• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 3 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
so first the team can't buy a win and now they keep winning?
They never win on their own merits. It's always "oh shit we're about to go out of business" and then some random thing happens to save the day. And half the time it's because Richard sabotages himself.

Someone said it's like Curb, and yeah, but Larry David was somehow more likeable than Richard.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Good finale, albeit it was predictable how everything would turn out.

I loved how that dude was asking Monica if they should give it a chance and the new guy just slowly shook his head.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Was I the only one surprised that CJ seemed to sell the blog without Erlich's approval?

Leftovers is the good shit. When is that coming back. Hope may not be lost after all.
Should be January/February.

OnPoint

They really have done a bang-up job making Richard unsympathetic by the end of this season, but I still think the show is enjoyable and funny regardless.

Bread

Banned
"erlich bachmann, this is you as an old man"
the way he said this was so funny

great ending to another great season.

Magwik

Banned
Big Head saving the day seemed like an obvious setup at the start of the season. Shame everything had to be burned down to get to this point however.

Slacker

Toward the end of the episode I was totally satisfied, and then they threw in one more Jian Yang prank call to push it over the top. Amazing.

Wait, I'm confused. Richard was right when saying that regardless of users, the software still works. A few episodes ago this software was worth billions of dollars. But know that VCs know that some users were fake the whole thing becomes worthless? I feel like I'm missing something.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Wonderful finale. HBO is on a role this season with the strongest Sunday night run in a long while.

Glad to see that Pied Piper is gunna have to scrap again but from a realistic starting point.

bounchfx

Just caught up on the 2 latest episodes. I can't believe how consistently good this show is. Fucking hilarious and well written, kept interesting and fun characters. Can't wait for season 4.

At the end there when they were saying Big Head's name was just fucking hysterical to me, especially how erlich said it. I kind of want Pied Piper to be renamed Big Head for the video stuff

ghostjoke

Banned
Watched it all over the past few days. The continuation of Gavin's animal metaphors and bonus aftermath in the finale made me lose it.

jerd

Wait, I'm confused. Richard was right when saying that regardless of users, the software still works. A few episodes ago this software was worth billions of dollars. But know that VCs know that some users were fake the whole thing becomes worthless? I feel like I'm missing something.

I think it was more the fact that it had high install base but abysmal active user base so basically everyone hated the platform

Adding fraudulent activity from the ceo just polished it off

KarmaCow

Yea I get that company is poisoned by the fake users but the tech itself must have some value. Though I guess the tech is out since Endframe reverse engineered it.

That's how i wanted this to play out. Good on BigHead and the Big E.

Oh Dinesh with the win.

Now call the app BigHead.

Monica now on board!!

Lets get this party started!

Stoze

It's still weird to me that redesigning the UI or bringing in a UX guy was never tried out as a serious solution, even though it was alluded to multiple times.

Still, really fun season with a good setup for the next one. I like how Gavin keeps voicing his sociopathic tendencies almost every episode, I want to see them go nuts with that next season.

It's still weird to me that redesigning the UI or bringing in a UX guy was never tried out as a serious solution, even though it was alluded to multiple times.

Still, really fun season with a good setup for the next one. I like how Gavin keeps voicing his sociopathic tendencies almost every episode, I want to see them go nuts with that next season.

Yeah its time for this group to go nuts, werid sudo vacation, odd partnerships...etc no more pivoting back to the pad. Now its time to venture out. Can only restart so many times.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Pretty cool episode. I really liked this season.

A few things that I keep thinking about:

Why didn't Pied Piper just sell a box too, since they already had one ready for market?

How the heck does no one else put in a bid for Pied Piper's IP? I mean, with the failure of their platform, wouldn't they just be reverted to their post-Tech Crunch status, where they had no platform, but a really fucking awesome compression algorithm? Even if the platform at the end of season 3 sucks ass, shouldn't the IP ALONE still be worth a shitload of money?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
In addition, it's sorta not making sense to me how Jared, of all people, is the one guilt tripping Richard into blowing the whole "fake users" cover.

For fuck's sake, Donald, you were the one who ordered them in the first place. What the fuck was your gameplan, if you weren't willing to go all the way with it?

Melon Husk

Finale of S3 wasn't among the best episodes in the series, but I got a few laughs out of it. It was a feel-good episode.

I thought the "always blue" bit was a flashback for a second because Erlich's face didn't crack.

Yeah its time for this group to go nuts, werid sudo vacation, odd partnerships...etc no more pivoting back to the pad. Now its time to venture out. Can only restart so many times.

Oh yeah, the show deserves a bigger budget.

Megasoum

Banned
I must admit... I laughed way too much at the "Should we adress the elephant in the room?" line. For a cheap joke it really got me lol

Bleepey

FML, I applied for an internship for a health-based consulting company and I mentioned that I wanna work in a startup that wants to make the world a better place. I should know better but I can't help myself.

Misha

Banned
So now they're in a position where big head's vote decides arguments abut the company between erlich and Richard. He's gonna have to learn assertiveness and decisiveness sooner than later.

Laieon

So now they're in a position where big head's vote decides arguments abut the company between erlich and Richard. He's gonna have to learn assertiveness and decisiveness sooner than later.

Daddy's going to sit in on board meetings.

Zaptruder

Banned

It's one of those - wait, that's not quite right moments (but let's just go with it for the sake of the story).

I mean the compression stuff alone is already worth a shit fucking truckload of money to any of the big cloud computing or internet players.

It's just Pied Piper had super terribad implementation... and the show was trying to draw your attention to that in order to say - they can't make it succeed it a platform, therefore it has no value.

In reality, like the show shows, there are any multitude of applications (including video chat) for such amazing compression technology that the algorithm itself has huge innate value.

In the real world, simply verifying the demonstration of this level of compression would be sufficient for the company to be valued into the hundreds of millions or billions as the large SV companies tried to buy that shit out.

The (compression tech) premise that they're running with in the script is simply at a mismatch between the actual value such a thing would have in the real world and the value that the show intimates something like that has.

Pretty cool episode. I really liked this season.

A few things that I keep thinking about:

Why didn't Pied Piper just sell a box too, since they already had one ready for market?

How the heck does no one else put in a bid for Pied Piper's IP? I mean, with the failure of their platform, wouldn't they just be reverted to their post-Tech Crunch status, where they had no platform, but a really fucking awesome compression algorithm? Even if the platform at the end of season 3 sucks ass, shouldn't the IP ALONE still be worth a shitload of money?

They mentioned back when Action Jack was pushing the box idea that the company only wants boxes if they get exclusive control over the Pied Piper algorithm or whatever. Richard wasn't willing to so that, because he wanted to build a platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom