• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE Japan President: "PS4s success in the west is motivating japanese developers too

Bundy

Banned
Sony Japan President: PS4′s Success in the West is Motivating Japanese Developers Too

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Asia President Hiroshi Kawano is obviously quite happy about the explosive success of the PS4 in the west, but the reasons behind his satisfaction go beyond simple sales, as he explained in an interview on Famitsu.com.

After mentioning his own excitement for the considerable sales in the West, Kawano-san mentioned that it’s encouraging game developers in Japan as well.

In fact I’ve heard many Japanese developers saying “this is very encouraging.” Considering that it’s possible for the PS4 to have this kind of momentum despite the fact that many were uneasy about what would become of home consoles in the future, many developers say “My motivation has suddenly been rekindled.” This makes me really happy.

More here

I hope it is motivating the shit out of Sony Japan at the very least. Their meager output was terribly disappointing last gen. Hearing how unfocused and disorganized they have been is tragic. Talent wasted.

It is time.

LIGHT THE BEACONS!

Ai8kE0u.jpg

I would love for more Japanese console development but I fear Japanese PS4 numbers won't be that promising albeit we have heard some decent antecedal evidence that suggests there is hype in Japan for the PS4

My first thought after hearing the sales figures for next gen were, "Welp, looks like I'll still have a job on Monday, hooray!"

So yes, as both an enthusiast and a professional, this makes me happy.

My first thought after hearing the sales figures for next gen were, "Welp, looks like I'll still have a job on Monday, hooray!"

So yes, as both an enthusiast and a professional, this makes me happy.

I hope Konami turns things around this gen.
Still have a special place in my heart for you guys.

DemonNite

I hope it is motivating the shit out of Sony Japan at the very least. Their meager output was terribly disappointing last gen. Hearing how unfocused and disorganized they have been is tragic. Talent wasted.

Can't disagree with this.. sadly.

But their talent will shine again, very soon.

boingball

This sounds good. Hopefully we see some good console games out of Japan this gen. Perhaps another Dragon Quest on console and not handheld? (I doubt it, but one can hope)

This is extraordinarily encouraging. After the disaster that was the Wii U, the console industry really needed the PS4 to give them a much-needed shot in the arm.

Mrbob

Too bad Japan is way behind in PS4 development. Going to let Western publishers establish dominance again by being late.

One way or another I am really happy people's faith is being rekindled in console gaming.

Seriously chuffed, if Japan is on board and more ready for this generation - it's even better.

Japan indies need to be tapped.

Too bad Japan is way behind in PS4 development. Going to let Western publishers establish dominance again by being late.
Makes me wonder if the benefits of a simpler PC style architecture are less profound in Japan purely because they're not used to developing for PC like Western studios.

Valnen

Didn't we have to wait a couple years before Japanese games started showing up last gen too? The first big titles will probably be 2015 at the earliest.

Will this bring a reign back to the playstation RPG era? i hope so.

Well, it's going to need a major release that grabs a lot of attention to re-ignite that flame.

FFVII did it for the PS1. It was a "must have" game regardless of the genre. People played it, many loved it, and the JRPG movement exploded in the West.

Maybe it will be FFXV that resurrects it after an "off" generation?

Top Bottom