• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1's American 20th Anniversary in two days. Share your favorite Playstation memories

For me, PS1 -playing the Wipeout demo at Toys R' Us. Blew me away, seemed so smooth and that first drop and jump. Wow!! Sold me right then and there. I was 20 y/o at the time and had grown up with games, starting in earnest with the Intellivision 2.

Ridge Racer was also a game that got me hooked. Being able to take out the CD after the game loaded an being able to play your own music CD's was awesome. Now we have Spotify and have access to thousands of songs. We've come a long way. :)

Just got my 20th anniversary controller. Nostalgia is high.

Happy Gaming, everyone!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
i3nEHCj.jpg

adelante

Getting too good at Twisted Metal 2 that my friend and I made own challenging rules for the game's Co-op mode on the hardest difficulty (not lose a life until Paris, use new vehicles each session, etc)

Bollocks

Best PlayStation memory was when I got my PSX on Christmas Eve because I also got a bunch of games with it but some where pirated copies.
I'm like: "Sigh, Dad I need a mod chip to play those games".
Dad: "It's already modded"
It's funny because my dad is not a technical person and then he drops this.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
PS1:

- Getting the thing. I didn't get mine until 1998. I'd been a diehard Nintendo fan up until that point, but was bored out of my mind by the N64. The PS1 finally let me play fighting games, and getting Tekken 3 was something special.

- Metal Gear Solid. I had two demos of the game that I played the absolute shit out of. I was so excited for the game, but I wasn't allowed to get it because it was rated M. I did get the game a year later, and loved every minute of it. And it's still one of my favorites.

- Final Fantasy VIII. I loved 7, but 8 was always the one that stood out to me the most. I remember getting to Deling City late at night one Friday, and for whatever reason, that's always been one of my favorite parts in any RPG I've played. The music, the atmosphere, the catacombs you go to as a part of that -- all of it was perfect.

- Fear Effect. Kinda weird that this game's always stuck with me, but I remember playing Fear Effect over labor day weekend, super late at night. I had no idea what to expect, but the Blade Runner/Ghost in the Shell vibe was pretty rad.

PS2:

- Tekken Tag. I remember playing the hell out of the game with some friends, and I recall one of my friends saying "man, I don't really care if graphics get better than this."

- 2001. Just generally. How did we get Devil May Cry, Tony Hawk 3, MGS2, and a bunch of other amazing games back to back like this? The mind boggles.

- Final Fantasy X. Got the game on Christmas Eve. Played it pretty late into the night. The first hour or so of the game is maybe my favorite intro in any game, ever. It was amazing then, and amazing now.

PS3:

- I hated it. Terrible launch, games ran like shit for the system's whole lifespan, and the library never reached the level of quality that the PS1 and PS2 did. A lot of that was due to Japanese development shitting the bed. A few great games here and there notwithstanding, I've never been a fan of the system and I probably never will be.

True Fire

My first PS1 game was Spyro 2. The feeling of leaving Glimmer for the rest time and entering a huge open hub world is something I'll never be able to replicate. Summer Forest seemed absolutely massive to me at the time.

fallingdove

Was primarily a Nintendo fanboy in the 80s and 90s until final fantasy 7 came out. Rented a psx from blockbuster multiple times and played through the first disc of ff7 without a memory card. Got a psx for Christmas later that year and have owned every Sony console since with the exception of the vita.

Even though I was a serious Sega and Ninty fan at the time, dedicated toward owning those 32- and 64-bit next gen units with more anticipation than super-huge, non-gaming-based techno-media conglomerate Sony and their first entry into consoles, I still got hyped up by magazine coverage and Usenet talk in late '94 and ended up importing a Japanese system early to have Ridge Racer and Battle Arena Toshinden only to find myself happiest with Moto Toon GP the most. Loved the controller, the style, and got myself a US launch unit and ended up buying another for my brother to play system link in Doom, Wipeout, and Bushido Blade. Favorite PS system by far because it had the best library of original software and perhaps the best overall genre diversity of any console ever. Every PS system since pales compared to the almighty PS1. Too bad Sony peaked so early.

I was given a PlayStation on Christmas Day of 1996 by my parents, back when I was a kid. I knew I was getting one, and was so excited that I unwrapped it at some ridiculous hour of the morning while everyone was still asleep. The two games I got with it were Rayman and Tomb Raider. 2D platformers were my bread and butter at that point due to playing so many of them on the Mega Drive and Super Nintendo, so Rayman was essentially more of what I was used to, albeit with slightly more impressive graphics. Tomb Raider was technically stunning at the time, and floored me with its 3D movement after years of knowing only 16-bit, but I found it very difficult to get to grips with initially, not to mention quite scary and oppressive in its atmosphere.

What really made the biggest impression on me overall was a demo that featured on the supplementary disc that came with my console. That demo comprised of one (or two?) levels from a game called Crash Bandicoot, and it felt like a true evolution of the genre I knew so well. The visuals were remarkable in their fidelity, colour palette and animation. I was playing a platformer from bottom to top this time instead of left to right, and everything was so endearing and humorous in its presentation that I felt like I was experiencing an interactive saturday morning cartoon. I was wholly bewitched. In true spoiled brat fashion I suppose, I was slightly annoyed at not owning this game instead of what I got, but whatever, the demo was enough and I was thrilled with what I was playing. I could always obtain the full game somehow later down the road.

About two or three hours later after I plugged in my PS1 for the first time, my brother, who was a fair amount older than me by ten years, woke up and came downstairs to find me glued in front of the main television. He handed me two presents. One was Ridge Racer, which I was delighted to get since it was another game featured on the compilation disc that I enjoyed playing. However, it the other gift I received from him that was the real kicker - a brand new copy of Crash Bandicoot. I'm far too hazy in my memory now to remember how I reacted exactly, but I had to have been overjoyed. The timing was just too perfect. I threw my arms around him and kissed him, and then we both sat in front of the TV and commenced to take turns playing it, since he used to be an avid gamer as well, and was actually the person to introduce me to the hobby in the first place. He died about four years later. While he was a major ballbuster who, as an older brother was inclined to do, would torment me constantly with his juvenile antics, the fact that he did that for me was a happy reminder that he truly cared for and loved me, no matter how much I felt he treated me badly at times. That's one of my fondness memories of him, and it's hard to think back on that day and not well up a bit. Just one of those perfect family moments.

AniHawk

my first experience with a 3d game of any kind was on playstation. i was at a fedco, at the games section, and there was a small crowd surrounding a demo for twisted metal. ten year old me had no clue what this thing was. i just remember it was a game where you blew things up with cars. it was neat.

a couple years later, i had enough money to buy a game console of my own. i thought the only two choices were saturn and n64. having seen commercials for stuff like jaguar, and knowing just a tiny bit about stuff like cd-i and 3do, i thought 'playstation' with its generic name and shaped-buttons was some cheap knockoff brand, so i didn't pay it any attention. as such, i ignored the platform until 2002 when i picked up a ps2 and played some ps1 titles. they were not bad. chrono cross, final fantasy viii, ix, and tactics were all enjoyable, and i found myself collecting rpgs that to this day i still haven't completed, including lunar, lunar 2, persona 2, breath of fire iii, and breath of fire iv. probably my favorite memory would be getting final fantasy viii. it was a shitty copy of the game (scratched disc, sticker residue on the case, etc), but that day i bought it was the first time i had ever driven anywhere on my own, as i had just gotten my driver's license.

and ffviii had a really awesome final boss. though cheap in how it could murder stats, i found it thrilling, and super memorable.

The Playstation 1 was the first system I got on launch day. That would be 9/9/1995 here in the US. I was 22. I'd rented the Saturn, but decided to pass on its launch in favor of a Playstation. I had pre-ordered it and got a black CD of music and tech demos (including the awesome T-Rex demo). Of course, I couldn't play the demos until I got the Playstation.

Between that pre-launch disc and the demo disc that came with it (including a Wipeout demo), I wasn't even mad that it was the first system I'd ever bought that didn't come with a game.

