• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last-Stop-Speak-In-Hyperbole Official Revolution Specs Thread

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
masud said:
News from the REVGB.
Matt said:
There's a big rumor going around that it will have a PPU. It's JUST a rumor, though. From what I can tell, no developers have any knowledge of the device including a PPU. I'm checking into it.

Matt

Has this been posted yet?
What is a PPU and what does it do?
Also I predict a lot of disappointments. If were something official, Nintendo would have already announced it.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Mihail said:
Why would Nintendo lift it? I'm not denying they did (or "will" tonight), but it just seems to be a ridiculous thing to do, strategically speaking.
The only thing I can think of as to why they would lift an NDA would be if all the rumors flying about regarding the Revo being only slightly more powerful than an Xbox were false. Nintendo would want to squash those rumors as quickly as possible.

That being said, I don't think any NDAs were lifted, I don't think any real specs will be posted tonight (more dev speculation from Matt), and I think the Revo probably is a souped up Xbox.

MadOdorMachine said:
Also I predict a lot of disappointments. If were something official, Nintendo would have already announced it.

A chip dedicated for physics.

[Nintex]

Duderz said:
Seriously, I'd rather screens of Revolution GAMES than this stuff. What was all the crap aout Nintendo saying that the specs don't matter? And now they're caving in?

Heck, I'd rather have screens/news on Zelda.

The only thing that's going to come out of this is massive trolling until E3.

Which, with GAF, that's normal anyway.

Nintendo is not doing anything. People like Matt well its there Job. But this secrecy is just annoying, people are making shit up because Nintendo doesn't say anything. They had 2 mention on E3 about rev the only thing we know is:
512 mb flash memory (who cares)
IBM ATi parts
Revolution controller (has more secrets)

If Nintendo doesn't create a hype the Nbots will... but its not in there advance: Look at the Nbot threads on Nintendo.com :
OMFG REVOLUTION 5ghz cpu with ultra cooling device 2048 mb ram!!

I really hope something the specs revealed tonight, so we can put this to rest and focus on games.

Gio_CoD

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
Physics Processing Unit.

It's a processor dedicated to doing advanced physics calculations to take that workload off of the processor. Would allow for physics in games that are far more accurate than even Half Life 2 without really taking a toll on A.I., graphics, etc...

Mihail

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
It's a processor dedicated to physics-related calculations, so that they're not piled onto the CPU which already has responsibilities.

Mifune said:
You realize where you're posting, right?

I'm saying reading comprehension is important. If he's posting in a thread that already was called "Rev specs", then he's not neccessarily implying Revolution specs at all.

It could be a story on the possibility of a PPU for instance.

That's why its important that someone answer whether or not Matt started the thread or not.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
wazoo said:
It is like a CPU but better :)

Physical copro.

Well no. It's a chip dedicated to physics. It's like a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), but it does physics (Physics Processing Unit).

Stench

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Well no. It's a chip dedicated to physics. It's like a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), but it does physics (Physics Processing Unit).
...and stirfrying vegetables will never be the same.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, this is the first thread I've ever seen with such a close reply:view ratio after 100 posts.

Mihail

Banned
Stench said:
...and stirfrying vegetables will never be the same.
Each brocolli stem will have its own set of algorithms to dictate its movement as affected by moving water, steam, and the rotation of the pan.

impending.jpg

spec (spk) Informal
n.
1. specs: The specifications, as for a building to be constructed.
2. Speculation.
3. Eyeglasses; spectacles.

tr.v. spec'd, or specced (spkt) spec'ing, or spec·cing (spkng) specs or specs

Sunski

Am I guessing that by putting in a PPU the Rev will possibly have 3x better than Gamecube Graphics but with greater physics than PS3 or X360?

Mifune

Mehmber
soundwave05 said:
I'm saying reading comprehension is important. If he's posting in a thread that already was called "Rev specs", then he's not neccessarily implying Revolution specs at all.

That's why its important that someone answer whether or not Matt started the thread or not.

And I'm saying that this is the birthplace of THURSDAYTON.

You raise a good point, though.

wazoo

MadOdorMachine said:
Can you be a little more specific. Is it basically the CPU? What advantages does a PPU have over a CPU? You know, stuff like that.

it would be a supplementary chipset. It would take AI and Physics works for himself letting the CPU do other things (especially a weak CPU).

monkeyrun

radioheadrule83 said:
impending.jpg

spec (spk) Informal
n.
1. specs: The specifications, as for a building to be constructed.
2. Speculation.
3. Eyeglasses; spectacles.

tr.v. spec'd, or specced (spkt) spec'ing, or spec·cing (spkng) specs or specs
:lol :lol

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Haleon said:
Physics Processing Unit.

It's a processor dedicated to doing advanced physics calculations to take that workload off of the processor. Would allow for physics in games that are far more accurate than even Half Life 2 without really taking a toll on A.I., graphics, etc...
Thanks and good lord this thread going fast.

soundwave05 said:

he did start the thread - for fellow IGNers, click here:
http://boards.ign.com/revolution_general_board/b8263/104642567/p1/

mrkgoo

Seriously, I'd rather screens of Revolution GAMES than this stuff. What was all the crap aout Nintendo saying that the specs don't matter? And now they're caving in?

This is why these threads are so great. One comment about more information later by a post in another thread, and by page 2 it is interpreted as an official announcement from Nintendo, complete with accusation.

Arsynic

Banned
I'm bringing a nice big fan tonight, who's bringing the shit?

Also, we need 100 orders of crow and a big ass oven.

hadareud

The Translator
Arsynic said:
I'm bringing a nice big fan tonight, who's bringing the shit?

Also, we need 100 orders of crow and a big ass oven.

This crow thing is getting very old indeed. Don't set yourself up for a disappointment mate.

MattIGN said:
Whoa baby. I should put an end to some speculation before it runs out of control.

Tonight's article will be a continuation of last night's. Satoru Iwata has not personally delivered us the full spec breakdown. Nintendo doesn't want to talk specs and I don't think anything we do will really change that.

That said, devs do have official documentation and it has been directly quoted to me over the phone.

Tonight, we'll talk a bit more about CPU / GPU power. We'll also have a clarification on RAM. (And before you go thinking that we messed up and it has 512MBs, think again -- it's the other way.) And we'll reveal the real DVD capacity. That 12GB stuff was completely bogus.

Devs also speculate on a price point.

Can someone do me a favor and pass this along to the guys at the GA Forum before they toss me into the bonfire.

Thanks.

Matt

:lol

Ponn

Banned
hadareud said:
This crow thing is getting very old indeed. Don't set yourself up for a disappointment mate.

I'm just bringing some popcorn to watch. No matter what no one will eat crow, but you sure will see a lot of spinning going on.

AirBrian

Matt said:
Whoa baby. I should put an end to some speculation before it runs out of control.

Tonight's article will be a continuation of last night's. Satoru Iwata has not personally delivered us the full spec breakdown. Nintendo doesn't want to talk specs and I don't think anything we do will really change that.

That said, devs do have official documentation and it has been directly quoted to me over the phone.

Tonight, we'll talk a bit more about CPU / GPU power. We'll also have a clarification on RAM. (And before you go thinking that we messed up and it has 512MBs, think again -- it's the other way.) And we'll reveal the real DVD capacity. That 12GB stuff was completely bogus.

Devs also speculate on a price point.

Can someone do me a favor and pass this along to the guys at the GA Forum before they toss me into the bonfire.

Thanks.

Matt
:lol :lol

KINGMOKU

Thank god I have premiere tickets for Narnia tonight. When I get back I get to see the shit-storm, without bieng in the eye of it, or risk being run over by Drinky's Catagory 5 Nintendo trolling.

Can we get a body(Banned) count rolling?

Sunski said:
Am I guessing that by putting in a PPU the Rev will possibly have 3x better than Gamecube Graphics but with greater physics than PS3 or X360?

PS3 has it's own SPUs in Cell to handle physics which was already said to be similiar to a PPU.

Top Bottom