• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyan teases realMyst: Masterpiece Edition

First there was Myst.
Then there was Myst: Masterpiece Edition which was the original game with remastered stills (higher color depth) and remastered audio.

Then there was realMyst that was a remake of the game with a 3D game engine. But realMyst was actually re-remade in a modern engine (Unity) in 2012 and released for iOS devices.

Now Cyan is teasing realMyst: Masterpiece Edition and logically it's going to be a souped up release of the 2012 remake, but now for PC/Mac(/consoles?).

http://cyan.com/realmyst-masterpiece-edition-close-but/

main-capsule-image-3j3q1z.png

realMyst: Masterpiece Edition is looking amazing! And… well… it’s so close, but not quite ready. We’ve decided to hold on for another few weeks to clean up a couple things and polish a couple new features.

Sorry we didn’t make 2013, but we know you’ll be happier with the results. It’ll be worth the wait.

We’ll be teasing with a few things as we lead up to launch. Stay tuned!

~ Posted on 24th of December 2013.

I found the original realMyst PC release to be easily the superior experience compared to the plain "Myst" versions, and if they have now fixed the awkward controls (and why wouldn't they? It's 2014, it's Unity, and they have made a few 3D games since their first efforts with realMyst) it'll be perfect. Bring it on.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I own realMyst but never played through it (only finished the original Myst). I would play this.

I'm surprised Myst would be delayed, considering how very small the areas are in that game to explore. I only played the original once with with a my Dad on our old 75 MHz Acer. I probably don't need to play it again as I don't imagine it holding-up well.

I also found this, posted back in September, which is the first mention of the updates they made for this re-re-release: http://cyan.com/realmyst-update/

For Myst’s 20th anniversary, we’d like to give you a glimpse of what we’ve done with realMyst. Here’s a list of a few features we think you’ll look forward to.

Deferred Dynamic Lighting with realtime shadowing.
Day/night cycles… including Channelwood.
Updated water effects with realtime reflections.
Classic Controls. Explore every inch using standard 3d controls, or choose to relive the experince using classic point and click controls.

mechanical-fortresswkpth.jpg

channelwood-nightvvpo6.jpg

myst-island-dayepruk.jpg

Thanks to all our friends and fans for their continued support over the years. We appreciate everything you’ve done for us. Stay tuned for more information.
-Rand

Unfortunately the screenshots look kind of garbage to me. Updated with modern shaders yes, but badly implemented. They look plastic-y, bloom-y, etc to me.

Eh, but maybe they made improvements since then, dunno. At least the option to control the game as it did originally sounds very cool.

But that just looks like realMyst without the somber and rainy atmosphere :|

I guess i'll but it anyway... hopefully one day they do the same with Riven!

I can always use an excuse to replay Myst. I don't know if it's just nostalgia or not, but every time I hear any of the Myst music, I just get a warm fuzzy feeling.

But that just looks like realMyst without the somber and rainy atmosphere :|

I guess i'll but it anyway... hopefully one day they do the same with Riven!

Yes! They've done so much for Myst, they really need to go back and do it for Riven as well.

I actually never beat Riven until recently. Having to change CDs every time you went to a different island pissed me off so much back in the day that I flat out quit. Finally got it on Steam a year ago.

angrygnat

I almost bought a Sega Saturn so I could play Myst long ago. I never beat it, and I haven't played it for so long, I feel like Ive forgotten enough to make it interesting again. I actually bought Riven and returned it. I really tried hard to get into it, but my computer was slow, and made it excruciating going back and forth. Def would give it another try if they make a new version.

fvng

this series has a surprisingly amount of sequels that are legitimately better than the original game in the series, but far more overlooked.

jett

D-Member
I remember RealMyst blowing me away back in 2000 or so, it just looked incredible for its time.

This looks like crap.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Enough with the Myst updates, do something with Riven pls. Greatest adventure game ever.

Seriously, this is all I want. The closest we have is the Starry Expanse fan project, but it often goes long periods without updates on progress. Hasn't been updated since October, and it's been in development since 2008.

I also found this, posted back in September, which is the first mention of the updates they made for this re-re-release: http://cyan.com/realmyst-update/

Unfortunately the screenshots look kind of garbage to me. Updated with modern shaders yes, but badly implemented. They look plastic-y, bloom-y, etc to me.

Eh, but maybe they made improvements since then, dunno. At least the option to control the game as it did originally sounds very cool.

Jesus christ those all look awful

djlr181

"We have to go back!"

Edit: I might be willing to give the game another spin just for the music. Also, where's realRIVEN?

Top Bottom