• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Soodanim

Anor Londo is fucking huge... :O

my jaw was on the floor

Despite my hundreds of hours played, I looked at the horizon in Anor Londo for the first time today. You can see buildings on the horizon texture, which implies that the city is fucking ginormous. I always thought it was a fairly small city for the gods and some others.

INdeed! ...and Miyazaki was just splitting offf to start project beast at the same time as he was cleaning up the DLC; the question is, did he use the ideas of Manus and Marvelous Chester in Project beast after the fact, or did he already have some Beast stuff in his mind and thought to leave a few eggs of Beast empregnated in Dark SOuls as a farewell gift?!?!!?? Would be interested to hear this quesiton asked of him in the next interview...hopefully ENB was on to this question at his sake party with Miyazaki.

I assume maybe it was just the style he was messing with right after finishing the main game and it continued into Bloodborne.

Also I have reached the final boss and he kind of kicked my butt.

Think I will level up my equipment a bit and kick this guys ass in a few.

I assume maybe it was just the style he was messing with right after finishing the main game and it continued into Bloodborne.

Also I have reached the final boss and he kind of kicked my butt.

Think I will level up my equipment a bit and kick this guys ass in a few.

Bring a shield! Only boss, I always take a shield with me.

Bring a shield! Only boss, I always take a shield with me.

Switched to a shield with better fire defence and got him. Even then I rolled away from most of his attacks.

I really like the bosses where its just you fighting a person. Never much cared for the giant bosses where you are killing them by cutting their ankles to bits.

Final Thoughts.

Dark Souls is a pretty good game you guys.

Switched to a shield with better fire defence and got him. Even then I rolled away from most of his attacks.

I really like the bosses where its just you fighting a person. Never much cared for the giant bosses where you are killing them by cutting their ankles to bits.

Final Thoughts.

It's one of the best games of all time if you ask me. Probably played around 100 hours in it.
Once you really understand all the facets and bits and pieces of lore it really makes you appreciate it.
Such a shame it had such a short development cycle though, it could have been even better if they had fixed blighttown and had more time with the 4 lord souls, particulary Lost Izalith and the Bed of chaos.

It's one of the best games of all time if you ask me. Probably played around 100 hours in it.
Once you really understand all the facets and bits and pieces of lore it really makes you appreciate it.
Such a shame it had such a short development cycle though, it could have been even better if they had fixed blighttown and had more time with the 4 lord souls, particulary Lost Izalith and the Bed of chaos.

Definitely up there as far as "last generation" games for me. I didnt get into the lore at all but the world is one of my favourites, and the fact its all connected and the way you see bits of future or past landmarks as you go is done super well.

I didnt hate Blighttown as a area. It just sucks the performance is dog shit.

Tomb of the Giants was the area that have me the most trouble. Eventually I just cheesed it by getting the Cast Light spell.

My current play through was about 37 hours and that's with the DLC which I only did after getting 2 or 3 lord souls.

The first time I played it it took me that long just to get the lord vessel and then I took a break and never went back. Even then I think the first 20 of that was just getting over that hump to learn the flow of the game.

Cant wait for Bloodborne and Ill give that remaster of 2 a go during the summer. Dont want to get burnt out.

Booshka

STR weapons are pretty awesome for low level builds actually. Since the hard cap on STR scaling is 27. Start as a Pyro or Bandit, get to 27 STR, then 2 hand every STR weapon you can upgraded to +15 (Great Club, Man Serpent Greatsword and Demon Great Machete are my favorites). You will do a ton of damage, unlike elemental weapons which turn into crap against DLC bosses and on further NG+ playthroughs. I like Pyro with 27 STR so I can use Power Within and some other Pyromancy, makes you a monster with damage, you are just very squishy with low Vit.

Shesh,
Manus
is night and day different from a ranged character to melee. Took me several tries with my strength guy, and I had to go in the menu to swap weapons during the fight. :) I thought I read he is weaker against lightning, but my lightning zweihander +4 was doing pitiful damage. Luckily, the great club +15 rocked his world.

I tried summoning
Sif
since I didn't do that the first time, and I guess he is there for the cool factor? I didn't notice him doing any damage, and he only pulled agro once (for that weapon swap). I guess it makes sense...weak from events.

Sanctuary

You caught Mildred on a good day, sometimes she just stands at the door and runs in a circle!

I've never had her spaz out like that. In other news, I didn't even know there was an NPC phantom for this fight until after I was on like my 9th playthrough.

Also, the Gold Hemmed Set was even better prior to the early nerf patch. It was and in most cases still is one of the best early-mid armors, although I still typically make a mad dash for the Elite Knight set and wear that the majority of the time.

Tomb of the Giants was the area that have me the most trouble. Eventually I just cheesed it by getting the Cast Light spell.

If you go there late enough, you can actually have an item that will illuminate the area and doesn't require a hand slot. Speaking of that area, I actually went through the graveyard on my first playthrough, not even noticing the stairwell next to Firelink for the longest time. I thought "Yeah, this is kind of harder than Demon's" and then "What the fuck is this shit?" while entering the Catacombs at like level 10 or something.

I've never had her spaz out like that. In other news, I didn't even know there was an NPC phantom for this fight until after I was on like my 9th playthrough.

Also, the Gold Hemmed Set was even better prior to the early nerf patch. It was and in most cases still is one of the best early-mid armors, although I still typically make a mad dash for the Elite Knight set and wear that the majority of the time.

If you go there late enough, you can actually have an item that will illuminate the area and doesn't require a hand slot. Speaking of that area, I actually went through the graveyard on my first playthrough, not even noticing the stairwell next to Firelink for the longest time. I thought "Yeah, this is kind of harder than Demon's" and then "What the fuck is this shit?" while entering the Catacombs at like level 10 or something.

Still easier than Shrine of Storms.
Except for Nito.

Shesh,
Manus
is night and day different from a ranged character to melee. Took me several tries with my strength guy, and I had to go in the menu to swap weapons during the fight. :) I thought I read he is weaker against lightning, but my lightning zweihander +4 was doing pitiful damage. Luckily, the great club +15 rocked his world.

I tried summoning
Sif
since I didn't do that the first time, and I guess he is there for the cool factor? I didn't notice him doing any damage, and he only pulled agro once (for that weapon swap). I guess it makes sense...weak from events.

I had the misfortune to facehim in NG+ what a nightmare for my sorcerer

Helping
Sif
change the his intro in the vanilla game also is lore tied since Artorias use his shield to save
sif
from the Dark, as a summon yeah just for tanky assist.

2AdEPT

My god there's so much science and prep work to this game.
yup...its a deep game man real deep....the science makes the replayability pretty rich and the chance you missed something cool inevitable.

Final Thoughts.

I agree, and there is a pretty good possibility I will be looking forward to Bloodborne over the next few weeks, I would say. /s

kaos.

I definitely agree with the topic title.
Played Dark Souls for more than two years, making tens of different runs (main run was beyond NG+8) and it never bored me... i had to force me to uninstall it to begin to play something different.

On the other hand, its sequel tired me after 200 hours "only" (one main run until ng++++, 20 no death/no bonfire, iron keep pvp... mainly with friends).

Because i'm new in this forum (this is my first post!), do you know if i can link an "easy SL1 guide" that i made?
Maybe someone could find it useful...

Sorry for my english, i'm not mother tongue. -_-

I definitely agree with the topic title.
Played Dark Souls for more than two years, making tens of different runs (main run was beyond NG+8) and it never bored me... i had to force me to uninstall it to begin to play something different.

On the other hand, its sequel tired me after 200 hours "only" (one main run until ng++++, 20 no death/no bonfire, iron keep pvp... mainly with friends).

Because i'm new in this forum (this is my first post!), do you know if i can link an "easy SL1 guide" that i made?
Maybe someone could find it useful...

Sorry for my english, i'm not mother tongue. -_-

I think you are good to link your guide bro.

MUnited83

For you.
zT8LbxT.png

Dark-Souls-games-meanwhile-in-memes-744749.gif

Now to wait for a sale on DS2!

