• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Anyone get random delayed dodges that are not just queued actions? Full stamina when it happens. I'll go to dodge, nothing happens (I can still move around), and then a few seconds later I'll dodge. Losing 70k souls by rolling off a ledge on the way to collect my bloodstain is no biggie, but I notice it in boss fights from time to time. Just curious if it's the game, or something going on with my Xbox wireless receiver.

Thanks Tarkus :(

tarkyrobnp.jpg

I dropped on his head and his AI just froze, so my character was in a perpetual state of falling. About a minute after I took this shot with a potato I died. Thanks Tarkus!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The Dark Souls II Design Works has started being translated.

Tanimura: Yes, this game actually went through quite a troubled development process. Due to a number of factors we were actually forced to re-think the entire game midway into development.

Satake: ...In the original game the butchers in the depths carrying the giant meat cleavers and wearing torn sacks over their faces. When making them Mr Miyazaki never told us that they were women. On hearing that even we were surprised so I’m sure the players were similarly shocked. Rather than the artists producing those surprising twists it is in fact more down to the directors instruction.

On the previous game map and character artists weren’t separated but on this project i was in charge of the maps

Satake: Yes, while working on the previous game I remember thinking a larger game would be completely unthinkable, but this project eclipsed it in both size and scale. I told myself multiple times during development that it was impossible

The mirror knight was also the boss of the first playable build wasn’t he?

Satake: Well he has a strong image doesn’t he. Most people who saw it seemed to praise the subtle wing design embossed on the back of the armour, but personally I always loved the way the helmet looked. You can never tell what part will resonate with people.

Tanimura: Dark Souls’ Solaire of Astoria was a huge fan favourite wasn’t he. I liked the complexity of the character. On the face of it he’s a typical npc that might appear in any game, supportive and jovial to a fault, but underneath it all he’s deeply troubled. It’s only when you start to consider what type of person he really is that you discover he’s actually in an extremely dire situation. I really think that that’s tremendously clever and one of the things that draws people to the character.

More here

So...anyone think Kalameet is a little unbalanced, or is it just my style of play? I can smoke him with a sorcerer or pyromancer type character, but I can barely make contact in melee. I mean I was in his face the entire time with my pyromancer like a melee class, but the little extra range made all the difference. It's funny. I'd say the other 3 DLC fights are superb in melee. It's so satisfying reading Artorias's moves and dropping the hammer on him when he leaves himself open.

That reminds me, did I read right and they added the ability to target large bosses legs in DaS2? I can't wait to check out 2 and Bloodborne now. Demon Souls remaster also, please. :) I never even planned on playing Souls and now 1 is near the top of my favorite games.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hi everyone...bit of a Dark Souls obsessive here. I've finished one playthrough on the 360 and am up to Anor Londo on my second (although it's just NG as I'm playing it through on the PS3 this time).

I started off as a magic user, but both times I've fallen into just using a Black Knight Sword +5. Is this weapon just completely OP? I'd really appreciate any suggestions for alternatives - I'd like to try something different.

krakov

Hi everyone...bit of a Dark Souls obsessive here. I've finished one playthrough on the 360 and am up to Anor Londo on my second (although it's just NG as I'm playing it through on the PS3 this time).

I started off as a magic user, but both times I've fallen into just using a Black Knight Sword +5. Is this weapon just completely OP? I'd really appreciate any suggestions for alternatives - I'd like to try something different.

It has high base dmg and is easy to upgrade. Almost every other similar weapon is superior. If you like it try the claymore (str/dex) or man-serpent greatsword (str). Almost every weapon in good so just upgrade what you like to swing around.

Tarkus

It's OP for most of the game. It's moveset is a bit "ornamental" to say the least. The Claymore is superior in almost every way.

The zwei is another good melee weapon alonside the black kngiht albert and the demon axe, sorcery take a loooong time to get the best spells aka saving logan and buy all his spells to sell you the crystall spells in Duke Archives.

So...anyone think Kalameet is a little unbalanced, or is it just my style of play? I can smoke him with a sorcerer or pyromancer type character, but I can barely make contact in melee. I mean I was in his face the entire time with my pyromancer like a melee class, but the little extra range made all the difference. It's funny. I'd say the other 3 DLC fights are superb in melee. It's so satisfying reading Artorias's moves and dropping the hammer on him when he leaves himself open.

That reminds me, did I read right and they added the ability to target large bosses legs in DaS2? I can't wait to check out 2 and Bloodborne now. Demon Souls remaster also, please. :) I never even planned on playing Souls and now 1 is near the top of my favorite games.

No way, Kalameet is one of the best boss fights in the whole game for melee.

Any tips for a pyro? I'm at queelaag and obviously have to resort to the crappy drake sword, but in general I'm not overly pleased with this build. Pyro seems slow and has few casts. I've got it upgraded +2 currently and use fireball mainly. Don't have a lot of spells yet.

I'm used to str characters and sorcery, btw.

Any tips for a pyro? I'm at queelaag and obviously have to resort to the crappy drake sword, but in general I'm not overly pleased with this build. Pyro seems slow and has few casts. I've got it upgraded +2 currently and use fireball mainly. Don't have a lot of spells yet.

Upgrading the glove is a must and acquire some spells with the worm guy

So yesterday I returned to my first play through in Dark Souls after a two year hiatus. Given that I left off at Gravelord Nito, you can imagine my struggle to figure out/refresh the controls and items I had at my disposal in the middle of the Tomb of the Giants. Luckily figured out that I had a light spell so I can see, and quickly figured out (by accident) a way to speed run to the lower level where Nito is.

After two attempts on Nito (first time sucker-punched/stabbed me as soon as the intro cutscene ended), I moved on and made some steady progress. Had some trouble with the Armored Tusks and died quite a bit trying to get to a chest that ended up having some crossbow in it in the archives. I will say that I did not miss the serpent warriors. One-on-one is ok, but two or more is a death sentence.

Today I finally got a hold of that item on top of the bookcase, so I was able to focus on getting through the archives and down to the Crystal place (was really surprised by the NPC in the Gold Golem).

Scaleless took quite a few attempts, mostly for trying to see what the tail might yield. However, either it would clip through the wall, Seath would endless rotate, or initiate what was basically an instant kill tail party attack. So I gave up on that and concentrated on Seath proper. 2 attempts later and he went down.

So New Londo Ruins...what a pain in the ass. Death means traveling all the way from Firelink. The frame-rate isn't consistently terrible, but not the greatest either. And the ghosts not wanting to get out of the stones combined with the precarious footing make the combat a pain in a way that doesn't feel right for the game. Was actually glad to run into the Dark Wraiths, who are pretty easy to deal with. Those Drakes...not so much. Had to go get my Stone Armor to have a chance, though I was surprised at how easy they were stunned.

Went back to Firelink after clearing out and fully exploring the courtyard where that mass with the map spanning spear and specter suicide heads was. Judging by the the writing in the area, the next part is the boss (guessing Four Kings like that NPC that gave me the key said). Sounds like it might be pain, especially if the Four is literal and at the same time. That double fight earlier in the game was bad enough.

My stats are somewhat in the dirt IMO. Level 82. Vitality is at 20, Endurance at 30, Strength 29...can't remember the rest, but feel like some stuff feels off. I know in my ignorance near the beginning of the game I put points in Resistance, so there's that (I think it's at 8).

All that said, I'm really enjoying my time with it. Pretty eager for Bloodborne next week, if anything but my character to be a bit more mobile. All that footage has spoiled me.

Edit: Yikes at the Crystal Armor repair costs.

Hypron

IIRC dex increases the casting speed for Pyromancies, so it's definitely a must if you've got some points to spare.

gogosox82

Thanks. That was an interesting read. Explains a lot about how the world design was a bit lacking.

Kalameet is an amazing boss fight especially in melee. It really helps if you can play unlocked because he moves around a lot and breaks you lock on quite a bit because of this.

I know right? you can use other heavy armor like black iron armor or Havel set if you want fellow guardian

I think I have both sets and I use Havel when I'm boss hugging, but I like being able to be more mobile. Which is odd considering that two years ago I was definitely the type to turtle up.

Should probably look into reinforcing more gear too. Just a shame that I don't remember what I was all working towards before, though I was happy to see that my Greatsword of Artorias was +5.

Upgrading the pyro flame is essential. There's no stat investment but it can be expensive to fully upgrade all the way. I would also level up attunement and start using other spells, (great) combustion is especially deadly, the firestorm type spells can be good and power within is a must for bosses. The power of your spells can also be further boosted by gear like the dusk crown and bellowing ring, so picking those up is also a priority. All this can be done super-super early too, you can be end-game powerful before even killing a single boss (as long as you have the souls!)

Gaf I've come across a problem & thought maybe you could help. I upgraded my fire great scythe to +5 & it no longer shows up to be upgraded at any blacksmith. Now yes I just recently grabbed the very large ember from new londo ruins & I'm sure I gave it to a blacksmith though I can't remember who. Yet my scythe still does not show up. I've talked to every one of them & it still doesn't show up. I even went back to see if I picked up the ember & the chest is opened citing that I did get it. How can I solve this problem gaf?

Mistel

Banned
Gaf I've come across a problem & thought maybe you could help. I upgraded my fire great scythe to +5 & it no longer shows up to be upgraded at any blacksmith. Now yes I just recently grabbed the very large ember from new londo ruins & I'm sure I gave it to a blacksmith though I can't remember who. Yet my scythe still does not show up. I've talked to every one of them & it still doesn't show up. I even went back to see if I picked up the ember & the chest is opened citing that I did get it. How can I solve this problem gaf?
That's because you require the very large flame ember to upgrade it not the very large ember.

Oh wow, I feel really dumb for that. I guess I defintely overlooked that thank you very much. I saw on YouTube the location and oh boy I'm gonna have some fun today lol

Go, and never look back to that place lol

I think I have both sets and I use Havel when I'm boss hugging, but I like being able to be more mobile. Which is odd considering that two years ago I was definitely the type to turtle up.

Should probably look into reinforcing more gear too. Just a shame that I don't remember what I was all working towards before, though I was happy to see that my Greatsword of Artorias was +5.

Elite Knight armor set work wonders unless you want to go light armor and go for the crimson armor set

Go, and never look back to that place lol

Elite Knight armor set work wonders unless you want to go light armor and go for the crimson armor set

I think Elite Knight was what I had started reinforcing a bit. I'll check later today to see what's there and the progress made. Also will put up my stats.

Probably won't have time to run through it on this play through, but I'll probably buy the DLC at the end of the week. About $10 on PSN?

I think Elite Knight was what I had started reinforcing a bit. I'll check later today to see what's there and the progress made. Also will put up my stats.

Probably won't have time to run through it on this play through, but I'll probably buy the DLC at the end of the week. About $10 on PSN?

There is a good medium armor there, the Ciaran armor set and the artorias armor set

Booshka

Unless your DEX is at the bare minimum, don't make a Fire/Chaos Scythe. Take it back to +5, modify to +10 with Andre, then move it toward +15 with the same Blacksmith. It will do a lot more damage with physical damage scaling and a healthy investment in Dexterity.

If you have kept your Dex super low, like under 20, then take it to the blacksmith in the Catacombs and upgrade your Weapon there.

There is a good medium armor there, the Ciaran armor set and the artorias armor set

Sweet.

Anyway, big stat/armor/weapon info dump:

Level 82

Stats:

• VIT: 20
  • Attu: 10
  • END: 30
  • STR: 30
  • DEX: 20
  • RES: 14 (possible armor buff, since I remember it being 8 yesterday)
  • INT: 20
  • Faith: 20

Weapons/Shield commonly equipped:
  • Greatsword of Artorias +5
  • Hollow Soldier Shield +5
  • Longbow +5
  • Socerer's Catalyst
  • Halberd +10

Armor:
  • Sets: Elite Knight Armor (+3, +3, +2, +1), Havel, Crystalline
  • Common Head options: Mask of the Child

Rings:
  • Havel's and Wolf

I have a ton of stuff, as I generally only sell extra items and have been fairly thorough.

You shouldn't put anymore points in RES it's a waste. Other than that a balder shield would be worthwhile to get to replace you hollow soldier one, you can get one from the merchant in sens or just farm one.

Oh yeah, I know. That was a mistake from 2 years ago when I knew nothing about the game. Too late to turn back since I'm about to fight the Four Kings.

And I'll look into the Balder shield. I likely have it in storage.

Booshka

Ark, level your Vit to 30, adjust your armor/weapons to use Ring of Favor instead of Havel's and still be able to Mid roll. Go really light on the Armor to fast roll if you'd like. If you are using a lot of spells, then focus on either Faith or Intelligence, dont mess with both. If not, then put more into Vit, End (up to 40), or Dex (up to 40). Ditch the Greatsword of Artorias and work on a +15 Claymore, or +15 Halberd if you like that.

In general, let those stats stay where they are, and focus on a couple. Moving them all up will become nigh impossible with how much it costs to level. So focus on a few. I suggest Vit to 30, End to 40 and Dex to 40. Try to mid roll with FAP ring and Wolf instead of Havel's. FAP ring will get you more Stamina and HP as well.

Ark, level your Vit to 30, adjust your armor/weapons to use Ring of Favor instead of Havel's and still be able to Mid roll. Go really light on the Armor to fast roll if you'd like. If you are using a lot of spells, then focus on either Faith or Intelligence, dont mess with both. If not, then put more into Vit, End (up to 40), or Dex (up to 40). Ditch the Greatsword of Artorias and work on a +15 Claymore, or +15 Halberd if you like that.

In general, let those stats stay where they are, and focus on a couple. Moving them all up will become nigh impossible with how much it costs to level. So focus on a few. I suggest Vit to 30, End to 40 and Dex to 40. Try to mid roll with FAP ring and Wolf instead of Havel's. FAP ring will get you more Stamina and HP as well.

Thanks! I worked hard to get the Greatsword of Arteries, but it's not a very eloquent weapon and I was even missing some really easy hits in the Four Kings fight when trying to keep to their back or side as much as possible. And I don't use any spells generally. Only to light my way in Tomb of the Giants and possibly aggro enemies.

Good news: Just beat Four Kings on a single attempt, though I was down to my last flask. That mid range halberd sweep of theirs is brutal.

Edit: Hmm, no Balder shield. Guess I'll be farming Balder Knights or making a purchase at Sen's.

Edit 2: What's the nearest warp to Sen's Fortress?

Demon Great Machete, Black Knight Greatsword, Greatsword are the same as regards to the R1 and rolling R1 movest. Zwei is unique with its R2's though.

None of these ever felt right to me :/ Oh well, any recommendation on greataxes or greathammers? I'm thinking of trying out the Dragon Tooth? Any good?

Booshka

None of these ever felt right to me :/ Oh well, any recommendation on greataxes or greathammers? I'm thinking of trying out the Dragon Tooth? Any good?

Great Club and Large Club are stronger and weigh less.

If you have high STR, the Great Club, Large Club, Demon Great Axe and Demon Great Machete should be your go to weapons.

Make the Demon weapons Crystal if you can, they have high durability so they last a long time and can be replenished for more Crystal versions if needed.

Upgrading the pyro flame is essential. There's no stat investment but it can be expensive to fully upgrade all the way. I would also level up attunement and start using other spells, (great) combustion is especially deadly, the firestorm type spells can be good and power within is a must for bosses. The power of your spells can also be further boosted by gear like the dusk crown and bellowing ring, so picking those up is also a priority. All this can be done super-super early too, you can be end-game powerful before even killing a single boss (as long as you have the souls!)

Thanks. What is your favourite spell for regular enemies, and your favourite for bosses? Fireball doesn't seem to do enough damage, although I literally just upgraded my pyro flame to +10. I have firestorm and it's not too shabby. I'd like to abandon melee altogether at this point.

gogosox82

Sweet.

Anyway, big stat/armor/weapon info dump:

Level 82

Stats:

• VIT: 20
  • Attu: 10
  • END: 30
  • STR: 30
  • DEX: 20
  • RES: 14 (possible armor buff, since I remember it being 8 yesterday)
  • INT: 20
  • Faith: 20

Weapons/Shield commonly equipped:
  • Greatsword of Artorias +5
  • Hollow Soldier Shield +5
  • Longbow +5
  • Socerer's Catalyst
  • Halberd +10

Armor:
  • Sets: Elite Knight Armor (+3, +3, +2, +1), Havel, Crystalline
  • Common Head options: Mask of the Child

Rings:
  • Havel's and Wolf

I have a ton of stuff, as I generally only sell extra items and have been fairly thorough.

Hmm. I think I would +15 the halberd and just pump vit and dex until they are 40. You might also want to mix and match armor so that you can move better. If your wearing havels armor, you don't really need to wear the wolf ring. 40 poise is usually enough for pve. If you have the ring of favor and protection, I would wear that. It will give you a boost to your vitality, endurance, and equip load.

Okay just made a uchigatana +15 and this sword is so good especially with good stamina you can slice for days against multiple enemies, it makes you feel so cool like some rurouni kenshin type of thing. Also what the hell is up with the demon ruins it's just multiple mini bosses (that are way weaker). Seems kind of boring.

Top Bottom