• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Icycalm is Making an (Über)game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, THE icycalm. Everybody loves him and he loves everybody. At some point he had an account here and now he needs YOUR help!

uncle-sam.jpeg

Some quotes from his fantastic and sexy website.

His goal:
A real game, not the joke I was planning to make a couple of weeks ago. I got emails from a couple of guys who wanted to help with that, and after a little bit of chatting about it I decided to go for the real thing.
So, we've already started work and will have a basic prototype of the first area soon. However, it will be a hugely ambitious game (think Far Cry 2 crossed with Deus Ex, only better in every respect) so we are going to assemble as large a team as possible to make it happen (because, contrary to what the pseudo-intellectuals say, the best games are always made by the largest teams — and this INCLUDES Biohazard 6 you fucking pretentious fagots with shit taste).

Who he is:
I am the number 1 videogame and art theorist in the world, and the game will adhere as strictly as technology will presently allow us to all of my theory's conclusions.

The Requirements:
We need every kind of game developer under the sun — and as many of them as possible. If you've ever sat through the credits of a game like Deus Ex 3 and Far Cry 2, you'll know what I mean. There is simply no theoretical limit to the number of individuals from whose contributions such a game can profit. The only limiting factor, indeed, is the skill of the director — how capable is he of motivating the team to deliver the right content? of appraising and vetting that content so that only the best of it makes it through? of integrating that content within his grand design so that it ends up performing precisely the function which he had envisioned for it instead of getting out of control and ruining the whole thing? When a subhuman says "that director's team was too big", you should translate it as "that director's skill was too low to handle a team of that size". If you've been reading Insomnia for a while you might have realized how good I am at getting the best out of people: from the numerous reviewers who started out regurgitating the same bullshit as everyone else ("this game has no gameplay!"), and who after my coaching are now able to churn out unmatched articles and reviews in a couple of hours on a regular basis, all the way down to forum contributions from individual people who come and go and leave only a single post behind them — a single post which, due to my unmatched value-appraising skills and ruthless moderating style is better and more valuable than all the hundreds and thousands of posts they have scribbled in their lives in every other forum.
So, if your strong area is coding or content creation, get in touch. If your strong area is writing, get in touch. The game will have enormous and labyrinthine dialogue trees — even if you have no technical expertise you can still pitch in if creating branching paths and mind-bending character interaction is something that fascinates you and you are good at (or at least think that you might be good at — you can always give it a try, and I'll be sure to let you know exactly where you stand).
Note that there won't be any expectation of delivering a specific amount of work from anyone. Everyone will contribute as much as they can whenever they can, and the work will go on for as long as is necessary to reach completion. The atmosphere will be entirely relaxed, and you are welcome to kick back and just watch the game being built if for whatever reason you are not capable of helping in any way during various periods of the development process. Besides, we'll need playtesters anyway — people who will go in without knowing much if anything of the design, and come back and tell us what they thought of the experience. This is a task that even I won't be able to perform, since it's impossible for the game world to have a significant impact on its creator. What would help here is good reviewers (like all those who have contributed reviews to Insomnia over the years), and their being willing to analyze our work in the same manner they have analyzed the games they have reviewed — all the while keeping THEIR MOUTHS SHUT regarding this experience to the rest of the world until the game is ready to be unveiled. So, add playtester to the list of wanted personnel — and we'll need loads of those too.

How to apply:
All you have to do is send me an email at icycalm@culture.vg where you will introduce yourself to me and tell me in which area(s) exactly you think you might be able to contribute, and also of any prior experience you might have. At that point I may or may not ask you to submit a trial contribution, and if that goes well I'll invite you to join the team. (If, on the other hand, you actually have some prior work to show me, we will omit this step and I will evaluate your offer to join based on the strength of that work.)
Note that, once I've invited you to join, you will have to subscribe to the site if you aren't already a subscriber. This is for two reasons. 1) There will be a (hidden) subforum on the site where we will work on the übergame, because this method is superior to trying to exchange emails between dozens of people. And 2) I want to know your real name (which PayPal will give me) because I don't want to allow anonymous people to join in and take a peek at the game before I am ready to unveil it. If you prefer to work pseudonymously — via a handle, like zinger, for example — that's fine, and I will not divulge your personal information to anyone. But I will still need to know who you are because I don't want my game design leaked ahead of time, if I can prevent it. (It won't be a huge deal if it's leaked anyway, because everyone else is too lazy, untalented and incompetent to do anything with it even if they had it, but I still want to try and keep it under wraps for as long as I can.)

Money:
As regards the financial issue, there will not be any money changing hands on this project for a very long time. However, money WILL eventually come into the equation — either in the form of a major publisher taking us on and funding our project (the preferred solution, since as every real gamer knows the best games are always funded by the biggest publishers), or of an eventual Kickstarter campaign, or Steam Early Access, or episodic release of the game via Insomnia's online store, with each chapter funding development of the next one. All of this will be discussed in the game's forum at the appropriate time, as will the issue of compensation for the various contributors. The more, and the more valuable, your contributions end up being, the bigger the slice of the pie you will eventually receive.
The big prize though will always be the work itself — making NOW, what is BOUND to be made by someone at some point. Giving a swift kick to the present, and propelling it that little bit faster into the future. Creating art history, and showing the rest of the world how great art is made. With unbounded ambition, and unfettered enthusiasm.
But above all with a fuckload of talent and a crapload of resources. Which is where you come in.

http://culture.vg/features/commentary/alex-kierkegaard-is-making-an-ubergame.html

So, let's do it, GAF! Get involved and be part of the Übergame!

UPDATE:
http://culture.vg/forum/topic?f=13&t=4775
Pretty much the only real idea in all these threads is the belief that I am incapable of "delivering", whatever that's supposed to mean. I'll clear this issue up soon.

In the meantime I'd like to announce that I've finished ALL the aspects of the preliminary design -- both aesthetic (setting/plot) and mechanical. The design document is several pages long (perhaps 3 or 4 or so, I can't tell because I am writing in Wordpad), and, at least as far as mechanics are concerned, even if I dropped dead tomorrow a very capable director (think Clint Hocking, Sid Meier or Kojima) could take it from my hard drive and go off and complete the game in a couple of years, technology permitting (because the scope and concept of the game is so bleeding edge I don't think there's an engine on the market capable of powering it at the moment, except if it's custom-coded for absurd hardware like four GTX Titan Blacks or something). This as regards mechanics, because as regards plot development and "message", no one can finish this game but me. But I do plan to start writing down the full plot soon, so when that's done, yeah, I could very well drop dead and the game could still be made by someone else at some point down the line.

Here is a list of influences, to get an idea of the kind of complexity I am talking about:

Far Cry 2
Deus Ex
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Orgy of the Will
Blade Runner
Planetary Annihilation
Highlander
Elite
Dune (the Amiga videogame by Cryo)
Iron Man 3
Killer 7

From some of these works I am taking mechanics, from others aesthetics and plot, or scope and "message", or a combination of some or all of these. The design document includes detailed explanations of precisely what I am taking from each work, but I am not going to post it here because... as long as I am working on the project, I don't want anyone to run off with my ideas. Trust me when I say, though, you'd sell off your left kidney to play this game the moment you read the details of my design. Nothing else you've ever played comes close, and nothing remotely like it is being planned for any point in the foreseeable or even the unforeseeable future. You'd have more fun simply READING my design than PLAYING even the best future game that is currently in the planning stages. That's the kind of gigantic leap forward I am talking about here.

I am also planning a teaser trailer for release in a couple of months. I'll post more news here when I am ready to unveil them.

Is that the same guy who charges a yearly fee for his website that he only updates about once a year if he's feeling generous, and spends most of his free time googling his name instead of actually writing anything?
I'd put more trust in the rotting carcass of Nietzsche to get anything substantial done with game development than him.

MYeager

A video game project that's asking for a bunch of people to (at least temporarily) volunteer their time and talent, to put together game under the creative direction of a guy who opens claiming those who disagree with his opinion on RE6 are 'pretentious fagots'[sic], and any future compensation is negotiable depending on unplanned funding sources...plus you need to pay to subscribe to his website to be involved in the project?

What could possibly go wrong?

system11

Oh wow, he just keeps delivering. I tried so, so hard not to ban him on the forum I run, but he's just unable to function alongside other people.

Lautaro

Sounds like your typical "idea guy" that roams every game developers forum (FYI idea guys are mostly ignored... and sometimes mocked).

Zia

He sounds like a mythomane in the best case scenario or a cult leader wannabe in the worst.

I wasn't familiar with him until his spat with Jason Rohrer (which wasn't so much a spat as it was Rohrer dopily trying to engage him while he shat on Rohrer's face), but yeah, I think cult-like is a very good descriptor.

system11

Well, his arcade culture piece was good. Too bad he's crazy, or at least that's his character.

No, it's really what he's like.

Completely dysfunctional on almost every level, he was normal-ish once (nearly a decade ago) but spiralled off into insanity once he discovered philosophy. Now he's like a deranged cult leader, with minions who pay him for the chance to post in his forum until such time as he disagrees with them, or they forget a full stop and get banned.

Someone as intelligent as he considers himself to be would realize that the proposal in the OP is a recipe for failure. This game will never be made.

Also comical that he's essentially making an indie game considering how he feels about those.

Emitan

(because, contrary to what the pseudo-intellectuals say, the best games are always made by the largest teams — and this INCLUDES Biohazard 6 you fucking pretentious fagots with shit taste).

Wow he sounds like an intelligent, well adjusted person.

rovan

Banned
He speaks:
Update: There is some confusion over whether this will be an "independent" game. As a matter of fact, it will be a highly dependent one: everyone will be dependent on everyone else — no one will be independent. Hope that clears this up.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
(because, contrary to what the pseudo-intellectuals say, the best games are always made by the largest teams — and this INCLUDES Biohazard 6 you fucking pretentious fagots with shit taste)
Then why does Assassin's Creed III sucks, pray tell me?

IcyCalm is a self obsessed dick who has an extremely narrow view of the history of art and its philosophy. Also, he has an insane fan base who inflate his ego and judge themselves off of his existence. Cult man. Cult.

rovan

Banned
Then why does Assassin's Creed III sucks, pray tell me?

I'm not a philosopher, so I can't be sure, but let me take a stab at this solving this conundrum.

The best games are made by the largest teams, does not mean that the largest teams always make the best games.

*Whew* almost broke a sweat there.

wonzo

Banned
Dudes crazy but his Arcade Culture piece was mind-opening. I'd play the shit outta this if it ever comes out.

Togbis

Banned
Just gonna post this here:

“Well, there are many ways to make money, and flipping burgers is certainly one of them, but there are others. When faced with a similar situation, for example, I chose to steal money using an elaborately-planned scam. The entire business lasted a couple of months, and then I had enough money for half a decade. Plus it was extremely interesting, challenging, fun, etc. Crime in general is extremely fun — I would be doing it even if I were not being “paid” (lol) to do it.”

Source: http://icycalmisacriminal.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/icycalm-is-a-criminal/

I know GAF love pretentious pseudo-intellectual people. But I'm not sure if I would trust this guy with my money. Try googling his name a bit before you invest.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I know GAF love pretentious pseudo-intellectual people. But I'm not sure if I would trust this guy with my money. Try googling his name a bit before you invest.

whoever is seduced by this is probably banned already

BOTEC

IcyCalm is a self obsessed dick who has an extremely narrow view of the history of art and its philosophy. Also, he has an insane fan base who inflate his ego and judge themselves off of his existence. Cult man. Cult.

Really? People like this guy? I think he's been banned/ostracized from every gaming forum/community I've ever read, and his own were a ghost town last time I checked. That was admittedly, a bunch of years ago.

Good idea! But this is the wrong place to put up such a pitch.

Instead why don't you put an advert / article up on Gamasutra.com? I'm sure loads of devs sick of iphone games would be screaming for the chance to make a great game.

sn00zer

Whenever anyone says it like Game X and Game Y ONLY BETTER! My immeditate reaction is that it will be lke neither and terrible

Good idea! But this is the wrong place to put up such a pitch.

Instead why don't you put an advert / article up on Gamasutra.com? I'm sure loads of devs sick of iphone games would be screaming for the chance to make a great game.

Gaf is huge. We have tons of developers around here and gaming sites tend to get their "news" from gaf too.

What? I don't know who it is either and I've been posting here longer than you. Sounds interesting though, even if I don't like his use of fagot.

Check out his site. Many of his old articles can still be read without payment. Make yourself comfortable and enjoy. Some of my favs:

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/arcade_culture/
http://insomnia.ac/commentary/on_role-playing_games/
http://insomnia.ac/commentary/videogame_culture_preface/

Kade

Just gonna post this here:

Source: http://icycalmisacriminal.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/icycalm-is-a-criminal/

He's a pretty big scam artist and likes to use Baudrillard and Nietzsche as a shield for his shitty behaviour in a failed effort to look intelligent for his equally shitty dick riders. This is probably just another "icycalm" scam.

Anyone that thinks casually using the word "fagot" is going to be widely accepted has already demonstrated that they are idiots who don't deserve money.

And as others have said, this is all idea, not concept. Everyone can be an idea man, but a concept is something more.

shaowebb

So an "idea guy" with no actual skills wants to get a bunch of people with skill to make "his idea". Making a game is about putting together a team with similar goals and interests with a skillset to match. Everyone has to contribute and you have to make certain everyone's ideas are heard, weighed, and considered. Its either something made by all of you or eventually it will be something finished by none of you. From his track record I am betting this will turn out to be the latter.

Sharp

I would say this guy can't be serious but I know lots of people really are naive enough to believe that inviting a bunch of unpaid volunteers across the world to collaborate on a project that you have done no preparation for will result in an epic dream video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom