• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dokuro out now for iOS and Android for $0.99 with controller support

Goli

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id521633439
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.gungho.dokuro
Arise, lowly skeleton, and rescue the Princess from the Dark Lord's castle!
You are a nameless skeleton in the Dark Lord's army. After a chance encounter with the Princess, who was abducted to become the dreaded Dark Lord's wife, you found yourself setting her free. Guide the Princess from the shadows in Skeleton Form, switching to Hero Form when it's time to mount a gallant offense! Can you spring the Princess from the castle?
・The Game
Aid the Princess in her flight from the Dark Lord's castle, guarding her from traps and enemies as you strike an artful balance between both Skeleton and Hero Forms--each boasting a palette of unique abilities and traits. Can you safely guide your royal counterpart to the flower at the end of each area? Succeed, and the fairytale will further unfold!
Deep gameplay and whimsical storytelling come together in a resplendent production you can pick up and play--as well as save and stop--anytime you please! Equal parts action and puzzle, a new kind of fairytale awaits you!
・The Story
Once upon a time, the Princess of a faraway land ruled in tranquility--until she was kidnapped by the scheming Dark Lord.
The Dark Lord was bent on making the unwilling Princess his bride. Locking her away in his castle, he ordered a skeleton to keep a stern watch over his prize. The docile henchmen kept to his orders... at least at first.
The weeping beauty before the skeleton conjured strange feelings. Yes, he wanted to return the Princess to her former life, away from the Dark Lord's marital machinations! And so it was the lowly skeleton betrayed his master and set the Princess free.
But can the pair make it out of the castle in one piece? Our story begins...
screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg

While the app description doesn't mention controller support if you look at the game's version history you can see it mentioned.
When the game came out for Vita it got some pretty good reviews apparently, did anyone here try it?

This was a great pick up on PS Plus. Nobody I know has played it but me though.

I feel like if Dokuro was published by Nintendo and was about Dry Bones fallng in love with Princess Peach and trying to save her from Bowser's castle, then it would be one of the most beloved titles of the generation.

RpgN

Loved the game. It's really a shame how a lot of Gaf disliked it and how it didn't get a stronger following.

Diebuster

Played it on the Vita and loved it. It's like a 2D Ico crossed with a dash of Lemmings.

For $0.99 there's no excuse not to buy.

Fodder76

I see three are in app purchases. Anyone know what those are for? I'm wondering if $.99 gets you the first few levels, then they charge for more.

Can't imagine what else they'd charge for.

Celegus

It is a neat little game I'd like to go back to at some point on Vita. I just got my Vita last month, so I've been messing with my year's worth of free games I had amassed from PS+, and this one definitely seemed worth playing. Soul Sacrifice is just too good right now though.

dream

I see three are in app purchases. Anyone know what those are for? I'm wondering if $.99 gets you the first few levels, then they charge for more.

Can't imagine what else they'd charge for.

I just bought it. Let's find out...

No option to buy any IAPs in the menu. I'll play a few levels and see if anything heinous pops up...

edit: Bunch of levels in, and I don't see any IAPs whatsoever.

Goli

The game seems to be doing really well in Japan so far, it's currently at spot number 2 of the best selling paid apps, it's also currently the best selling game. Because of its low price though, it's only the 70th top grossing app.
I wonder if it already surpassed whatever it sold on Vita?
I'd get it but I got it on PS+ and it seems silly to purchase a game I haven't even played but "own" again, but I thought people should now, which is why I made this thread.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wow at the price...
Anyway EVERYONE BUY IT!

I guess i can no more oppose people saying it's a mobile game lol.

Fodder76

I just bought it. Let's find out...

No option to buy any IAPs in the menu. I'll play a few levels and see if anything heinous pops up...

edit: Bunch of levels in, and I don't see any IAPs whatsoever.

Cool, thanks for checking! Even if they are later in the game, I doubt my wife will get that far before she loses interest heh.

Lesiroth

One of my favorita Vita games. It's a steal at that price, maybe it'll do well enough to see a sequel or something of the sort.

MarkusRJR

Can't imagine this being enjoyable without buttons and a d-pad. For any smartphone gamers who enjoys virtual buttons, this game is really awesome.

VoidZero

Banned
Watched a gameplay video and actually like the graphic style.
The price is good, I might buy it for my Tablet. I just hope that the controls are ok.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And it's super-worth it. Such a fantastic game.

I wrote stuff about it last year since it was an honourable mention on my GotY list as I didn't get to it sooner.

Dokuro (Vita)

I really wanted to play this much earlier than I did, and boy do I wish I’d played this earlier. It is so adorable. I love the charcoal artstyle, and I love the colours used for the two main characters (their colours stand out because the rest of the game is tastefully done in black, white, and grey). It is such a fascinating puzzle-platformer with the right amount of difficulty. I haven’t finished it yet, but I like it so much that I want to put it on my honourable mentions list.

Dokuro is about a little skeleton working for this huge Dark Lord. The Dark Lord falls for a princess and subsequently captures her. The little skeleton protagonist, who was originally handsome human prince, doesn’t take too kindly to folks to kidnap girls, so he goes through the process of freeing her. The game takes these little narrative tidbits and forces them into game concepts. For example, you may drink potions which allow Dokuro to transform into his princely form for a while in order to get through puzzles he cannot otherwise get through when he’s a small little skeleton. Thus, the game requires the player to ration how long he or she may use Dokuro’s transformations for, and how he or she may be able to utilize both forms to get through levels as efficiently and quickly as possible (while trying to collect little coins).

Throughout each stage, Dokuro must go through puzzle-platforming and light combat in order to protect the princess who Dokuro seems to adore. The princess will walk through any path you lay out for her, or run when confronted with an enemy, and it’s up to you to prevent any mishaps from occurring. She won’t walk into pits. Sometimes you need to use chalk colours to create ropes or other things to get through a stage (which is done using the touch screen). Sometimes you need to switch into the princely form to carry the princess to safety bridal-style.

If you feel like you aren’t doing a good job with a puzzle, you can always restart. You can also skip ahead if you feel like you’re stuck on a puzzle. While it’s a critical thinking-oriented puzzle-platformer, it still allows players who don’t feel that they’re up to the challenge at that point in time to skip ahead. It’s accessible without dumbing down its base formulae. It’s cute, it’s quirky, and it provides the right amount of challenge. The controls are tight as well.

Oh, and the soundtrack? I realize what GhaleonQ was trying to emphasize in the SotY thread now. Yasuhiro Kawasaki, the composer for the SNES classic Illusion of Gaia, composed the soundtrack, and you can probably hear the evidence for that too. Lots of whimsical piano and recorder stuff and it’s so gosh darn cute.

I realize that this comes off as a genuine writeup for a GotY contender, but I’m simply so sad that I didn’t play this before and I enjoy it very much that I would have added it to the list in some capacity. I think it’s one of the most underrated games of 2012.

BUY IT, omg. It's a complete steal for $0.99. :(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Goodness, that's kind of sad that it's only 99c. It's a great game. If this is what it takes to get attention, then hey.
Yeah, they deserve more for their effort, but given what it takes to make a buck back on the mobile stores, I guess they made the right decision.

Anyway, it's well worth a purchase. Fantastic, clever game.

Goli

Yeah, they deserve more for their effort, but given what it takes to make a buck back on the mobile stores, I guess they made the right decision.

Anyway, it's well worth a purchase. Fantastic, clever game.
I'm sure GungHo could have managed to get it to sell even at a much higher price. Make a Puzzle and Dragons collaboration and bam.

So just what iOS controllers are out?

The MOGA Ace Power is
mogaacepower.jpg

RM8

I feel like if Dokuro was published by Nintendo and was about Dry Bones fallng in love with Princess Peach and trying to save her from Bowser's castle, then it would be one of the most beloved titles of the generation.
This so much. I'm so sick of every Mario game being considered a masterpiece like Mario Sorts Mix and Mario Party 3DS, ugh.

I'll buy this on my phone BTW :p

Elvick

Banned
Great game.

Imported it from Asia for around $30 or something, including shipping. Worth it.

Definitely worth $0.99

I really love this game. I want to know, is it a 1:1 port of the Vita version? Or does it have missing animations/sounds/polish?

It's an insanely low price!

GWX

Enjoying this so far; bought it on impulse, went in blind! Not defaulting the iPad optimized controls is weird and the art is kinda low res, but aside from those small things, it seems like a solid port!

Enjoying this so far; bought it on impulse, went in blind! Not defaulting the iPad optimized controls is weird and the art is kinda low res, but aside from those small things, it seems like a solid port!

Yeah it's a shame it doesn't have full retina graphics, it would have been astonishing.

VoidZero

Banned
I'm surprised, I wasn't expecting much for this price. But it's a really good game and the touch controls on android are nice and responsive.
This price is a steal and a must buy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is it worth/possible to play without a controller?

Tizoc

I'm sure GungHo could have managed to get it to sell even at a much higher price. Make a Puzzle and Dragons collaboration and bam.

The MOGA Ace Power is
mogaacepower.jpg

Holy shit, I need that.
Is there a similar one for iPads?

Flandy

The fact you have to control this game with the analog stick instead of the D-Pad on Vita made me stop playing it really early.

dock

I got stuck on the first boss fight. I figured out the trick to killing him, but I found the controls too awkward to get working. It even started to flash a diagram of the block pushing method for beating the boss, but I still couldn't do it.

Not really loving this game, I have to admit. I want to like it much more than I do.

The fact you have to control this game with the analog stick instead of the D-Pad on Vita made me stop playing it really early.

That's a really weird decision. Why on earth would they disallow d-pad control?

Top Bottom