• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley writer: The show’s lack of diversity is accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they DON'T become more diverse. It's a show that lampoons the many ridiculous aspects of Silicon Valley, one of those being that it's run by young, white, bleeding heart males. If the programmers become more diverse, it might lead people to think that world is more progressive than it actually is.

Having said that, I also think they should draw more attention to that aspect.

This. People who think a show should be more diverse regardless of the reason are probably the same people who think racism is over because Obama is president.

KonradLaw

Lol at that filming crowds part :D

Anyway, I think it's important to be accurate with lack of diversity if that's problem that is present in real world. Otherwise you might end up creating impression that there's no problem in that industry. So it's better to go for accuracy and at the same time adress it directly as a problem inside the show itself.

Ploid 3.0

Seriously? Come on... Do you refuse to watch Vikings because it's too white?

Is Vikings good? I keep hearing about it, but maybe the fact that it's a History channel show, and the pictures of the cast. It looks like it may be a weird show, in a soap opera (hah) kind of way. Being on the history channel I'd expect it to be authentic, so ruthless pirate type groups that kill a lot of people.

Just did a google search, History has a program called "The Real Vikings." It's a old video.

Is Vikings good? I keep hearing about it, but maybe the fact that it's a History channel show, and the pictures of the cast. It looks like it may be a weird show, in a soap opera (hah) kind of way. Being on the history channel I'd expect it to be authentic, so ruthless pirate type groups that kill a lot of people.

Just did a google search, History has a program called "The Real Vikings." It's a old video.

Vikings is really good, yes. I have no idea how History "lets look through storage containers!" Channel is able to make a show this good. The lead character especially is amazing, brings so much intensity to the role.

The creator of the show made the Borgias before for Showtime, which was also really cool and good.

That's a weird stretch

The tech world lacks diversity regardless of the cast of Silicon Valley. If those critiquing the show would suddenly be content with a more ethnically diverse cast, then they're missing the bigger problem which is that, in actuality, the tech industry has a pretty glaring diversity issue. An issue that Mike Judge seems to be deliberately highlighting.

Similarly, if someone thinks that Obama being able to win a majority of voters means that racism isn't an issue in America any more (and there are people who believe that), they're naive to the fact that there are still huge racial disparities in American society. Viewing his election as some sort of fix to those problems (although it is representative of progress having been made) is counterproductive.

What we should be clamoring for is a more diverse hiring process in the real-world tech industry, not for a show to pretend these racial gaps don't exist.

Two Words

That' cool. How about Hollywood/network television follow through with that and stop white-washing roles that were clearly supposed to represent other races too?

Amalthea

Banned
"We had one guy on the set, and he had this long website about how he was helping to make humanity thrive," said Berg. "It turned out, he made some kind of enterprise to-do list."

"Yeah, that's where I realized that it was 87 percent dudes," he said. "I've spent a bunch of time there. It's kind of the no-humor capital of the world. I watched the Naked Gun there and I was the only one laughing. But I shouldn't bag on it. There are very intelligent people there."

"If you're a fan of Birkenstocks and socks, and a nice pullover fleece, you'll fit right in," said Middleditc

And those people are supposed to give computers self awareness one day?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've been working with/for startups over the past 10 years, and well over half of that period for American ones. Silicon Valley is not only hilarious, but scarily realistic at times. If there's a show that needs to be white as a sheet, it's this one. Silicon Valley wouldn't be such a huge punch in the gut nor induce the same belly laughs if it had an artificially diverse cast or the place weren't populated by a mix of egotistical assholes and crazy talented people walking all over the spectrum. It wouldn't feel as genuine.

Besides, everybody knows that Jared is a secret German. That surely counts as a minority!

I hear this a lot like some of the things they play for laughs are actually based in real life, parties with rockers, messed up gender ratios, guy who hates people going to university could all be played straight. On a scale from 1-10 how accurate is the show?

Ok, it's probably a 9, but the VC parties, bashes and conferences are so close to the real thing they make me feel really uncomfortable at times.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Don't let the History channel tag fool you, it's a really good show. Not really that soap-opera ish, I'd say. It's quite epic, and IMO better than Game of Thrones.

Vikings? I watched the first season and I don't know how anyone could even mention it in the same sentence as Game of Thrones. I found it pretty mediocre, with lots of mediocre actors, most of all the lead.

And the lack of diversity in Silicon Valley, I don't think has much to do with racism. Go to any top Engineering school, and it's dominated by white and Asian males. Schools, that have MASSIVE minorities, but those minorities elect not to go into engineering or hard sciences.

It's just basic statistical facts. Look at what minorities outside of Asians, choose to study, at big universities like Umich or Berkeley. And it's basically never Engineering. They voluntarily choose this. So Silicon Valley is racist or sexist for not hiring people who aren't qualified?

It's not like there is any sort of cultural love for Asian males in the west, quite the opposite, they basically have no place in it at all. The only reason they are there is because they earned it.

The tech world lacks diversity regardless of the cast of Silicon Valley. If those critiquing the show would suddenly be content with a more ethnically diverse cast, then they're missing the bigger problem which is that, in actuality, the tech industry has a pretty glaring diversity issue. An issue that Mike Judge seems to be deliberately highlighting.

Similarly, if someone thinks that Obama being able to win a majority of voters means that racism isn't an issue in America any more (and there are people who believe that), they're naive to the fact that there are still huge racial disparities in American society. Viewing his election as some sort of fix to those problems (although it is representative of progress having been made) is counterproductive.

What we should be clamoring for is a more diverse hiring process in the real-world tech industry, not for a show to pretend these racial gaps don't exist.
Is it really highlighting if it's given such minor jokes? People wanting more minority dudes in a tv show isnt going to suddenly make people think the real silicon valley isnt just whitey whitesville.

The people who say that arent actually interested in talking about a lack of diversity in specific fields. Im just not seeing how this relates to the show.

You can want both things though. You can want both minority actors getting more roles and minorities getting more tech jobs. It's not an either or situation. What a weird argument.

Jonm1010

Banned
Is it really highlighting if it's given such minor jokes? People wanting more minority dudes in a tv show isnt going to suddenly make people think the real silicon valley isnt just whitey whitesville.

The people who say that arent actually interested in talking about a lack of diversity in specific fields. Im just not seeing how this relates to the show.

You can want both things though. You can want both minority actors getting more roles and minorities getting more tech jobs. It's not an either or situation. What a weird argument.

I mean, does a film or show have to spend X amount of time on the issue of minorities in that setting to qualify to accurately represent its demographics? And if so what qualifies that? And if they don't does that automatically mean they must compromise that portrayal - assuming the portrayal is relatively accurate? Why? Just to note, the show has addressed it and continues to. Starting in the pilot. It isnt a core part of the series narrative but it is one that is always lingering in the background.

I guess I am just not getting this particular argument either. Maybe I am missing something.

Much like the Oscar's issue that flared up here, I get the sense of misplaced anger from a lot of posts. To me the problem stems from an imbalance that is a result of the ingrained white male power structure that is very easily argued to be progressing at too slow a rate to properly reflect the diversity of this country. Which has knock down effects on the lower parts of the industry from casting, acting, writing, producing etc. That other posters have rightfully pointed out is even done at the detriment of what has shown to be monetarily viable. And while HBO is better then many places, and the fact they are a niche station that is consumed primarily by a certain demographic changes the calculus a bit, most of their talent and shows still improperly reflect the diversity in this country through their employment demographics and their show lineups.

Dealing with that issue in Hollywood and TV is the larger, core problem and a lot will naturally stem from there. And I am not sure how or what lobbying for a show built around satirizing a place that is dominated by white males is meant to achieve within this larger goal of diversification? It seems like a red herring TBH. One that is basically requesting a show to compromise their creative vision that has shown no signs of maliciousness toward this particular issue( in fact at times a clear indication they understand it and are sympathetic) for reasons its supporters haven't done a good job of clarifying its purpose and expected goal in asking or demanding such a change?

Jay Sosa

Jesus can't people leave those writers in peace? If you don't like it watch something else.

I hate when scripts/storylines/casts are changed just so they hopefully don't offend anyone (which we all know is impossible). Good for them for not trying to please people that probably wouldn't like the show anyway.

maharg

idspispopd
I mean, does a film or show have to spend X amount of time on the issue of minorities in that setting to qualify to accurately represent its demographics?

For some people to be interested in it? Yes. And then when they're not, they're entitled to say so.

All this wailing and gnashing of teeth over some people losing interest in a show for their own reasons is so bizarre, and always with this "zomg censorship" angle that makes no sense. No one is censoring a show by not watching it.

Jonm1010

Banned
For some people to be interested in it? Yes. And then when they're not, they're entitled to say so.

All this wailing and gnashing of teeth over some people losing interest in a show for their own reasons is so bizarre, and always with this "zomg censorship" angle that makes no sense. No one is censoring a show by not watching it.

I am not speaking to that, I have no major issue with someone not being interested in something for benign reasons, I am speaking specifically to the person I quoted.

That line you chopped out and quoted is not speaking to what you are framing it as speaking too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom