• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting Trophy Rarity Statistics

Thought this would be a cool thread to post your interesting finds looking at the trophy rarity of games. We have all heard devs say that only a small percentage of people actually beat games and now you can see it.

Take GTA 5 for instance, only 33% of people that played it have beaten the story mode.

The stat that blows my mind is in Injustice PS3. Only 22% of the people that played the game won just ONE online match. Injustice also carries my rarest non platinum trophy with win 100 games online. Only 2.3% have accomplished that.

Please share your interesting finds.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah I don't do trophies because they offer me nothing usually. I haven't beat a lot of my games because of Amazon sales (PC digital), and Origin givaway/sales.

V-Gief

The Wipeout HD Transcendence trophy was quite a bit rarer than I thought it would be. Think it was at 0.5% o_o

mollipen

One of the big surprises for me was that I think the trophy for getting your first persona in Persona 4 Golden—an even that automatically happens as part of the game's first hour or so—was only gotten by 90% of players.

That means 10% never even got that far into their copies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Thought this would be a cool thread to post your interesting finds looking at the trophy rarity of games. We have all heard devs say that only a small percentage of people actually beat games and now you can see it.

Take GTA 5 for instance, only 33% of people that played it have beaten the story mode.

The stat that blows my mind is in Injustice. Only 22% of the people that played the game won just ONE online match. Injustice also carries my rarest non platinum trophy with win 100 games online. Only 2.3% have accomplished that.

If it were MK9 instead of Injustice I would have been one of those people. The story modes in the most recent Netherealms fighting games have been pretty interesting to play through. But I didn't really like the fighting system enough to want to learn/jump online and get my ass beat for countless of hours. :)

Man, I wish that I had a PS4 or smartphone to see the trophy rarity for games that I have platted. I bet my rarest one is the plat for Silent Hill 2 HD.

One of the big surprises for me was that I think the trophy for getting your first persona in Persona 4 Golden—an even that automatically happens as part of the game's first hour or so—was only gotten by 90% of players.

Or they never played the game yet? I booted it up, watched the awesome intro and then then put it away until I beat P3P.
So I haven't started it yet, but my trophy info has been synced.

Yeah I don't do trophies because they offer me nothing usually. I haven't beat a lot of my games because of Amazon sales (PC digital), and Origin givaway/sales.
It's not a matter of doing trophies, the OP is pointing at the statistic that devs has been seeing since the start of last gen: most users don't finish games, and this can purely be tracked by "progression trophies/achievements".

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/360-achievements-unlock-developer-tips-dlc-dates/1100-6253255/ - Here, this was a talk in GDC 2010 on this topic, I think OP might find this fascinating.

7h1ag0

Or maybe they never went online to sync

daveo42

Banned

Wha? That's kind of nuts, but I'd hope it had something to do with trophy syncing or something.

I don't have any stats on me right now, but I think Knack had a few interesting stats on trophy rarity.

lupin23rd

I noticed this too, and was very surprised to see the drop-off for each dungeon. For such a widely praised (and legitimately great) game, some people really didn't get far.

I have to double-check but some of the Yakuza trophies were pretty low, although that doesn't surprise me.

Raonak

Banned
GTAV is suprising, I would've thought it would be lower considering it's massive mainstream appeal, sandbox nature, and it being a long game in general. 33% is higher than I would've expected tbh
I'm part of the 66%

One of the big surprises for me was that I think the trophy for getting your first persona in Persona 4 Golden—an even that automatically happens as part of the game's first hour or so—was only gotten by 90% of players

Persona's opening is quite long, I was honestly surprised how long it took to get the first one. But I was already hooked by the characters/setting -I can easily see people being put off by all the dialog, not realising theirs a dungeon aspect to the game, and just giving up.

I think this trophy rarity thing will be more accurate, and the rarity percentage figures lower, compared to the trophy sites out there.

There are primarily two groups of people whose data are underrepresented using current external trophy tracking sites - people who don't sync, and people who don't register their IDs. This new system completely eliminates the second group. And if they make syncing a background process in the future, then it will mostly eliminate the first.

mollipen

Or maybe they never went online to sync

Well, but they had to have gone online, or it wouldn't have tagged them as being part of the trophy count, would it? Sony's means for telling trophy rarity wouldn't be able to tell who has played the gave completely offline. They only way that should be able to work is if they started the game, took their Vita online for Sony's servers to register that they're actively playing P4G, and then never, ever take that Vita online again after that.

I can't imagine you'd have many people who would have their Vita online at some point and then never go online again. Obviously there are some cases where that could happen, but enough to get the percentage up to 10%?

More likely to me is people like IdreamofHIME, but I still think that's a crazy high number of people to play the game enough for it to ping trophies and then not even get through the intro portion of the game. It hits home even more how some people indeed buy games, play maybe 10~15 minutes of them, and then shelve them for an indefinite amount of time. (And to be fair, I'm part of the problem.)

Zoe

The rarity of completing Resogun on any level with any ship has made me feel a lot better about not being able to complete Experienced.

(I think I could with Nemesis, but I'm being stubborn and trying to kill two birds with one stone)

Cels

online trophies are fine. some people actually like playing online. just like there are bad singeplayer trophies and good singleplayer trophies, there are bad online trophies and good online trophies.

Good: simple task-based achievement, e.g. Halo 3's Two For One (score a double kill with one spartan laser shot)
Bad: Lengthy Grind/repetitive achievement, e.g. Resistance 2's 10,000 kills trophy

if you feel like you are "forced" into playing online to get a trophy, but you're not enjoying the online mode since you think that it's crappy, don't play the online mode.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The trophy rarity stats just goes to show how little most people actually play the games they buy. Less than 50% of people even seem to complete the earliest levels in most games.

yatesl

Honestly, I didn't get much further. I don't think I even got the Persona for Chie.

It's my gaming shame. It's still sat in my Vita, for one day...

Grinchy

Banned

Even though I'm surprised too, that actually seems kinda high. I remember hearing years ago from some developer that they only expected like 15 or 20% of the people who played the game to even finish it and that that was normal.

I really like the trophy rarity thing though. I get to see how few people have been able to do what I did in a game. I was actually kinda surprised by how many people got the Dark Souls platinum. It was like over 5% or something. That's a ton of people getting the plat.

The stat that blows my mind is in Injustice PS3. Only 22% of the people that played the game won just ONE online match. Injustice also carries my rarest non platinum trophy with win 100 games online. Only 2.3% have accomplished that.

Maybe a lot of those people don't play online. I never touched MK9's online and have had since launch on the PS3

Sean

Banned
I find the trophy stats for Killzone Shadow Fall pretty interesting. 89% have the trophy for the first chapter which is only like a ten minutes long intro. After that it plummets - only 55.6% have completed level 2 and the percentage drops significantly with each chapter.

BF4 is even worse, only 63% have completed the opening mission "Fishing in Baku".

yawn. bore off with this shit. If your not interested in trophies, then fine, whatever. Dont stink up the thread with your shit though.

Haha... I reacted similarly before I cottoned on he was talking about online multiplayer related trophies/Achievements :)

Cornbread78

fuck online trophies/achievements

I love me some trophies, but teh online trophies for winning online matches are just crap, especially with fighters. I suck at fighters and they are impossible to win online with. Last tiem I tried with Blaz Blue for PS3 and Mortal Kombat on my VITA and got my a$$ handed to me everytime I went into a lobby. It was usually the same dudes spamming the same crap/cheap move or exploiting some quirk in the game. I'll never even try online again. Devs should not included these online trophies for having to "win" games/matches.

sangreal

I have a lot of trophies on ps3 but I never get around to snyching the trophies. I'm sure I'm not alone, as such the stats are probably skewed for ps3

Eusis

Yeah, you see that a lot in Steam games.

Kind of snoopy, but I do think this is one of the better uses for trophies: give me an idea of just how far many people actually got into a game. If nothing else it's an interesting statistic with a reliable way of measuring it.

Teddified

It is quite surprising how the percentage just drops slowly after each chapter/story trophy.

Resonance of Fate has a trophy for defeating your first enemy and only 84.6% have it.

The trophy rarity stats just goes to show how little most people actually play the games they buy. Less than 50% of people even seem to complete the earliest levels in most games.
Yup, and these are the sort of statistics that has opened up (or shut down design, depending on how you look at it) in the last few years. These numbers have heavily influenced how games are introduced, paced, and designed to focus in on what gets played and how much is invested.

I think the entire Call Of Duty SP playtime decrease is a reflection of that research.

daveo42

Banned
I find the trophy stats for Killzone Shadow Fall pretty interesting. 89% have the trophy for the first chapter which is only like a ten minutes long intro. After that it plummets - only 55.6% have completed level 2 and the percentage drops significantly with each chapter.

BF4 is even worse, only 63% have completed the opening mission "Fishing in Baku".

I haven't even touched single player due to the corrupt game save issues I ran into last week trying to play multiplayer.

I've yet to finish KZ since I've yet to get past one particular section of the game and haven't gone back to it.

Most of the trophy stats we're going to see just help prove that people buy games and never play them more than 5 mins and move on to the next one. Speaking of, any numbers on game completion for TLoU?

Top Bottom