• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley - Season 3 of the hilarious Mike Judge comedy series - HBO Sundays

Status
Not open for further replies.

pieface

I am really not happy with that episode. Such an obvious completely cop out way for things to go. It was almost so obvious you'd hope people with brains would see it coming from a mile off. Software engineers aren't dumb, they know what people will understand and what they won't and there would have been options for both. Disappointing.

Dali

I am really not happy with that episode. Such an obvious completely cop out way for things to go. It was almost so obvious you'd hope people with brains would see it coming from a mile off. Software engineers aren't dumb, they know what people will understand and what they won't and there would have been options for both. Disappointing.
Yeah i can already see the "attempt to defraud investors" episode. I swear they make it neigh impossible to like Richard. A legitimate concern with tons of data to back it brought to his attention and he's too stupid to dumb down or at least stream line the interface?

These self-created problems are getting old and dinesh is a tool that I hope continues to be the butt of jokes.

SMG

Betting Bernice will become a viral hit with her live of the platform. Show really feels like a new era for the show since the beta.

TTOOLL

I didn't like this episode plot-wise. I mean, why the fuck didn't they start working on a better UI??? It seemed like one of those series where thing happen because writers want and not because things would make sense for the characters in the show. I hate this kind of thing.

zou

Lol, you're either a biased SE or someone that just can't fathom how shit engineers are with anything having to do with UI/UX.

Yes it is just one part of the problem, but it needs a better UI for mass populations to use it. Make a better UI and market how fast and efficient it is, and people will know why they want it. But Richard's myopic leadership gets in the way of change.
A better UI doesn't solve the fundamental problem though. And that is once used people don't understand what it's doing or why they'd continue using it. A simpler UI will just make it easier to use....it won't solve that core issue though.

And lets say they do solve the UI and ALSO lets say they SOMEHOW solve the core issue and that is the education required for a product like this....how will they begin to market it? They're all out of money.

Deadstar

I can't tell if people saying 'just improve the UI' are serious. I'd explain myself but I already did above. That's only 1 part of the problem.

Couldn't they make the "Simple" UI the default, then have an advanced UI for people who understand the tech more? There has to be a way to streamline the program. Then they can add a quick tutorial popup on initial load that explains the data transfer and how the program works in one paragraph. Simply stating that your devices will show 0 data even though it's on the device would make people understand how it works.

As for how to market it, surely they have email addresses for registered users. Send out a newsletter talking about the new version of the program which is much easier to use and use that newsletter to talk about what the program does and how it works at a high level overview

Dali

I agree they could have handwaved at least the UI suggestions. I know first hand how hard it is to get a UI redesign done, particularly one that ground up.
They had money in the reserves to at least attempt it. The platform is valued at millions if not billions but Richard doesn't see the issue if no one wants to use it. He's basically saying "am I out of touch? No it's the kids that are wrong."

Vyer

some of you guys have obviously never tried to explain cloud storage to 'regular' folks. :p

like the little cloud symbol with an arrow pointing down is basically hieroglyphics

and then there was MS's 'smart files'

explaining local vs cloud storage can be an adventure

bachikarn

some of you guys have obviously never tried to explain cloud storage to 'regular' folks. :p

like the little cloud symbol with an arrow pointing down is basically hieroglyphics

But is it so hard that they would only retain 19k of the 500k that downloaded the app?

You can upload high quality videos and movies and watch them instantly on your phone. I don't really get why it's that hard to show the value to a lay person. At least not so hard that their retention would be that bad.

Obviously the UI was overly complicated and needed to be improved significantly, but I don't get why understanding the platform required understanding of the algorithm behind it.

I had to do this a couple years ago when I got my mom an iPad. She was filling up the memory with photos and videos and had no idea you could just upload them. Thankfully I think she got it cause when I watched "CREED" with my parents she understood the Rocky/cloud joke and laughed.

Couldn't they make the "Simple" UI the default, then have an advanced UI for people who understand the tech more? There has to be a way to streamline the program. Then they can add a quick tutorial popup on initial load that explains the data transfer and how the program works in one paragraph. Simply stating that your devices will show 0 data even though it's on the device would make people understand how it works.

As for how to market it, surely they have email addresses for registered users. Send out a newsletter talking about the new version of the program which is much easier to use and use that newsletter to talk about what the program does and how it works at a high level overview
I agree that they should make the UI as simple as possible so the first thing users see is something....user friendly. But when you're a bunch of engineers with no money to hire someone who can create a UI for you it's easier said than done.

And like I mentioned, that's not the real problem here...it's that people just don't understand wtf this thing is so they don't even care. People here taking for granted what good marketing is and how much of a difference it makes.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Whatever happened to Richard's vision of this tech being very helpful for third world countries too? Or is that part only realizable after the first world yuppies make the platform sustainable first?

I'll say the same thing I said last episode – this is fake drama that wouldn't exist in a real VC-funded company. The idea that a startup wouldn't have a single UI or UX designer at this point is more unrealistic than anything they've done on the show, and this is a show that actually hits closer to home more often than not.

The larger problem is that they put Richard back in the position of CEO, and yet he's still making the same mistakes over and over. If there's no character growth on his part, the audience can't really be in his corner.

Cromwell

Banned
I'll say the same thing I said last episode – this is fake drama that wouldn't exist in a real VC-funded company. The idea that a startup wouldn't have a single UI or UX designer at this point is more unrealistic than anything they've done on the show, and this is a show that actually hits closer to home more often than not.

The larger problem is that they put Richard back in the position of CEO, and yet he's still making the same mistakes over and over. If there's no character growth on his part, the audience can't really be in his corner.

This, it's totally absurd even coming from someone who knows nothing about the industry. The show is becoming so stale. Every week it's just Richard fucking up or missing something or somehow blocking his own company from succeeding. Rinse and repeat. It's some of the laziest Mike Judge writing I've ever seen, he's usually so much better than this.

At least Erlich and Jared are always reliable for laughs no matter what, those actors are great.

This, it's totally absurd even coming from someone who knows nothing about the industry. The show is becoming so stale. Every week it's just Richard fucking up or missing something or somehow blocking his own company from succeeding. Rinse and repeat. It's some of the laziest Mike Judge writing I've ever seen, he's usually so much better than this.

At least Erlich and Jared are always reliable for laughs no matter what, those actors are great.

To be fair it's a team of writers, Judge isn't writing all of these, but yes he likely approves scripts and changes at table reads and what not. I feel like this is a show at conflict with what said writers are bringing to the table, they're good at comedy as is their forte, but pretty bad at creating dramatic cohesive arcs especially over the course of multiple seaons. I really liked the two episodes prior to Sunday's but they really shit the bed with the general acceleration of Pied Piper progress, should've kept the sense of time advancement relatively the same. Like I legit wondered if they were pulling a Twin Peaks international pilot deal and setting up for some pre-emptive rushed conclusion if it wasn't picked up for another season, but now I just think it's sloppy writing and they have no idea where to manufacture conflict at this point without it coming off as incredibly shoehorned.

Hoping it gets back to more of an emphasis on the dynamic between the guys next season as that is clearly the show's strength, and less on this rise-and-fall dramatic whatever they're trying to do now. Also more Jared and Russ Hanneman is welcome.

GavinGT

Banned
Are those clickfarms real?

Ranking-manipulation.jpg

Sane_Man

My guess is that Danesh's video app somehow takes off and they end up tying it into the Pied Piper brand and the data storage software is tied into that.

Talon

Lol, you're either a biased SE or someone that just can't fathom how shit engineers are with anything having to do with UI/UX.
I'm a product manager, and I can tell you that good engineers absolutely are thinking about how users approach problems. Even if they're not purely FE devs.

Plot issues aside, the biggest problem with the most recent episode was that it just wasn't very funny.

Quoted for truth. I don't think I even laughed once whilst I was in hysterics for the previous week. Aside from the interesting twist at the end it was the weakest episode of the season.

Hope this week's episode is better. I have faith the show will return to form once again.

Season finale tonight:
The Uptick

Erlich's publicity success leaves Richard in a moral quandary; Dinesh's video chat app gathers speed; Laurie prepares to jump ship; Gavin's comeback at Hooli is threatened.

Finally caught up with episode 9. At the end we see Erlich putting a flame to the mouthpiece of a glass pipe in order to kill off germs. That is some seriously authentic stoner shit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess someone called it when they said the value of the company would tank and they would get to buy back the company for cheap.

I think my problem is that I don't really care about Richard anymore. Everything just feels handed to him and he just keeps fucking it up until he's magically bailed out by someone again.

I guess someone called it when they said the value of the company would tank and they would get to buy back the company for cheap.

I think my problem is that I don't really care about Richard anymore. Everything just feels handed to him and he just keeps fucking it up until he's magically bailed out by someone again.
so first the team can't buy a win and now they keep winning?

It was like a Wayne's World mega happy ending.
the cut to richard throwing food in erlich's mouth was hilarious. Good bro out (plus monica).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom