• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: I misread the market, the company needs to keep track of foreign trends better

hongcha

Not sure if it's been posted yet, lock if old:

In a snap news conference called in Osaka, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata admitted he had misread the markets and hadn't issued "the appropriate instructions.'' He said the company needed to change and "propose something that surprises our customers."

"The way people use their time, their lifestyles, who they are—have changed," Mr. Iwata said. "If we stay in one place, we will become outdated."

Mr. Iwata noted that Nintendo's sales in Japan were better than they were in the U.S. and Europe, and said the company needed a better way of keeping in touch with trends abroad.

"In Japan, I can be my own antenna, but abroad, that doesn't work," he said.

More here:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303465004579325760899958956

maneil99

Can talk all he wants, doesn't change what the Wii U is, which is a piece of outdated garbage with decent 1st part software

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
"The way people use their time, their lifestyles, who they are—have changed," Mr. Iwata said. "If we stay in one place, we will become outdated

Already outdated.

Anth0ny

SHOCKING FUCKING NEWS

I guess that's what happens when NOA has no say whatsoever?

He said the company needed to change and "propose something that surprises our customers."

this really sounds like they're going to try another gimmick controller. sigh.

At this point, stop trying to surprise customers. Look at what makes the competition successful... and do that, with your own unique spin. You know, third party support, good online infrastructure and all that jazz. These things are ESSENTIAL, and you lack them. No surprises needed.

An underpowered, overpriced console with a gimmick controller and ZERO third party support isn't going to fly.

At least he acknowledges one of their main problems. But learning from them is more important. Can't wait to see his long term strategy.

Dark_castle

I_ve%20made%20a%20huge%20mistake.gif

Cipherr

Good lord it took him how many years to realize this?

The better question is if Reggie is up to the task (and has just been handcuffed by NOJ), or if he is just as clueless.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Get ready for more fps and sports games everyone.

Soule

I wish I could yell this at him, some of the shit I've heard the last year or 2 and the arrogance they've shown I'm glad he's getting a strong serving of humble pie. Fucking terribly run, I still want him out as CEO but it seems that won't happen so let's hope he's learnt from this.

Alphahawk

Man, if only they had some kind of marketer in charge of their American division. Like a guy who turned previous companies, say VH1, for instance around.

akashhhhh

I find it troubling that in this, one of Nintendo's worst years on record, I bought thousands of dollars worth of games and systems from them...more than any year ever.

Why does everyone hate everything I love?

Effect

First post and all that.

About damn time Iwata. This is something many have know for a while. It's something that I think has even been asked of him in interviews I believe. Or at least it should have.

As a Nintendo fans I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing what comes from this. Finally Iwata and company are seeing just how bad things have gotten. If they want to fix this then one of the things they must do is re-empower the western branches of the company. They're the ones in the market, on the front line.

Hire Reggie for CEO

Reggie might not be the best idea actually. Perhaps you can remember that there was a period (a while before the Wii U launch) where Nintendo came out with all sorts of market analyses on what kinds of games sold best, how certain consoles where doing and so on. You'll also see that they derived Wii U's launch strategy and software line-up from that and this was all under Reggie's command.

So I don't think he understands gaming well enough to guide Nintendo to where it needs to be imo.

Dysun

At least they aren't oblivious to the truth. Let's see if it's just talk or they really intend to do something about it.

How many times is he gonna play this game of "oops I goofed we should have done things differently. Next time we'll do better!" Game?? Is the board just gonna let him continue with this bullshit?

Yeah. This was Sega's undoing as well. The Sega Saturn actually did okay in Japan for a while (even outselling the PSOne for a few years) and the Japanese HQ couldn't understand why the same strategy wasn't working abroad.

I'm being sincere with this comment: do Japanese companies realise just how alien their native culture is to the rest of the world?

I wonder if that's why SCEI found a lot of success under Kaz. He's not your typical Japanese exec.

Sandfox

Too little, too late. But good luck trying to climb back up the mountain that Microsoft has created for you. Sony too.

I think the main concern is returning to profitability rather than "fighting" with Sony and MS.

Reggie might not be the best idea actually. Perhaps you can remember that there was a period (a while before the Wii U launch) where Nintendo came out with all sorts of market analyses on what kinds of games sold best, how certain consoles where doing and so on. You'll also see that they derived Wii U's launch strategy and software line-up from that and this was all under Reggie's command.

So I don't think he understands gaming well enough to guide Nintendo to where it needs to be imo.

The actual SW lined up for the Wii U's launch window was actually pretty sound before the delays hit.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Maybe you should have taken better advantage of your divisions in other regions for feedback and market prediction, rather than just sending orders by carrier pigeon every couple months and hoping for the best.

Jeeves

At this point, stop trying to surprise customers. Look at what makes the competition successful... and do that, with your own unique spin. You know, third party support, good online infrastructure and all that jazz. These things are ESSENTIAL, and you lack them. No surprises needed.
Well, them doing that would be a surprise to me.

Anth0ny

A few more years before we get the full "I've made a huge mistake."

"The Wii U was unable to meet our expectations. This was mainly due to lack of strong software during the launch period, as we were unable to create any momentum for the platform. Rest assured that with the Wii Z, we will not make that same mistake. Please understand."

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The second quote implies we might be seeing NoA doing a bit more like people want.

It's possible.

Guys, they're finally learning. I mean, they're admitting it. Late, maybe, but it's great in the long term. Hopefully, on 30th, the mid-term plans will touch some of these issues.

SHOCKING FUCKING NEWS

An underpowered, overpriced console with a gimmick controller and ZERO third party support isn't going to fly.
I was surprised the PS4 wasn't a repeat of the PS3 disaster and that Microsoft swallowed their pride and actually went back on a lot of the features of the XB1 people fucking loathed within the span of a couple months.

He could mean that sort of 'surprise' I guess.

I don't get where the sentiment of Reggie being some gaming savior, but he's being "held back" is coming from. I don't think he has the desire, or the acumen, to turn things around. He's purely a PR hypeman. (That's not very good at hyping things.)

Though I would love to be proved wrong. Just get it together Nintendo.

fallagin

So, maybe some strengthening of NoA and NoE? That is a good start. Maybe we can see nintendo recover by the time next gen comes around.

Edit: They really really badly need to improve their online networks as well. It just wont do to ignore how powerful the internet is anymore.

If only they had, I don't know, a North American division which they've recently stripped power from. Maybe that could offer solid views on the market outside their little bubble.

Azure J

Hot damn, PROGRESS. Now to see how long it takes for him to get a better set of "antennas" in the west.

Edit: Nintendo needs EAD Europe, EAD America and maaaaybe EAD China like now.

Terra

Ah, talking about trends. Can someone tell Nintendo that the western sales of a hack & slash Zelda-game will be atrocious?

JoeM86

I was surprised the PS4 wasn't a repeat of the PS3 disaster and that Microsoft swallowed their pride and actually went back on a lot of the features of the XB1 people fucking loathed within the span of a couple months.

He could mean that sort of 'surprise' I guess.

Surprise could be good. I mean really, do we want Nintendo to just follow the trends and release a third identical console?

Nintendo need to continue to be unique while embracing things such as the online space.

I maintain that a Netflix style subscription to all VC titles would do wonders. That would be a nice surprise.

You guys might think im crazy but all Reggie cares about is being better than the comp in all ways possible. Before the Wii U launched he and geoff keighley would be talking and you should hear how he talks about how they have the best looking games and all that blah, blah... Even though its a lie thats the shit Reggie likes, he likes to win. He likes to check those boxes and with Wii U he cant check boxes anymore. Let reggie have say and he will be like the next console has to have better everything.

Sounds like the Western part of Nintendo will be having more weight now.
Saying one thing and then making it actually happen is another thing altogether with Nintendo. They're good at saying what they've done wrong and then infamous for not really doing anything about it.

Edit: this is what happens when you take any and all power away from your western outlets. Of course you're gonna be out of touch with what that market wants.

Sandfox

SHOCKING FUCKING NEWS

I actually read that more as Nintendo experimenting with mobile or looking at the second quote it could mean a more western focused Nintendo.

SHOCKING FUCKING NEWS

Haha it does sound like that, doesn't it. Looks like they're still trying to recreate Wii's runaway success.

Toski

I really wonder if the 18-35 year old male core gamer is on the table for targeting by Nintendo, because if it isn't then these are empty words from someone who should be stepping down.

Top Bottom