• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Edge Ueda Interview on The Last Guardian

Do you ever feel your ambition is too big for the reality of studio budgets and deadlines?

Rather than my own ambition, I try to imagine what kind of game it is that people would want to play. There are restrictions on the production, of course, but that does not deter me from aiming to satisfy what I imagine to be the player. It’s hard to say that my productions so far have found that balance, but I think I’m always trying to do right by the player. The part of me that is impatient [lets me down]. When I have an idea, I want to see the output quickly. On a long production, it is inevitable that your ambition will disperse from time to time. In those cases, I look at a great work – like a film, a game, that sort of thing – to remind me of the wonders of art, and that restores my momentum.

Given your impatience, how taxing have the past eight years been on you as a creator?

Putting aside the short-term output, more than anything I feel terribly sorry that for various reasons I have kept my audience waiting for such a long time.

How do you keep your team motivated over a production cycle of five years or more?

Maintaining motivation is all about producing something great. A hobby or alcohol might help to refresh you temporarily, but they won’t motivate creativity. Also, the original staff members on Ico and SOTC are just as fussy over details as I am. I always want to create quickly, and I always want to increase the rate of production. In the case of The Last Guardian, my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control.

Do deadlines make your work easier or more difficult?

They make work much easier.

That being the case, how did Ico miss PlayStation and The Last Guardian seemingly miss PlayStation 3?

No comment.

http://www.edge-online.com/features...missing-deadlines-and-parting-ways-with-sony/

Salex_

Do deadlines make your work easier or more difficult?

They make work much easier.

That being the case, how did Ico miss PlayStation and The Last Guardian seemingly miss PlayStation 3?

No comment.
Confusing-business-writing-300x188.jpg

I will never understand Sony giving these guys money for so many years with so little in return.

According to Wiki, they have been in operation since 1997 and have shipped 2 games, WHAT THE F????

Im of course talking in a business point of view, I love Team ICO's games and im glad they exist but why are they allowed to exist while Studio Liverpool gets shut down?

I will never understand Sony giving these guys money for so many years with so little in return.

According to Wiki, they have been in operation since 1997 and have shipped 2 games, WHAT THE F????

Im of course talking in a business point of view, I love Team ICO's games and im glad they exist but why are they allowed to exist while Studio Liverpool gets shut down?

Team ICO isn't a full studio. It's just the unofficial name given for those involved with the development of games like ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian.

These guys aren't JUST working on TLG for 7+ years. They're a part of the larger Japan studio that was previously working on games like Puppeteer and Knack.

Kule

my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control.

Well that doesn't sound promising.

The way he says the details of when, how, and where it will be completed are out of his control is very ominous for the project I think. I still believe it will never be released.

Krakn3Dfx

When the game is announced for the PS4, we'll get a line something to the effect of "The PS4 allows us to really make the game we wanted to make when we were developing for the PS3."

Yawnier

Banned

A gaffer who used to work with SCE I recall said something along the lines of Team Ico having luxuries only next to the main Mario and Zelda teams at Nintendo. I'm not sure how one would know that of exactly, but it's interesting nonetheless.

NotLiquid

This game is beyond the point where it has a chance to live up to expectations.

Team Ico games are good but they're not worth anticipating this long.

Sotha_Sil

After reading that article a few weeks ago about how mismanaged Studio Japan is/was, it's no surprise that TLG never came to be. The studio was in shambles for pretty much the entire generation. I hope that Santa Monica guy Sony brought over to clean up shop succeeds.

UrbanRats

Let it die

I don't see why.
Their previous works have been more than worth the wait (especially SotC, one of the best games i've ever played).
I'm more than willing to wait a bunch of years for another SotC.

Meanwhile there will be plenty of other games to play.

Deku Tree

Ueda said:
I’d like to try making a low-threshold game for hardware that is based around a touchpad. That’s if I can come up with a well-suited idea, of course. There are many other things, too, but they’re secret.

Ueda moving to iOS game development confirmed?

MaDKaT

Well, that was about as informative as I expected. Honestly, I know a game is coming from this team. It doesn't matter if it takes them another 10 years or it ends up a launch title for the PS9, I'll still get it. ICO and especially SotC were amazing and while no guarantee the next game will be as special, it is still something I will look forward too.

Caronte

No comment.

He just answered that question. His creative work was done a long time ago, he can't do anything else to help finish the game. Blame Japan Studio, not him.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Not only did they miss a generation, they missed the longest console generation ever. I want this game more than anyone but no game is worth this long of a wait.

Ueda said:
Do you ever feel your ambition is too big for the reality of studio budgets and deadlines?

Rather than my own ambition, I try to imagine what kind of game it is that people would want to play.

That's good. Now that you know what people want to play, you just have to learn to understand that people want to play it.

I don't see why.
Their previous works have been more than worth the wait (especially SotC, one of the best games i've ever played).
I'm more than willing to wait a bunch of years for another SotC.

Meanwhile there will be plenty of other games to play.

Let's give it another 20 years then. I mean, there will be plenty of other games to play.

Amused

Rather than my own ambition, I try to imagine what kind of game it is that people would want to play. There are restrictions on the production, of course, but that does not deter me from aiming to satisfy what I imagine to be the player.

What? No! Make the game you want to make, not the one you hope you think you know "we" want.

Or am I reading this wrong?

just get it out on the PS4

maybe a good Ico/SotC port too

journey proved that you don't need to be big or super technically advanced to be a fantastic game

Top Bottom