• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strategy on how Nintendo could kill the Wii U before the end of 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, with all the Nintendo threads lately, I figured this was as good a time as any to discuss this...

I made a thread previously on how Nintendo could achieve success in the home console market. That was predicated around a 2016 release. I believe it is now too late for that having seen the poor Q4 sales results and the forecast downgrades.

Instead of riding out the Wii U until 2016 and releasing a mid-generation refresh, the best plan for Nintendo, IMO at least, would be to release a PS4 level console by the end of 2015 with identical AMD/GCN/GDDR5 architecture to make porting PS4 titles very, very easy for third parties. With AMD touting Mantle as very similar to libGCM with low level access to the GPU, there is even a ready made API for Nintendo to use.

Down to the nitty gritty:

The Wii U currently has these flagship titles planned for it - Bayonetta 2, X, MK8, Zelda HD and Smash U. Of those titles only MK8 and Smash are pencilled in for 2014. The rest could be delayed and made cross gen titles ready for launch for the next gen console. Similar to Zelda TP on GCN and Wii. That way Nintendo are fulfilling their obligation to Wii U owners, but also making sure that next gen owners get the best of their first party output without having the same software drought.

The next step would be to ensure almost binary compatibility with PS4. Make the architecture almost identical so that third parties can put in almost zero effort to port titles. With MGS and FF going multiplatform from the start and not due out until 2015 at the earliest, it gives Nintendo a chance to put their best foot forwards by launching with these titles on their system as well as the annual sports franchises and other third party games.

The final stage is price, Nintendo must come in at a lower price than the PS4, so they should be looking at $249 or lower. Samsung have turned copying a competitor and selling their products slightly cheaper into a hundred billion dollar enterprise, one only need to ask Sony and Apple how hard it is to compete against that business model. Nintendo must look to do the same thing as Samsung. Get a me-too product out at a lower price and attract people in with their superior first party offering. They should not have to force gamers between either having Nintendo's first party on a Nintendo console or having third party games on Sony/MS consoles. Nintendo must adapt to the global market and give up on splendid isolation.

Finally, the new console must see the introduction of an account system for purchases, Nintendo must stop treating their products like toys. They need to ensure that purchases are tied to an account rather than a console.

To recap:

1. Cross gen releases of 2015 titles
2. PS4 level power and architecture
3. Cheaper than PS4
4. Every third party on board
5. End the isolationist policies
6. Introduce account system for purchases

That, I believe, would be enough to get Nintendo back in the game. Right now they are dead for home consoles. The Wii U is performing worse than the GameCube and worse than the OG Xbox and the product is ill suited for any kind of PS3 type recovery as it is last generation technology. The PS3 recovered in part because it had parity with the leading console of the generation and Sony were prepared to see it through to the end by losing around $5bn on the project. Nintendo do not have the financial firepower to lose $5bn on the Wii U, and even then I do not believe incentivising consumers in that manner will be enough for mass adoption of the Wii U.

Vylash

Ending the life cycle of a console so quickly would destroy consumer and investor trust in them and would eventually kill them

Snaku

Banned
I think a more cost effective Vita TV solution is more likely. Make it look like a mini NES, full VC compatibility, $99. Profitable stopgap until the next system.

WalkMan

Banned
You discuss the new, but what about the old? Current Wii U owners, what's Nintendo going to do for them? Also what is binary compatability... You can just say x86

2015 maybe, but 2015?

ib0uQqwjWsTHQl.gif

Brofield

Like it or not Wii U is here for the generation.

They will however have to dig deep into that warchest and put the R&D developments of two consoles into their next one.

pikmin_trainer

Neo Member
I think it would be hard to develop a console in a year and Nintendo would likely post even bigger losses if they tried to do what you suggest.

I am not an expert though so I could be wrong.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Trying to rival the PS4 in specs 2 years after the PS4 launched is short-sighted and will have them back in the same boat when the PS5 launches.

Not to mention that the R&D required to do this would make a launch in that time frame near-impossible.

Not to mention that $249 would require them to take a massive loss, which they've historically never done and which there's no good reason to do so suddenly.

Not to mention they would alienate everyone who did buy a WiiU.

Not to mention that there's no guarantee of better 3rd party support, even with more comparable specs.

Not to mention that they're just now coming to terms with how to make 360/PS3-level visuals work.

Not to mention that the people who want a PS4-level system will have already bought a PS4 or an Xbone, or be on PC.

Not to mention that this still does nothing for their Western presence, which is the biggest problem they have.

Not to mention that the bigger problem is that they've become little more than a Mario and Zelda factory.

Not to mention that this is how Sega died.

Tobor

I agree completely on killing the Wii U now. Every dollar spent there is wasted.

Take the PR hit and make a great product next time. If the product is truly great, the customers will return.

Zomg, I respect your opinion dude but what you are saying makes no sense.

Ignoring all the normal reasons why this would never happen (Nintendo culture, cost, impact on investors etc) how on earth do you expect Nintendo to both wind down support of the WiiU, R&D a new console that is that vastly different, build a competent OS that runs the games and launch in 18 months? Its lunacy.

Loofy

You cant kill an item and expect people to trust you on the next. The sega saturn killed the dreamcast.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If Nintendo were really going to cancel production of the Wii U they should make the cost of buying a successor for all current owners of the Wii U between $50-100 (ideally closer to 50) with an ambassador games programme.

That way they can piss off current owners as little as possible, since it's a cheap upgrade with free games. It would cost them money, but minimising the loss of their dedicated fan base would be what they'd need for it to have a chance.

The reason I think they have to do it is basically they have no choice. It is shit or bust for Nintendo in home consoles.

Waiting until 2016/17 will just alienate third parties further as they would be out of step with PS4/Bone in terms of power or if they go for power parity then they are stuck in a Wii U situation where everyone is wondering what the point is since PS4/Bone graphics will be old hat by then.

Addressing the concerns about alienating Wii U owners - fuck it. There aren't many of them and as long as Nintendo fulfil their obligations by releasing already announced titles they have nothing to complain about.

Also, 2015 is a key release time as that is when the first PS4 price cut is probably coming, down to $299, where PS3 did 55m out of its 80m sales. Releasing after that point would be too hard to compete against if they choose the same "current gen+" strategy like Wii and Wii U.

Tenki

Trying to rival the PS4 in specs 2 years after the PS4 launched is short-sighted and will have them back in the same boat when the PS5 launches.

Not to mention that the R&D required to do this would make a launch in that time frame near-impossible.

Not to mention that $249 would require them to take a massive loss, which they've historically never done and which there's no good reason to do so suddenly.

Not to mention that there's no guarantee of better 3rd party support, even with more comparable specs.

Not to mention that they're just now coming to terms with how to make 360/PS3-level visuals work.

Not to mention that the people who want a PS4-level system will have already bought a PS4 or an Xbone, or be on PC.

Not to mention that this still does nothing for their Western presence, which is the biggest problem they have.

Not to mention that the bigger problem is that they've become little more than a Mario and Zelda factory.

This sums it all.

Ending the life cycle of a console so quickly would destroy consumer and investor trust in them and would eventually kill them

disagree. Investors don't like to see money thrown away on hopeless projects, which is what the WiiU is.

There are so few consumers bought in at the moment that it doesn't even matter. 4 million or so is a rounding error, and a good chunk of these are the ultra hardcore that are likely to come back for the next Smash/Zelda/Mario no matter what console it's on. Nintendo also still has a very loyal userbase buying and using the 3DS. They're likely the same damn people.

Killing the system is the smart move, business wise. Dragging it out for another 2 or 3 years with no support will actually do MORE damage.

Or to put it another way, if Sony killed the Vita tomorrow what kind of impact do you REALLY think it would have on their consumer base? Fans aren't idiots. If the platform isn't selling, it isn't selling.

Good points here. Nintendo COULD do a lot of things, but it's way too late for a PS4 or Xbox Clone. Whatever is next is going to have to be significantly more powerful than those two with a different business model.

gemoran4

2015 would be silly. They would be just as unprepared as they were in 2012. I think they ride Wii U to the end of 2016 and then prepare to launch the successor in 2017.

Richie

I for one think they're going to ride this to the end, until 2016 at the earliest.
Because come on, releasing Mario Kart and Smash for a console they intend to discontinue a year later?

Then what happens when the first wave of third party games all bomb on the new console ?... You are again left with a console full of Nintendo IP's, exactly what they have with WiiU.

kswiston

Expecting every third party to magically jump on board with their best stuff, when that hasn't happened in 4 Nintendo generations (including one as market leader) seems more than a bit optimistic.

Tobor

You cant kill an item and expect people to trust you on the next. The sega saturn killed the dreamcast.

You absolutely can, but it's not easy. Apple is proof it can be done.

Granted, Steve Jobs isn't walking in the door at Kyoto, but it's not impossible.

I am sure they could get a box out by then if they wanted.

A AMD APU and some ram and boom! You have a console. (I know its abit more complex then that)

But its the network / OS / dev environment stuff that is Nintendo's weakness and something thats harder for them to simply toss money at until its fixed.

They need all that to make a difference. No one will want to buy something as expensive as a PS4/XB1 that doesnt have nearly as good non gaming functionality.

So you're saying they should give a middle finger to the fans who actually did buy a wii u (and all the people who bought it for the already announced games you mentioned...)
What could possibly go wrong if they alienate whatever loyal fans they have left...

I wouldn't mind nintendo releasing a console that is better hardware wise than ps4, without the shitty paywall and with nintendo games ,and at 199 euros or something in 2015 but that isn't gona happen either

fernoca

To recap:

1. Cross gen releases of 2015 titles
2. PS4 level power and architecture
3. Cheaper than PS4
4. Every third party on board
5. End the isolationist policies
6. Introduce account system for purchases
While I may agree with your post in some areas, is one of those things that in general "it's easier said than done". Sony spent years making the PS4 and even during the last months changing things so that they could release it at "an affordable price".

For Nintendo to release something like the PS4 by the end of this year it would meant that they would've been working on said "something" at least since early 2013. Is not like they can go to any retailer, grab hardware and make a console that not only all pieces fit and not worry about overheating and space, etc. Much less releasing it cheaper than the PS4.

Then the third-party situation won't be solved as easily as just releasing a console on par with the others, they'll have to throw some money to them too.

For nearly everything, they'll have to spend quite a few millions and considering that they went from expecting a profit to a loss by not been able to sell what they expected; is not something that they'll turn around in under a year.

Will be interesting seeing how Nintendo reacts to this in any case. The last time they were under this kind of pressure it resulted on the DS and the Wii.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
disagree. Investors don't like to see money thrown away on hopeless projects, which is what the WiiU is.

There are so few consumers bought in at the moment that it doesn't even matter. 4 million or so is a rounding error, and a good chunk of these are the ultra hardcore that are likely to come back for the next Smash/Zelda/Mario no matter what console it's on. Nintendo also still has a very loyal userbase buying and using the 3DS. They're likely the same damn people.

Killing the system is the smart move, business wise. Dragging it out for another 2 or 3 years with no support will actually do MORE damage.

Or to put it another way, if Sony killed the Vita tomorrow what kind of impact do you REALLY think it would have on their consumer base? Fans aren't idiots. If the platform isn't selling, it isn't selling.

Assuming consumers will come back no matter what is a sure fire way to failure.

Tobor

I am sure they could get a box out by then if they wanted.

A AMD APU and some ram and boom! You have a console. (I know its abit more complex then that)

But its the network / OS / dev environment stuff that is Nintendo's weakness and something thats harder for them to simply toss money at until its fixed.

They need all that to make a difference. No one will want to buy something as expensive as a PS4/XB1 that doesnt have nearly as good non gaming functionality.

They'd have to partner with or buy another company to get it done in that timeframe.

Look at what Iwata is questioning, the entire standard price console & game strategy. I think doing this is the furthest thing from their minds, Sony can price match them at that point with cheaper RAM and maybe cheaper apu (everything else inside is basically the same as the PS3 slim)

And I agree that they need to spend Years building up a competitive infrastructure, unless they buy one off an established party. And I'm guessing EA is off the table.

Nintendo is not cancelling the WiiU. They may halt production until they deplete inventory, but there is no way they are going to kill the console. Even if they do have a trick up there sleeve, it will launch alongside the WiiU not as a replacement for it.

Thats why something like a Nintendo tablet makes more sense than a new home console. It can be a more fleshed out standalone gamepad.

DSN2K

what retailers will be selling the WiiU by the end 2014 is the question, 2015 is a long way away for a failing console.

RPGCrazied

I'm still waiting on the Zelda announcement. Why not show it already? No, I'm not talking about the dynasty warriors like game. And more info on X of course, this is what is holding me back from buying a Wii U.

And is Metroid dead or something?

kswiston

Fans might understand that the platform isn't selling, but why do you expect them to jump on board for round 2 if the product they spent $300+ on last time was DOA after 18-24 months?

fernoca

that's how they ended up with the Wii U in the first place
And the 3DS too. Heck, it's why they released it at the $250 price-tag too. Then again, even Pachter thought they should've release it at a higher price since "people would jump to it anyway", so they weren't' the only ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom