• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Forest- New screenshots [indie survival horror, Oculus Rift]

Currently in development at indie studio SKS Games, The Forest is an open-world adventure where survival from the elements is as important as escaping the enemy. Players have to chop down trees to build a camp, start a fire to keep warm, scavenge food to prevent starvation and find and plant seeds to grow crops.

Traps can also be built, and over time players will be able to strengthen their shelter, building fortresses to protect them from the mutants that roam during the night.

According to its developer, SKS Games, the game lets players "enter a living, breathing forest with changing weather patterns, plants that grow and die. Tides that roll in and out with the day/night cycle. Below ground, explore a vast network of caves and underground lakes."

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...ore-about-oculus-rift-horror-game-the-forest/

image_314179_full.jpg

image_314181_full.jpg

image_314177_full.jpg

image_314180_full.jpg

image_314185_full.jpg

image_314184_full.jpg

image_314183_full.jpg

image_314182_full.jpg

image_314178_full.jpg

Super stoked for this game. It's going to be nuts with an Oculus.

Man, I hate when a game looks interesting but then you see the enemies are zombies.

They're smarter than zombies and more like I Am Legend vampires. They're apparently going to care about each other and their own lives and will retreat if the odds turn against them. That's the stated goal anyway. You can see in the last screen, one of the mutants cradling or dragging away a hurt mutant.

Kyuur

Isn't a GAF member part of the team making this? I remember seeing a screenshot in the indie dev thread. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Looks scary as hell.

Man

You thought Silent Hill, Amnesia, White Day etc are scary games?

VR is actually going to give some people mental issues. I'm not sure the industry is ready.

Nev

Banned
Even a fan of everything horror like me is actually thinking this might be too much. I thought the moment when horror games would have graphics capable of making you stop playing on visuals alone was far away.

This looks great.

I'm still waiting on a good survival game though that has coop. I'd love to try to survive with a friend or two. It would add an extra layer of managing resources, planning, communication and helping. I know it's a lot more work to figure out the details, but whenever I play Don't Starve I can't help but think how fun it would be with another player.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Damn, all these crazy horror games are making going pc and Occulus kind of tempting. You guys think you could get a decent rig together for less than 700 usd including a headset?
I'm keeping my eyes on this for the future.

benSks

Neo Member
Isn't a GAF member part of the team making this? I remember seeing a screenshot in the indie dev thread. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Looks scary as hell.

That was me, i posted i think the first trailer and an image in the indie dev thread awhile back. I've been meaning to post more updates as the game develops but it's really hard to find the time.

These screens look weirdly compressed, we have nicer uncompressed versions on our website http://survivetheforest.com/screenshots/ if anyone is interested

Plus, here are a couple more shots we didn't release- the woman shot since i haven't finished her hair shading yet. And the second image we thought was cool, but its so blurry we thought it would be bad to show : )

WomanDay.jpg

Blurry.jpg

^Looks beautiful benSks. I'm sure you've been asked this before, I'm sorry if it has, but I haven't seen many posts from you so I may have missed it. Is there any chance you guys might bring this to PS4 or Xbox One? I'd snatch this right up on my PS4, since I don't have a gaming PC capable.

Tagyhag

The game looks great but I'm cautiously optimistic about it. There's always those games who's vision exceeds its grasp.

benSks

Neo Member
^Looks beautiful benSks. I'm sure you've been asked this before, I'm sorry if it has, but I haven't seen many posts from you so I may have missed it. Is there any chance you guys might bring this to PS4 or Xbox One? I'd snatch this right up on my PS4, since I don't have a gaming PC capable.

Yeah we'd love to. We've actually had great discussions with both MS and Sony. The team is currently only 4 people full time, so we're focusing on the PC version first

*NOPE* threshold breached, commencing thread evacuation

First I've heard of this, I like the survival and camp-building aspects, but I hope it doesn't devolve into "safely beat pursuing monsters with a stick" like Siren Blood Curse does.

DocSeuss

The FOV in these shots seems extremely narrow and really bothers me, even from a stationary perspective.

Does this have to be played with the Rift?

RoKKeR

Yeah we'd love to. We've actually had great discussions with both MS and Sony. The team is currently only 4 people full time, so we're focusing on the PC version first
This is great to here, would love to see this on both next gen consoles.

YuShtink

Damn, all these crazy horror games are making going pc and Occulus kind of tempting. You guys think you could get a decent rig together for less than 700 usd including a headset?
I'm keeping my eyes on this for the future.

Sadly, probably not. There is a good chance the OR will only be $300. But I think you'll need AT LEAST a $700-800 PC to run games for the consumer Oculus. Especially since it's basically just been confirmed from Palmer himself that the OR will need games running locked at ~95Hz instead of 60 like originally planned for the low persistence. For a "presence" like VR experience without every graphical effect turned way down I think the absolute minimum you should be willing to spend is $1000 for the PC+OR. Maybe in 2-3 years there will be some evolved Steam Machines that have the juice for a $500-600 price.

YuShtink

This will definitely be a game I'll have to play in the Oculus Rift. Looks great!

Man, with how intense a little mini-game like Dreadhalls is in the Oculus Devkit, I honestly can't imagine how scary games like this will be in the Consumer kit. Like paralyzingly, traumatizingly scary.

Unless you've tried a proper horror demo on the Rift devkit, you guys honestly have no idea how crazy this shit is about to get. Horror junkies will be pushed to their limits, guaranteed.

Top Bottom