The launch games were okay, but it was a little later that year that it really kicked into gear. By then, I had Tekken, Rayman, Jumping Flash!, Warhawk, Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Air Combat, Raiden Project, and Doom.

I have to say, looking back, that's probably the best 1st-year or "launch window" lineup of any system, ever.

Aceofspades

Banned
The day Nintendo and Sega became irrelevant to me. I don't regret that one bit.

Playing X2, Demo disc and TR was one of those magical days of my childhood.

gate777

PS1: My buddy called me one night and said "hey, do you know how to set up a playstation? I just bought one" - my mind was blown!- There weren't much games with the initial launch but when he first bought FFVII I was SOLD! Traded in my SNES and a bunch of games and got the playstation with FFVII and never looked back. SO many games that I enjoyed...

PS2: I reserved super early so I was one of the lucky few to get it at launch. A bunch of us were at a local arcade the night before and it was like Christmas eve even though it was late October! We played SSX all night long and the sheer vastness of its library had me using it consistently well into 2008 or so.

PS3: Bought it in March 2007. Alright system and some great games later on in its life.

Vita: Amazon had a great sale for the white version so I picked it up in December '12. I enjoy all PS1 and indie games on it; awesome machine!

PS4: Still pending a purchase but one day for sure....

PS2 and Playstation are my favourite by far.

sfedai0

Banned
Bought mine used for $175 from a classmate in 10th grade, which was a lot of money to me. Came with a racing game that I cant quite remember, but it did have CGI commercials in between the racing segments which blew my mind.

I just remember being so blown away at the CD tech, coming from the cartridge era. I got Twisted Metal shortly after and was mind blown again at not just 3D environments, but that it allowed free roaming. So many games that introduced innovation to their respective genre. MGS, Resident Evil, FF7, Castlevania, etc.

Only the Commodore 64 came close to giving me as many memorable moments that the PS1 era did. Never did achieve the same level of excitement in the following gen.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
First time I played on the PS1 was Crash Bandicoot at a friend's house with my brother. I don't remember the exact year, must have been 1996. My brother already had a Saturn, so it wasn't our first foray into the new gen, but we were amazed by the graphics and production values.

I later scrounged up all my allowance money to buy my very first console (all previous ones had been purchased by my brothers), the Playstation, as well as Crash Bandicoot, some time in mid 1997. We had no memory card at this time, and saved our progress with passwords. xD

Another game we (my brother and I) had read about in Die Hard GameFan was Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. We had seen a video review on TV (yep, on a community TV kind of channel IIRC) that complained about clunky controls and horrible loading times, so we were reluctant to buy it, but it still looked cool so we decided to rent it. Having no way to save, we didn't get far, but we fell in love with the game's aesthetic, atmosphere, storytelling and the gameplay and controls were solid after all (though we had to agree that the loading times were pretty bad). So we later both combined our allowance money to buy a copy + a memory card. Our dad was with us and raised an eyebrow at the M17 rating (I was 14 going on 15 at the time, my brother was 17) but I just told him "c'mon dad, it's cool, it's not worse than Mortal Kombat and I already played that when I was 12, plus we rented it already" and he just shrugged and took my word for it, and let us buy it. xD

Next game was Wild ARMs. Put it on my birthday wishlist and played it for like 8 hours straight that day. To this day I still like it better than FF7 (which was my first game pre-order ever, got a free t-shirt for it xD) which I got about a month later.

Favourites:

- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
- Wild ARMs
- Silent Hill
- Suikoden II
- Alundra
- Resident Evil 2
- Crash Bandicoot 2
- Skullmonkeys
- Metal Gear Solid

(Goddamn Konami was so good back then... :( )

-----

Not that many fond memories of the PS2. That console, whilst the most popular ever, didn't quite grab me with its games the way the PS1 did. I did get one of course, and enjoyed the famous sequels - MGS2, Silent Hill 2, Soul Reaver 2, Suikoden 3, RE4, etc. but the new IPs mostly failed to grab me. I wasn't much of a gamer during that generation, I guess, especially in the later part of that gen and early into the next one. So the period between 2005 and 2009 was pretty slow, gaming-wise, for me. I don't really have many nostalgic moments about it.

Favourites:

- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
- Legacy of Kain: Defiance
- Silent Hill 2
- Metal Gear Solid 2
- Metal Gear Solid 3
- Suikoden III

-----

For Christmas, I'm not sure which year.... maybe 2008 or 2009? My boyfriend decided to be incredibly generous to everyone, and he offered me a PSP, a Wii to his parents, and a Nintendo DS to his best friend. Wow. <3 I've never been into handhelds, this was my first, but I was excited because I really wanted to play Silent Hill Origin, MGS Portable Ops, and FFT War of the Lions. In the end I barely played the first two xD and used it mostly to replay digital PS1 classics like FFT (the enhanced version was really nice) and SotN (unlocked via the Dracula X Chronicles game which I also barely played...). The only original PSP game I actually played to completion was Jeanne d'Arc. Playing on handhelds for too long tend to hurt my hands, though the 3DS is worse than the PSP for that for some reason, and I just prefer the big screen so the PSP was used pretty much only for travelling. I still use it for travels/commute occasionally, but I pretty much just play PS1 classics on it...

Favourites:

- Jeanne d'Arc
- Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
- Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
- Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

-----

I was also underwhelmed by the PS3 at first, as well. My boyfriend bought a 360, I think some time in 2008, which I agreed was the better choice at the time and we played Gears of War and RE5 together for a while.

I eventually bought the MGS4 bundle off a friend in late 2009 at a discount, long after it had been discontinued, and was suddenly excited about the Playstation again. But the game disappointed the hell out of me and I barely played it*.

I then got Uncharted and Demon's Souls for Christmas, and almost rage-quit Demon's Souls after a streak of bad luck early in the game, so I spent most of my 2009/2010 holiday season playing Uncharted instead. But, I quickly finished that and was left with nothing to play on the PS3, so some time in early 2010 I reluctantly gave it another shot....

... and I was hooked into the gaming world and long gaming binges once more. Thank you Demon's Souls and Miyazaki. <3

* I eventually did return to MGS4, almost a year later, and beat it, but it soured me on the franchise forever. I don't know if I'll ever bother with MGS5 because of it (and also because FucKonami and Quiet).

Favourites:

- Demon's Souls
- Dark Souls
- Dark Souls II
- Dragon's Crown
- Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
- Uncharted 2
- The Last of Us

-----

Got a PS4 this year, for Bloodborne of course. Too soon for nostalgia obviously, but I have no regrets. -)

Favourites:

- Bloodborne

Too soon to tell for the rest of the favourites. I enjoyed Wolfenstein: The New Order and TLoU: Remaster for retail games so far, and a few indies/low-budget games like Dust: An Elysian Tail and Valiant Hearts, but nothing I'd really consider "favourites" yet. I'm hyped for these though:

- Dark Souls 3
- Horizon: Dawn Zero
- Uncharted 4
- new Ys
- bunch of indies like Cosmic Star Heroine, Slain!, Salt & Sanctuary, Viking Squad and Death's Gambit

Melchiah

PS1

I bought the system in May 1998, when I turned 23, five years after I had sold my Amiga and quitted gaming. The change in gaming culture was what picked my interest, and as an old horror fan I naturally bought Resident Evil with the system. It took a while before I came grips with the controls, but after that I absolutely loved the game and its atmosphere. The system and its games (particularly Silent Hill and Soul Reaver) rekindled my love for gaming, and I'm still here after 17 years, as excited about what's available and ahead as I was back then.

Favorites:
  • Silent Hill
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • WipEout 2097

PS2

I reserved the system before the launch, and was one of the 5000 lucky ones in Finland who got it at launch. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford a memory card for a week, so I had to play only the first few tracks of SSX, which was a jaw-dropping game at the time. The first year was amazing with games like Shadow of Memories, Silent Hill 2, and Soul Reaver 2. I still hold SH2 as the best game of all time.

Favorites:
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Silent Hill 3
  • Shadow of Memories
  • Final Fantasy X
  • SSX

PS3

Bought the system near the end of 2007, when my launch PS2 started having problems with reading discs, and I got the RFOM & MotorStorm bundle with 60&#8364; discount. This generation marked a change for me, when I moved towards 1st party offerings from playing mostly 3rd party titles. During the previous gens, Sony's own games didn't interest me that much, apart from WipEout, but they certainly improved and met my tastes on the PS3. Although, it was a bit disappointing gen due to the lack of horror games, but luckily that has now changed.

Favorites:
  • The Last of Us
  • WipEout HD
  • Journey
  • God of War III
  • Bioshock Infinite

PS4

Reserved the system after E3, and bought it at launch with a flawed but entertaining and visually impressive Killzone: Shadow Fall. Got my first platinum from Resogun, which I still continue to play every monday when a new weekly mission becomes available. I also got properly introduced to Miyazaki's twisted visions with Bloodborne, which captured me for over four months, and gave me a 6th platinum. I've played more games now, than during the first two years of the two previous generations combined.

The coming of indies was very welcome, as I no longer need to look longingly towards the PC side. Not to mention the revival of horror, which is the most wonderful thing about this generation. Can't wait for SOMA's release two weeks from now.

Favorites so far:
  • Bloodborne
  • Driveclub
  • Resogun
  • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • Infamous: Second Son

Jigorath

Banned
Playing the original Resident Evil when I was kid is one of my favorite gaming memories. I still vividly remember jumping out of my seat when the dog came through the window. Early PS2 games blew my mind when I played them. Especially MGS2 and Jak & Daxter. Jake was such a large, expansive platformer unlike anything I played on the PS1. MGS2's attention to detail was insane.

Melchiah

Username quote? :)

Oh I don't know if I ever asked you, but did you ever play Blood Omen, by any chance?

You've inspired me to edit my post and add my favourites. Good idea.

Heh. Unfortunately only the beginning of it. I bought it after SR, and it was just too different for my tastes. I did read and watch videos of BO's story to learn more about the lore though.

One of the reasons for why I love Bloodborne is that it reminds me of SR to some extent.

EDIT: I'll have to check what your favorites are.

My brother got his playstation 1 Christmas 1998 with Fifa and I got Spyro the dragon.
One of the best Christmas ever!
Still love playing the original Spyro trilogie.

At the playstation 2 gen I was a Nintendo fan and only played ps2 at friends houses but with the PS3 in 2011 my playstation love came back.
I also have the limited metal gear ps4

Also played with friends the crash team racing demo on the Spyro disc to death.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Heh. Unfortunately only the beginning of it. I bought it after SR, and it was just too different for my tastes. I did read and watch videos of BO's story to learn more about the lore though.

One of the reasons for why I love Bloodborne is that it reminds me of SR to some extent.

EDIT: I'll have to check what your favorites are.
Edits are in.

Shame you didn't get into LoK. It's still my favourite. And yes, the dark gothic fantasy aesthetic of Bloodborne should definitely appeal to fans of LoK, even though it turns out to be [BB spoilers]
more Lovecraftian than classic gothic horror in the end
! Which is also awesome, but I'd love to see a new game in the classic dark/gothic fantasy style like Legacy of Kain some day.

Dalto11

Man, I got my PS1 for my 5th birthday, it was right before Kindergarten, in February of '98. I remember my mother taking me over to my grandmother's house (she lived next door at the time) and surprising me with the thing. I still remember the box, getting at excited at finally having one of my own because my waaaay older half-brother had one. It came the Interactive Sampler volume 5 ( I guess the console was produced in '97 because of this). I played the hell out of the Armored Core demo on there, and seeing the video for Crash Bandicoot 2 made me get the first one as my very first PS1 game.

Playstation 1 really got me into playing games, that Half Life for the PC. Then the PS2 came out and the PS1 eventually gave out (the disc spindle broke into pieces). On the Christmas of 2001 my parents bought a PS2 for me and my slighlty less older brother with a copy of Grand Theft Auto 3. In retrospect that was a terrible gift for an 8 year old and a 12 year old, but we played it until the disc died. Playstation really defined gaming for me until my early teens, with the advent of the Halo series and all. I love my playstations, and I'm happy to own a collection for all 4 of them + the handhelds. I just recently got a vita and I'm already 12 physical games in and probably 30+ digital titles.

Slixshot

Banned
PS1 Era: Playing Spyro the dragon with one of my good friends in his basement. I didn't have a Playstation but thought that game was so good!

PS2 Era: Jak and Daxter with my best friend. LOVED that game.

PS3 Era: So many good memories... So hard to pick... Maybe getting the Platinum in Vanquish after two weeks of dedicated playing every day. Or maybe The Last of Us (my favorite game). Experiencing Shadow of the Colossus for the first time? Maybe... Gah such a great system

PS4 Era: So far so good!! Tons of great experiences on this awesome system. Rocket League being my go-to game for the past couple of months! Dying Light was one hell of a time earlier this year and The Witcher was phenomenal. Next-gen Batman was dope no matter what you try to tell me. 100% FEZ was one hell of a journey.

VITA ERA: Persona 4 Golden - In the top 5 games I've ever played.

Edit: How on earth did I forget to mention Bloodborne? One of my favorite gaming experiences in quite some time!

TL;DR - Playstation is awesome.

I remember buying the system at launch, which was also my dad's birthday. Bought him some imported beer,a few steaks, and i bought myself a PSX :) Only weird thing that stands out was i remember this 40 year old dork in line with the rest of us spouting off about the Sega Saturn being so awful. I still remember his over the top bullshit about the console.."I thought I was playing Genesis!!!" We all sorta rolled our eyes and wanted to slap this virgin but we were just happy to have our PSOne's that day,anxious to get home and play the games. I hated Ridge Racer and still do,worst game I've ever bought at launch. But Toshinden was amazing,my friends and I played that for months on end. Sometime after launch I grabbed Air Combat and ESPN X Games also,both just kicked my ass they were so good.

Melchiah

Edits are in.

Shame you didn't get into LoK. It's still my favourite. And yes, the dark gothic fantasy aesthetic of Bloodborne should definitely appeal to fans of LoK, even though it turns out to be [BB spoilers]
more Lovecraftian than classic gothic horror in the end
! Which is also awesome, but I'd love to see a new game in the classic dark/gothic fantasy style like Legacy of Kain some day.

Good selection of games. I noticed that most of LOK/SR games were there. ;) I liked SR2 and Defiance as well, but I think the series was in a downwards spiral after the first SR. BO2 was just atrocious, and it's kinda funny that I played it through but not the first, which is supposed to be a far better game.

I feel bad for not playing the Souls games, and I think it's too late to go back to them after BB and the generational shift.

The way BB's gameworld sprawls and spreads reminds me of SR as well, and how you wake up in a world gone mad with deformed beings roaming the land. They both also emit a similar feeling of mystery and awe with their lore and surroundings.

The 1-2-3 combo of playing Final Fantasy XII in 2006, then Persona 3 FES in 2007, and then Persona 4 (GOAT) in 2008 on the PS2 hasn't been matched for me. PS2 was a great console for RPGs.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Good selection of games. I noticed that most of LOK/SR games were there. ;) I liked SR2 and Defiance as well, but I think the series was in a downwards spiral after the first SR. BO2 was just atrocious, and it's kinda funny that I played it through but not the first, which is supposed to be a far better game.
Yeah, SR2 and Defiance weren't as good. SR2 suffered from overly long cut scenes (they were good scenes, but still, too long, and unskippable, argh) and it didn't have the same Zelda/Metroid-like semi-open structure and was a bit more linear. The levels themselves were great though, as were the puzzles which improved over the somewhat repetitive block puzzles. Defiance improved on a few things too but focused a bit too much on the repetitive combat. Still, it was good to play as Kain again. <3 My favourite moment is when you
battle Raziel as Kain, then switch to Raziel to battle Kain... haha, fucking awesome. I cried "nooooo" when Kain "died", but I still suspected he'd come back somehow... and cheered so hard when he did. Best character ever. <3

Can't believe you beat that character-assassinating canon-fuckery BO2 abomination and skipped BO1. Shame on you. :(

I feel bad for not playing the Souls games, and I think it's too late to go back to them after BB and the generational shift.
You should indeed feel bad. :p I don't think the generational shift would be an issue unless you really really care about graphics. These games have held up plenty well.

The PlayStation 2 was the first console I ever got frustrated with. Memory card management seemed more annoying this time around and I remember those knock off yellow memory cards that fucked up my controllers. The PS2 also tended to get those Disc Read Errors a lot and I went through three PS2s in that generation. The PS2 library I think is the best one out there with maybe the SNES tying with it.

My Favorites:
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Tekken Tag Tournament
Tekken 4
Tekken 5
Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Bully
Street Hoops
SSX Tricky
Okami
God of War
God of War II
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/ Subsistence
Resident Evil 4
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
Def Jam Fight for New York

I still mourn for my PS2. In the year 2009, my third PS2 died and I was never able to beat Persona 3 which I just bought. I was only nine hours in when it died. I want to get another one, one of these days so I can play all those games again one day and a bunch of games I missed out on.

Games on PS2 I still want to play, but never got the chance to:
Rogue Galaxy
Black
Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts Covenant
Shadow Hearts The New World
Silent Hill 2
A Ratchet & Clank game
Persona 4

Games I never got to finish
Persona 3
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition

MAX PAYMENT

Borrowed my buddy's ps1 to play MGS1.I didn't even know what it was until I put it in. Blew my tint little mind. I was hooked on gaming before, but that's when it became a life long hobby.

PillarEN

Just gonna stick with PS1 memories.

I never owned one myself but it seemed that many kids in my neighborhood had one so I pretty much had access to it at any time. The Crash Bandicoot games (especially 2 and 3) were a big deal for me as I love platformers. Hell Crash Team Racing was a big surprise. It still may be the best kart racer out there.

For multiplayer it was about sports games and I lived in a place that adored ice hockey so the NHL games were the go to sports games. Blitz was a distant second. However when Tony Hawks Pro Skater came out that changed everything. That game took over everyone's lives in my neighborhood. I was never down with the second one but THPS is still one of my all time favorites. Did anybody ever actually buy Cool Boarders games? They seemed to always be on demo discs.

My good buddy played FF7 in front of me. I didn't understand what the big deal was as the hype did not reach me at the time. I think I was mainly blown away by the disc amount lol.

On a more important note, the PS1 is the console that actually brought console gaming to Eastern Europe. I spent my summers back on the old continent and this was the de facto console. Playstation has dominated the market there ever since. Oh yeah fuck 50hz. Damn you Europe for that. I feel so bad for so many of my Euro buddies who had to put up with that.

L.O.R.D

PS1 :
Crash bandicoot
Resident evil
spyro
Tomb Raider 3
tekken 3
digimon world and card
spiderman
fighting force

GnawtyDog

Banned
My first Naughty Dog game: Crash Bandicoot. Fav developer instant switch from RARE to ND from that point forward. Sucker Punch made a run with Sly during the PS2 days but that's about it.

Pilgrimzero

Taking my PS1 to a party so I could keep playing Tomb Raider.

Playing Twisted Metal in my new apt with my new roommates.

Finally beating RE2 both ways during a party at my house.

FF7. Even came with a t-shirt when I picked it up.

Melchiah

Yeah, SR2 and Defiance weren't as good. SR2 suffered from overly long cut scenes (they were good scenes, but still, too long, and unskippable, argh) and it didn't have the same Zelda/Metroid-like semi-open structure and was a bit more linear. The levels themselves were great though, as were the puzzles which improved over the somewhat repetitive block puzzles. Defiance improved on a few things too but focused a bit too much on the repetitive combat. Still, it was good to play as Kain again. <3 My favourite moment is when you
battle Raziel as Kain, then switch to Raziel to battle Kain... haha, fucking awesome. I cried "nooooo" when Kain "died", but I still suspected he'd come back somehow... and cheered so hard when he did. Best character ever. <3

Can't believe you beat that character-assassinating canon-fuckery BO2 abomination and skipped BO1. Shame on you. :(

You should indeed feel bad. :p I don't think the generational shift would be an issue unless you really really care about graphics. These games have held up plenty well.

The absence of SR-like world structure was one of the downers, as was the lack of good bossfights, which were replaced with button smash fests. I also disliked greatly the way they put you inside a force field to fight against multiple enemies throughout the game. The puzzles and graphics were some of the few things where it surpassed its predecessor. The decreased amount of platforming was a big plus as well.

My favorite moment in Defiance was finally meeting
Turel
, but sadly it wasn't quite like what I thought it would be.

Yeah, I still wonder why the hell didn't I just quit playing the mess that BO2 was. I guess I just had to do it for the lore, but I ended up hating the addition of
Hylden
, and wishing they were never brought to Defiance.

It's always hard for me to go back to past gen's games, with the exception of WipEout HD and Silent Hill 3, which have aged pretty well. From what I've read, the Souls games run pretty poorly on the PS3. Then there's the difference in combat.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ah...so many great times....how am i supposed to keep track of them all?

Playing 2Extreme on that old PS1 demo disc with my sister about 20 years ago christmas morning always reminds me of great times.

I think i'll fire my PS1 up and play a spot of Cool boarders

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The absence of SR-like world structure was one of the downers, as was the lack of good bossfights, which were replaced with button smash fests. I also disliked greatly the way they put you inside a force field to fight against multiple enemies throughout the game. The puzzles and graphics were some of the few things where it surpassed its predecessor. The decreased amount of platforming was a big plus as well.

My favorite moment in Defiance was finally meeting
Turel
, but sadly it wasn't quite like what I thought it would be.

Yeah, I still wonder why the hell didn't I just quit playing the mess that BO2 was. I guess I just had to do it for the lore, but I ended up hating the addition of
Hylden
, and wishing they were never brought to Defiance.

It's always hard for me to go back to past gen's games, with the exception of WipEout HD and Silent Hill 3, which have aged pretty well. From what I've read, the Souls games run pretty poorly on the PS3. Then there's the difference in combat.

The
Hylden
were included in Defiance because, well, someone had to retcon the mess the BO2 team made (that someone being Amy Hennig, kudos to her). But yeah I wish they were never added at all, so that Defiance could have continued the story without taking BO2 into account. I just wish BO2 didn't exist, period. :p

The Souls games don't run all that well on the PS3, this is true, but if you're OK with how Bloodborne ran, I can't imagine you'd have such a problem with the Souls games... Demon's Souls in particular runs fine for the most part and combat is almost as fast as Bloodborne. The only really bad part is Blighttown in Dark Souls. And if you have a half-decent gaming PC, it's also an option.

AmyS

I bought PlayStation Toys 'R US and three games at Babbage's at launch and an extra controller.

su4S1X1.jpg
0EBLx7Z.jpg
NvhfUv2.jpg

But for me, the real joy came in October and November when I got:

Byc8KPN.jpg
69Ondff.jpg

Melchiah

The
Hylden
were included in Defiance because, well, someone had to retcon the mess the BO2 team made (that someone being Amy Hennig, kudos to her). But yeah I wish they were never added at all, so that Defiance could have continued the story without taking BO2 into account. I just wish BO2 didn't exist, period. :p

The Souls games don't run all that well on the PS3, this is true, but if you're OK with how Bloodborne ran, I can't imagine you'd have such a problem with the Souls games... Demon's Souls in particular runs fine for the most part and combat is almost as fast as Bloodborne. The only really bad part is Blighttown in Dark Souls. And if you have a half-decent gaming PC, it's also an option.

It's hard to imagine the series could ever properly continue without her.

I have Demon's Souls, as it was offered on PS+, but I dunno if I'll ever return to it. Quitted back then after being killed few times by the Red-Eyed Knight. I take it, that's not uncommon occurrence with newcomers. I usually have no desire to return to past gen's games after a new cycle has begun, which is why it's a shame I didn't play them back then. Although, if I had I might not have appreciated BB as much as I did. So, in that sense it might have been a blessing in disguise.

Sblargh

Banned
PS1 was also my first CD player (on my bedroom). So, confuse memories of teenager me involving FF7, Chrono Cross and Pink Floyd.

Top Bottom