• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year marks Namco's Point Blank/Gun Bullet series' 20th anniversary

Tizoc

Point_Blank_-_1998_-_Namco_Limited.jpg
1688906-point_blank_3_pal.jpg
point-blank-2-playstation.jpg

Not only is this the kind of shootbang kids are missing out, it's the genre itself that I haven't seen one like in quite some time.

I recall playing this series back in the PSX era but we never had those Namco Gun accessories but they were fun regardless.

Apparently there was a spin-off game called Ghoul Panic, but I hadn't heard of it til now, could someone elaborate on how it is related to this series? Did the same team that made this series work on GP?
863700-ghoul_panic_cover.jpg
577255_16562_front.jpg

Hey kids, what time is it?!
Point Blank 2 intro
Point Blank 3 intro
Beginner diff. gameplay in PB1

MisterHero

A handful of lightgun games were released for Wii but none of them was Point Blank.

what the hell namco

why did you make one for ds instead

tinders

Local bowling alley had a Point Blank machine that I tried to purchase off them when they closed down. Apparently my offer (around $3000 AUD) was less than half what they got for it.

With that said, I would happily pay good money for a HD re-release.

Tekken as well.

I never owned a light gun game but I do have a memory of killing it with my wife (then girlfriend) in some vampire night game or something at an arcade I only visited because I hoped to find the newly released Tekken 5.... only for my car stereo to be stolen. Pointless story's point: I was interested in getting a lightgun game for consoles to play along with my gf but nothing really came out.

My favorite lightgun game series.
Having played it in the arcade was actually one of the reasons for me to buy a PSX (I was an early N64 adopter at the time). Thinking of it right now, I kinda miss it and it's true there hasn't been anything like it in recent years.
Not sure why last gen didn't get a Point Blank release on consoles. It seemed like a nobrainer to at least release one for the Wii.
At this point I don't have faith the franchise is ever going to be resurrected.

tsab

I was thinking of Time Crisis and Point Blank the other day.

Why don't the make/port a downloadable collection for PS3/Wii/WiiU since they won't need to bundle lightguns?
too bad the ps1 emu on ps3 doesn't emulate lightguns :(

(I don't have a crt tv anymore to play them on ps1 with guncon)

edit:also OP there was a DS game too. I don't know if it was a sequel or a port

Argyle

I was thinking of Time Crisis and Point Blank the other day.

Why don't the make/port a downloadable collection for PS3/Wii/WiiU since they won't need to bundle lightguns?
too bad the ps1 emu on ps3 doesn't emulate lightguns :(

(I don't have a crt tv anymore to play them on ps1 with guncon)

edit:also OP there was a DS game too. I don't know if it was a sequel or a port

There was at least a PS2 collection, released in Japan. Probably doesn't help if you don't have a CRT anymore (I gave mine up when I moved...)

IMG_20140102_010425_zpsktr68tl5.jpg

Played these so much in the arcade. So much fun, especially in 2 player. Own them on console as well with 2 guns. I got rid of my crt though, heh. Good memories..

Its the game that would sell the Move on the PS3 & 4. Light gum attachment bundled with Point blank HD...
Damn I miss these games and the lively blue light gun...

This thread has me dangerously close to buying Point Blank on DS. Many fond memories wasting quarters at the college arcade on this game.

My dad was absolutely insane at Point Blank and the original Time Crisis. To the point where he could play Time Crisis on close to a single credit.

magnetic

This thread has me dangerously close to buying Point Blank on DS. Many find memories wasting quarters at the college arcade on this game.

Haha, me too! I actually just ordered it from Amazon.de for a measly 6€ including shipping. I used to have this at one point in my life but lost it.

It obviously isn´t the same experience tapping a little touchscreen compared to pointing a huge lightgun at a nice CRT, but I kinda want a dumb little reaction-style game once in a while. This game is rough, wacky and loud, just the right thing between longer, drawn-out RPG sessions. It really has this Namco arcade feeling to it.

magnetic

Gun Bullet is such a cool name, much better than Point Blank.

Reminds me of the people who complained about Bravely Default. That´s not a bad name - that´s a brilliant name!

Tain

I couldn't imagine the Expert courses on a Wii, to be honest.

CRTs+light guns forever when it comes to these games.

entremet

Does anyone remember Time Crisis 3 on the PS3. Gun it came with had a sensor bar since it needed to work with modern TVs.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I got a copy of the GunVari Collection for the PS2 recently. It's not in great shape, but it will still play. Thankfully I have a CRT. This is truly the greatest lightgun game series ever.

Spookie

Point blank was my Warioware back in the day. Amazing game and it use to cost me a fortune in the arcade too.

Have Point Blank 1-3 on PSX (although no CRT) and an arcade with Point Blank 1 and 2 and Oh! Bakyuuun nearby. Lovely games, even if I'm awful at them.

why was there no wii collection it is just the silliest thing

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Ah Point Blank, what fun even amongst all the other Light Gun games I've owned.

The RPG/Quest mode still remains one of my favourite "diversion" titles ever made. A simple thing, an excuse to just go through a variety of the types, but it was enjoyable and gave me an excuse to return to it more often than not after High Scores had all but been finalised for my personal bests.
Ah, if only they could make such a title again, I would buy it in an instant.

I loved this game. It was like Police Trainer but wacky. I always liked light gun games that required more than just "shoot the bad guys/don't shoot the bystanders."

Dr Dogg

Really? Christ that makes me feel old. I can remember almost knocking my front teeth out playing the first Point Blank in the local arcade (when they used to be a thing, it was all black and white/sepia toned backed then) because I had the gun pointed right under my nose but didn't realise the slide came back. Was hilarious for my mates watching me clutch my face in agony whilst they just pointed and laughed, bastards!

Really good fun selection of stages I seam to recall. I think there was a William Tell Shoot the Apple From The Dudes Head level that I used to be shit hot at.

TGMIII

Apparently there was a spin-off game called Ghoul Panic, but I hadn't heard of it til now, could someone elaborate on how it is related to this series? Did the same team that made this series work on GP?

Ghoul Panic was developed by Eighting and was fairly similar to PB in that it was a series of minigames with various challenges but it had two main modes. The first was a typical arcade mode and after a certain amount of challenges you would fight a boss in the vain of HotD. The other mode was like a dungeon crawler where you would have to find keys to fight the boss and progress to the next floor. There were also various items you could find that would help you such as extra hearts, shields and gems that would damage the boss of that floor before the fight began. . Each floor would have multiple doors and behind each door was either a challenge, an item or sometimes nothing.

It's a great lightgun game if you can find it. Rescue Shot was another namco lightgun game released around the same time that was another decent title that's worth checking out.

Top Bottom