• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella is Microsoft's new CEO

gaming_noob

The correct name of the next Xbox is the Xbox Two.

Ohhh that's right because 4 sounds like 'shi' and 'shi' means death in Japan
KC7.jpg

CoG

All the ex-Microsoft people I work with are saying he's a terrible choice. They would have preferred an outsider like Elon Musk. A 22-year vet is just going to perpetuate the flat vision Gates and Balmer had.

Much rather have him than the Ford guy or Elop, lol. He seems really driven and vested in the company, and very forward thinking. Can't wait to see what he will do.

All the ex-Microsoft people I work with are saying he's a terrible choice. They would have preferred an outsider like Elon Musk. A 22-year vet is just going to perpetuate the flat vision Gates and Balmer had.

What were their reasons? Other than being casual racists.

SPDIF

How many ex-Microsoft people do you work with?

There's plenty of reasons why Elop wasn't the top candidate already if anything this PR would put him on the good grace of various shareholders wondering where their money went with Bing and Xbox.
Really it's more likely this was made to help him more than harm him.
And this is Elop we're talking about the guy who said all Non WP phones from Nokia are crap something like 7 to 8 months before Nokia would release a WP phone, him leaking that xbox is expandable harming his company's business wouldn't be a 1rst.

Not really,if so Satya Nadella won't be CEO,even it's not Elop,it will be someone from outside

Jarmel

Banned

Musk would have been an amazing pick but I doubt he wanted the job in the first place.

I give one up to Microsoft for being very diversed in their company. I'm actually really happy that and Indian guy is running Microsoft. Maybe he won't be as ruthless and salty running Microsoft the way that Balmer was and bring Microsoft back to true innovation instead of attacking other products that's successful to sell their own. I see this as nothing but good news. Great choice. I have so much faith in him to do a good job. I might just believe in Microsoft again.

Mael

Not really,if so Satya Nadella won't be CEO,even it's not Elop,it will be someone from outside

Read the story from Bloomberg, it doesn't paint him in a bad light at all, actually quite the opposite.
Also it's a pretty well known fact that these 2 divisions are not money makers for MSFT either, actually any company that isn't MSFT would have cut them aeons ago.

hwalker84

He doesn't look like he's from India to me. I'm going to need to see his parents to be certain. I've always thought he was asian.

Read the story from Bloomberg, it doesn't paint him in a bad light at all, actually quite the opposite.
Also it's a pretty well known fact that these 2 divisions are not money makers for MSFT either, actually any company that isn't MSFT would have cut them aeons ago.

Wouldn't they need to cut tablets aswell then?

I feel MS inserts itself into these markets by brute force and stacks of cash. It makes sense to stop doing that as it usually doesn't work.

So happy to hear this. I love the welcoming videos from Bill and Steve. :)))
It really sounds like Microsoft is going to tackle their challenges now and go forward. So excited for what this means regarding Windows, Windows Phone, Surface, Office and Xbox.

McHuj

I would have preferred an outsider because I have a hard time believing someone like Ballmer would have a direct report who didn't share his views of the company and a vision of it's future.

Now, this guy may make better choices for Microsoft, but I don't expect radical changes or a bunch of new innovation. Given his background in servers and cloud, I think he'll push MS more in the software as a service/subscription.

Linkified

I think Microsoft got the right CEO, maybe not for their consumer business, but for the enterprise

In that video Satya kept mentioning the words "Fun" and "Play" that is not really all important for enterprise. He ain't killing consumer business which is good.

Mael

Wouldn't they need to cut tablets aswell then?

I feel MS inserts itself into these markets by brute force and stacks of cash. It makes sense to stop doing that as it usually doesn't work.

Regular PC is in freefall and being replaced by tablets, their moneymakers are stuffs you put on regular PC.
It's a direct threat to the jugular for MSFT.
It is vastly more important for MSFT that business and people at large keep using Windows and Office than gamers get their fix through xbox or anything really.
It's not that they lose opportunity cost if they stop their foray into tablet market, it's that there is a big risk that they'll be king of a hill where there's no profit anymore.

People already use less PC (and as such MSFT products) to do regular browsing and other stuffs done with computers, there's already little point for the average customer to consider a PC nowadays instead of a much cheaper alternative.
Since MSFT isn't present on the devices people buy what happens when you have your customers not used to pay for the service you provide (the OS that is) ?

I understand from a shareholder's perspective why Bing should go, but do you guys really want a websearch industry with no proper alternative to Google?

watership

#2 is Sony now, and they've been growing & doing well in their mobile division in the past few years after they cut off Ericsson from the mix.

HTC has a lot of drama, and internal problems that contributed to its fall-from-grace. It's not as simple as it looks.

Last report on Android market share was Nov 2013 and still showed HTC in #2 spot. Do you have an update source?

Mael

I understand from a shareholder's perspective why Bing should go, but do you guys really want a websearch industry with no proper alternative to Google?

Is there a difference between an industry with or without Bing?
If you don't use a Ws 8 or an xbox you already don't even know what Bing is anyway.

"Ex Microsoft" seems to speak volumes here.

What's your point? Plenty of people change companies these days, MSFT isn't a Japanese company.
Heck even Google lose and win people over time.

jond76

Banned

Regular PC is in freefall and being replaced by tablets, their moneymakers are stuffs you put on regular PC.
It's a direct threat to the jugular for MSFT.
It is vastly more important for MSFT that business and people at large keep using Windows and Office than gamers get their fix through xbox or anything really.
It's not that they lose opportunity cost if they stop their foray into tablet market, it's that there is a big risk that they'll be king of a hill where there's no profit anymore.

That's true but people will alaways need 'real' computers for work.
I can't imagine that people will use tablets for work.
That's their biggest market and a gimmicky arm tablet that runs a gimpes OS that nobpdy asked for isn't helping.

CoG

What were their reasons? Other than being casual racists.

What the hell is wrong with you puling the race card? Their reasons are they don't want someone who has been soaking in the Microsoft toxic culture for 22-years to run the show. Most left because the place is a mess organizationally and politically. They wanted someone with a fresh perspective from elsewhere in the industry.

How many ex-Microsoft people do you work with?

Dozens. In my direct circle, my boss is ex-MS as is his boss. The two people I work with closest as ex-MS as well as a few members of their team.

Plus at my last company my CTO was ex-MS and well as most of his directs.

Yeah it does. There's a glut of ex-MS people out there which speaks volumes to their attrition rate.

What the hell is wrong with you puling the race card? Their reasons are they don't want someone who has been soaking in the Microsoft toxic culture for 22-years to run the show. Most left because the place is a mess organizationally and politically. They wanted someone with a fresh perspective from elsewhere in the industry.

Dozens. In my direct circle, my boss is ex-MS as is his boss. The two people I work with closest as ex-MS as well as a few members of their team.

Plus at my last company my CTO was ex-MS and well as most of his directs.

Yeah it does. There's a glut of ex-MS people out there which speaks volumes to their attrition rate.

Thank you, I'm ignorant to the reasons so just wanted to know more.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

Ballmer had no vision because he was a sales guy. Nadella is an engineer like Gates was, he has a history of creating and a history of building products that try to do something unique.

I can't forsee him wanting to sit on his laurels. Whether or not what he creates will be any good, that's another story, but this wont be another Ballmer.

Mael

About the ex-MSFT, Valve was made by an ex MSFT guy so...yeah

That's true but people will alaways need 'real' computers for work.
I can't imagine that people will use tablets for work.
That's their biggest market and a gimmicky arm tablet that runs a gimpes OS that nobpdy asked for isn't helping.

It's classic disruption, it starts with a crappy product for crappy customers and next thing you know the crappy product is not so crappy anymore and the old product is this bloated mess no one want that cost twice the price of the 'crappy' product.
Real computers are on the way out and unless things change dramatically console are on the way out too.

Zyae

I love how everyone has already judged his impact and performance, a whole one day into it. Give the guy some time

Mael

I love how everyone has already judged his impact and performance, a whole one day into it.

Where?
I see plenty of people congratulating Nadella and being sceptical of Elop...who's track record isn't exactly stellar.

CoG

Ballmer had no vision because he was a sales guy. Nadella is an engineer like Gates was, he has a history of creating and a history of building products that try to do something unique.

I can't forsee him wanting to sit on his laurels. Whether or not what he creates will be any good, that's another story, but this wont be another Ballmer.

Gates revolutionized the industry by figuring out how to monetize software. Besides that he really lacks vision. How long ago did Microsoft release tablets (Gates' vision) and they stagnated from a decade where Apple took over the tablet industry overnight?

Plus Bill is a real bastard wrt to business. He's a brilliant philanthropist but at a professional level he's a ruthless guy who will do whatever it takes not to "lose" if it takes throw people under the bus or crushing competitors by any needs necessary.

Fox Mulder

I think Bing is a good product. It's a solid search engine, does some things better than google actually, and has like 30% of market share if you add in yahoo's numbers with it. It's just that Google is so established that everyone uses it instead right now.

I'd hate to see companies surrender to google just because they're so entrenched right now. Google has done dumb shit recently with google+ and youtube changes, which has made the lack of real alternatives more apparent.

Top Bottom