• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last-Stop-Speak-In-Hyperbole Official Revolution Specs Thread

Arsynic

Banned
hadareud said:
This crow thing is getting very old indeed. Don't set yourself up for a disappointment mate.
You must be a vegetarian. But fret not! My trusty assistant is already cutting artichokes in the shape of crows. We will then stuff them with an apple stuffing and grill them.

Smilebit said:
Is Matt saying the system has less than 128MB of Ram?

Didn't the article last night say as much?

One of the devs said its basically the GameCube memory structure with an added 64MB of RAM.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Pay attention to the signs. Tonight, it is official. Naysayers beware and all that.

stigmiyamoto.jpg

Oh yes, Nintendo's Salvation is upon us!

GDGF

Soothsayer
I am going to need a six pack tonight. Perhaps a nice fattie, too. This thread is going to get really good really fast.

SantaC

matt-ign said:
That said, devs do have official documentation and it has been directly quoted to me over the phone.

Tonight, we'll talk a bit more about CPU / GPU power. We'll also have a clarification on RAM. (And before you go thinking that we messed up and it has 512MBs, think again -- it's the other way.) And we'll reveal the real DVD capacity. That 12GB stuff was completely bogus.

Devs also speculate on a price point.

well even though it's not a full blown unveiling, that will be some pretty good info.

Last nights IGN article said:
Third parties have revealed to us that the console will top out with 128MBs of RAM, and possibly even less.

Last nights IGN article said:
"The same as GameCube plus an extra 64MB of main RAM."

Thats 24 + 64. Ballpark? Somewhere between 88MB of RAM and 128MB tops.

mj1108

Ponn01 said:
And the thread starts to lose it's momentum.. :lol Oh well, I expect this thread to be at 10 pages by the time I get back tonight. Don't let me down GAF.

Don't worry.... I'm sure it will be and then some.

Matlock

Banned

new revolution screenshot

edit: honestly, I was told not to say the names in M&F, but I could use the abbreviation

Deg

Banned
Rev is an absolute joke. The pricing will no doubt be like GC memory cards. No wonder they make so much profit.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I like Matt well enough. Some people are just too plain ol' harsh.

He's just doing a job.

Deg said:
Rev is an absolute joke. The pricing will no doubt be like GC memory cards. No wonder they make so much profit.

Just try imagining how it was being a N-fan before sony brainwashed you..... :lol

Twix

EDIT:

guys about that PPU stuff, form wikipedia:

The PPU (Picture Processing Unit) is the microprocessor on the Nintendo Entertainment System dedicated to performing graphics computations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_processing_unit

also:

The first processor to call itself a PPU was called the PhysX chip, introduced by a fabless semiconductor company called Ageia. The PhysX PPU is programmed with Ageia's NovodeX SDK. The NovodeX API can also be used to program physics for general purpose hardware, but it is specialized to run optimally on the PhysX hardware.

On July 20, 2005, Sony signed an agreement with Ageia to use the Novodex SDK in the Playstation 3.[1] Microsoft also added the NovodeX SDK to the Xbox 360 development kits. [2] It is also rumored that the Nintendo Revolution will run with a PPU chip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics_processing_unit

hmmmmmm...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
awesome I have no idea what specs ever mean but boy am I excited!

FranIGN said:
Please excuse the aggressive headline. I just wanted an attention grabber here. I figured I couldn't not post some feedback on Revolution the night we launch our official channel. I am still a Nintendo nerd at heart, heir to the IGN64 and IGNcube sites.

Anyway, people are really getting hooked on the whole idea that Revolution is 1.5x GameCube, or slightly better than Xbox, etc. Okay, I can understand the concern: we're talking about a system that will potentially have 25% the main RAM as a system like Xbox 360 or PS3. It's going to have some graphical drawbacks. But, at the same time, developers don't have a chipset in their hands yet. Until they do, you can't start talking about who kind of specific tricks IBM, ATI, and Nintendo have hardwired in there. It's unlikely that ATI has worked with Nintendo for years to create the exact same chipset as GameCube, only with a little more clockspeed. No, it's likely there will be some of the latest shader tricks, etc.

Aside from all that, the main point I wanted to put out there is that in Nintendo's mind, I'm sure Revolution is PlayStation 3.5 -- it's supposed to offer all the entertainment of games you're used to playing now, plus something completely new. If the company can provide enough software that truly takes advantage of the new control system to create new experiences, then you have something that the other consoles don't.

I've played with the Revolution controller, and I think it's just way too early to make any kind of judgement. There's a lot of potential, but there's also plenty of things that could go wrong (whether it just be the main functionality or something like software support). Nonetheless, I do know that as much as I love my HD gaming, or just high-end visuals, I wouldn't mind if Revolution games found themselves graphically on-par with something like Kameo in standard definition. That's not a level that I think is too far from achieving when you consider how much developers learn to pull off over the generation of a console's life.

So, while it's pretty easy to dog on the potential graphical performance, I think it's ultimately going to come down to just how intuitive/precise the controller is and what developers really can achieve with it. I believe E3 2006 will be the first real chance we'll have for answers to that.

And let's not forget how backwards compatability and other subtleties like that add to the experience...

Almost missed that thread due to the attention being given to Matt's thread.

Snaku

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
Hah, is that giant, horrific "screenshot" supposed to be some kinda of realistic Mega Man? :D

If Sega had their way, that's what Shadow would have looked like. :lol

Top Bottom