• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella is Microsoft's new CEO

Castef

Banned
Details here.

0130-satya-nadella-630x420.jpg

From Wikipedia:
"Satya Nadella (Telugu: సత్య నాదెళ్ల)(born 1967) was named Chief Executive Office of Microsoft on February 4, 2014. Previously, he was executive vice president of Microsoft’s Cloud and Enterprise group, responsible for building and running the company’s computing platforms, developer tools and cloud services.

Nadella worked as the senior vice president of R&D for the Online Services Division and vice president of the Microsoft Business Division. Later, he was made the president of Microsoft’s $19 billion Server and Tools Business and led a transformation of the company's business and technology culture from client services to cloud infrastructure and services. He has been credited for bringing Microsoft's database, Windows server and developer tools to its Azure cloud. The revenue from Cloud Services grew to $20.3 billion in June 2013 from $16.6 billion when he took over in 2011."

Also:
"Stephen Elop will still rejoin Microsoft shortly to lead an expanded devices team focused on Surface, Windows Phones, and Xbox"

Bill Gates steps down as chairman, will assist new CEO as 'technology advisor'

10 Things to Know About Satya Nadella, Microsoft’s New CEO

Mael

Elop will still rejoin Microsoft shortly to lead an expanded devices team focused on Surface, Windows Phones, and Xbox.

My poor, poor, poor Surface T.T
It's fucked.

QaaQer

Gates is 1/3 back.

While Nadella takes over as CEO, co-founder Bill Gates is stepping down as chairman today and his new official title is technology advisor. "I'm thrilled that Satya has asked me to step up, substantially increasing my time at the company," says Gates in a video commenting on Nadella. "I'll have over a third of my time available to meet with product groups and it'll be fun to define this next round of products working together."

Xater

I have to say that I never heard of Nadella before. I don't know if this is good. The Verge article also isn't loading for me so I can't read up on it.

It's fucked.

It always was fucked.

Danny 117

I don't know if this guy is a good pick or not, relating to the fate of the Xbox division. What has he said about it?

Elop is going to lead the Xbox division?!

It´s over.

To be fair he can't get rid of the Xbox division or he is out of a job.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/ceo/index.html

With a perspective based on more than two decades at Microsoft as someone who pushed to make dynamic changes happen, both in the company’s products and its culture, Satya Nadella says he is both “honored and humbled” to succeed Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer as the third CEO of Microsoft.

“Our industry does not respect tradition - it only respects innovation,” he says. “The opportunity ahead for Microsoft is vast, but to seize it, we must move faster, focus and continue to transform. I see a big part of my job as accelerating our ability to bring innovative products to our customers more quickly.”

He started his career as a member of the technology staff at Sun Microsystems. In 1992, he joined Microsoft. He was on his way to get a master’s degree in business when the Microsoft job offer came. The company was building an operating system that ultimately would be known as Windows NT, and needed team members who understood UNIX and 32-bit operating systems, he says. Nadella wanted to complete his master’s degree and take the Microsoft job. He did both.

01_low.jpg

tensuke

I wonder who'll replace Gates as the chairman.

Also, if Elop is in charge of devices which oversees Xbox, well...The cruise was nice while it avoided icebergs.

Mael

I have to say that I never heard of Nadella before. I don't know if this is good. The Verge article also isn't loading for me so I can't read up on it.

It always was fucked.

There's being fucked and being put in a division helmed by Elop...
All this will be spinoffed so fast it'll make heads spins if that Nadella is any good now.

teiresias

To be fair he can't get rid of the Xbox division or he is out of a job.

Depending on whether the division manages to actually be in the positive at last he may get a promotion by getting rid of the Xbox division. Trying to use gaming consoles as a living room entertainment center Trojan-horse is such a 90s-early 2000s strategy that I'm surprised they even went through with it. If they're really interested in such a thing they've got better ways to do that with services and making deals with TV manufacturers.

Sounds like a Japanese or Chinese name but he looks American

Maybe to someone who doesn't know anything about Japanese or Chinese names? And what does an American look like?

Depending on whether the division manages to actually be in the positive at last he may get a promotion by getting rid of the Xbox division. Trying to use gaming consoles as a living room entertainment center Trojan-horse is such a 90s-early 2000s strategy that I'm surprised they even went through with it. If they're really interested in such a thing they've got better ways to do that with services and making deals with TV manufacturers.

So true. And yet they're throwing billions of dollars at it hoping to make it stick. How is it possible that the Xbox division is billions in the red again? I just don't understand why they can't consistently keep their heads above water.

PG2G

I actually like Elop TBH. Maybe not a perfect CEO candidate but he was always pretty awesome to us Windows Phone users.

That said, there will likely be someone under him focusing explicitly on Xbox

It's fucked.

Shit... if that guy is coming back I might never get a newer Surface... it's legitimately a great fucking device, but I have no faith in that man.

EDIT: I heard those rumors (as most people already did) of Gates coming back as a tech advisor. Good to see that he's back in the saddle.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If Gates is returning to a more active role, that's good for MS. I feel this new guy will get walked over by Billy.

foxbeldin

I actually like Elop TBH. Maybe not a perfect CEO candidate but he was always pretty awesome to us Windows Phone users.

That said, there will likely be someone under him focusing explicitly on Xbox

The guy wanted to put an end to bing and xbox.

LiK

Are some people really focusing on his name, ethnicity and appearance over his accomplishments?

To be honest there's few like him that are more qualified for the position. Microsoft is huge, you'd need someone from the inside who get's it. Also, the guy's been a superstar in the Cloud and Enterprise division for a while.

Maybe I thought it was a Chinese or Japanese name because Satya maybe reminded me of the name Saturo for some reason

But it shows how much I know about Japanese and Chinese names after all of them replies haha

sakipon

It doesn't sound like either of those things... at all.

I have no idea who he is and how good of an appointment this is, but it'll be interesting to watch.

If anything, it could sound a bit Russian. You know, like Nadya or Katya. I have no idea about Indian names, though.

Top Bottom