• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last-Stop-Speak-In-Hyperbole Official Revolution Specs Thread

Drensch

tonight=what some anonymous developer said, that may or may not be based on an alpha dev kit. Well worth the hype and wait I am sure. :lol

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
catfish said:
Alas I was just a wee un and awareness of SNES in NZ was low (or it was from my pre-intarnets town)

- WATCHOUTDONKEYS

You're from NZ? Nothing good has EVER come from NZ.

-- THE BASTARDS HAVE LANDED

Musashi Wins! said:
this would make sense with the size, wouldn't it.

I say increase the VS/PS in increments of 2. If it can spit out 100mps with lighting and effects turned on then I'm all for it.

Maybe the GC LSI can be used for something. If your guess is very close.

Wrong quote but you get what I mean.

Its possible main memory may get a boost before specs are final, hopefully to 256MB.

Mihail

Banned
Satter said:
SNES vs. Genesis system war ftw.
Yeah, but the system war war between the system war between the SNES and Genesis and the system war between the PSP and DS is no match for the system war war between the system war between the Dreamcast and the PS2 and the system war between Atari and the NES.

SpiffyG

Drensch said:
tonight=what some anonymous developer said, that may or may not be based on an alpha dev kit. Well worth the hype and wait I am sure. :lol
Haha. It's true... it's not exactly news. Just because it's going to be posted on IGN doesn't make it 100% fact.

They are keeping it cheap and portable because, they plan for you to keep your battery powered Rev Console in your backpack, while feeding the display to a wireless control unit. This way, you get a umber powerful portable handheld that can also be docked at home for RevCon games ;)

TheJesusFactor said:
They are keeping it cheap and portable because, they plan for you to keep your battery powered Rev Console in your backpack, while feeding the display to a wireless control unit. This way, you get a umber powerful portable handheld that can also be docked at home for RevCon games ;)

You know, that may actually be a possibility down the line.

Zaphod

Drensch said:

At least it's something that will fill my empty life for the next few hours.

[Nintex]

Mihail said:
Yeah, but the system war war between the system war between the SNES and Genesis and the system war between the PSP and DS is no match for the system war war between the system war between the Dreamcast and the PS2 and the system war between Atari and the NES.
Atari and Nes?? wasn't that more a slaughter?
Video game crash > Atari crash > NES marketleader

Dreamcast was like :
Sega : not selling enough games must release more powerfull system!
Dreamcast early next gen (this gen) console
Sony : Shows PS2 pre renderd footage... hypes ...
People : OMFG PS2 the OWNAGE!
SEGA as we knew it : gone

I think this will probably be what Revolution games (the more graphics oriented titles) will look like

News_PC_Half-Life_2_3.jpe

kameo_21.jpg

Only with 480p resolution.

SantaC

Gold Member
[Nintex] said:
Atari and Nes?? wasn't that more a slaughter?
Video game crash > Atari crash > NES marketleader

Dreamcast was like :
Sega : not selling enough games must release more powerfull system!
Dreamcast early next gen (this gen) console
Sony : Shows PS2 pre renderd footage... hypes ...
People : OMFG PS2 the OWNAGE!
SEGA as we knew it : gone

sadly it was something like that. I was(am) a big fan of Nintendo and SEGA, but Nintendo is the only player left from that time.

Razoric said:
Judging from some of the hints dropped here already its probably 104 MB of RAM.

- Raz

I doubt it, it can only go up before specs are final. The memory going down will be STUPID.

Memory that low would be a slap in the face to developers.

[Nintex]

gamergirly said:
This place is a madhouse! Can somebody give me a summary of what's goign on? :lol
Short description :
Matt posts on IGN board: Specs tonight!!

Everybody goes: Speculation , Console wars, Damage control ...
May 9 2006 will be known as the big Internet crash!

OG_Original Gamer said:
I doubt it, it can only go up before specs are final. The memory going down will be STUPID.

Memory that low would be a slap in the face to developers.

Memory going down from what exactly? Nintendo never promised any set number of RAM.

88MB of main 1T-SRAM is more than triple the main 1T-SRAM in the GameCube, which is along the lines of something that's been speculated to be 3x more powerful than the GCN anyway.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Would it make that much difference? I honestly don't know, I don't understand this stuff. Just seems to me it's so far short of the PS3/360 as it is that 104 or 128, it's not going to change the situation much (except more dosh for Nintendo).

Taker666

So Matt has decided to make sure Nintendo will never again give IGN an exclusive story?

or is he hoping that Nintendo will phone him up and say "OK,stop doing that now. We'll give you a bloody playtest on the latest Zelda build".

koam said:
My Prediction:

1CPU: ~950MHz
Ram: ~88MB
Price: $99-$149

You have to realize that this is a system that still won't release for ~9 months and people are guessing it will be about the same as an Xbox in specs and cost about the same which is ridiculous. First off given that it is a new piece of hardware that was created around the tech and pricing available in a little less than a year it should be able to be FAR more powerful than an Xbox and still cost a similar amount of money. I mean they could easily toss 256MB of non-exotic RAM into the machine with small process/power efficient chips that are MUCH faster than Xbox's chips for about the same price because they are not locked into any contracts and pricing structures that are 4 years old. In fact it would probably cost them MORE to produce memory chips with a lower amount as opposed a greater amount. Seriously there are almost no products that have memory amounts less than 256MB nowadays so it makes no sense that the system would have any less than that unless it is using some weird cutting edge tech RAM that is expensive to produce, but I don't see Rev using anything as relatively new as RDRAM or 1TSRAM this time around.

Oh and lets just do some comparisons on RAM right. N64 to GC was an increase of 10X for RAM. PSX to PS2 was ~12x increase. Xbox to X360 in a very short generation time was an 8X increase. So lets say that the Revolution ends up costing the same at launch as N64 and GC ($200). Given the trends it would point to Revolution having at least 384MB (a good round multiple #) of RAM. Now lets say that the system is less. Well it would still be completely reasonable given that it is coming out almost a year after x360 and won't have such a speed premium that at least 192MB if not 256MB of RAM is attainable at a $99 pricepoint. The low amounts of RAM talked about here are mindboggling.

soundwave05 said:
Memory going down from what exactly? Nintendo never promised any set number of RAM.

88MB of main 1T-SRAM is more than triple the main 1T-SRAM in the GameCube, which is along the lines of something that's been speculated to be 3x more powerful than the GCN anyway.

Way to low for the amount polygons the GPU may be able to output on screen. I expect it to go up before specs are final.

Nintendo may be working the dollars.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
methodman said:
Nintendo is the king of making dumb decisions, but I don't think they will continue that trend :lol

hmmm. dumb to us, or the bank? face it...it could be a real underwhelming machine but most of their hardcore fans will buy it, parents concerned about content or age will buy it, people who want a funny party machine with an oddball controller/multiplayer capabilities will buy it. Those people aren't going to obsess over graphics capabilities when all is said and done. And they will make money.

The only thing that bums me out about the Revolution right now is that eventually some of the DS development will become slow as they ramp up another system. It's been easy going as the GC was pretty much left to pasture.

Taker666 said:
So Matt has decided to make sure Nintendo will never again give IGN an exclusive story?

or is he hoping that Nintendo will phone him up and say "OK,stop doing that now. We'll give you a bloody playtest on the latest Zelda build".

He's either going to lose Nintendo support/interviews/exclusives forever OR he's going to help promote them to high heaven, starting from the internet.
(of course this all depends on the specs/technology behind Rev)

The GameCube efficency I think is a bit overrated.

The system came out 18 months after the PS2 which is a lifetime in game cycles.

It can hold its own with the XBox because MS had to rush the XBox to market with off-the-shelf parts.

This time around MS used IBM/ATi too, so if Nintendo wanted XBox 360 level power, they'd have to be willing to pay for it. ATi wasn't magically going to give them some far more efficent chipset than the one they gave MS at like 1/2 the cost.

MS will still be taking hardware losses on the XBox 360 into 2007, they've said they don't plan to profit off the machine for the first 2 years. So its not like Nintendo was going to get that type of power for a $200 (or less) machine from IBM/ATi without eating losses themselves.

IGN leaked info about the GameCube/Dolphin in advanced too, like the mini-disc format and rough performance outlines too.

BigGreenMat said:
You have to realize that this is a system that still won't release for ~9 months and people are guessing it will be about the same as an Xbox in specs and cost about the same which is ridiculous. First off given that it is a new piece of hardware that was created around the tech and pricing available in a little less than a year it should be able to be FAR more powerful than an Xbox and still cost a similar amount of money. I mean they could easily toss 256MB of non-exotic RAM into the machine with small process/power efficient chips that are MUCH faster than Xbox's chips for about the same price because they are not locked into any contracts and pricing structures that are 4 years old. In fact it would probably cost them MORE to produce memory chips with a lower amount as opposed a greater amount. Seriously there are almost no products that have memory amounts less than 256MB nowadays so it makes no sense that the system would have any less than that unless it is using some weird cutting edge tech RAM that is expensive to produce, but I don't see Rev using anything as relatively new as RDRAM or 1TSRAM this time around.

Your post got me to thinking that maybe the 1T-SRAM will just be embedded memory and not used as the systems main memory.

AirBrian

soundwave05 said:
The GameCube efficency I think is a bit overrated.

The system came out 18 months after the PS2 which is a lifetime in game cycles.

It can hold its own with the XBox because MS had to rush the XBox to market with off-the-shelf parts.

This time around MS used IBM/ATi too, so if Nintendo wanted XBox 360 level power, they'd have to be willing to pay for it. ATi wasn't magically going to give them some far more efficent chipset than the one they gave MS at like 1/2 the cost.

MS will still be taking hardware losses on the XBox 360 into 2007, they've said they don't plan to profit off the machine for the first 2 years. So its not like Nintendo was going to get that type of power for a $200 (or less) machine from IBM/ATi without eating losses themselves.

IGN leaked info about the GameCube/Dolphin in advanced too, like the mini-disc format and rough performance outlines too.
Not that it really matters, but...

PS2 = October 2000
GCN = November 2001

~13 months.

Top Bottom