• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Classic - Launch Trailer

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I remember Far Cry being such a big deal for the PC tech crowd. Multi-page spreads in magazines detailing the rendering technology implemented in CryEngine; the physics, normal mapping, shadows/lighting, believable jungles, etc.

jet1911

I remember Far Cry being such a big deal for the PC tech crowd. Multi-page spreads in magazines detailing the rendering technology implemented in CryEngine; the physics, normal mapping, shadows/lighting, believable jungles, etc.

I still remember playing the demo over and over again. It was great.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
One thing with the first Far Cry that I remember was the AI outside being fairly smart. Plus how it would realistically assume you are still in certain locations where shots came from and try get you out of there either by flanking or just saturating the area with lead. Though it seems the AI was not as well made or tailored for indoors with how stupid they became inside.

SJRB

Gold Member
Never liked the first one, it was okay until the monsters came into play.

I have to say this sudden push of everything Far Cry-related is interesting, I wonder what Ubisoft is up to. Far Cry 4 reveal at E3, I guess.

Ubersnug

Are all the games on disk or are the classic farcry and blood dragon games only downloadable via codes? If the former, then I might pick this up...

Mr Swine

Banned
AMDs 3Dc normal mapping compression was fantastic in that update. To bad it never cougt on :(

Also isn't the first game made by cry tech and not ubisofr?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
It looks like I remember it looking.

That's what I thought upon first click.

They briefly showcased that "tunnel of death" that nearly made me give up on the game. A corridor inside a facility, with almost no cover and 15-20 heavily armed soldiers wielding rocket launchers and grenades scattered along the length of it. I had to employ every known glitch and abused the gaps in the AI in order to beat the damn thing. It will not be missed. Still, the first 2/3rds of the game was sublime. Open-ended level design like none other. Crysis doesn't hold a candle to this.

RetroStu

Banned
I remember playing this on PC when it first came out and entering that big ship wreck early on and seeing the rust textures on the walls on pipes and being completely blown away!.
Its still a decent looking game as well as this trailer shows.

On a side note as well, the 360 got a port of the crappy 'Fra Cry Instincts' early on and not a port of the orig Far Cry because the developers couldn't get the PC game running on the 360 (at that time). People need to remember that and that the 360/PS3 were not these all powerful PC killing consoles at launch and hate on the X1/PS4 because good PC's can run games as good or better at launch and call them underpowered, the X1/PS4 are just 3 years late, they are not underpowered.

It looks strange....

Is it the lighting ?

I remember that game looking far better on PC and outdoor levels were more bright with more sun ?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Bring it to PS4 or XBO and I would bite. Otherwise sticking with my PC version. Fantastic game though aside from the one hit monsters.

Moff

great game, still the best far cry.
at the time it was an incredible experience to be able to tackle groups/camps of enemies in so many different ways. tag the enemies first, look at the available eqipment, make a plan end then just run in shooting, use a jeep with a mounted gun, a mortar from far aways, a sniper from a hill/tower or stealth or combine some of those, endless possibilities.

and unlike the terribly boring far cry 3 island, it still had actual level design implemented with surprisingly high variety in gameplay.

TheMan

has anyone played this recently? if so, does the gameplay hold up? when this came out back in the day, i remember most of the praise being directed at the graphics and how good the foliage looked.

It looks strange....

Is it the lighting ?

I remember that game looking far better on PC and outdoor levels were more bright with more sun ?

Not really, as far as I can tell.

has anyone played this recently? if so, does the gameplay hold up? when this came out back in the day, i remember most of the praise being directed at the graphics and how good the foliage looked.

I played it a few years ago, it's still a great game with some bullshit parts (although I played it on Hard, and only later found out that practically everyone recommended playing it on Easy).

cameron

I remember the PC version bringing the awesome 9700 Pro to its knees.

The difficulty jump on latter half of the game brought me to my knees.

SJRB

Gold Member
Far Cry 2 was the only good Far Cry game.

Why is that? Far Cry 2 was amazing in concept but terribly flawed in execution. Somewhere along the development line something went terribly wrong.

Unless of course there are mods out there that fix everything I don't see how FC2 is better than Far Cry 3.

sunnz

Defiantly agree.

Such great additions to it. Map system, weapon degradation, heath system, the location, economy, ways you could spend your money [diamonds] on weapon upgrade, fun MP and actually felt like a sandbox game.

Nothing felt more intense than running out of ammo and picking up a used gun only for it to explode in your hand, made each firefight feel unique basically. Would have been great if the weapons also exploded when enemies were using them.

The re spawning camps were annoying but nothing to bad, the constant enemy vehicles coming after you though was annoying.

AS 50 and the GL, so good.

FC3 basically lost all that made FC2 so special to me and is the definition of taking the easy route ( as in making an easier game for the masses) It happens, sadly.

RetroStu

Banned

I must admit that ruuning around enemies in the long grass and setting fire to it and watching enemies burn is some of the funnies and best gameplay i have had this gen (that sounds a bit dodgy doesn't it lol) BUT the respawning checkpoints killed the game overall for me.

Ocaso

Why is that? Far Cry 2 was amazing in concept but terribly flawed in execution. Somewhere along the development line something went terribly wrong.

Unless of course there are mods out there that fix everything I don't see how FC2 is better than Far Cry 3.

Haven't played 3, but agree that 2 was terribly flawed. It was impressive in scope and intention, but succumbed to repetition and drudgery, not to mention that, like most sandbox games, it became a tedious commute simulator.

Looks great, love me open-ended shooters so I'm definitely on board for this. Is it out this week? Damn, I've got to play this and Left Behind.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
On a side note as well, the 360 got a port of the crappy 'Fra Cry Instincts' early on and not a port of the orig Far Cry because the developers couldn't get the PC game running on the 360 (at that time). People need to remember that and that the 360/PS3 were not these all powerful PC killing consoles at launch and hate on the X1/PS4 because good PC's can run games as good or better at launch and call them underpowered, the X1/PS4 are just 3 years late, they are not underpowered.

The X360 had better a better CPU than what Intel and AMD were offering in the desktop space at the time and its GPU was bested only by multi-GPU setups. The issue, I presume, wasn't processing power but rather memory -- 512MB across the entire system was on the low side, even for late 2005.

Jb

This, Half Life 2 and Doom 3 were the 3 huge PC exclusive FPS that were pushing what games could do in terms of physics and lighting.
At the time, I think I ended up enjoying Far Cry the most, despite the mutants.

This, Half Life 2 and Doom 3 were the 3 huge PC exclusive FPS that were pushing what games could do in terms of physics and lighting.
At the time, I think I ended up enjoying Far Cry the most, despite the mutants.

Yes all released in 2004, followed by F.E.A.R. the next year (2005). It seemed like that period was setting to become the FPS golden year(s) of the 2000s at least tech-wise, but it didn't last long. By the time Crysis was released it had already been over.

GHG

Gold Member
Wait this is coming to the PC as well?

What are the differences between this and the original PC release?

UnrealEck

Looks like people are still sore from the introduction of the mutants (Trigens) in the original. Can't believe you're calling it a bad game though. It's probably one of my favourite singleplayer FPSes.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Defiantly agree.

Such great additions to it. Map system, weapon degradation, heath system, the location, economy, ways you could spend your money [diamonds] on weapon upgrade, fun MP and actually felt like a sandbox game.

Nothing felt more intense than running out of ammo and picking up a used gun only for it to explode in your hand, made each firefight feel unique basically. Would have been great if the weapons also exploded when enemies were using them.

The re spawning camps were annoying but nothing to bad, the constant enemy vehicles coming after you though was annoying.

AS 50 and the GL, so good.

FC3 basically lost all that made FC2 so special to me and is the definition of taking the easy route ( as in making an easier game for the masses) It happens, sadly.

Also, the buddy system. Call it cliche, but I really did develop an attachment for my buddies, especially the ones who'd bail out my ass out of a desperate situation, and I'd get torn up whenever one of them died in the field.

Yeah, FC2 was incredible, magically respawning outposts and over-eager vehicle patrols notwithstanding. FC3 with mod compilations is also quite a good experience, at least in free roam; even though it got rid of a lot of what made FC2 unique, some of its features (interactive wildlife, actual stealth mechanics) are big improvements to the formula.

derExperte

I think it looks better in the video than the original, when I recently saw screenshots it aged worse than I thought. But maybe there are mods to make it look better. And the first time you emerge from the cave at the beginning will forever be one of my favorite gaming moments, looked insane back then.

Also, the buddy system. Call it cliche, but I really did develop an attachment for my buddies, especially the ones who'd bail out my ass out of a desperate situation, and I'd get torn up whenever one of them died in the field.

The buddie thing was one of countless aspects that sounded good in theory but didn't work at all and together completely ruined FC2 for me. They were nothing more than extra lifes, totally expendable with a limitless supply, I stopped getting attached to anyone after I realized this. And almost everything in 2 is like that, paper thin. Haven't played 3 yet.

Here's the original PC game at max settings (I imagine some nice mods came out afterwards). This is what it looked like when I originally played it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrrcxcJgWY4#t=1m40s

Classic actually looks pretty similar, although I agree a little less bright. I'll wait for some impressions, but if it plays spot on, I'm down. Game was fantastic - and had some crazy awesome music no one ever mentions.

iidesuyo

Loved that game. That was early 2004, over 18 months before the 360 saw the light of the day!

Had to play it in 800x600 at medium settings, it was still impressive and fun.

Top Bottom