• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS will "showcase the hidden power Wii U has"

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Project CARS has been the subject of much hype following the announcement of PS4 and Xbox One versions, developer Slightly Mad Studios isn’t ignoring the other formats. In fact, when GamingBolt spoke creative director Andy Tudor, he believed that Project CARS would serve to demonstrate the Wii U’s true capabilities.

Asked if the Wii U’s lesser specs would undermine the game’s key selling point, the visuals, Tudor responded, “No, if anything I think it’ll showcase the hidden power that the Wii U has. There’s no equivalent of Project CARS on Wii U, yet we hear the shouts from Nintendo fans loud and clear that they can’t wait to get their hands on this kind of experience so we hope to make them proud with the quality of the visuals.

“Sure there are maybe more stringent technical constraints but the same core experience will remain, plus additional features that take advantage of the controller’s unique second screen and touch interface.”

http://gamingbolt.com/project-cars-will-showcase-the-hidden-power-of-the-wii-u-slightly-mad-studios

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Let's hope we don't have any stupid armchair comments in this thread.

Interesting that it's an indie developer proclaiming this, though in retrospect, I can't think of what the "best looking title" is on Wii U. Nintendo Land looks amazing but that's mainly down to aesthetics. Good on SMS in not making this a half-assed port, they've got my sale.

I think using the gamepad to generate F1 type steering wheel settings on its screen would be pretty amazing actually too. Us suckers on PS4/XB1 controllers have to go into sub menus while driving to try and change brake balance for example, and the WiiU users just turn a virtual dial. Sounds pretty cool.

Kysen

It doesn't matter either way as just like the other good ports on the system(MW,MH) it will bomb anyway.

Its like when Krillin had his potential unlocked by Guru.

tazAEDs.gif

Mithos

It doesn't matter either way as just like the other good ports on the system(MW,MH) it will bomb anyway.

Game is already payed for through crowfunding. Any and all copies sold ontop of that is profit (all platforms it coming to).

lt519

I look forward to the digital foundry thread upon release.

Does digital foundry only look at graphics or do they look at overall experience as well? I've never dived into one of their articles because typically I don't care. But it sounds like this Dev is saying it WILL be technically constrained but the added functionality of the Gamepad is significant enough to make it a definitive version.

hodgy100

i know the WiiU isnt the next gen console everyone wanted. but it does have a morem odern gpu architecture, i believe it is a more capeable machine than the 360 and ps3

FyreWulff

I think using the gamepad to generate F1 type steering wheel settings on its screen would be pretty amazing actually too. Us suckers on PS4/XB1 controllers have to go into sub menus while driving to try and change brake balance for example, and the WiiU users just turn a virtual dial. Sounds pretty cool.

As an example, it's really handy in Black Ops 2 on Wii U. You can adjust your bounding box and other settings via sliders on the gamepad screen as you're playing. So you don't need to go into the menu, drill down and change a number, then go back and play with it for a while.

VariantX

Does digital foundry only look at graphics or do they look at overall experience as well? I've never dived into one of their articles because typically I don't care. But it sounds like this Dev is saying it WILL be technically constrained but the added functionality of the Gamepad is significant enough to make it a definitive version.

They look at the graphics purely.

SmokyDave

The lack of analogue triggers or steering wheels for the Wii U mean that notion is a non-starter. It'll be bottom of the pile.

Still, it's great that a Nintendo system is finally getting a decent sim racer, regardless.

I wonder why Nintendo hides all this power from everyone?

I came here to say that. If power is so important, why make it hard to find/capitalize on?

With that said, Wii U graphics are more than fine for me. If I can still enjoy an 8-bit game regardless of how it looks, I think I can handle the Wii U not looking exactly like the other two.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
is it similar to the power of the cloud, or...?
LOL
btw, looking forward to this (up to now Wii U is the only console I have that will receive this game, due to the swithc they did from PS3 to PS4)

Qassim

Is 720p suppose to be bleeding edge? I don't get it, Mario isn't anything technically special (next to the new consoles).

Indeed - it's not a bad looking game, but there really is nothing special about 3D world other than a consistent 60fps framerate. I don't see anything graphically that is anything that is beyond previous gen from a technical perspective otherwise, in fact, it has some pretty ugly textures (specifically that grass!).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Those are both first party. Why is it so hidden from 3rd parties?

Try NFSWU. And one of the developers for pCARS was actually working for Criterion before.

I think they just mean they use all the power of the WiiU, they think they have done a good job at porting the game.

Pretty much, they don't state it will be on par with the other versions, there will be compromises to be made. Yet, it will hold well enough to be a decent game. And added controller features.

But Wii U is not allowed to have any kind of power.

lt519

The lack of analogue triggers or steering wheels for the Wii U mean that notion is a non-starter. It'll be bottom of the pile.

Still, it's great that a Nintendo system is finally getting a decent sim racer, regardless.

True about the analog triggers, but don't count it out until you see it, who knows what they have in store for the Gamepad. I could see playing with the pro-controller and having the Gamepad as an in dash system or rear view mirror being pretty cool. Add to the immersion a little bit, get rid of all the hub nonsense.

The dev is actually probably just hyping because of he's afraid of selling 1k copies

Zarovitch

I think they just mean they use all the power of the WiiU, they think they have done a good job at porting the game.

Its like when Krillin had his potential unlocked by Guru.

Fuck, lmao.

Anyway. I think this type of talk isn't that good, it's better to under hype these things, especially with the Wii U under constant scrutiny in comparison to the two newer consoles.

Did you quote the wrong post?

Someone posted this "Mario 3D World already proves Wii U isn't just some piece of trash technically."

And he responded saying it wasn't technically impressive...

So... no I don't see how there could be confusion.

Seanspeed

Banned
I came here to say that. If power is so important, why make it hard to find/capitalize on?

With that said, Wii U graphics are more than fine for me. If I can still enjoy an 8-bit game regardless of how it looks, I think I can handle the Wii U not looking exactly like the other two.
A game can make up for a lack of technical impressiveness if it has a great art style. This is why many people feel that much of Nintendo's first party stuff still is a pleasure to look at.

But anytime a game's visuals aim for realism(as is the case with a game like PCars), you basically want the most impressive graphics you can get. So while plenty of people will be able to live with the visuals the Wii U is capable of putting out, a game like this is always going to suffer a bit from the lack of power.

I'm mainly interested in hearing whether they are going for 60fps. I'm sure it can still look great with that sort of performance, but just 'how great' will be interesting to see.

Coolwhip

Banned
Fuck, lmao.

Anyway. I think this type of talk isn't that good, it's better to under hype these things, especially with the Wii U under constant scrutiny in comparison to the two newer consoles.

Someone posted this "Mario 3D World already proves Wii U isn't just some piece of trash technically."

And he responded saying it wasn't technically impressive...

So... no I don't see how there could be confusion.

Guess you're both a bit confused then. I said it proves Wii U isn't some piece of trash. Since when does that equal bleeding edge technology (which the PS4/Xbone are nowhere near close to either)?

Hopefully there'll be an option to use right analog for throttle/brakes.

Most Wanted did show us that just having more RAM is pretty significant. Not that it's super next gen or anything, but PC textures make all the difference in the world.

DieH@rd

Banned
BTW, devs are aiming at 720p30 gameplay on Wii U.

For nextgen is not sure yet, but they want to optimize everything for 1080p60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom