• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look: Judd Apatow's Love Series, Coming to Netflix in February 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit -

https://youtu.be/Ym3LoSj9Xj8

New trailer.
Looks hilarious.

Link.

Teaser trailer.

n3lHfVy.jpg

EZFrj10.jpg

After directing Trainwreck starring and written by Amy Schumer last year, Judd Apatow doesn’t have a comedy feature coming up just yet. But that’s mostly because he’s been busy with his new Netflix series Love, which has just been given a premiere date next month along with a teaser and a couple of first-look photos. Find out more about the new series below!

There’s no footage from the show, but it does tease the blunt and funny tone that Apatow brings to all of his comedy work, and it reveals all 10 of the half-hour episodes for the first season will arrive on February 19th, the week after Valentine’s Day. And this is just the beginning since the initial order for the show included a second season that will have 12 episodes.

As the premiere date gets closer, we’ll get a better look at the show with some footage, but until then, a couple photos featuring stars Paul Rust (I Love You, Beth Cooper) and Gillian Jacobs (Community) have arrived at EW:

If this is the first you’re hearing of the series, the show is said to follow Gus (Rust), a people-pleasing nice guy who moves into a trendy apartment complex bustling with college kids following the departure of his cheating girlfriend. A chance encounter leads him to Mickey (Jacobs), a wild child who hates her job in satellite radio and recently ended a relationship of her own. Together, they open each other’s eyes to opposite slices of life and may figure out this whole “love” thing.

Apatow created and wrote the series in addition to executive producing with Rust, Brent Forrester (The Office, The Simpsons), Dean Holland (Parks and Recreation) and Lesley Arfin (Brooklyn Nine-Nine). Rust and Arfin also helped write the show, so this is quite the tightly run comedy ship.

This isn’t the only TV series Apatow has cooking either. Just last fall we learned that former TBS late night host and comedian Pete Holmes was going to star in a semi-autobiographical series that Apatow was going to executive produce for HBO. We’re not sure when that show is going to come together for a cable premiere, but all these shows could slow down how son we see Apatow get behind the camera for a feature film again.

near

Gold Member
Completely missed this. At least we have a premiere date, but would have preferred an actual trailer than a teaser.

I'm reading Apatow's book at the moment and it's making me reevaluate what I think of him and his work. Definitely keen for this

gdt

Hell yes. I'll take a look at anything Apatow makes.

I too love Funny People. It's flawed as hell but it's still a moving dark dramady.

Netflix's line-up the past few years has been great, but this year is looking pretty insane so far! Some of the best money I've ever spent on this subscription.

Gillian jacobs hmmm.. Trailer looked funny. Hope it's completely cliche with two people who can't understand relationships falling in love and all that. I'm sure it'll happen but hoping for some unexpected stuff. Similar to Aziz's Master of None.

NimbusD

Dang. I'm disappointed. It looks like a funny-serious Judd Apatow movie crossed with a less interesting Master of None. But, these are just the first clips and maybe they're not representative of what the actual series is like.

Honestly don't know how that would disappoint anyone.

Looks funny. Hey, it's the girl from AT&T commercials! I wonder if they'll address the character smoking (whether you're for it or not, dating a smoker would engender some conversation about it).

Ravek

Banned
Looks funny. Hey, it's the girl from AT&T commercials! I wonder if they'll address the character smoking (whether you're for it or not, dating a smoker would engender some conversation about it).

Ive never understood this. Smoking is common IRL. People don't typically bring it up. It is what it is. Why would it need to be a plot point?

maxcriden

Honestly don't know how that would disappoint anyone.

I probably should have mentioned that I don't care for that style of movie at all. But for those who are fans of it, I could see this being right up their alley. Just not for me. It disappointed me because I was hoping despite his producer involvement it might be like F&G where it doesn't feel like any of his other stuff (that I've seen).

MrGerbils

Ive never understood this. Smoking is common IRL. People don't typically bring it up. It is what it is. Why would it need to be a plot point?

Common. Disgusting. Smells. Makes your breath awful. Clothes need to be washed right away. Ruins cars. Completely ruins hotel rooms or any room really. Leaves those disgusting marks around pictures after you take them off the wall. Literally kills you. And puts the health of those around you at risk.

But it does make you look cool.

Not sure why anyone would think it'd be an interesting plot point.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's Apatow, so I'm down.

Also that first YouTube comment:

Nadheeran's Deep Space said:
This looks like the kind of show that I'm going to say that I'm not going to watch because its "cliched and cheesy" but then I'm actually gonna end up binge-watching on a lonely Friday night, with a box of deluxe pizza and three cans of root beer, and hate that I'm alone and aren't in a relationship.
I can already see my future.

Ashhong

Common. Disgusting. Smells. Makes your breath awful. Clothes need to be washed right away. Ruins cars. Completely ruins hotel rooms or any room really. Leaves those disgusting marks around pictures after you take them off the wall. Literally kills you. And puts the health of those around you at risk.

It's not a plotpoint though. If the smoking was a problem he wouldn't date her, especially since he knows from the beginning.

edit: quoted wrong person. i meant the other guy

Reedirect

After watching this I realized I kinda don't like Gillian Jacobs. I only liked her in Community because the rest of the cast was so amazing and they had good group chemistry, but I would probably be more excited for this if someone else played her role.

It's not a plotpoint though. If the smoking was a problem he wouldn't date her, especially since he knows from the beginning.

edit: quoted wrong person. i meant the other guy
It's not that it would be interesting in itself, and doesn't need to be a heavy plot point, but I think it would be addressed in a real life romance. It's odd to see a tv/film character smoking anyway, at least someone who is not a "bad guy."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom