 is looking perfect.

Actually Atlanta is probably #1 from that Trans Racial episode alone rofl

caliph95

Westworld being in the both best and worst list of course its. While i don't find the worst it is such a middling show i'm not fan of certain twist that feels like just there to scrw with the audience not that it means thing for the story and character, plus certain chars acting stupid and kinda lost steam in the middle only redeemed by the finale

Can i state i'm probably too young and the hype probably ruined it for me but i don't get the love Stranger things get on the internet to the point i' sick of hearing about the show it's solid but the way people talk about it sometimes you would it was this year's breaking or the wire. Exaggerating a bit

GAF has some great taste!

Don't forget Black Sails season 4 (final season) starts this sunday on Starz and The Expanse season 2 starts on SyFy (amazon prime also in USA, Netflix on intl I think) on Feb 1st.

Impressive list TVGaf.
Thanks for hardwork OP
Ugh Stranger Things is so overrated.

Putting Westworld in fail of the year with it also being show of the year makes no sense but ok. Fully agree with Stranger Things and Silicon Valley being on there, Silicon Valley probably too low though.

Makes sense to me. I thought overall it was a good season of TV, but there are definitely things I didn't like about it. Its got the scale of Game of Thrones, but not the grounded nature of Humans. Westworld fans/haters should all go watch season one of Humans btw

Mashing

Was Lemony Snicket a 2016 or 2017 show or did it simply arrive to late to be considered because I think it's top 20 at worst.

Stranger Things at #1 is great work by GAF. So good.

Karu

Films from the 80s are still heavily featured on TV and such, same goes for other media. So I don't really buy it, that you can't be nostalgic for ET because your are born 5 years "too late". Something like Tamagotchi's or shit like that fits more into these categories where you had to be there, when ever such trend happened.

Zero315

Banned
Thanks, Ratsky!

Swap Atlanta with Westworld (shouldn't even be on the list, terrible show) and the top 3 is looking perfect.

Actually Atlanta is probably #1 from that Trans Racial episode alone rofl

That's probably my favorite episode of the year, hands down. Between the talk show bits and the fake commercials I was dying the whole time.

Glad to see Atlanta in the top ten and see iZombie crack the top 20. I just wish Shameless was higher... Both seasons from last year were really good.

The Night Of really should've made the fails list. I can't remember the last time a show blew so much potential...

Chuckie

Makes sense to me. I thought overall it was a good season of TV, but there are definitely things I didn't like about it. Its got the scale of Game of Thrones, but not the grounded nature of Humans. Westworld fans/haters should all go watch season one of Humans btw

Fans of Humans should watch äkta människor :p

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Night Of really should've made the fails list. I can't remember the last time a show blew so much potential...

I can't remember if I put it on my fail list. I know I thought about it. Westworld screwed the pooch in a more spectacular manner. The Night Of started off insanely strong and then just whimpered away. Maybe that engendered some sympathy from viewers. Westworld was like hitting a brick wall. Loving it...Loving it... Loving it...What the fuck is this?!

Kinda love how Westworld is so damn polarizing. I actually know several people who adore it and several who found it utterly boring. I'm a proud member of the adore it camp, thanks for using my blurb!

I actually got into watching The Americans at the start of this year and that has now turned into one of my fav shows. Would've definitely voted for it if I had gotten into it earlier. I really need to start watching other shows on that list too, especially Person of Interest.

T Dollarz

I'm up on 7 of the top 13, so I guess that's pretty good.

Adding Stranger Things, Westworld, Atlanta, People v OJ, Bojack Horseman and Black Mirror to my binge list for 2017. Should be fun.

Also, hype at the return of The Leftovers and Fargo this year. We gon' eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom