• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 getting fan HD treatment (If Capcom lets it live)

Koyuga

I love it. Been wanting this for so many years! Using the RE4 camera isn't too big of a deal to me, especially since they want to include both options. I like manual aiming.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It honestly looks terrible. Where's the real fan remake. The 1.5 remake.

Released this four days ago.

1604525_252688524892087_873145145_n.jpg

News Bot

Banned
3 and CV are garbage

Not at all. However, there are genuine reasons why each isn't exactly BIO2 quality.

BIO3 was originally "BIO1.9", a small-scale indie-style game. They bumped up the scale midway but it's still rather reminiscent of its former self. Despite that it's still a solid, great game.

CV wasn't developed by CAPCOM.

docbon

Why people keep ignoring the OP?

Not reading the OP has become sacrosanct around these parts.

It's kind of gross to see people clamoring for a fan-made remake to receive a cease & desist. Regardless of the potential quality of the final product, they're obviously doing it out of love for the series rather than for profit (which they can't make). If you don't like it, continue pretending it doesn't exist.

because it looks dumb.

Nice.

Kaldea

The only way I'd want RE2 remade is if it turned out like the RE1 REmake. I'd cry tears of joy if that ever happened.

But I'm desperate for more RE2 so I'd probably try out anything. :(

Jigorath

Banned
As long as they're not making money then I don't see why Capcom would try to shut it down. Then again common sense isn't exactly Capcom's strongest point. Do people even read the OP? They said they're developing it in the classic fixed camera style as well.

Grief.exe

That looks amazing, too bad the game is non-existent on digital platforms at this point.

Makes it difficult to acquire.

ryan13ts

It said they're giving two types of cameras, the old style and the RE4 type. That's pretty smart, as it caters to people of both camps (Those who loved the wonderful old games and those who like the abominations that ruined RE after CV).

Obviously I'd much prefer the former with fixed camera angles, but I do understand that others might like the RE4 style. It's also in a very early state obviously, so it's a little too early to judge it as being awful right away.

However, like others here have said, it probably wasn't too smart to show this off in such an early state, it's just asking for C&D. Capcom is notorious for trying to shut down things like this. They're probably afraid they'll eventually be shown up by an small group of fan developers with they're own IP, considering the sorry state they're in these days.

when i read the thread title, i was like "how are they gonna HD all those backgrounds.. by hand? AMAZING!!"

Then i came in and its just an ugly RE4 mod.

scitek

Capcom will not let this live, and even if they did, this probably wouldn't be a good remake.

Edit: oh, and making it play like Resident Evil 4 is missing the entire point of old-style RE games.

This isn't RE2. This is RE4 with a RE2 skin.

Ew at it being RE4 style

From the comments.

The game will be developed in two ways.
The classic mode that will have the fixed camera.
New Gen Mode instead have the camera in third person.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
good. I want to experience it both modes. Kinda want the REmake job on RE2 f capcom ever decides to remake it.

Capcom will not let this live, and even if they did, this probably wouldn't be a good remake.

Edit: oh, and making it play like Resident Evil 4 is missing the entire point of old-style RE games.

How is changing the camera angle missing the point of the original game when...it changes nothing but the camera?

Idkbutlike2

Neo Member
I don't think RE2 is action packed enough to warrant the over-the-shoulder TPS gameplay that RE4 invented. Don't get me wrong, I love RE4's combat and gameplay, but it just doesn't fit the more adventure-driven level design of RE2. That game was more about hunting down key items and solving simple puzzles. RE2's combat was kept purposefully simplistic to account for the game's clunky controls and weird camera angles.

Christopher

Great locations.
Great sountrack.
Improved gameplay while still mantaining the classic tank controls.
Memorable enemies.

How is it a mistake?

The only mistake in my mind is calling it "3" instead of Resident Evil: Side Story or Resident Evil 2.5.

CamHostage

It said they're giving two types of cameras, the old style and the RE4 type. That's pretty smart, as it caters to people of both camps (Those who loved the wonderful old games and those who like the abominations that ruined RE after CV).

Obviously I'd much prefer the former with fixed camera angles, but I do understand that others might like the RE4 style. It's also in a very early state obviously, so it's a little too early to judge it as being awful right away.

I suppose as an option, it's an interesting choice that would allow players to better explore their favorite environments, but from a pure gameplay standpoint, there's no way to balance RE classic and RE4-style gameplay. Combat balance is not designed for the accuracy that a free-roaming camera would allow (assuming they give you RE4-style targeting alongside the RE4 camera. At that point, it kind of stops being a RE2 remake and becomes a new game in RE2 environments.

djshauny

Banned
Imo opinion this is a good thing and will hopefully show Capcom how much people want the old style Resident Evil games again.

G-Fex

Great locations.
Great sountrack.
Improved gameplay while still mantaining the classic tank controls.
Memorable enemies.

How is it a mistake?

locations suck. Mess of a circle of a city map.
improved? Fucking dodging shit never worked right.
Enemies were awful.

KDC720

How is changing the camera angle missing the point of the original game when...it changes nothing but the camera?

This, RE4 has tank controls just like the original games, they only thing they changed was the camera, and giving you a bit more freedom when aiming. Looking at the footage, it seemed Leon's gun didn't have a crosshair or laser sight when aiming, which means it would be harder to hit enemies when using the over the shoulder camera.

Alfredo

Lol at people saying it looks like RE4 gameplay. I didn't see a single melee attack, so as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't look anything like RE4.

As for the quality of the game, it's fan made, and I assume they're not gonna try and charge money for it, so whatever. They should keep at it. If Capcom shuts them down, oh well. The worst to come from that would be just getting people's hopes up that Capcom is considering a proper remake. :p

ChronoX

Time and time again! Why oh why do people who do unofficial remakes announce these things before they are done or released into the wild. Of course you're going to get a slap to the face from the parent company.

People really should NOT announce stuff like this before completion. They'll just get shut down.

If things go well though, they should be able to port this pretty much everywhere because it's running on Unity.

Top Bottom