• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, eggs totally gross me out. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

The title pretty much says it all. I love delicious foods. I consider myself a pretty adventurous eater. I really cannot get past mushrooms though, for one. The texture is just unpleasant to me. I used to like onions but now I find them too unctous in flavor.

Eggs are the big issue for me, though. I used to be weirded out by undercooked scrambled eggs as a kid. I would really like baked goods with eggy flavor, though, like French Toast or Challah. For a long time I was eating eggs as a
semi-
adult, but now they weird me out again. I went vegetarian for a while, then vegan briefly and am now back on the omnivore train for about a year now. It's something conceptual and textural about eggs that wigs me out. I have this moment where I'm like, what the heck am I actually *eating* right now? I was eating runny eggs for a while and they didn't make me feel great to eat, and I don't really like the flavor of them, so I stopped that. Then I was good with scrambled or an omelet, and now even that weirds me out.

Anyone else have this issue? I'd really like to get over it because eggs are cheap and healthy. Help me, OT GAF!

NinjaBoiX

Mushrooms are so vile man. The texture, the taste, the way it feels like a bit of soft rubber as you bite into it, those disgusting looking gills under the cap, urgh, everything about them.

And that's before you consider that they are the spawn of decomposition. You're eating fungus.

Pretty much the only thing I simply cannot eat without throwing up.

Edit: sorry, on topic:

Try a Spanish omelette with plenty of chorizo and peppers. Yum!

I find it strange that you consider yourself an adventurous eater when you don't like eggs, mushrooms or onions.

Anyway, try more flavorful omelets. Herbs, meats, etc.

Tesseract

Banned
eggs and mushrooms and mayonnaise is what hell is made of, among other lesser elements like iridium and argon.

let me emphasize is, because that shit is blended.

Aesius

I just had a large breakfast of coffee, scrambled eggs (perfectly cooked), and 4 pieces of bacon.

I feel like a fucking champion.

Sorry OP.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
hard%2Bboiled%2Begg.jpg

scrambled-eggs.jpg

eggs.jpg

Exposure therapy. I finally learned to really enjoy mushrooms by having them on a pepperoni pizza. Try that. If you don't like eggs and onions though, god help you. I agree it doesn't seem very adventurous to have such an aversion to foods that are staples of most cuisines (or I guess it seems like it would make it difficult to be very adventurous).

DJ_Lae

Can you eat them as in a fried rice or something? The become less of a focus that way and just sort of blend in.

Same when you scramble them and drop them into ramen or other soup as it boils.

I'm trying to think of other things but I generally eat them scrambled, sunny side up (and runny as shit) or hard boiled. I love me some eggs (and mushrooms, and onions, which are the stuff of awesomeness).

Silkworm

So I guess trying this dish is out of the question then:

Soft Boiled Eggs with Mushrooms

I've made something similar to this and it was very satisfying. I love eggs (scrambled, hard boiled, soft boiled, in an omelet, etc) and mushrooms.

Maybe you should look into eating hard boiled eggs. Texture wise I don't think you'd have anything to get disgusted by. Also maybe you could try deviled eggs.

Mushrooms are super nutritious. They're full of b vitamins and are supposed to bolster your immune system. Just force yourself to eat stuff until it becomes palatable.

For eggs just slice up some hardboiled eggs and toss it in a lettuce salad or something, that way you're not just eating straight eggs and you can use salad dressing to mask the taste.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Try to fry your eggs. I hate runny eggs too, theres just something very unpleasant about them. If you fry your eggs into a patty shape and put it between some buttered English Muffins, maybe add some seasoning or cheese or whatever have you, it's really tasty.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I used to hate overeasy eggs with runny yolks when I was a kid. I love it now. It's an acquired taste for me.

maxcriden

Can you eat them as in a fried rice or something? The become less of a focus that way and just sort of blend in.

Same when you scramble them and drop them into ramen or other soup as it boils.

I'm trying to think of other things but I generally eat them scrambled, sunny side up (and runny as shit) or hard boiled. I love me some eggs (and mushrooms, and onions, which are the stuff of awesomeness).

I can definitely tolerate them in fried rice or singapore noodles, or something like that. Definitely not in like, egg drop soup though.

rexor0717

I find eggs to be really unappealing too, except for when I get them from one restaurant. I don't know why I like their eggs, but I do.

OP I had the very same problem as you, with eggs mushrooms and onions. And now I love all of them, mostly anyway.

When I started working out and needed a source of protein, I really wanted to start eating omelettes. Like you I still can't stand eggs much but I can eat an omelette no problem now.

Firstly, I would start by cooking one and just leaving it or just playing with it on the plate and then chucking it away. Then a few days later I'd cook another one but put some HP sauce on it and just tried a little. Then a little bit more and so on. Eventually I got used to cooking them, the smell, texture etc all the time, most mornings to the point where I'd miss one if I didn't make one. I still can't stand the look of egg sandwiches or egg anything else for that matter.

Had the same problems with mushrooms and bananas too. I just had a bit until I got used to it and I really like them now.

Not tomatoes though. Fuck tomatoes.

I find it strange that you consider yourself an adventurous eater when you don't like eggs, mushrooms or onions.

Anyway, try more flavorful omelets. Herbs, meats, etc.
This would actually make a great omlette. Add some garlic, sage or parsley and finish it off under the grill for a nice puffy top. You got a great 10 minute supper.

You're missing out OP, there's a million ways to cook eggs if you don't like one specific texture - and mushrooms shouldn't be spongey, if they are it means they're old or water logged (you should never wash mushrooms they soak up the water, just brush them with a clean towel or kitchen paper) or you're steaming them in their own juices instead of frying them which means you don't have the heat high enough, you want to hear sizzling.

