• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A guy drowns an ants colony with hot aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

They're fire ants.

I approve, as harsh as that may sound. Saw something similar on a BBC programme a while back.

Complistic

Looked pretty cool.

Lets not get out of hand guys, they're ants. Fire ants, even. Was just an interesting way to exterminate them.

You call that an ant colony? now this, is an ant colony:

bil_13-2_magazin-lightbox_22_1.jpg

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Looked pretty cool.

Lets not get out of hand guys, they're ants. Fire ants, even. Was just an interesting way to exterminate them.

ya, but at the end of day, pain is pain. i'm guessing they experience some sort of negative feeling, right?

basically, it's not something i would do for fun.

Amikami

Banned
The end result is pretty darn surprising and cool, but the act itself is not something I approve of. I know there will be those saying it doesn't matter because their ants but fuck, Its still wrong imo.

I don't tend to fuck with ants unless they are in my house to be clear.

Toxi

Banned
EDIT; LOL, beaten with the giant ant colony.

I do think it's kinda sick killing thousands of animals for art, but at least it's an invasive species.

Rich!

I wish he did this to something more evil like a wasp nest. Oh man. I would be grinning from ear to ear.

The BBC doc I watched did it with a wasps nest.

At least, I'm sure it was the BBC. It was after they had exterminated the entire colony.

Leads to pretty insightful research into the structure and nature of the colony, which in itself leads to other discoveries. The science side of it is pretty cool, it's not just about the "art". Researchers have been doing this for a while now.

tjnests1.jpg

Toxi

Banned
Think of it like open season on deer in certain places; yeah, hunting is awful, but we have to control deer populations somehow, and hunters are happy to do that. We're already introducing fire-ant parasitoids that eat them alive, so I think we're beyond the point of caring about morality.

Leads to pretty insightful research into the structure and nature of the colony, which in itself leads to other discoveries. The science side of it is pretty cool, it's not just about the "art". Researchers have been doing this for a while now.
I'm pretty sure we already have good information on fire ant colonies. They're common as hell, they're well-researched, and we've been doing colony casts for a while.

There's a defense force for fire ants now?
There's a defense force for a child rapist who mutilates slaves. I think fire ants are a step up.

... Was I the only one hoping to see some tiny swam of half metal covered ants try to run out and attack before the metal kills them fully?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
It's okay when an exterminator uses some poison or some shit to get rid of insects that probably kills them slowly, but not when someone does it in a way where they die instantly without having any idea of what happened, and they get something cool looking out of it?

antonz

Fire ants are a serious problem. Best to kill them anyway you can

In the US the FDA estimates that more than US$5 billion is spent annually on medical treatment, damage, and control in RIFA-infested areas. Furthermore, the ants cause approximately $750 million in damage annually to agricultural assets, including veterinarian bills and livestock loss, as well as crop loss.

jerry1594

Goddamn people actually having hang ups over killing ants
ok I'll admit sometimes I feel bad over killing a solitary insect, but not a group
. Pretty cool he turned their whole civilization into a trophy. Little fuckers.

They're ants, so I'm glad they're dead. That was pretty cool. Yes I would do that to an ant colony for fun more than once. The bigger the ant colony I get to annihilate, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom