• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: SteamDevDays show plan for Valve-owned future, Microsoft should be terrified

A good piece by Polygon, some very interesting points.

Steam Dev Days, taking place Jan. 15-16 in Seattle, isn't open to the press. There will be no interviews given, and it's unlikely that there will be video or archives of the content shown. It's an off-the-record event where AMD, Intel, Nvidia, Oculus, Unity and yes, Valve itself will give talks and create bridges between the distribution service, the hardware and software that will drive Steam Machines, and the people who make the games that we play on the platform.

Microsoft has nothing to fear today, but the idea that Valve, AMD, Nvidia and Intel are getting together with developers to push for a future without Windows should scare the living hell out of them as they peer into the future. Valve and Microsoft both want to own your living room, but the Xbox One is often a clunky, awkward device that tries to force you into Microsoft's ecosystem while limiting your media options. There is plenty of room for disruption.

Much more at the link, be sure to read the whole thing.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/14/5307584/steam-dev-days-valve-owned-future-plan

Tobor

Microsoft needs to be forcibly removed from PC gaming. It will benefit the entire industry.

Thanks for doing what needs to be done, Valve.

LCGeek

formerly sane
MS has nothing to be terrified of yet....

I love what valve is trying to do but it is that and just like windows and direct x it will take something similar like valve to disrupt MS out of this. I love what linux offers gamers but valve isn't exploiting it yet and it will take time to do so as well.

I don't think Valve wants MS to fail. From the talks I've heard Gabe give, Valve is worried about the direction MS took with Windows 8. Going deeper into that direction is where Steam machines and SteamOS comes into play. It is insurance for Valve to keep the pc an open platform. But at the end of the day, Valve wants their games in as many devices as possible, including Windows. Gabe has stated that many times.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Microsoft needs to be forcibly removed from PC gaming. It will benefit the entire industry.

I really love how they did their best to ruin a whole set of games that won't be updated when GFWL is killed off in a couple months. I guess they weren't happy with us being able to enjoy games no matter how old they were and decided to give us a taste of console generations.

Dibbz

Microsoft has nothing to fear today, but the idea that Valve, AMD, Nvidia and Intel are getting together with developers to push for a future without Windows should scare the living hell out of them as they peer into the future. Valve and Microsoft both want to own your living room, but the Xbox One is often a clunky, awkward device that tries to force you into Microsoft's ecosystem while limiting your media options. There is plenty of room for disruption.

Falls right in line with their review of the console. Wait, no it doesn't. Amazing.

Polygon Xbox One Review said:
The Xbox One is an impressive marriage of software and hardware that raises the bar in terms of what we expect from a living-room machine. Looking forward more than it looks back, the Xbox One feels like it's from the future.

http://www.polygon.com/a/xbox-one-review#conclusion

Jack cw

Man, polygon gets really annoying. They switch their opinions like underwear and contradict themselves way too often.

entremet

It's weird with their legacy that the totally just ignored the platform. Very strange.

Hasney

I think every year has been hailed as the "Year of Linux on the desktop" since about 2002. Would be interesting to see what kind of boost to Linux there is 2 years with Valve pushing it more aggressively, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm not a fan of Polygon, but everyone that works there doesn't (and shouldn't) have the exact same opinion on everything. I'd rather see a diverse collection of opinions rather than everyone following a "company stance."

Seriously. Since when is fanboyism in gaming journalism desired?

Gestault

I still haven't heard a reason SteamOS would offer a fundamental improvement in any particular area at the OS level. Like, simply having a different company at the reigns of an OS isn't a compelling reason for transition, particularly when one has limited experience in the area and hasn't demonstrated anything that's an advantage to consumers. So far we haven't even seen anything approaching even comparable features or compatibility (despite being built on well-established linux framework).

I recognize that the article is talking as much about a gaming future as it is a computing one, but the fundamental issue in game design of having multiple hardware capacities/configurations and how difficult it can be to market a game to an audience that doesn't know if their system with the same name can run it at an acceptable level.

My fear is that there will be massive investment into creating an OS not quite as functional as OSX/Windows but with no real advantages, and a cluster of very different, higher-priced machines trying to be home consoles with none of the advantages of streamlined functionality.

I'm interested to see where this goes, and I'd love to see points spelling out how they plan to avoid this.

read this yesterday, found this part a bit extreme:

Valve, AMD, Nvidia and Intel are getting together with developers to push for a future without Windows should scare the living hell out of them as they peer into the future.

they definitely aren't pushing for a future without Windows, this isn't a ganging up or whatever, they're just like to keep their options open for the future

Somnid

Tell me more about establishing a closed ecosystem because closed ecosystems are evil.

Yeah I never got this. At least I think that's what people are trying to bring up with regards to Windows. If it's Metro UI then I don't really see how SteamOS is any better as they use the same paradigm.

To be terrified you need at first some self-awareness. And a corporation is by default no single human being with such ability.

I had no idea Ben Kuchera was writing for Polygon now. That site collects well known writers like Pokemon. I liked him at Ars, though I never read Penny Arcade because, well, it's PA.

Valve being all secretive, eh? Just being Valve I guess. Really hope Linux ports take off because I want to get into PC gaming and would like to do it via a Steam Machine.

Shinta

Banned
I still haven't heard a reason SteamOS would offer a fundamental improvement in any particular area at the OS level. Like, simply having a different company at the reigns of an OS isn't a compelling reason for transition, particularly when one has limited experience in the area and hasn't demonstrated anything that's an advantage to consumers. So far we haven't even seen anything approaching even comparable features or compatibility (despite being built on well-established linux framework).

I recognize that the article is talking as much about a gaming future as it is a computing one, but the fundamental issue in game design of having multiple hardware capacities/configurations and how difficult it can be to market a game to an audience that doesn't know if their system with the same name can run it at an acceptable level.

My fear is that there will be massive investment into creating an OS not quite as functional as OSX/Windows but with no real advantages, and a cluster of very different, higher-priced machines trying to be home consoles with none of the advantages of streamlined functionality.

I'm interested to see where this goes, and I'd love to see points spelling out how they plan to avoid this.

I think you're totally right. I think they're banking on their "advantages" being evident when MS moves further into a new model that has new disadvantages.

It all seems like a bet based entirely on what they think another company may or may not do.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Why do they need to be removed? Isn't it better to have options?
Because the direction people fear they are going is to lock down windows ala iOS, and at that point any store running on Windows (ie steam) will be forced to give MS a cut.

Sorcerer

Steam OS could be a very big deal in the long term. But it would probably take a decade to even think about competing with windows/ms on that level.

Starting with games is a good way to start. You get people hooked with games and start with adoption that way.

Software devs take notice of the number of machines on the market and bring other applications to the platform.

In the long term you could end up with a very good Os for all needs with mass adoption.

Lunar15

I do think it's funny that the man who was a lead project manager on several major windows OS launches is now moving in the same direction once again.

I still haven't heard a reason SteamOS would offer a fundamental improvement in any particular area at the OS level.

Well if you want any old reason:

Valve claims that it has "achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing" through SteamOS.

We'll see if they achieve it in the future as the os continues though.

I think you're totally right. I think they're banking on their "advantages" being evident when MS moves further into a new model that has new disadvantages.

It all seems like a bet based entirely on what they think another company may or may not do.

It's a bet made to keep them safe no matter what a different company does.

Dibbz

I don't think Kooch worked for Polygon when they reviewed Xbone.

Different people have different opinions, I don't find it strange at all.

I thought the exact same thing, but notice who wrote this story, and who did the Xbox One review..................................

Sorry but there is no opinion in the quotes I pulled. It's either clunky and awkward or it isn't. It's is not subjective.

Sorcerer

I do think it's funny that the man who was a lead project manager on several major windows OS launches is now moving in the same direction once again.

That might be the beauty of it. Gabe knows the in and outs of OS launches. He knows what he hates about them and he has been very vocal about it.

He might be the one to do things differently and improve the experience in a positive way.

jelly

I think every year has been hailed as the "Year of Linux on the desktop" since about 2002. Would be interesting to see what kind of boost to Linux there is 2 years with Valve pushing it more aggressively, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Gaming is about the only thing that will propel desktop Linux adoption and gather proper support from manufactures.

For Windows, gaming is a major reason for their success. Microsoft should be worried if Linux gaming takes off with Steam OS.

If Microsoft isn't completely clueless again, they will start to take PC gaming seriously once more and not an Xbox side project.

Xis

*Microsoft laughs*, Valve has a looooooooong way to go before MS even flinches in the desktop space.

Microsoft may be king of the desktop, but it is a shrinking kingdom. Smartphones and tablets are making it increasingly irrelevant. On too of that, these Steam boxes aren't even aiming for the desktop, but for the living room.

I don't see how MS should be terrified. Steam machine still has a lot to prove compared how well the Xbox brand has done. Windows OS is way too mainstream to be replaced by anything else.

Gestault

Steam OS could be a very big deal in the long term. But it would probably take a decade to even think about competing with windows/ms on that level.

Starting with games is a good way to start. You get people hooked with games and start with adoption that way.

Software devs take notice of the number of machines on the market and bring other applications to the platform.

In the long term you could end up with a very good Os for all needs with mass adoption.

Ok, I would say that's fair enough, but since SteamOS can't run most major releases, wouldn't that run against their favor? This is what I'm trying to understand: It has fewer features than existing operating systems, it has less customization, it can only run a fraction of the games, there are no plans to make games exclusive to it, and in terms of the livingroom implementation it'll have challenges from trying to recreate a console environment with a wide variety of hardware AND still appeal to the things PC-centric gamers have described as being important to them.

You're saying it could be a big deal in the long-term, and while that's possible, do you have one single way that they've described as a basis for being able to do that? What is a shortcoming of OSX/Windows that SteamOS has said they will handle better, aside from the name of the company behind it?

Top Bottom