Not tomatoes though. Fuck tomatoes.
Add salt.

Jaeyden

The best way to teach yourself to enjoy a food is to starve yourself until you can't stand it any more. Then eat said food that you so irrationally fear. Trust me, it will taste like fucking heaven.

G.ZZZ

The title pretty much says it all. I love delicious foods. I consider myself a pretty adventurous eater. I really cannot get past mushrooms though, for one. The texture is just unpleasant to me. I used to like onions but now I find them too unctous in flavor.

Eggs are the big issue for me, though.
I used to be weirded out by undercooked scrambled eggs as a kid. I would really like baked goods with eggy flavor, though, like French Toast or Challah. For a long time I was eating eggs as a
semi-
adult, but now they weird me out again. I went vegetarian for a while, then vegan briefly and am now back on the omnivore train for about a year now. It's something conceptual and textural about eggs that wigs me out. I have this moment where I'm like, what the heck am I actually *eating* right now? I was eating runny eggs for a while and they didn't make me feel great to eat, and I don't really like the flavor of them, so I stopped that. Then I was good with scrambled or an omelet, and now even that weirds me out.

Anyone else have this issue? I'd really like to get over it because eggs are cheap and healthy. Help me, OT GAF!

What the fuck man. What do you eat adventurously, pasta? Like, you eat pizza while you hang yourself from a tree with one hand?

As for eggs, try carbonara.

Eggs are fantastic. Except runny eggs. People who like runny scrambled eggs are bad people. Every time I see that video of Gordon Ramsey on how to make "perfect eggs" I just want to punch him in the face. Small, runny curds is not good. I'd take a raw eggs Rocky-style before I have undercooked Gordon Ramsey eggs. And I have, nothing wrong with knocking down a raw egg every now and then.

I'll agree with you on mushrooms though, vile things they are. Its like eating a piece of foam rubber or something.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Eggs are fantastic. Except runny eggs. People who like runny scrambled eggs are bad people. Every time I see that video of Gordon Ramsey on how to make "perfect eggs" I just want to punch him in the face. Small, runny curds is not good. I'd take a raw eggs Rocky-style before I have undercooked Gordon Ramsey eggs. And I have, nothing wrong with knocking down a raw egg every now and then.

I'll agree with you on mushrooms though, vile things they are. Its like eating a piece of foam rubber or something.

The thing is, Ramsay's eggs are not "undercooked" they are how you're supposed to make scrambled eggs. Scrambled eggs should be more like a custard, most people just overcook the shit out of them until they taste like rubber.

Those Ramsey eggs are completely cooked, if you go by the proper temperature. They are just not given the chance to coagulate and harden. I make them all the time, they are delicious and a huge hit with everyone I've served them to.

maxcriden

What the fuck man. What do you eat adventurously, pasta? Like, you eat pizza while you hang yourself from a tree with one hand?

As for eggs, try carbonara.

No need to be a dick, dude. I eat tons of kinds of food. Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, African, French Canadian, Indian...all kinds of stuff. I would say I'm pretty adventurous. There are no foods you don't like?

nullset2

Yo OP, make some fuckin' omelets with cheese. BOO-YAH, your problem is solved. Delicious as hell.

Try omelet rice soon, too! One of the most pleasant "new" cooking experiences I've had lately.

CrankyJay

Banned

I've made something similar to this and it was very satisfying. I love eggs (scrambled, hard boiled, soft boiled, in an omelet, etc) and mushrooms.

Maybe you should look into eating hard boiled eggs. Texture wise I don't think you'd have anything to get disgusted by. Also maybe you could try deviled eggs.

these look amazing

The thing is, Ramsay's eggs are not "undercooked" they are how you're supposed to make scrambled eggs. Scrambled eggs should be more like a custard, most people just overcook the shit out of them until they taste like rubber.

Those Ramsey eggs are completely cooked, if you go by the proper temperature. They are just not given the chance to coagulate and harden. I make them all the time, they are delicious and a huge hit with everyone I've served them to.

Like I said, bad people.

entremet

Runny eggs are the best eggs.

I don't want to eat rubber.

Also Ramsay's eggs are just French style scrambled eggs. The French being the codifiers of fine restaurant cuisine, knew their shit.

jax

Banned
Don't eat eggs. They are disgusting. Chickens only have one hole for shitting and laying eggs. You're basically eating chicken poop, only it's worse because you're really eating a tiny chicken embryo. Eggs aren't even good for you, they cause high cholesterol.

Eat Tofu instead. It's better for you.

entremet

Don't eat eggs. They are disgusting. Chickens only have one hole for shitting and laying eggs. You're basically eating chicken poop, only it's worse because you're really eating a tiny chicken embryo. Eggs aren't even good for you, they cause high cholesterol.

Eat Tofu instead. It's better for you.

This is BS. Almost every sentence.

Egg yolks are amongst the most nutrient dense foods on the planet, way better than fermented bean curd.

Moppeh

Banned
My father once told me that you need to consume your fears to overcome them. Luckily for you, this fear is something that is traditionally eaten. When he forced me to barbecue a bee, I wasn't as lucky.

You could also fill a swimming pool with raw yolks and swim with them until your body becomes half egg, half man in an effort to adapt. That might not make you want to eat eggs, but you will probably be cooler with them.

Heck, I dunno.

Omg...I need this.

One of the most unpleasant eating experiences you can have is making an omlette and biting into a crunchy, spiky shard of shell. Absolutely disgusting. That said, I do like eggs. I have to be in the right mood though.

Aiustis

As a kid I loved eggs especially poached and boiled. One day about 3 years ago, as I was eating an egg, I realized that I didn't like eggs anymore. There are foods I abolutely don't like but will just suck it up and eat. Like carrots in any form or cooked vegetables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom