• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley writer: The show’s lack of diversity is accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Silicon Valley writer: The show’s lack of diversity is accurate

Tom.Middleditch-640x360.jpg

AUSTIN, Texas—During the first season of HBO's Silicon Valley, the megalomaniac CEO of the search giant Hooli offers protagonist Richard Hendricks (Thomas Middleditch) $10 million for his still-nascent startup, Pied Piper.

The initial script called for a much bigger offer, but show creator Mike Judge thought that was over the top.

Judge said, "that's too much, no one is going to buy that it's $100 million," Middleditch said at a South By Southwest panel on Saturday featuring Judge, writer and producer Alec Berg, and several of the show's stars. "So we turned it down to $10 million, and then during season one the news came out about Snapchat turning down that offer of five or six billion, so, egg on our face, I guess." (The offer from Facebook was actually $3 billion.)

"Yeah, the tech world kept getting crazier and crazier during the time the show came out," Judge agreed. "TJ Miller [who plays Pied Piper co-owner Erlich] had some line about someone owning 10 percent of Grindr, and then we realized if we had a character who owned even a little of that, he'd be insanely rich."

"I like how old money used to be Rockefellers," said Middleditch. "In 100 years, there will be some Little Lord Fauntleroy who's like, 'Yeah, my money is from Grindr. We had to toil and sweat to find out who was DTF in a 100-mile radius! You kids have it so easy!'"

The show had plenty of techies, many of them well off C-suite types, willing to give advice. Some of them reflected the Valley ethos in a way that the show poked fun at.

"We had one guy on the set, and he had this long website about how he was helping to make humanity thrive," said Berg. "It turned out, he made some kind of enterprise to-do list."

There's an issue lurking behind the show's success—and it's the same one that faces the real Silicon Valley. The show is overwhelmingly white and male, especially in the first season, where the only "diversity" comes from one South Asian programmer and a female VC.

Berg said they're not shying away from the issue at all. They're just reflecting the valley as they see it.

"We shot some crowd footage at Disrupt," the real TechCrunch conference that fictional Pied Piper competes in, he said. "I have a friend in tech who called me, and she said, 'Those crowd shots are absurd, you didn't put any women in there at all.' I had to tell her—those were real shots. The world we're depicting is fucked up. Do we have a responsibility to make the genders on our show more balanced, when this is the world we're depicting?"

When an audience member asked about the diversity of the show's writing room, Berg took a different tack.

"I think we've done a mildly decent job of hiring female writers, and writers of color," he said. "Fifty percent of the outside writers we hire are women. We're not there yet, but I swear, we are trying."

It was clear from the conversation that the writers and actors who are poking fun at Silicon Valley aren’t exactly in love with the region.

Judge was asked by an audience member if he ever visited incubators or bars in Palo Alto to do research for the show.

"Yeah, that's where I realized that it was 87 percent dudes," he said. "I've spent a bunch of time there. It's kind of the no-humor capital of the world. I watched the Naked Gun there and I was the only one laughing. But I shouldn't bag on it. There are very intelligent people there."

"If you're a fan of Birkenstocks and socks, and a nice pullover fleece, you'll fit right in," said Middleditc

Coincidentally, I've just started watching this show after following some of Middleditch's work on CBB. I like it enough, and as I am about to graduate with a BS in Computer Science from one of the larger public engineering universities in the United States, I can fully attest that 80% of my graduating class consists of white men. The show's depiction of that area seems pretty accurate, sans awkward "we don't know how to interact with people, especially w-w-women!"

Are audiences upset by the lack of diversity in the show?

Goodstyle

I feel like there's a lot more Asian people in the field than the show depicts.

Other than that, ya, I'd imagine it's fairly accurate (not like we were looking for accuracy in this show though).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh sorry I did not know the show was a documentary
No need to be snarky. The show, while a comedy and obviously exaggerated/caricatural, still aims at depicting a fairly realistic setting*, and satirizes the real-life universe of Silicon Valley. The satire wouldn't work as well otherwise.

* Some of technical aspects of it are a big fail when it comes to realism though, it's somewhat disappointing :p

I actually dropped this show due to the lack of diversity.
Seriously? Come on... Do you refuse to watch Vikings because it's too white?

