• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS will "showcase the hidden power Wii U has"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if the Wii U has more technical power that can be squeezed out of it, the install base will continue to keep third party companies away from the system. Will be sure to check out the game when it launches.

fred

It doesn't matter either way as just like the other good ports on the system(MW,MH) it will bomb anyway.

Most Wanted was a late port and Capcom have been happy with the sales of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate last I heard. Didn't they say it was a hit..?

Guess you're both a bit confused then. I said it proves Wii U isn't some piece of trash. Since when does that equal bleeding edge technology (which the PS4/Xbone are nowhere near close to either)?

I personally figured you saying "common piece of trash" was meant to be a hyperbole in the sarcastic sense(?), because... a lot of idiots use that same phrase seriously.

Frodo

Not thread whining but, all Project CARS Wii U threads end up the same:

-Dev says something slightly positive about Wii U;
-Thread gets plagued by parrots repeating the same thing;
-NO ANALOGUE TRIGGERS. IT IS RUBBISH.
-TOO BAD IT WON'T SELL.

Why can't people read this as it is supposed to read? Why people ignore they can map throttle/breaks to the right analogue stick as NFS:MWU already did and stop bringing the analogue triggers to the discussion? Why bring sales argument into the thread? Is their effort to optimise the game for the hardware any less worth of recognition, or should you stop enjoying a game because it probably won't sell as much as the other versions? Dev is saying they are able to do something nice with the hardware as it is. Good news, right?

There are much more interesting and less exhausted topics to be discussed here, I don't see how lack of analogue triggers and sales should be brought to this thread.

/rant

Project CARS devs are not the first one to say that, and games like SM3DW, MK8, X and even Pikmin 3 show that the hardware is more than capable of producing good looking games. I just wish they would show us some screenshots or a trailer. Same thing for Shin'en that has been teasing for so long but still has to show us the goods.

pfr

It's still a shame there are no analog triggers. Analog stick isn't really the same thing, as you can't break and throttle at the same time. But still, a lot of people play with stick throttle on Playstation as well, so not a huge deal. I'd prefer analog triggers, but I will buy this game nevertheless. I just hope the framerate's up there, solid 60fps is just so nice in a racer, but I can deal with 30fps with absolutely no drops.

kinggroin

Banned
I really want to believe them, and want every reason to support this software version over the Xbone or PS4 release, but the features would have to be killer for that to happen.

SummitAve

Banned
It's still a shame there are no analog triggers. Analog stick isn't really the same thing, as you can't break and throttle at the same time. But still, a lot of people play with stick throttle on Playstation as well, so not a huge deal. I'd prefer analog triggers, but I will buy this game nevertheless. I just hope the framerate's up there, solid 60fps is just so nice in a racer.

Break and throttle at the same time? Ha!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The idea of playing a sim racer on the gamepad that looks good and plays well is delicious. If you've never really given this genre a chance, you should reconsider your position, because after putting hours into Forza 5 I can see myself buying a racer every year or two now.

There are literally thousands of YouTube videos... you haven't been looking very hard.

The game has come a long way in the past year or so. It looks and feels fantastic, almost like a true successor to the TOCA series

I think I have this confused for the other car game. Is there confirmed Wii U footage?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Why can't people read this as it is supposed to read? Why people ignore they can map throttle/breaks to the right analogue stick as NFS:MWU already did and stop bringing the analogue triggers to the discussion?

It is a legitimate topic of discussion. The inexplicable and daft lack of analogue triggers on the WiiU is always going to be a hindrance on any serious racing game. I've got a WiiU and a PS360 and if the same racing game came out on those 3 platforms. The lack of analogue triggers would immediately discount the WiiU.

FyreWulff

There are literally thousands of YouTube videos... you haven't been looking very hard.

The game has come a long way in the past year or so. It looks and feels fantastic, almost like a true successor to the TOCA series

As someone who played the crap out of TOCA3 on the Xbox, this is a very good endorsement

Exotoro

Hidden in the literal sense.

Let's hope we don't have any stupid armchair comments in this thread.

Interesting that it's an indie developer proclaiming this, though in retrospect, I can't think of what the "best looking title" is on Wii U. Nintendo Land looks amazing but that's mainly down to aesthetics. Good on SMS in not making this a half-assed port, they've got my sale.

spoke too late

Radec

Its like when Krillin had his potential unlocked by Guru.

Ssj3_Krillin.jpg

ReaperXL7

I dont know why but when I read the thread title I just could not stop laughing for a good few minutes. Anything is possible, but I dont imagine compairisons will favor the Wii U version of the game.

prag16

Banned
The lack of analogue triggers or steering wheels for the Wii U mean that notion is a non-starter. It'll be bottom of the pile.

Still, it's great that a Nintendo system is finally getting a decent sim racer, regardless.

Somebody in another thread had the idea to use the balance board as "pedals" for gas/brake. Not sure how well that would work, but I'd be highly interested in trying it if the game actually supported it.

I dont know why but when I read the thread title I just could not stop laughing for a good few minutes. Anything is possible, but I dont imagine compairisons will favor the Wii U version of the game.

I don't think anyone's expecting it to hold up to PS4bonePC in graphical comparisons. What they're really saying is that Wii U will be able to deliver a faithful representation of their vision for the game (even if not as impressive visually as other versions). Is that so far fetched?

ryanofcall

Well that will be the 3rd Showcase after Pikmin 3 and SM3DW. I hope people will finally get it.

But then again, I guess not.

pulsemyne

It is a legitimate topic of discussion. The inexplicable and daft lack of analogue triggers on the WiiU is always going to be a hindrance on any serious racing game. I've got a WiiU and a PS360 and if the same racing game came out on those 3 platforms. The lack of analogue triggers would immediately discount the WiiU.

They actually said in an interview that the it's no big deal and they have compensated for the digital buttons. Hell you can even play the PC version entirely on keys. It's just not an issue.

DonMigs85

Nintendo's always been pretty good at masking a lack of technical advancement with great art and consistent performance.
Do we know for sure though that Wii U really only has 160 ALUs that are pre-GCN?

ReaperXL7

Somebody in another thread had the idea to use the balance board as "pedals" for gas/brake. Not sure how well that would work, but I'd be highly interested in trying it if the game actually supported it.

I don't think anyone's expecting it to hold up to PS4bonePC in graphical comparisons. What they're really saying is that Wii U will be able to deliver a faithful representation of their vision for the game (even if not as impressive visually as other versions). Is that so far fetched?

No, of course not. Im pretty sure my launghing was because the title just makes the Wii U sound like a anime/superhero whos powers have been dormant but will rise in the face of its challangers.

Im interested to see how it turns out, but If I ever get a Wii U it will be to play co op with my kids.

Frodo

Okay, let us allow to disagree then, because I don't think the analogue triggers should be incessantly brought at the faintest mention of CARS on the Wii U when the thread is not discussing the gameplay in the first place. On the OT? Yes, fine. Maybe another thread discussing the gameplay elements? Sure. But here the dev is like "hey, I don't think we saw everything Wii U can do" and people go "but but tut analogue triggers!", completely disregarding the main subject in the first place.

Anyway, this discussion is also off-topic, so...

Well that will be the 3rd Showcase after Pikmin 3 and SM3DW. I hope people will finally get it.

But then again, I guess not.

I was not that impressed with 3DW as a whole. The levels are made up of blocks and are ultimately very simple in their design. The art style is minimalistic which fits Mario but more could have been done. The character models were very nice to look at though.

Gestault

As much as I personally prefer analog triggers for controller-based racing titles, have you guys never used the right analog stick for gas/brake? It's strange at first, but works well. An independent developer saying they'll be able to make a good package for their Wii U title is good news to me.

Nintendo's always been pretty good at masking a lack of technical advancement with great art and consistent performance.
Do we know for sure though that Wii U really only has 160 ALUs that are pre-GCN?
This isn't being developed by Nintendo. And there is so much you can hide in a realistic racing sim. It's not like it's Mario Kart.

SmokyDave

I like that idea a lot. Gets around the problem of not being able to juggle throttle and brake on a stick. I wonder if that's something they'll do.

Okay, let us allow to disagree then, because I don't think the analogue triggers should be incessantly brought at the faintest mention of CARS on the Wii U when the thread is not discussing the gameplay in the first place. On the OT? Yes, fine. Maybe another thread discussing the gameplay elements? Sure. But here the dev is like "hey, I don't think we saw everything Wii U can do" and people go "but but tut analogue triggers!", completely disregarding the main subject in the first place.
You're ignoring the middle bit where a poster said it might be the definitive version. I was simply stating why that couldn't be the case.

It's a racing sim. Of course the control method is fair game for discussion.

ozfunghi

I like that idea a lot. Gets around the problem of not being able to juggle throttle and brake on a stick. I wonder if that's something they'll do.

I hope they try it, but at the same time i'm wondering if it'll work. And by that i mean, if it'll be practical. I think the balance board should be in an angle, so you would have to put something under it. Also, how hard will you have to push down. The balance board doesn't give you any feedback about how much pressure you're applying. How much is full gas? I think it shouldn't be too much, or it might become uncomfortable. Other than that, maybe they can get it to work, and i don't think it would be such an endeavor to actually put the option into the game. I hope they at least try it for themselves.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
They actually said in an interview that the it's no big deal and they have compensated for the digital buttons. Hell you can even play the PC version entirely on keys. It's just not an issue.

Of course it's a issue. It's a horrible input control method for a racing simulator.

kinggroin

Banned
The lack of analogue triggers or steering wheels for the Wii U mean that notion is a non-starter. It'll be bottom of the pile.

Still, it's great that a Nintendo system is finally getting a decent sim racer, regardless.

Lack of analog triggers sucks for a pure sim game like PCARS, but yeah, Wii U only gamers should count their blessings. Not a decent Sim Smokey, an amazing one.

Probably the last one too.

A game can make up for a lack of technical impressiveness if it has a great art style. This is why many people feel that much of Nintendo's first party stuff still is a pleasure to look at.

But anytime a game's visuals aim for realism(as is the case with a game like PCars), you basically want the most impressive graphics you can get. So while plenty of people will be able to live with the visuals the Wii U is capable of putting out, a game like this is always going to suffer a bit from the lack of power.

I'm mainly interested in hearing whether they are going for 60fps. I'm sure it can still look great with that sort of performance, but just 'how great' will be interesting to see.

That's true about realism. I also tend to equate power with graphics...leaving out the benefits to other areas (AI, sound, other tech stuff probably).

Hoo-doo

Banned
Are there even racing wheels for Wii-U? Is there even any hardcore sim fanbase on the Wii-U at all?

Feels like this version of the game is sent out to die.

Atlas157

I'm not getting the Wii U version anyway, but I hope they at least try to make it a good port.

Could someone explain this please?

Imagine a really weak character getting his potential unlocked, but that potential is so minuscule that it barely makes a difference.

marink

Could someone explain this please?

During the Freiza Saga Gohan and Krillin went to Namek to gather their Dragon Balls to wish back Piccolo and everyone that died during the fight with Vegeta and Nappa. While they were there Gohan and Krillin met the Elder Namek who released their dormant power to help with the upcoming battles they would face. In the long run it didn't matter because everyone else's power quickly eclipsed Krillin.

Krillin = Wii U
Everyone else in the DBZ universe(except Yamcha) = X1/PS4
Yamcha = Ouya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom