• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella is Microsoft's new CEO

Only if it doesn't perform well. Where perhaps under Balmer's lead they might have stuck with it and tried again next gen, I can see these guys cutting the cords all together when it comes down to it.
Everyone seems to be missing that Bill Gates is essentially back at MS (says he will be spending 1/3rd of his time at MS). Xbox was his baby and as long as he's advising Nadella, Xbox isn't going anywhere. If Nadella/Gates are a failure, only then is the Xbox division at risk. And it seems unlikely -- MS is poised for a huge 2015 with Windows 9 going back to its roots.

teiresias

01_low.jpg

reminds me VERY much of

1278286-xbox_e3_kickoff_celebration_hxll8wvs6jel.jpg

BELIEVE!

I was about to say. It's obvious MS still contracts out to the same firm they had do Allard's makeover.

foxbeldin

Who's Elop and why is his appointment bad for Xbox? I never heard of him.

Ex-Nokia's CEO, drove the company so low that it was sold to.. Microsoft where he applied to be take's Balmer's CEO seat while keypoints of his campaign were selling/killing Bing and...Xbox division.

Not sure how i feel about Elop and Xbox...

Satya always looked like a nice guy to me. I don't know how he will lead the company though because that's another ball game.

RetroStu

Banned
the "worst" thing that can happen to XBOX is to become a service accessible through MS varied hardware plateforms.

and that won't happen neither tomorrow nor the day after.

The type of internet you would probably need to stream next gen (and better) games is beyond many people, thats why i think streaming is a long way off.

Into

Nadella is instantly more likeable and relateable than Balmer was, who came across as a corporate bully circa 1994. So that is good news

Elop is nothing but trouble, there is more to him than what he did at Nokia.

Mael

Elop's done some amazing things with Windows Phones in spite of Nokia's already sinking ship (he didn't torpedo the company guys)... but he did say previously that he would get rid of the XBOX division so... it's a toss up.

The guy announced that the current line of Nokia products was obsolete while the next line wasn't even out thus making the business of his company toxic.
He made his company make a partnership that proved to be disastrous to his company success (at pretty much the same time).
Seriously look up Nokia under his leadership, he basically killed what was left of Nokia.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Dude looks, appears, sounds, and has the background of the anti Ballmer.

I fail to see how this isn't anything, but a fucking MASSIVE boon to MS. Plus it isn't Elop or some dude Ford with no clue about the industry.

Tectonic win for MS today. Welcome back from the dark ages MS!

KoopaTheCasual

Elop is going to lead the Xbox division?!

It´s over.
Lol, as stated before he can't get rid of it anymore, or else he loses his job. But umm... yea, not the best move for the Xbox division. Nevertheless, excited to see what direction Nadella leads the company in. He seems like a very capable individual.

But why put him at the head of that division then?

Because he's experienced.

Elop may had failed to save Nokia, but in MS, he's arguably the only high-level executive with the experience of managing a large scale hardware company that has a very, very global presence at the retail level.

MS doesn't really have anyone else that checks that kind of box.

Derrick01

Banned
Ex-Nokia's CEO, drove the company so low that it was sold to.. Microsoft where he applied to be take's Balmer's CEO seat while keypoints of his campaign were selling/killing Bing and...Xbox division.

Oh wow I kind of like this guy already. Sounds like there will be lots of entertaining times ahead.

Microsoft appoints new CEO.

NeoGaf debates over his name.

To be fair, that was one person who made a bizarre observation, and others rebuffing it. There's plenty of conversation about the actual appointment.

This is a very interesting choice for MS, though not one I'm surprised by. This selection is a vote for Enterprise and cloud computing; a forward looking industry, and where most of the growth has been in MS over the last few years. Presumably as well, their technology is pretty good in that area, so they're playing to their strengths. The products division on the other hand has been chasing a "me too" style for years now, and hasn't made nearly the inroads the amount spent should have warranted. I personally think Windows Phone, Bing, and Surface are awful brands, and while their products are serviceable (And some would argue even quite good), getting over that perception hump hasn't been easy. Whether or not that battle continues to be worth fighting is a totally open question. The Xbox's fate as a device under Elop is a fascinating as well (Well, the future of all those devices really), and I find it difficult to imagine Elop will champion the Xbox over the other devices in that category. Maybe he will though. Time will tell. Either way, it should be an interesting next few years.

Sky Chief

Elop's done some amazing things with Windows Phones in spite of Nokia's already sinking ship (he didn't torpedo the company guys)... but he did say previously that he would get rid of the XBOX division so... it's a toss up.

Not really. Sure enough, Elop was brought in because Nokia was a sinking ship but he greatly accelerated the rate of sinking.

Everyone seems to be missing that Bill Gates is essentially back at MS (says he will be spending 1/3rd of his time at MS). Xbox was his baby and as long as he's advising Nadella, Xbox isn't going anywhere. If Nadella/Gates are a failure, only then is the Xbox division at risk. And it seems unlikely -- MS is poised for a huge 2015 with Windows 9 going back to its roots.

I haven't missed that part, but I don't agree with your premise of Gates being entirely against cutting it off. Times change and if the numbers aren't there to support a vision of a viable enough future for their console business, I can't really see him standing in the way.

Having said that, I don't think it'll be likely that the Xbone will do THAT bad.

wapplew

Anyone is better than Steve Ballmer.
I hope the first thing the new CEO do is get rid of current PR team.
Change that Murica businessman image asap.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
"Ruthlessly remove obstacles... focus on things Microsoft can uniquely do."

Want to bump shares up? Sell or shut down Bing. It's a money pit. It's losing massive amounts of money. It hasn't broke through strategically. What market share it has is bought, paid for, and not loyal. And no one outside Microsoft seems to understand any kind of synergy or whatever that it's supposedly offering.

Occam

Sounds like a good plan to put an experienced and succcessful manager like Elop in charge of the Xbox division which he reportedly wanted to close down. What could go wrong?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I hate to make light of the ethnicity, but it's yet another benchmark of our increasingly smaller, globalized world. Sign of the times.

Gannd

Banned
"Ruthlessly remove obstacles... focus on things Microsoft can uniquely do."

Want to bump shares up? Sell or shut down Bing. It's a money pit. It's losing massive amounts of money. It hasn't broke through strategically. What market share it has is bought, paid for, and not loyal. And no one outside Microsoft seems to understand any kind of synergy or whatever that it's supposedly offering.

We could say the same thing about Xbox. :)

watership

Nokia was sinking well before Elop came on board.

Shhh it's all Elops fault. :)

Take a look at Nokia phones before and after Elop took over. Some of the best made phone in the industry, regardless about the OS they ran. And although many thought they should have made android phone... look at the #2 Android phone manufacturer, HTC. Profits shrinking, in the red, and they make better quality phone hardware than Samsung. It was no guarantee of success.

Top Bottom