• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro worked on Tropical Freeze & MK7 at the same time | Might work on Miyamoto game

This is from the latest issue of Official Nintendo Magazine.

http://nintendoeverything.com/retro...-work-on-a-game-lead-by-miyamoto/#more-147200

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/

“Tanabe-san and his team at SPD are our primary contacts at Nintendo. Please let me be clear: games developed at Retro Studios are a collaboration between members from Retro Studios, SPD and other entities throughout the Nintendo family. It’s a symbiotic relationship that consists of members from all over the world; we are very honoured to be working with such a talented team.

“When we worked on Mario Kart 7, we were working on Tropical Freeze at the same time. Part of the team was working on creating assets for Hideki Konno’s group, the Mario Kart team, and part of our team continued making progress on Tropical Freeze in conjunction with Tanabe-san and SPD.”

“We consider Retro as part of the Nintendo family and a very capable game development studio. As a Nintendo development team, they will keep working not only with SPD, but also with the teams in Kyoto. They might even work on a title that Miyamoto-san leads directly in the future.

“However, the SPD team assigned to Retro is working together with them as a single team and I hope that will continue this way- on Mario Kart 7, for example, SPD staff were involved as co-ordinators. I am saying this because a very interesting and stimulating chemical reaction occurs when the two parties from different languages and cultures are united under Nintendo’s game production philosophy, and that chemical reaction results in extraordinary ideas.”

Lunar15

Boy, I'd love to see Retro and Miyamoto work on a new IP for Nintendo. The chances of that feel pretty slim, however.

I still find it hard to believe that Tropical Freeze is the only full game they've been working on for three years, even if they supported development in MK7. It would be really nice if this was true.

JDSN

Banned
Im sure the peeps at Retro are trilled to join Monolith Tokyo and 1-Up in the Guild of Nintendo asset slave studios. No wonder why people have left in the last few years.

boxter432

Im sure the peeps at Retro are trilled to join Monolith Tokyo and 1-Up in the Guild of Nintendo asset slave studios. No wonder why people have left in the last few years.

wtf is this garbage?

a full fledged Retro/Miyamoto game would be amazing.

Raysoul

If collaborations between Nintendo's studios is being the trend, I will not be surprised if Monolithsoft collaborates with Aonuma's Zelda team so we can finally see Link pilot a huge mech.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

But you do understand that graphic artists and animators to the same job either way? Right? They make assets and stuff. Paid handsomely to do it at that.

Sadist

Well, working on MK7 and Tropical Freeze at the same time was something a lot of us guessed back then. Nintendo always said a small team within Retro was working on certain tracks for the game.

The real nugget would be the chance of Retro working on a Miyamoto game.

Ceebs

I bet plenty of them are glad to have some of the most secure jobs in the industry.

If you are going to work for a big developer, I would want to work for one that one disappointing release would not result in massive layoffs.

Riki

If collaborations between Nintendo's studios is being the trend, I will not be surprised if Monolithsoft collaborates with Aonuma's Zelda team so we can finally see Link pilot a huge mech.

Monolith already helped on Skyward Sword.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
They need to expand Retro already.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The real nugget would be the chance of Retro working on a Miyamoto game.

Wii Music? Nintendo DS Guide? Those are the types of ideas Miyamoto passes on to his teams to "make something out of". Miyamoto's small sparks of creativity nowadays span to different audiences and purposes than perhaps what some people want to romanticize.

Somnid

Why is staff augmentation work considered a bad thing anyway? I do it all the time at my job, a few of projects that last a few months is way better than slaving for 2 years on something. You don't burn out or have responsibility for it but you get credit anyway, it's awesome.

Shufel

They might even work on a title that Miyamoto-san leads directly in the future.
Not sure how I feel about this. I mean Miyamoto hasn't really designed anything substantial since Pikmin, has he? I don't want Retro working on something like Wii Fit, Wii Music or Steel Diver.

Tookay

Not sure how I feel about this. I mean Miyamoto hasn't really designed anything substantial since Pikmin, has he? I don't want Retro working on something like Wii Fit, Wii Music or Steel Diver.
By most accounts sounds like he stepped in during TP's production to save it from being a mess.

ChaosXVI

Well, I am totally down for this. The last time Miyamoto headed up Retro we got the first Metroid Prime game out of it. But this continues to suggest to me that Retro has something else in the pipeline on the backburner, and that we may see something from it sooner rather than later.

Phazon

He still does have major influences in a lot of projects. Luigi's Mansion 2 being one of his most recent ones.

Nicktendo86

Has no idea retro worked on mk7. Didn't that co!e out like 2 years ago though? Odd... Have they had any involvement in mk8?

Why is staff augmentation work considered a bad thing anyway? I do it all the time at my job, a few of projects that last a few months is way better than slaving for 2 years on something. You don't burn out or have responsibility for it but you get credit anyway, it's awesome.

Because Nintendo has made so many decisions that piss off GAF over the past decade that people can no longer differentiate between the actual bullshit and the things that are just business. "Nintendo is for babies" with the gamecube gave way to "Nintendo is for non-gamers" with the wii and ds expanded audience direction, which in turn gave way to "Nintendo has no idea what it's doing with its home console" today. GAF wouldn't be this pissed if Retro were working on metroid or something similar because gamers on the internet never get mad at things targeted directly at them even if DKC and Metroid would have both been about equally useless as far as saving the WiiU goes. It's easier to imagine that Nintendo is a cruel master bullying retro studios into wasting its time rather than to realize that retro isn't a magical gaming savior. People just like to idolize creativity.

Well, I am totally down for this. The last time Miyamoto headed up Retro we got the first Metroid Prime game out of it. But this continues to suggest to me that Retro has something else in the pipeline on the backburner, and that we may see something from it sooner rather than later.

I keep hoping this, but I'm not to confident they have something else going on.

Top Bottom