• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rick and Morty is goddamn hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goliath

DMX playing in the background as Rick and his Grand-daughter beat up The Devil, a Neo Nazi, a Bully and a guy who yanked on a dog was PRICELESS.

I always liked this show but now I am prepared to buy it on Blu ray if it ever releases.

iGh82qTEDVGkO.gif

Unreal. I laughed so hard at this even after seeing it in the preview.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unreal. I laughed so hard at this even after seeing it in the preview.

And then the later part in the episode where ButterBot gives Rick a stick of butter because that's the only thing he knows how to do, and then Rick just tosses the whole fucking thing away like he doesn't give a shit...omg brutal...lmao.

MattDoza

TV tracker app I use notified me of two episodes airing. Must have been an error. But man, I wish it were true. Love this show!

"What is my purpose?"

I like that Summer's gotten a bunch of character development lately and that they aren't just keeping the other family members around as catalysts or supporting characters. She's got Rick's intuition and a little cynicism about how the world works (sweatshops in retail, diabetes in fast food, etc.) but she's also got some of the idealism from Jerry's side. Ultimately, part of her character comes from the fact that she's still a teenager and has no idea what she wants to do with her life, so it'll be pretty interesting if they expand on it. I could see a subplot happening where she starts looking into magic thanks to the Devil and has a Rick-level knack for it as a sort of foil to Rick being this huge scientific genius.

Now I'm just hoping Jerry gets a little more characterization beyond being a hard-working dad and a loving father who can accomplish just about anything as long as Beth has faith in him. I think it'd be great if a season 2 ep focused on the in-laws.

Tom_Cody

The jab against Social Justice Warriors ("oh, that's retarded" bit) was great, too.

Had some fucking fantastic moments.

- Morty's whole speech after his dad walks in.
- The ending montage with Rick and Summer.
These were the moments for me. Morty's speech with his dad when he was in bed killed me. The combination of writing and voice acting just hit exactly the perfect note.

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

i4oyCS1BbzTCV.gif

iQAgnWzHDK2SH.gif

iblTekMFbC1DHo.gif

iA3D5l81EwjiW.gif
Muscular Summer is now #1 on my wish list for Rick & Morty action figures.

Azerare

I can wait for the next episode, just stinks we have to wait 2 weeks.
We are also overdue for a Rick and Beth adventure at this point.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope S2 is Rick and Beth and Morty.

NastyBook

Oh, man, I gotta get my sister to start watching this show. That ending was too good. And I have to admit that I watched this and Archer's episode back to back and laughed WAY more at RnM.
Archer's still phenomenal.

Ruruja

Great episode, it's weird how some people like and aren't a fan of different episodes though.

For me, last week's wasn't that great yet some people said it was the best thing they've seen in years, this week's was much better IMO.

Didn't this episode just confirm that magic and the supernatural exists in the Rick & Morty universe? Or did I just miss that from an earlier episode?

Tom_Cody

Didn't this episode just confirm that magic and the supernatural exists in the Rick & Morty universe? Or did I just miss that from an earlier episode?
The creators have said in recent interviews that the final episodes of the season would open up the universe of the show in different ways and pave the way for season 2. This could be an example of that.

Me watching that last episode:

hardscifipartydown_zps051e515f.jpg

Seriously though I do enjoy fantasy and the episode was hilarious but I don't know how I feel about the best science-fiction show on television introducing the Devil and magical curses nine episodes in.

Seriously though I do enjoy fantasy and the episode was hilarious but I don't know how I feel about the best science-fiction show on television introducing the Devil and magical curses nine episodes in.

I like to think of it as a deconstruction of magic versus science. In this universe, magic is an outdated practice and no longer "hip" and as a result people like the Devil are going out of business because their fantasy ways can't keep up with the times and grab people the way they used to. It's more like comparing mom and pop shops to Gamestop than it is a real magic-versus-science debate.

Haly

None of Rick and Morty is anywhere close to "hard sci fi". Shit, it's all in the realm of magic bullshit being pulled out of your ass. Like Dr. Who.

Trouble

Banned

R&M was never anything close to hard sci-fi to begin with. Their model of the multiverse is complete misaligned with the actual multiverse theory.

Spinluck

This shows so good.

Glad they didn't go the annoying older sister route with Summer, all the characters have their great moments.

Had no clue that The Devil was played by
Alfred Molina.
That's pretty awesome, lol.

Tom_Cody

I haven't seen Party Down, but that image instantly reminded me of this scene:

W5FXqty.jpg

Ryu1999

Oh, man, I gotta get my sister to start watching this show. That ending was too good. And I have to admit that I watched this and Archer's episode back to back and laughed WAY more at RnM.
Archer's still phenomenal.

That ending came out of nowhere and I just could not stop laughing - a better version of the ending to Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

For the record I was using that reference humorously. It's not like I consider a theme park inside a man's body "hard sci-fi", but I was reminded of that Party Down scene because there did seem to be a shift from sci-fi to fantasy in this episode. And I wouldn't be surprised if the creators acknowledged that down the line, either by applying a scientific-ish explanation to the existence of "the devil" and curses or by having the characters comment on the nature of magic and how it challenges their perception of reality. Especially Rick who usually has an understanding of how every(crazy)thing going on around him is possible.

This show is in the top 100 on thepiratebay :/

People mightn't like it but that's a pretty good measure of success.

Indeed. That many people are stealing the show is no cause for celebration, but it's also not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, wasn't it an HBO exec who said that (paraphrasing here) Game of Thrones being torrented like crazy all over the world helped turn the show into such a pop culture juggernaut?

Awesome episode, even the gifs are killing me.

One thing did bother me though, the time travel curse. I was hoping time travel wasn't possible in this world, since they have said "“We’ve made a point to avoid any and all time travel", and I fully agreed with them on avoiding it. Hopefully that was just a throwaway joke.

Haly

I think what they mean is, while time travel may be conceivable, they would never write make an episode about time travel shenanigans.

So like, if Morty ever brings up why Rick never time travels Rick can give some cockamamie explanation and that would be that.

We've seen plenty of time travel equipment already (Rick even has a box named "Time Travel stuff" in the garage), so it's probably just going to be a running gag that they never actually do it. Rick being averse to the idea could always have to do with either his wife or the theory that Rick is Morty, too. He already has enough trouble dealing with himself due to the loads of alternate realities he jumps through.

blamite

Hmm. My random guess, based on me having no idea how animation works, is that the sign originally just said "GOD HATES YOU" but then when the Phelps thing became relevant in the past few days, they went back in and quickly changed "YOU" to "FAGS" at the last minute, but missed the last frame because the sign is at a slightly different angle in it? I dunno.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Perhaps, there's a slight color change in the blue where it looks like its been edited.

Edit: Must be compression, cant see anything in a larger version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom