• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

aristotle

Hopefully there are more impressions soon. I have no inclination to get an xbone, but I will purchase this on PC if it's good enough. The youtube videos haven't really sold me yet unfortunately.

I hope a code arrives in my inbox soon :)

Keep the impressions coming!

Milennia

ok just got in... now to wait for the download (xbox one).

going to be playing all night every night until the beta ends.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
  • movement reminds me a bit of warframe but way more extreme and more precise (most of the time at least)

that sounds awesome. I am curious to what types of things you can pull of with wall and double jumping, let alone other mechanics.

Eusis

Wonder if they'll send new codes out daily? If so then I probably don't need to worry.

And I wonder how it'll run on a 560 Ti. I'm expecting OK just because it's a source engine and aiming for 60 FPS on XB1, but still.

Wonder if they'll send new codes out daily? If so then I probably don't need to worry.

And I wonder how it'll run on a 560 Ti. I'm expecting OK just because it's a source engine and aiming for 60 FPS on XB1, but still.

Vince said on Twitter that codes will be emailed over the next few days, but I know people want in as early as possible.

I also didn't get a code ;_;

grkazan12

Updated to latest Nvidia drivers for my 570, but the game was still running at a terrible. But recommended settings got me a steady 60 frames. I'm not sure how graphically intensive it is, but shouldn't a 570 be able to handle Titanfall?

Besides graphical problems, I am having an absolute blast with the game. It's super fun.

Eusis

Updated to latest Nvidia drivers for my 570, but the game was still running at a terrible. But recommended settings got me a steady 60 frames. I'm not sure how graphically intensive it is, but shouldn't a 570 be able to handle Titanfall?

Besides graphical problems, I am having an absolute blast with the game. It's super fun.
Maybe it just throws some fancy effects on for those with really high end rigs, but for everyone without the latest and hottest most of the stuff works just fine and can easily hit high FPSes?

besada

Banned
Got an XB1 beta code. I played the various different modes, with the various different load outs and ranked up to level five.

So, general impressions are that it is a blast. One of the fastest moving FPS games I've played in a long time. The wall running and double-jumping is a lot of fun. You can chain wall runs and jumps together to traverse long distances in a short period of time, which is why the play is so fast. On foot it is very run and gun. The interior environments are like warrens, with lots of tight, dangerous spaces and fighting inside is brutal and fast.

And then your Titan lands.

And it' s like someone pasted a huge "Come get some!" banner above your head, because almost immediately, you're fighting other Titans. A flurry of machine gun fire, missile barrages, and Titan punches are flying your way. You're dashing left and right, strafing around the other Titan, blocking with your mag field, firing until you're out of ammo, and then punching him in the head. Finally, if you've done well, you rip his pilot's body from the cockpit and toss him into a wall.

I played for an hour and a half and when I done I was all sweaty and amped up. Good stuff.

Riptwo

I've been missing this game since PAX, so I'm all kinds of happy to be playing again. That being said, it's running terribly on my 2600K + 2x 560Ti in SLI. Seems like I'm getting <30FPS at times, so I'm wondering if SLI isn't functioning properly or if my rig is just too old to play the game decently. Also, are the textures still scaled back like in the alpha build or is that just my rig being awful as well?

For now, I've only played Attrition.

The movement is awesome, finding higher ground and assessing the battlefield is a great feature. The speed is awesome, and everything happens precisely and with a great feel of control.

The combat is also fun, it can get a little bit hard trying to remember that around every corner another pilot can take you out amid all of the grunts.

The Titans are incredible, the gameplay loop that basically makes you work as hard as you can to earn back your Titan is very satisfying. It's all Titan focused, keep alive and play smart so you can get your Titan first.

The presentation is nice, but I think it could definitely improve from some cleaner textures in some areas, as well as a resolution bump to increase clarity. Also, there are some major framerate drops that I expect will be improved in the final release.

Overall, very impressive! I'm glad I got to try this out, and it's certainly justified my pre-order when I think about all the maps, perks, and unlocks waiting in the final game.

Montresor

Got an XB1 beta code. I played the various different modes, with the various different load outs and ranked up to level five.

So, general impressions are that it is a blast. One of the fastest moving FPS games I've played in a long time. The wall running and double-jumping is a lot of fun. You can chain wall runs and jumps together to traverse long distances in a short period of time, which is why the play is so fast. On foot it is very run and gun. The interior environments are like warrens, with lots of tight, dangerous spaces and fighting inside is brutal and fast.

And then your Titan lands.

And it' s like someone pasted a huge "Come get some!" banner above your head, because almost immediately, you're fighting other Titans. A flurry of machine gun fire, missile barrages, and Titan punches are flying your way. You're dashing left and right, strafing around the other Titan, blocking with your mag field, firing until you're out of ammo, and then punching him in the head. Finally, if you've done well, you rip his pilot's body from the cockpit and toss him into a wall.

I played for an hour and a half and when I done I was all sweaty and amped up. Good stuff.

Amazing impressions besada, wow. Makes me excited... that pretty much sold me on getting this game day 1. I still would like to try it out for myself before it comes out though.

antitrop

I've been missing this game since PAX, so I'm all kinds of happy to be playing again. That being said, it's running terribly on my 2600K + 2x 560Ti in SLI. Seems like I'm getting <30FPS at times, so I'm wondering if SLI isn't functioning properly or if my rig is just too old to play the game decently. Also, are the textures still scaled back like in the alpha build or is that just my rig being awful as well?
I have a GTX 590 and I'm getting poor performance. Hoping it's an SLI thing.

HelloMeow

I was getting some weird performance issues/freezes the first time I played it, but after a reboot everything was super smooth. (gtx 770)

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Why didn't I win in the photoshop contest you had earlier? I thought I did a good job

Here was my entry:

QP2veRm.gif

I thought I was definitely going to win :(

Oh. My. God.

I totally missed this one. Which do you want, X1 or PC?

besada

Banned
Amazing impressions besada, wow. Makes me excited... that pretty much sold me on getting this game day 1. I still would like to try it out for myself before it comes out though.
My favorite moment so far was a Titan fight with a guy who knew how to dodge. We kept firing missiles and rockets at each other, dodging out of the way, capturing stuff in the vortex field, dodging out of the way, until we both ran out of ammo at the same time and just started to punch the hell out of each other. The fight seemed to last forever, until I finally ripped the pilot out and hurled his broken body into a tree.

Then punched out of my Titan because it was seconds from exploding.

RoKKeR

First game back after a few hours break.

Still fucking awesome, god damn. This game is different, I love it. Hits a perfect niche of fast and frantic infantry combat, parkour, awesome mech combat, pilot/titan dynamics, the whole thing is really something else.

The hype is real.

HelloMeow

My favorite moment so far was a Titan fight with a guy who knew how to dodge. We kept firing missiles and rockets at each other, dodging out of the way, capturing stuff in the vortex field, dodging out of the way, until we both ran out of ammo at the same time and just started to punch the hell out of each other. The fight seemed to last forever, until I finally ripped the pilot out and hurled his broken body into a tree.

Then punched out of my Titan because it was seconds from exploding.

That sounds super familiar. Maybe that was me. Was this about 1.5 hours ago?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit dude. I just played hot potato with two other guys. I shot one guy and he caught the bullets and shot them back and then I caught them and in that time another guy ran in front of him and then caught my bullets. I can't believe it.

I'm gonna try my next game with a Dualshock4.

Randam

How large is the pc beta?
Got my key, I signed up for with my almost 4 year old origin account, I didn't even know I had and that has no games on it, to night.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How large is the pc beta?
Got my key, I signed up for with my almost 4 year old origin account, I didn't even know I had and that has no games on it, to night.

I think it was 13gigs.

660ti and getting 60fps with no drops. I had some framerate issues initally, but those went away when I turned off the in game vsync and forced it in the control panel.

reddmyst

I hope I get in. Been looking forward to Titanfall and I don't really mind the 12 players only thing as long as it's a blast.

RoKKeR

I hope I get in. Been looking forward to Titanfall and I don't really mind the 12 players only thing as long as it's a blast.

I have not once thought about the player count, it works. Takes some getting used to simply to learn the way matches flow, but it's a good number. Any more would be too messy/chaotic. It's crazy enough as is.

Lucreto

I am really bad at the game. I must be playing against Alpha players as I am doing the fast paced jumping and Boom I take a headshot with a sniper rifle. Happened at least once per match.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Battlefield 3's "tailed by opponent, run around corner, die, opponent's killcam shows lag kill" shit is here in full force for Australia, which for me means 150+ ping and no purchase at launch. Unacceptable. Drove me mental in Battlefield 3 and will do so here.

Otherwise the game seems okay. Really love the momentum and agility in movement. Climbing/wallrunning increases a map's play space in interesting ways, especially vertically. Hit feedback is very satisfying, it's fast, and it's easy to play. Controls are tight. Exactly what you'd expect from the original Call of Duty leads.

I can see exactly why reception from events and hands-on are always positive, and why I think it will be a huge hit. It's really, definitely based around immediate gratification and very little down time. The abundance of bots, very high damage output, and borderline non-existent weapon recoil and crosshair bloom means you'll be quickly mowing down opponents irrespective of how far away they are and what gun you're using. There's a sense that you're always part of the fight and 'doing something', and since bots are easy to drop you don't have that negative feedback loop in other multiplayer games where poor players are routinely fucked by a server full of better ones, unable to get a good couple of kills whenever they spawn.

But that does mean I'm not entirely confident it has a lot of staying power. I like Battlefield 4 for the big maps and diversity in equipment/tools/vehicles and what that means for tactical play. And I love Team Fortress 2 for fantastic class/weapon diversity and high health meaning entanglements require a bit longer, smarter play and use of your equipment than "squat, crosshair, shoot".

It's fun, but eh, we'll see. I think it's going to be hugely popular because it's got an instantly satisfying feedback loop of gameplay, is easy to play and control, and looks very clean and smooth. It's the kind of game people will pick up play one round and have a lot of fun, especially if they're familiar with Call of Duty, where the similarities are obvious yet built upon impressively thanks to shit like wall run and robots. Not sure it has the staying power for me, but I will play more of the beta. Regardless, won't be touching it at launch. If EA wants my money they'll need to set up local servers.

Looks like people's biggest issue is the bots. Everything else sounds really damn good. If you guys like the traversal aspect of this game, it makes me wonder once again why crysis 3 multi wasn't more popular. That game had riduclous speed, wall climbing, jumping, etc.

Anyway, really pumped to play the beta. Been playing bf4, and while it's great, I'm really getting sick of campy snipers.

Chuck

Still without luck
I applied at Respawn last year and never even got a call.

a PC beta code would ease the pain ;-;

Looks like people's biggest issue is the bots. Everything else sounds really damn good. If you guys like the traversal aspect of this game, it makes me wonder once again why crysis 3 multi wasn't more popular. That game had riduclous speed, wall climbing, jumping, etc.

Anyway, really pumped to play the beta. Been playing bf4, and while it's great, I'm really getting sick of campy snipers.

I was a really big fan of the original Crysis Wars multiplayer. When everyone has the suit powers it was great fun.

nib95

Banned
Battlefield 3's "tailed by opponent, run around corner, die, opponent's killcam shows lag kill" shit is here in full force for Australia, which for me means 150+ ping and no purchase at launch. Unacceptable. Drove me mental in Battlefield 3 and will do so here.

Otherwise the game seems okay. Really love the momentum and agility in movement. Climbing/wallrunning increases a map's play space in interesting ways, especially vertically. Hit feedback is very satisfying, it's fast, and it's easy to play. Controls are tight. Exactly what you'd expect from the original Call of Duty leads.

I can see exactly why reception from events and hands-on are always positive, and why I think it will be a huge hit. It's really, definitely based around immediate gratification and very little down time. The abundance of bots, very high damage output, and borderline non-existent weapon recoil and crosshair bloom means you'll be quickly mowing down opponents irrespective of how far away they are and what gun you're using. There's a sense that you're always part of the fight and 'doing something', and since bots are easy to drop you don't have that negative feedback loop in other multiplayer games where poor players are routinely fucked by a server full of better ones, unable to get a good couple of kills whenever they spawn.

But that does mean I'm not entirely confident it has a lot of staying power. I like Battlefield 4 for the big maps and diversity in equipment/tools/vehicles and what that means for tactical play. And I love Team Fortress 2 for fantastic class/weapon diversity and high health meaning entanglements require a bit longer, smarter play and use of your equipment than "squat, crosshair, shoot".

It's fun, but eh, we'll see. I think it's going to be hugely popular because it's got an instantly satisfying feedback loop of gameplay, is easy to play and control, and looks very clean and smooth. It's the kind of game people will pick up play one round and have a lot of fun, especially if they're familiar with Call of Duty, where the similarities are obvious yet built upon impressively thanks to shit like wall run and robots. Not sure it has the staying power for me, but I will play more of the beta. Regardless, won't be touching it at launch. If EA wants my money they'll need to set up local servers.

Thanks for the impressions dude. The above bolded part is as much as I suspected, and probably a reason why it won't be my long term go to online shooter, but I'll likely give it a pick up either way, depending on reviews and release impressions.

Hopefully more shooters this gen steer away from the instant gratification, mass auto aim, lack of recoil style shooting that is plaguing the genre right now. Hell even Battlefield and now Killzone (comparative to KZ2 BETA) are more COD'ified. More devs need to do away with auto aim altogether, and slow things down just a touch.

lem0n

It's amazing reading all these positive reactions. Makes the wait that much more painful. F5'ing that inbox like crazy

Enjoy, everyone!

Tucah

you speak so well
Just finished playing a couple of hours of the PC beta. I'm having an absolute blast. The game is fast, the movement is fun as fuck (running on walls, double jumping around and everything controls perfectly) and the gunplay is great. The Titans are fun but there are few things more satisfying than taking out a titan as a lone dude with a rocket launcher. I can't wait to play more of the beta and, in about a month, the full game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thanks for the impressions dude. The above bolded part is as much as I suspected, and probably a reason why it won't be my long term go to online shooter, but I'll likely give it a pick up either way, depending on reviews and release impressions.

I suspect there's a higher level metagame that'll become more obvious when I start unlocking and playing with more weapons and get a better feel for the game as a whole, but yeah. It's not the kind of game where you're sitting on top of a building watching bots down the end of the street and think "Man, I wish I didn't have this assault rifle, so I could easily hit them". Pull up the iron sights and go to town.

Also, as a side, the bots/player ratio is a non issue. It's clearly the point of the game; bot mooks and players in the mix. It's fine, it works, and despite tons of bots I never, not once, had a problem coming across and engaging with other players, and being hunted down and killed by other players. The ratio is fine for the size of the maps, which too is fine.

I was a really big fan of the original Crysis Wars multiplayer. When everyone has the suit powers it was great fun.

I've had this argument before, not gonna go there haha. But...titanfall. I Really hope me and a couple of my buddies get codes tomorrow. I have to work from home saturday but it probably won't be busy. Getting paid to play this game would be noice.

Got in from the thread. So far, I absolutely love it. The movement & parkour just feels so damn tight. In the training mission, just seconds after learning the ability, I was able to run around the inside wall of a hole & save myself from death. In combat, it's just ingenious. Hopping around from rooftop to rooftop is smooth & natural, and makes the on-foot combat feel unique. It's not just filler while you wait around for your Titan to drop - the on-foot combat is some of the most fun I've had in an FPS in years.
Which brings me to the gunplay. I haven't leveled up enough to try all five available weapons, but I'm quite satisfied with my present options. The standard assault rifle feels effective & has solid range - though the smart pistol really steals the show here. Having a gun that essentially removes the whole "precision shooting" bit from an FPS sounds like a disaster, but it's well balanced with the main game, and creates an interesting gameplay dynamic. Destroying an entire herd of grunts with a single pull of the trigger is hilariously satisfying. I didn't care for the shotgun very much, but I saw some people using it to great effect.
While the on-foot combat feels fast & fluid, the Titans control with an appropriate weight to their actions. They are lumbering giants of destruction, lethal from afar but increasingly vulnerable as you approach. The attack & defense abilities create a fun game of back-and-forth in Titan-on-Titan bouts. Catching missiles & bullets out of the air and tossing them back is over-the-top, and I'm very curious to see what else they'll cook up to keep the dynamic fresh.
Levels feel really different between your time in the Titan, and your time on foot. You can really see how everything was designed to be experienced on two different scales. In a group, I did hit some spots where several titans would clog up a narrow alleyway. Irritating, but it only occurred a small handful of times. The biggest issue I continued to have with the game (specifically the deathmatch mode) was too many Titans on the field at the same time. The timer concept is very clever, but it does result in everyone's first Titan popping out at around the same time. So for about the first five-six minutes, the balance is a bit off. The game is at its' peak with about a third of the potential Titans on patrol at any one time - and it usually hits that ratio later in a game. Not sure if the early Titan rush is something that should be addressed, or just a part of the design.
Of the three game modes, I mostly played Deathmatch (or "Attrition" as it is referred) - mainly because those were the most active servers - and enjoyed the action, though I felt more in control of my team's victory/loss in CTF & Last Titan Standing. The former is exactly what you expect from the mode, and it's a great experience. The speedy mobility of the soldiers, and the presence of capture points that are out of a Titan's reach - has potential for some really tense moments. LTS is a much slower game overall, and the no-respawn rule creates something more akin to a duel between tanks than a firefight. Every motion is calculated, and there's real strategy in deciding if you want to fight on foot, or ride your steed into battle.
Just with my last level up, I also came across something called "Burn Cards" which seem to be expendable power-ups that you can trigger after a re-spawn. Seems interesting, though it might put too many variables into the mix for the game's own good. I'm also refreshed knowing that Respawn has formally said the game will not contain microtransactions - since I could see this element being abused.
Overall, I'm very happy with what I'm seeing. This is a multiplayer game I could see myself playing for awhile, and I think I'm sold on the full release.

Top Bottom