Walpurgis

Banned
That's fine with me. It's a show about silicon valley so if that's how it is, that's how it is. I think they made fun of this in one episode where there was another group exactly like the main cast - all white guys, one Indian guy.

It's a great show and I trust Mike Judge.

Nerokis

I feel like there's a lot more Asian people in the field than the show depicts.

Other than that, ya, I'd imagine it's fairly accurate.

And a few more women. There's not a 1:1 depiction, but I agree, it's in the ballpark. If, as you watch the show, you're struck by the fact that such a large swath of the characters are white males, your reaction to the real Silicon Valley probably wouldn't be that different. It's good satire in that sense.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
People actually do this?

Yea, I don't get this at all. I'm latino and I've never thought "damn not enough minorities in this show...I'm out"

You have to be pretty humorless to let that ruin Silicon Valley imo.

Infinite, did you think the show was funny but dropped it because of the lack of diversity or you laughed but did it anyway?

- J - D -

I wanted to say that the show wouldn't be as effective a satire if it didn't try to reflect the ethnic makeup of the industry and region it's poking fun of.

...but that joke never actually comes, in any form whatsoever.

That said, I'm actually okay with the current representation on the show. Could use more latino characters who aren't just gang members though.

Is it that you can't relate to people of another ethnicity/culture, or is it because you thought that the creators of the show were discriminating?

Or something else? I don't mean to box you in to one of those answers.

The actual reality of that show is why I've turned down offers to work in Silicon Valley for the last 2 years. I would end up punching someone in the face in my first month there.

Same reason I don't watch this show however, is the same reason why I don't watch Friends or Seinfeld. I can't relate to their life experiences, and I already have to endure that daily at work, no need to deal with it in my free time.

KarmaCow

Eh, I can buy that they're lambasting the tech community by just putting what they see on screen (even if it's not ever really the butt of a joke) but that doesn't really excuse stuff like the one female character in season 1 being a nothing character. They've kinda addressed this in their own meta way in season 2 though.

Salsa

this show is so accurately written for the most part that it really bothers me that the values for Pied Piper's compression are ridiculously unrealistic

Newline

I'm a mixed race (Jamaican / English) nerdy computer science grad, it's a shame society hasn't caught up with me yet.

Salsa

Coincidentally, I've just started watching this show after following some of Middleditch's work on CBB

it's so weird how he's playing against type and "got big" because of this

after seeing his improv and work on CBB and the likes you'd never expect him to get this sort of shy role

dude's a nerd but weirdly enough the total opposite of his character here

Really? That sucks for you because it's goddamned fantastic. Not saying this is you, but I can't understand people who live through life finding offenses at every corner. Not everything was made to your tastes. I find it better to go through life enjoying things for what they are rather than finding fault with them.

Infinite

Why? Honest question.

Is it that you can't relate to people of another ethnicity/culture, or is it because you thought that the creators of the show were discriminating?

Or something else? I don't mean to box you in to one of those answers.
I didn't feel like the show runners were discriminating against minority actors or anything like that. I just wasn't feeling it the vibe. Like the show itself interests me but idk how to really explain it other than not feeling like this show is made for me in mind.

Edit: guess I should also add I got a bachelors in design and technology and the reality of show as far as diversity is crushing.

Viewt

If anything, having more diverse characters on the show would give them more ammo to make fun of SV's homogenous culture. Also, not every character on the show has to be in the tech industry, so really there's no reason why there couldn't be more people of color or women in the cast.

That being said, I also think Silicon Valley is hilarious and often brutally honest about the reality in this industry. But yeah, get some more non-white and/or non-male folks on there. Diversity in perspective can only lead to fresher comedy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't see a problem with this considering how they address racial inequality in the show.

You don't need a cast full of minorities to represent/address the issue accurately.

Walpurgis

Banned
I wanted to say that the show wouldn't be as effective a satire if it didn't try to reflect the ethnic makeup of the industry and region it's poking fun of.

...but that joke never actually comes, in any form whatsoever.

That said, I'm actually okay with the current representation on the show. Could use more latino characters who aren't just gang members though.
I'm pretty sure it did at least once. Remember that scene when all the Pied Piper guys were together outside of Hooli or something? There were several other groups there that had the exact same ethnic and gender composition: all white + 1 Indian - all guys. There was at least one joke there.

