• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last-Stop-Speak-In-Hyperbole Official Revolution Specs Thread

Jeff-DSA

[MOD POWER ABUSE]

December 6, 2005 - Just yesterday IGN Revolution launched with technical details on Nintendo's next-generation console, codenamed Revolution. And today more development sources have come forward with both clarification and even more tech specs. The latest news begins to paint a clearer picture of Nintendo's aim with its next platform.

We cannot stress this enough: Revolution is not being positioned as a competitor to either Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. Nintendo has instead chosen to design a console that will be very affordable for consumers. For that very reason, say developers in the know, the Big N has opted out of filling the system with a massive supply of expensive RAM.
In yesterday's article, we wrote that Revolution would include 128MBs of RAM, or possibly less. Developers have clarified the makeup based on officially released Nintendo documentation.

Revolution will build on GameCube's configuration of 24MBs 1T-SRAM and 16MBs D-RAM (40MBs) by adding an addition 64MBs of 1T-SRAM. The result is a supply of memory in Revolution that totals 104MBs. That number does not consider either the 512MBs of allegedly accessible (but hardly ideal) Flash RAM or the Hollywood GPU's on-board memory, said to be 3MBs by sources.

Revolution's Broadway CPU, developed by IBM, is an extension of the Gekko CPU in GameCube, according to official Nintendo documentation passed to us by software houses. The Hollywood GPU, meanwhile, is believed to be an extension of the Flipper GPU in GameCube. Since developers have not gone hands-on with the GPU, they can only go on Nintendo documentation, which is limited.

Exact clock rates were not disclosed, but one development source we spoke to had this to say of the Revolution CPU and GPU: "Basically, take a GameCube, double the clock rate of the CPU and GPU and you're done."

We presented that description to another informed studio, which clarified that the clock rates may even fall short of doubling those on GameCube.

"The CPU is the same as Gekko with one and a half to two times the performance and improved caching," said a source. "Our guys experimented with it and think they'll be able to get about twice the performance as GameCube."

"It's a gamble for the Big N," said another source. "It's not about horsepower for them -- it's about innovation and gameplay."

We've also been able to unearth firm details on the storage capacity for Revolution discs. Recent rumors suggesting that the discs can hold 12GBs of data are false. In fact, Revolution discs can store 4.7GBs of data on a single layer or 8.5GBs when double-layered on a single-side. This is a massive jump from the 1.5GB capacity of GameCube discs and more than enough storage capacity for any non-high-definition game.

Readers discouraged by Revolution's seeming lack of horsepower when compared to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 should remember that Nintendo is not interested in competing in the high-definition gaming arena, and as a standard-definition console, Revolution is more than capable. Capcom's Resident Evil 4 remains one of the most gorgeous games this generation and it ran on GameCube, a console at least half as powerful according to developer reports.

Software houses we spoke with also waxed on the immediate advantage to Nintendo's approach with Revolution, which is, of course, system price. Every developer was in agreement that Revolution should launch with a price tag of $149 or lower. Some speculated that based on the tech, a $99 price point would not be out of the question.
Stay tuned for more as it develops.

Source

So this is the thread. Discuss it in here and do not make repeat threads. Thank you

[MOD POWER ABUSE]
Matt IGN said:
Whoa baby. I should put an end to some speculation before it runs out of control.

Tonight's article will be a continuation of last night's. Satoru Iwata has not personally delivered us the full spec breakdown. Nintendo doesn't want to talk specs and I don't think anything we do will really change that.

That said, devs do have official documentation and it has been directly quoted to me over the phone.

Tonight, we'll talk a bit more about CPU / GPU power. We'll also have a clarification on RAM. (And before you go thinking that we messed up and it has 512MBs, think again -- it's the other way.) And we'll reveal the real DVD capacity. That 12GB stuff was completely bogus.

Devs also speculate on a price point.

Can someone do me a favor and pass this along to the guys at the GA Forum before they toss me into the bonfire.

Thanks.

Matt
[/MOD POWER ABUSE]

IGN Forum Post:

Date Posted: 10:47am Subject: Rev Specs

More coming tonight. Stay tuned.

Matt

Speculate!

EDIT: here's the link for IGN Insiders - http://boards.ign.com/revolution_general_board/b8263/104642567/p1/?14

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Nintendo read the article and got scared!

Self damage control tonight!

Speculation: Posting the HIGHEST possible specs they can for the bottom line tonight to stem fan fears... will downgrade closer to launch time.

datruth29

Finally! The only good that will come out of this is that we wont have to deal with the freakin speculation anymore. Now we will just have to deal with the "I told you so", "Nintenblows!!!", or "Nintenowns!!!" topics.....

BuddyC

My thoughts?

"Boy am I glad it's one of those nights I stay at my girlfriend's place."

You guys, uh, you guys have fun. Don't make too big of a mess.

3rdman

I'm sure that whatever they are, it'll be considered too low. But, as I said in a thread I once started, this is a good plan by Nintendo and will set them apart from the "mega-spenders" while still doing what they do so well.

Mashing

Sometimes rampant speculation can be more damaging than the truth.

What I believe will happen is we'll get SOME specs, but not all.

Stench

Banned
ij2_ia_219_r_bg.jpg

Bob White

:lol

Fuck that shit, I gotta get up early. Someone just post the xbox specs and lets be done with it............I kid, I kid.

[Nintex]

Tonight.... specs everything or something like:
I was wrong its not 128 mb ram its 256 mb ram

Nintencrowd: OMFG REVOLUTION!! POWERFULL!!

TUESDAYTON!

Now, why did Matt have to do this on the day before my Business Communication presentation? God, if I fail it from staying up all night on GAF, it's Matt's fault. :lol

Akia

Matt just confirmed another 10 page thread!

He also just gave the trolls an early notice. Sharpen your swords.

Kseutron

How reliable is this s**t ! I can't believe Nintendo is gonna reveal anything about this at a time like this........

I'm planting my flag right in this thread, so I can say I was there before it popped off crazy. :lol

Also, link some previous Rev speculation threads; we can see who got close to what we might actually get tonight. :eek:

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
whats that sound? oh its shit hitting the fan. things to expect tonight: Gaimeguy owning himself? Drinky hating on the DS? Demi making his suprise return? one thing is for sure, no matter what these specs are, this thread is going to get angry, like an old man trying to send back a soup at a deli.... :D i cant wait

Akia

It is the calm before the storm.

Will GAF survive the night? Who will get banned? Tune in tonight!

Vieo

No matter what they are, n-haters will still call 'teh suckie'.

So let me start them off with a couple for free...

"Revolution, more like devolution!", "GCN1.5", "Xbox1.5", "No HD is a BIG mistake.", "No HD, no buy.", "It looks like PS3 is the only true next-gen console.", "Not enough memory.", "Not enough CPU cores.", "Dolby Pro Logic II sucks", "It's too small so I might lose it.", "Yamauchi am cry.", "Nbots eat crow.", "No Unreal 3.0 = no sale.", "Nintendo 3rd/2nd party by 2008.", ETC, ETC.

Mashing

I predict this thread will be 4-5 pages before the specs are even released. GAF LOVES TO TALK ABOUT NOTHING!

;)

I'll be right there in the middle of it

Chrono

Banned
uh.. he just said more tonight.

Probably a few more developer comments and processor speed or something.

NO WAY will nintendo reveal their specs now and like this. They said they won't anyway.

Predictions anyone?

I say he has developer interviews, and he'll confirm that some interesting developers are supporting the system already. Plus of course he might have some little tidbits on specs. Nothing big imo.

awaits Matt's cue for fellow Ntards to savagly masturbate

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Stench said:
:lol

My thoughts exactly.

sorryaboutdresden said:
This is a lock to hit ten. I'm willing to go as far as 15.

Heck, I think it might easily sail past 15 and hit 20 (unless a separate thread with just the specs gets created...but even then this still might hit 20).

I can't wait. GAF is gonna be on fire tonight!!

polg

I predict... 10 page thread about nothing til the specs hit... the another massive thread about speculation :p

Top Bottom