2AdEPT

Thank for reply. :)
Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE4mw-LAaMo&index=1&list=PLPBnDKcowL3oJRRulxY3Gt4DiVlsELqnX

This run is far from being perfect... but i couldn't think an easier way to do it.
Anyway, I hope it could be of some help to all the people that are doing a SL1 for the first time.

Good stuff bro! Have you ever tried a no upgrades run?? SL1 isnt much different than a regular run if you dont get hit much, and of course the bosses dont have that opportunity in hyper mode with fully upgraded weapons. A very good video for new players who want to get into challenge runs though...kudos to kaos!

Booshka

I prefer starting level and equipment runs, since SL1 playthroughs just turn into Club and Pyromancy playthroughs.

Same, low level builds with 16 STR and 14 DEX for weapon diversity are a lot more fun. If you want a challenge you can avoid Elementals, or upgrading altogether. SL 1 is a pretty boring run compared to one with a ton of weapon variety.

kaos.

Good stuff bro! Have you ever tried a no upgrades run?? SL1 isnt much different than a regular run if you dont get hit much, and of course the bosses dont have that opportunity in hyper mode with fully upgraded weapons. A very good video for new players who want to get into challenge runs though...kudos to kaos!

Thank you for your words. :)
Anyway, yeah, i did it and i think that it is a lot funnier than SL1.
I also enjoyed a lot the bow only run.

I prefer starting level and equipment runs, since SL1 playthroughs just turn into Club and Pyromancy playthroughs.

Same, low level builds with 16 STR and 14 DEX for weapon diversity are a lot more fun. If you want a challenge you can avoid Elementals, or upgrading altogether. SL 1 is a pretty boring run compared to one with a ton of weapon variety.

Hi guys, i'm with you... as i said above, i think that low level+no upgraded weapons is far more amusing than a SL1... but there are too many people that have problems doing SL1 runs (i helped a lot of "SL1 guys" who were stuck against O&S)... so that's why i did this "guide". :)

Is the crimson armor better or worse than dingy armor?

It has lower elemental/ magic resist stats than the Dingy set, so Dingy is probably better. And you'll find another set later that can't be upgraded, but has pretty good stats. But again don't really worry about armor. If you put too much work into it then you're going to be unpleasantly surprised once you get to the tougher bosses on NG+.

Leveled up the Claymore to about +9, Pyromancy flame at +10, got the Great Fireball and Great Combustion spells and hopefully I'm now ready for Sens Fortress.

Booshka

Leveled up the Claymore to about +9, Pyromancy flame at +10, got the Great Fireball and Great Combustion spells and hopefully I'm now ready for Sens Fortress.

You're good, there are some more materials to get your Claymore to +10 in Sen's. If you don't have a Repair Box, Weapon Smith, and Armor Smith Box, I would work on getting those before you finish Sen's.

Great Fireball and Great Combustion are fantastic Pyro Spells.

You're good, there are some more materials to get your Claymore to +10 in Sen's. If you don't have a Repair Box, Weapon Smith, and Armor Smith Box, I would work on getting those before you finish Sen's.

Great Fireball and Great Combustion are fantastic Pyro Spells.
200_s.gif

sup brahs

im a dark souls noob i just got to smough and ornstein and im shitting massive bricks... people online tell me to kill smough first but others tell me to kill ornstein first idk what to do :(

Booshka

sup brahs

im a dark souls noob i just got to smough and ornstein and im shitting massive bricks... people online tell me to kill smough first but others tell me to kill ornstein first idk what to do :(

Orns first is usually easier because he is more aggressive, so you can kite Smough easier while you attack Ornstein. Using the Pillars, getting Ornstein to stagger, and avoiding Smough all the while is how you win that fight. Don't commit too much when attacking, always have enough stamina to roll away or block. Don't use Lighting damage against Ornstein, bleed buildup is very strong against Smough.

What weapon are you using and what are your STR/DEX stats?

Orns first is usually easier because he is more aggressive, so you can kite Smough easier while you attack Ornstein. Using the Pillars, getting Ornstein to stagger, and avoiding Smough all the while is how you win that fight. Don't commit too much when attacking, always have enough stamina to roll away or block. Don't use Lighting damage against Ornstein, bleed buildup is very strong against Smough.

What weapon are you using and what are your STR/DEX stats?

i got a Halbred +10

my dex is at 30 and my strength is at 16.

2AdEPT

sup brahs

It really depends, if you dont care about the loot (you get the armour of whoever you kill LAST) and you just want to beat them solo without summoning, my advice is to kill Ornstein first. He teleports accross the screen and can blindside you prettty bad, whereas Smough is slower and easier to track. There are always some who disagree withthis though and say that super smough is too tough so they try him first. Either way, either boss is a lot easier without their henchman there.

Most people would advise you that Ornsteins armour is better than smoughs (looks cooler mostly but is a mid armour where Smough is tank.) That might be the reason you are getting mixed advice.

Booshka

i got a Halbred +10

my dex is at 30 and my strength is at 16.

Alright you are good, thats a strong weapon, and +10 is where it should be at this point. Just keep trying, I suggest mid/fast rolling in the fight. If you want to Block, use a shield with High Stability and Lightning Resist.

2 Handed Halberd can stagger Ornstein in a couple hits, and deal a lot of damage quickly. So, avoid his attacks, capitalize on a window of opportunity, switch to 2 handed and get some hits in. Rinse and repeat.

If you want, you can try Smough first, depends on your style, so the other way around might be easier for you.

sup brahs

Ornstein/Smoug is way better for newcomers since Smoug is pretty slow even with the buffs so its easier to get down compared to Smoug/Ornstein: Ornsteirn becomes a pretty fast to handle and can destroy you in a blink if you are not careful enough.

Also always use the pillars to survive some attacks and divide them to better kiting of ornstein

kaos.

sup brahs

Usually i kill Smough first, because it's easy to defeat Super Ornstein staying always under him, between his feet.

Finished Sen's Fortress and now in Anor Lando. Crystal Halberd is a pretty decent weapon, Lighting Spear +3 isn't bad either, Claymore is now +10, rescued big hat Logan, also have a Halberd +9.

2AdEPT

Finished Sen's Fortress and now in Anor Lando. Crystal Halberd is a pretty decent weapon, Lighting Spear +3 isn't bad either, Claymore is now +10, rescued big hat Logan, also have a Halberd +9.

Just keep in mind that the crystal halberd is non-reparable. Indeed I think it resets its wear and tear each time you upgrade it...if confiremed on that point, go slow with the upgrades and save for a special occasion...many have had to revert to it for the next boss as they didnt do as good a job as you in upgrading some good weapons.

Just keep in mind that the crystal halberd is non-reparable. Indeed I think it resets its wear and tear each time you upgrade it...if confiremed on that point, go slow with the upgrades and save for a special occasion...many have had to revert to it for the next boss as they didnt do as good a job as you in upgrading some good weapons.
Ok, guess that means I'm putting that down and picking my claymore back up again. Those Titan statue things are a pain in the ass.

I read that abandoning your covenant through Oswald results in no betrayal, but the wiki pages says it cuts the offerings in half. Does this only apply to offerings in progress (not all the way to the next rank), or would it mean I'd need twice the items to rank up when rejoining?

So for example, could I join the Warriors of Sunlight (rank 1), then the Blades (rank 1), then Gravelord (rank 1), and finally rejoining WoS in NG+ to use the exclusive miracle, only needing the 10 items for each one as normal?

Mistel

Banned
So for example, could I join the Warriors of Sunlight (rank 1), then the Blades (rank 1), then Gravelord (rank 1), and finally rejoining WoS in NG+ to use the exclusive miracle, only needing the 10 items for each one as normal?
It takes half of the offering you have given to the covenant so from 10 it goes to 5 etc. It should work like that, but bare in mind there are penalties for your eventual betrayals.

Going to The Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants before Blighttown sure is interesting. I wanted to gain early access to some miracles and the divine ember, and somehow I forgot what a pain it would be to exit the place without the Lordvessel. Making my way from the TotG bonfire to the Cata bonfire was the most tense experience I had in this game. All those giants and archers in the dark, the annoying Bonewheel Skeletons, a Black Knight, and a Necromancer fireball to the face makes this GOAT material right here. Resting at the bonfire and knowing I wouldn't have to redo the whole thing felt better than beating most other games.

While I'm on the subject, is that room with the divine ember the most evil thing in the game or what? I had to try so many different things (and 2 rings of sacrifice) to get that thing. Going later on with better gear and a ton of health makes it easier of course, but wow. See ya in 30 or so game hours after I have the Sunlight Maggot, TotG. :)

Going to The Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants before Blighttown sure is interesting. I wanted to gain early access to some miracles and the divine ember, and somehow I forgot what a pain it would be to exit the place without the Lordvessel. Making my way from the TotG bonfire to the Cata bonfire was the most tense experience I had in this game. All those giants and archers in the dark, the annoying Bonewheel Skeletons, a Black Knight, and a Necromancer fireball to the face makes this GOAT material right here. Resting at the bonfire and knowing I wouldn't have to redo the whole thing felt better than beating most other games.

While I'm on the subject, is that room with the divine ember the most evil thing in the game or what? I had to try so many different things (and 2 rings of sacrifice) to get that thing. Going later on with better gear and a ton of health makes it easier of course, but wow. See ya in 30 or so game hours after I have the Sunlight Maggot, TotG. :)

If you have some spare fire bombs you can nuke the room from safety if not well you need a good 2 handed weapon to stagger everything

If you have some spare fire bombs you can nuke the room from safety if not well you need a good 2 handed weapon to stagger everything

I only had a few bombs and they didn't hit much of anything. I had to use a mix of a bow to get their attention, then lightning spears and my crossbow. Having a +9 divine halberd this early will be nice, though.

2AdEPT

I agree! Except when I did it I was doing a no upgrades sl1 run (was stupidly trying to get sanctus without the lordvessel)...that means no ability to kill everything with pyro and only had the 5 estus...couldnt kill the giant skellies with no upgrades weapons and still have enough estus for the bonewheels and the rest of catacombs. Still it was indeed the best feeling of the entire series when I saw the light of day again! had to use arrows which didnt do damage to aggro bonewheels one at a time, had to agro two giant skellies and get them to jump off a ledge (while I satyed on the ladder and climbed up where they just vacated, etc, etc, etc, was very rewarding indeed as it took all of what little metnaI energy I had to figure it all out.

That's pretty brave to get the large divine ember before the Lord Vessel! I often grab the silver serpent ring (and Rhea if I'm using miracles) very early and homebone back to Firelink, but I wouldn't dare attempt getting the ember, kudos!

And yes I think it is the most evil room - They definately put that overhanging ceiling over the upper walkway so that it would make casting spells more difficult, and I've slipped off one too many times when casting a fireball or throwing a firebomb to not take too many risks there!

I get a SL1 run, but I'll put on a hat and tip it to anyone that does a no upgrade run. Growing up playing RPGs where upgrades in level and gear is the name of the game has me unable to compute no upgrades in Dark Souls. Insane.

I agree! Except when I did it I was doing a no upgrades sl1 run (was stupidly trying to get sanctus without the lordvessel)...that means no ability to kill everything with pyro and only had the 5 estus...couldnt kill the giant skellies with no upgrades weapons and still have enough estus for the bonewheels and the rest of catacombs. Still it was indeed the best feeling of the entire series when I saw the light of day again! had to use arrows which didnt do damage to aggro bonewheels one at a time, had to agro two giant skellies and get them to jump off a ledge (while I satyed on the ladder and climbed up where they just vacated, etc, etc, etc, was very rewarding indeed as it took all of what little metnaI energy I had to figure it all out.

Doing the catacombs and the tombs of giants before the lord vessel is pure pain but huge rewarding as well for the kindle rite, more if you unlocked the shortcuts on the catacombs its and chilling trip going back to the top. A wonderful experience without the lordvessel.

The Capra Demon was terrifying. Thankfully, I repeatedly abused the attack after climbing a ladder.

But the boss fights in this game are so tense!

So far it's a brilliant game.

Top Bottom