• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Edge Ueda Interview on The Last Guardian

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
How is there anyone on his team even left from when they started TLG? I can't imagine anyone wanting to stay for 8 years with nothing to show for it. Or not getting fired for that matter.

What kind of director says shit like, "my creative work is done." You're not done until the game is released. Do you not own the overall product? What is "creative work" when you are a director?

He acts like he was done three years ago and Sony is mysteriously screwing him.

Also, the "original staff" is just as detail-oriented. Sounds like another slight, if you ask me.

Melfice7

I truly hope the story of development of this game comes out someday, it would make an epic trilogy or something

Corto

People blaming Ueda like he's a one-man team instead of Japan Studio, how predictable.

I don't blame him, I don't know enough of the backstory of this game development to do so. I just feel that some of his comments are a bit strange, apologetic while throwing the blame to unnamed others.

Sounds like they're having a hard time making it's a fun/rewarding game. The base idea is there, hence Ueda saying his creative work is done but they just can't get the right gameplay down or something.

No one has the heart to tell him that he doesn't work there anymore.

milton-office-space.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Do deadlines make your work easier or more difficult?

They make work much easier.

That being the case, how did Ico miss PlayStation and The Last Guardian seemingly miss PlayStation 3?

No comment.

Confusing-business-writing-300x188.jpg

What kind of director says shit like, "my creative work is done." You're not done until the game is released. Do you not own the overall product? What is "creative work" when you are a director?

Such weird answers in this interview, it almost sounds like he's taking the piss. It's like he intentionally walked right into that one at the end too.

Haunted

Let's just take a moment to point and laugh at people who bought their PS3s for The Last Guardian.

I love Ueda and the previous games he directed, but I can understand that not even Sony could afford bankrolling him without any results anymore. He got axed after heading up a development team for 7 years without a game to show for it.

Bebpo

Banned

It sounds like they fired him and took him off the project, brought in their own guys to take what there was and finish it out as a game so Sony can release it.

Sounds like an ffxii scenario.

Endo Punk

Wish I was paid doing shit all for 7 years. I bet Ueda browses funny cat videos on his desk and when Shu comes in to check on the TLG progress he immediately minimises screen to some art work and starts acting like he got shit together, while shu stupidly unaware that the work has been the same since 2008!

Yeah I'm an idiots who bought a PS3 for Team Ico and am PISSED -_-

TriGen

It sounds like all he is really interested in is the creative process. Making the actual game is someone else's problem.

That's the way I took it. Ueda has shared all his ideas, now he's leaving it up to Japan Studio to actually develop it.

Gonna be fun when this game finally comes out.

I bet Ueda will blame SCEJ and then we will hear sony insiders blame Ueda.

Idealy the game probably should have come out 2/3 years ago. Sucked and been forgotten about already.

Endo Punk

ICO moved from PS1 to PS2 and released the year after PS2 release, in 2001. Since the PS4 is out that would mean TLG has moved from PS3 to PS4 and will release in 2014, because full circle and shit. IT'S HAPPENING GUYS!

okayfrog

Banned
Iunno why you guys seem so miffed. Guy's working on a game. It'll come out one day or it won't. If it does come out, well, it's from the team behind Ico and Shadow of the Colossus so it'll probably be damn fine. That's it.

andycapps

He sounds like he used to be the game director and is now the creative director, if anything. Sounds like he took his game ideas and rough layout and handed them off and comes back to offer feedback occasionally. But it does not sound like he's the game director anymore. Which sounds like it's for the best as this thing has been clearly been through development hell. I hope it actually comes out one day, but I'm skeptical that it's going to have the feeling of one of his games with him not being intimately involved with it.

I remember the first time I read "The Compliance Branch" in Harper's magazine in 2008. My cappuccino (venti, extra-dry) was being prepared by the barista at Barnes & Noble's in-store Starbucks while I waited on my partner for an English lit class project to arrive (why some college professors insist on partnered projects still confounds me), so I insinuated my way through the magazine racks, spied that particular issue of the magazine - the February 2008 one, to be exact - and picked it up to thumb through. On the cover, at the bottom, hidden by the magazine rack itself when the magazine sat there for those who had no intention to purchase it or even engage in a bit of superficial café skimming, was the author's name: David Foster Wallace. It was squashed between the word "Also:" and the name of the bombastic, quasi-Marxist philosopher ", Slavoj Žižek." To be fair, it was a testament to the author's craft and consequent literary fame that he made the cover at all with this piece totaling only 3 pages (including more than half of one page dedicated to an accompanying painting done not by the author himself) in the "Readings" section.

I'd read Infinite Jest years before this and had been anticipating his subsequent novel ever since. That month, February 2008, was 12 years to the month after the release of Infinite Jest, which itself was released more than 9 years after Wallace's debut novel, The Broom of the System. "The Compliance Branch" was the first excerpt of the new novel that I would read. It was the first taste I would have of something I'd waited years for. I cared enough to savor it that I waited just a bit longer - until I now-impatiently nabbed my cappuccino from the pick-up counter, checked the time on my cellphone to ensure my partner wasn't due for another few minutes, secured a table with two chairs near a window (to be easily spotted by my soon-arriving partner), stretched my legs out under the table from my chair so the right heel rested on the chair across from mine while the left crossed over at the ankles, flapped open the magazine, found the correct page, read the prepositional phrases "from a work in progress" in the byline, took a deep breath, and, finally, slid through the passage spending more time contemplating my own anxiety from reading this and how it could or could not possibly meet the standard I expected than the content of the work itself. The experience seemed important enough at the time that I purchased the magazine - something I very rarely, if ever, did or do. Seven months later, David Foster Wallace hung himself at his home, leaving the sprawling, disjointed manuscript of his final novel to his now-widowed wife to be published posthumously as The Pale King. After reading the news online, I reread "Good Old Neon," a short story from the final collection he published, Oblivion, in an attempt to assuage my own inconsequential, anonymous grief.

Our expectations are selfish; our demands, unjustified; our disappointment, regret, and frustrated jokes, petty, unwarranted, and shallowly cruel. I'll play the game when it's here, if it's ever here, for what it is.

Well....

In the case of The Last Guardian, my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control.

I think this says enough.

Team ICO isn't a full studio. It's just the unofficial name given for those involved with the development of games like ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian.

These guys aren't JUST working on TLG for 7+ years. They're a part of the larger Japan studio that was previously working on games like Puppeteer and Knack.

I never understood how this worked until I spoke to one of the developers behind Rain. Apparently she also worked on TLG, and it kinda gave the impression that the effort was more collaborative than I initially thought.

Does he?

who are the idiots behind TLG? not to be rude, but I think they need to overhaul their studio with people who are actually able to finish things.

How is there anyone on his team even left from when they started TLG? I can't imagine anyone wanting to stay for 8 years with nothing to show for it. Or not getting fired for that matter.

Because they're developing other stuff? Japan Studio is constantly doing new games.

Where did people get the idea that Team Ico is just a bunch of dudes sitting alone in a box doing nothing for seven years?

He sounds like he used to be the game director and is now the creative director, if anything. Sounds like he took his game ideas and rough layout and handed them off and comes back to offer feedback occasionally. But it does not sound like he's the game director anymore. Which sounds like it's for the best as this thing has been clearly been through development hell. I hope it actually comes out one day, but I'm skeptical that it's going to have the feeling of one of his games with him not being intimately involved with it.

We'll see, he's spent longer on this than the other two so I doubt it'll feel too far removed. But it makes sense that he was moved away from direct control of the team and is more of a consultant for the remaining development.

eliochip

In the case of The Last Guardian, my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control.

I feel horrible for anyone whos still excited for this game

Amneisac

For what it's worth, Amazon recently updated my pre-order with a new placeholder date!

Hello,

We have received new release date information related to your pre-ordered video game in the order you placed on September 30, 2009 (Order#). The release date for the video game listed below has been changed by the publisher, and we want to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

"The Last Guardian - Playstation 3"
Estimated arrival date: December 31, 2014

Shads

Isn't it possible that this is being redeveloped on PS4 and hence the even longer development cycle? I would love for them to just bring this on PS4 instead.

(from the interview)
You’ve wanted to make a game for head-mounted displays since as far back as 2002. How would you use virtual reality to advance your mechanics and themes?

I think there are many ways in which games are superior to other forms of entertainment, but more than anything it is the level of immersion that draws my focus. And what can enhance that sense of immersion better than virtual reality?

Speaking in terms of mechanics, I think, rather than playing as a character that can move around freely, it is best suited to a character with movement that is somehow limited. As soon as Ico was finished, I told my boss at the time that I’d like to make a game that uses a head-mounted display, so now I’d like to research doing that. Also, this may be surprising, but one day I’d like to make a game on the theme of zombies. I’d like to try making a low-threshold game for hardware that is based around a touchpad. That’s if I can come up with a well-suited idea, of course. There are many other things, too, but they’re secret.

We’re not short of zombie games. What’s left to try?

With a zombie motif, in terms of AI and motion technology and the operability of the player character, there are many elements that interest me and that are suited to in-game expression. Especially if there is a way to use [zombies] not just as a convenient enemy for the player to shoot at, but in a way that allows me to express a character in a lyrical way. There are always possibilities.
Zombies, as a way to "express a character in a lyrical way"? How would that work...

Also, Oculus Rift, huh...

Team ICO isn't a full studio. It's just the unofficial name given for those involved with the development of games like ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian.

These guys aren't JUST working on TLG for 7+ years. They're a part of the larger Japan studio that was previously working on games like Puppeteer and Knack.

This.

Kinyou

What I get from that is that the game concept is done but nothing else

LordCanti

My take is that the world/story/etc are kind of long done, but they're still trying to get Toriko to actually work on the PS4 (it probably never did on the PS3).

I've got HR screenshots from years ago that show various locations in the world and all of them are pretty damn polished. I find it very difficult to believe that anything else other than Toriko's AI is holding up the show.

One of Ueda’s dreams for the future is to make a zombie game

No no nononononononononononononon NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The map in the game is designed to house 16 Colossi. In other words, because the placement of those 16 Colossi determined the shape of the map, it would be a completely different map if we’d included all 24. The intention was to choose the 16 best Colossi and focus on making those ones even better. I think we were halfway through production when we decided to reduce their number. Oh, there’s certainly leftover test data and half-edited [areas], but it’s a bit like the Minus World in Super Mario Bros: I think it holds more romantic appeal if you don’t know the specifics.

I still want the multiplayer demo of SOTC to leak out. There are spots on the SOTC map where a colossi was obviously supposed to go, but I can see why he'd say that 24 couldn't have really fit in the map as-is.

I love Team ICO but I really don't see how any of them still have a job after failing to make at least one title for one of the longest console generations we've ever had.

I don't even know if we can really tell anything. Some have been doing well (Tales team, etc.) but there still seems to be a large number of Japanese devs having problems making large scale games on these newer systems even way smaller and less ambitious titles than what TLG seemed to be aiming for. I think that's sadly one of the issues as well. I hope some of the recent news about Sony trying to turn around the studio helps them address the problems with developing bigger games again in the PS4 era.

WalkMan

Banned
I never understood how this worked until I spoke to one of the developers behind Rain. Apparently she also worked on TLG, and it kinda gave the impression that the effort was more collaborative than I initially thought.

There's a project, and you charge time to it as you work on it. There can be someone that's on the project 100% of the time. Then there are some that work on the project and other concurrently. Then there are some that come in to fulfill a certain role then go back to whatever else they were doing before. This is how labor works.

The most efficient use of everyone's time is to not have a team sitting on one project because there are bottlenecks that'll hold people up so it's better to pipeline it by having fluidity and allowing people to move between projects.

the mark

What are you playing right now?

A game I recently played through to the end is The Last Of Us, but there are others that I dip in and out of. I also bought myself an Oculus Rift, so I’ve been playing games compatible with that. This is, of course, for the sake of study!¹

What are you working on now?

The Last Guardian and the rest is secret

1 + 2 = Secret Virtual Reality-game by Ueda confirmed!

stevil

Well... honestly the TEAM ICO style isn't that hard to distill, and provided you're a talented studio... I eman it's not exactly hard to

REPLICATE

It's not about the graphic style, both TI games have a distinct style that is true, but the beauty is in the game play, in the interaction.

Replication of a style is not that hard, wouldn't be that difficult to make a wind Walker styled game, but graphics is only a small part of a great game

Top Bottom