I'm a mixed race (Jamaican / English) nerdy computer science grad, it's a shame society hasn't caught up with me yet.
You are ahead of your time. :p

Dalek

this show is so accurately written for the most part that it really bothers me that the values for Pied Piper's compression are ridiculously unrealistic

I actually think they based part of the Hooli CEO on the CEO of my company. Some of the similarities are just too much.

Bleepey

I didn't feel like the show runners were discriminating against minority actors or anything like that. I just wasn't feeling it the vibe. Like the show itself interests me but idk how to really explain it other than not feeling like this show is made for me in mind.

The show is worth watching and they bring it up in an episode. Also I think a Nigerian-American girl wrote an episode.

Really? That sucks for you because it's goddamned fantastic. Not saying this is you, but I can't understand people who live through life finding offenses at every corner. Not everything was made to your tastes. I find it better to go through life enjoying things for what they are rather than finding fault with them.
No kidding, when 99% of shit stars white dudes.

If anything, having more diverse characters on the show would give them more ammo to make fun of SV's homogenous culture. Also, not every character on the show has to be in the tech industry, so really there's no reason why there couldn't be more people of color or women in the cast.

That being said, I also think Silicon Valley is hilarious and often brutally honest about the reality in this industry. But yeah, get some more non-white and/or non-male folks on there. Diversity in perspective can only lead to fresher comedy.

The thing is, people of those stripes don't willingly associate with people not like them, which tends to be other socially stunted white males.

People actually do this?

Depends on what the show's about. On Silicon Valley, the lack of diversity seems about right. Elsewhere?

It's all about getting your setting correctly. Where is the show set? Are you accurately reflecting that setting? Is there something missing that makes it in-authentic? (See: The Walking Dead's early seasons.)

Depends on what the show's about. On Silicon Valley, the lack of diversity seems about right. Elsewhere?

It's all about getting your setting correctly. Where is the show set? Are you accurately reflecting that setting? Is there something missing that makes it in-authentic? (See: The Walking Dead's early seasons.)

Even setting doesn't always matter. Something like Hamilton shows that you can have success decoupling yourself from the expectations of a time and place.

I hope they DON'T become more diverse. It's a show that lampoons the many ridiculous aspects of Silicon Valley, one of those being that it's run by young, white, bleeding heart males. If the programmers become more diverse, it might lead people to think that world is more progressive than it actually is.

Having said that, I also think they should draw more attention to that aspect.

Infinite

It's easy for you to say that. I also don't get why you feel the need to remind me of this. I'm not exactly protesting the show's production and demanding they be more diverse with the casting, I am simply not watching it. If you like the show man that's great. I wish I could too.

Doc Holliday

It's really funny, I've worked a for a few video game companies and most are surprised when they see me because I don't have a Latino name. I'm sure it makes getting interviews easier.

I'm sad to say but I bet it works in my favor wether it's a conscious or subconscious thing I could not tell you.

However once there I've never had issues that would come with the lack of diversity, at least that I'm aware of. So it could just be genuine surprise because of the different name and not because "oh shit we called a latino dude"

Even setting doesn't always matter. Something like Hamilton shows that you can have success decoupling yourself from the expectations of a time and place.

Also true and that tends to be more common in theatre. Or productions based on theatre, like Much Ado About Nothing, where Denzel and Keanu are brothers.

much-ado-about-nothing.jpeg

Doc Holliday

I hope they DON'T become more diverse. It's a show that lampoons the many ridiculous aspects of Silicon Valley, one of those being that it's run by young, white, bleeding heart males. If the programmers become more diverse, it might lead people to think that world is more progressive than it actually is.

Having said that, I also think they should draw more attention to that aspect.

When you do see minorities on the show they are Asian or Indian. Which is pretty accurate from my experience.

Trigonx

I'm pretty sure it did at least once. Remember that scene when all the Pied Piper guys were together outside of Hooli or something? There were several other groups there that had the exact same ethnic and gender composition: all white + 1 Indian - all guys. There was at least one joke there.

You are ahead of your time. :p

I remember that part, the CEO of Hooli was commenting on the composition of the groups being the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom