• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

Red Comet

I'm pleasantly surprised to see the good things people are saying about this game. Admittedly I've only been vaguely paying attention to it up until this point, but the impression I was getting was negativity. A lot of that is probably simply because it's a PC/Xbone exclusive.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Titanfall%202014-02-13%2016-56-07-722.png
Need to get some wing mirrors on that thing.

Barzul

Unless that pistol has been buffed since the last time i played it, its not as good as you would think vs players. It doesn't 1-burst kill players like it does grunts(?). You'll more likely be killed by anyone who's looking at you in a 1v1 situation.

I agree. It makes farming bot so easy but it's not as effective vs other players.

Azsori

Ask promised to DKo5 for the key hookup...

The game runs well on my rig: Core i5 2500k, 8gb RAM, 760 GTX @ 1920x1080 max settings. Graphics are decent; not mind blowing but not a disappointment either.

The game is very accessible, more so than I thought, right up there with COD. In fact, I had the initial impression that the Titans would be an inaccessible kill streak bonus; but you do get a lot of Titan time. The AI is really not that great though, but hopefully that can be improved.

Pluses: Shooting, movement, balance. Games can be surprisingly close and so far they have a good match length. Shooting is nice, kills are not hard to obtain and the weapons feel tight with little kickback. I think they incorporated the double jump and wall crawl elements nicely; easy to learn but with lots of ceiling room for high skill. The drop ship retreat is a nice touch for match ends.

Minuses: Titan control is a bit tough, and I seem to lose them very quickly. Again, the AI of both the Titan and Grunts seems dumbed down too much. I actually don't know how I feel about the grunts overall, I wish they were easier to differentiate from real players, or at the very least spawned better.

But overall I think this is a nice evolution of FPS game play types. It melds a lot of previous concepts and some new ideas to create something that really does feel a bit different than the current FPS line up. The game did seem to run on my nVidia Shield; but I didn't play it too much.

I was very skeptical of this game when it was first introduced, especially of the balancing. However I do have to say my mind has changed, because at the end of the day it is fun to play.

Nothavingit

Neo Member
I like the action overall and the controls are fluid and easy to learn especially if you've played any recent FPS. I like the extraction at the end of the match but it kinda sucks as well because one match a guy was up there camping and picking us off; I'm not sure if the extraction points are random or not, if not I think they should be. I'm closer to pre-ordering now than I was before I played the beta but I'm worried that there won't be enough content packed in the game to keep me interested after the initial hype dies down.

I played on PC btw

sp3000

The biggest issue right now is there is too much AI running around the map. There has to be a clear way to tell the difference

I'm on PC and I'm really loving it so far. You can sit around killing grunts but you don't get much points-wise. Killing pilots also reduces the time it takes to deploy your own Titan. S other than weapon challenges there's not much incentive to purely go after grunts.

Really amazing though. I'm glad I pre-ordered. Now if I could only find a match of Domination or whatever its called. Getting kind of tired of play Attrition over and over.

BraXzy

I think the thing with the AI is.. if they were more aggressive and accurate, it would frustrate players and detract from the experience. If you keep getting taken out by AI before you even get into a proper firefight the complaints will happen anyway.

Although they do need some work I don't see a problem with them. They are there as cannon fodder, that's intended. It's to flesh out the maps between real players.

Having them look slightly different would detract from the overall thing I think. You always need to be on your toes from a pilot. In the lore of the game it seems like Pilots are the best of the best, everyone else are just average marines so it makes sense it that sense.

antitrop

Having them look slightly different would detract from the overall thing I think. You always need to be on your toes from a pilot. In the lore of the game it seems like Pilots are the best of the best, everyone else are just average marines so it makes sense it that sense.
In the actual game, you can hear the Grunts talking about how great and wonderful the Pilots are. It's kind of cheesy, but feels cool.

BraXzy

In the actual game, you can hear the Grunts talking about how great and wonderful the Pilots are. It's kind of cheesy, but feels cool.

It reminds me of the relationship between Spartans and Marines in Halo. These guys are worthy of Piloting the Titans, no small feat. It might be a little cheesy but it's nice when the lore makes sense.

After playing the game i checked my email and noticed a support ticket reply from EA. I didn't open it so wtf is going on? i can't even see what was said in the ticket.

Dear E K,

Thanks for contacting EA. I really appreciate your time. Have a good day.
We have closed this case for now . You can reach us at help.ea.com for further assistance

Regards,
Ankit S.
EA Customer Experience

BraXzy

Just saw what happens if you get in the Evac ship on TB's stream. Warping out to atmosphere and just hovering in space looks epic!

I would never say they're as satisfying to defeat as another player, just that it's more fun having them there as opposed to running around an empty map.
Having a higher player count would also solve that problem, of course.

Well I'm not going to say there isn't merit to it. I think killing AI would be more satisfying to the less skilled PVPers. People rather play pure co-op games like horde mode for this reason.

But because they stated the game "felt good" at a lower number count, as you said, it just seems like a feature to compensate for 6v6.

antitrop

Just saw what happens if you get in the Evac ship on TB's stream. Warping out to atmosphere and just hovering in space looks epic!

It's so nerve-racking when you're in the dropship as it's under fire, unsure as to whether or not you'll make it out or not. Really intense.

I, uh... wow. I am not sure what I was expecting. But that was fucking amazing. I only played 4 games of attrition and I'm pretty much sold.

I have everthing maxed and it never strayed from 60fps, but there were times it was a bit jumpy and I'm not sure if that is just a v-sync issue with triple buffering. Am I wrong in thinking it looks like CoD? The textures close up are nothing to write home about either.

But with that said, I'm gonna go play more. A lot more.

Deadbeat

Banned
Gunplay is exactly like cod. No recoil garbage. Also I ran behind and snapped two pilot necks which was cool but then the game crashed. I am not a happy camper.

Im gonna play quite a bit of the beta and then be done with it. Its a cool game but Im so tired of no recoil gunplay like cod.

Tawpgun

Good to see the people who are actually playing the game are liking it. Holds a bit more merit than the gaffers sitting on the sidelines watching gameplay videos, counting pixels and saying CoD with mechs

Card Boy

Banned
The mindless, cannon fodder AI is pointless and has no place in this game.

I'm struggling to see what purpose A.I has in a multiplayer game outside the Titans on guard mode. I fucken hate it when i have to VS bots in Awesomenauts, Perfect Dark Zero, Section 8 or CS matches, stupidest thing about Titanfall really puts me off buying the game.

If i wanted to VS A.I i would actually play a proper single player game.

cluto

I'm struggling to see what purpose A.I has in a multiplayer game outside the Titans on guard mode. I fucken hate it when i have to VS bots in Awesomenauts, Perfect Dark Zero, Section 8 or CS matches, stupidest thing about Titanfall really puts me off buying the game.

So that people who are garbage can feel like they're accomplishing something.

It's so the number of people contributing to the battlefield is larger than 12 human players, but not every person in the battle has the ability to call a Titan, preventing it from getting too crowded. If it was 12 v 12 and everyone could call a Titan, it would be chaos. 6 v 6 with some AI keeps the action high but without overcrowding

PC impressions

- 60 fps cap, hard to tell about optimization as a result. Immediate thoughts are that this is better optimized than BF4 beta by a long shot. Occasional frame dips (brief) that I'm not quite able to pin the cause down due to just...well, the speed of the game lul

- The game heavily relies on high image quality--I've got everything pumped up and it looks unbelievable.

- I should mention that I'm on a G-Sync display so I can't comment on tearing issues. I have zero due to G-Sync..but 60fps locked is going to cause screen tearing for enthusiast builds.

- Sticky aim for controller is subtle but competent. I won't say much but I felt competent with both inputs.

- I ran into Totalbiscuit who was doing quite decently. He assassinated me at one point lul...got him back though.

Concerning Gameplay

Positives

- The "bots" aspect of the game is glorious. They serve as a great "filler" to keep action constant but are also great for the strategic mechanics of the game. There's a ton of strategies that can be pursued. For instance I'm having a good time using the assassin build and waiting for opposing pilots to start revealing themselves on map by shooting at Grunts. It allows me to get in and pick them off.

- Titan on Titan gameplay is just a blast. You start noticing who the advanced Titan users are right away. Abandoning Titans seem like a bad idea all around though. Initially you think its good to use your titan as a decoy but it's generally a bad idea against the better users who can easily defend themselves from an Auto-Titan while simultaneously pinpointing your position.

- Good balance between initial weaponry. Smart pistol is a great option for controller users. There are certain tactics that will allow controller users to be more competitive against keyboard and mouse users should they find themselves losing the twitch game.

Overall, gunplay is extremely satisfying. Tactics are rich and diverse. It's one of the funnest shooters I've played in a while and this is coming from someone who wasn't all that hyped for the game to begin with. I was surprised to find that even in losing matches where I went negative or had a subpar game I was still having a really great time. Compared to Call of Duty when I'm getting destroyed and want to quit, the feeling never comes into play here.

Negatives

Uh...none?

- No, in all honesty, load times are ridiculous on PC thus far for me. Didn't install to my SSD but my 7200 rpm hard drive is taking way too much time to load these maps. Definitely going SSD for launch.

- Personal opinion more than anything else but there just seems to be a complete lack of map control thus far. There isn't any particular flow to these maps in terms of "okay, I want to try to accomplish this". I only played Team Slayer so maybe that's why things seemed a bit thoughtless. This isn't to say the maps were bad, I enjoyed them all quite a bit, but fighting over a powerful anti-titan weapon or an advanced titan weapon might have been a great way to generate a better "flow" to the gameplay.

Fantastic fantastic game though guys. Really solid beta.

Now unlock my fps pls <3

Card Boy

Banned
It's so the number of people contributing to the battlefield is larger than 12 human players, but not every person in the battle has the ability to call a Titan, preventing it from getting too crowded. If it was 12 v 12 and everyone could call a Titan, it would be chaos. 6 v 6 with some AI keeps the action high but without overcrowding

This is a terrible justification. Fighting A.I in a multiplayer game is never satisfying.

Tapiozona

Banned
This is a terrible justification. Fighting A.I in a multiplayer game is never satisfying.
...for you. The impressions here and elsewhere seem to say otherwise. Sorry to break it to you but your opinion (on a game you've never played) isn't gospel nor fact, oh great one.

After playing the game on the PC i can say it feels exactly like Call of Duty (on crack) from the movements down to the gun fights. Also it seems that the Call of Duty fish AI was Respawns inspiration for this game lol

Definity

I love throwing up my vortex shield when a pilot is locking me with a rocket and then fire it back at him! Killed more than a couple people that way...so satisfying.

After playing the game on the PC i can say it feels exactly like Call of Duty (on crack) from the movements down to the gun fights. Also it seems that the Call of Duty fish AI was Respawns inspiration for this game lol

see...the difference between this and CoD is that in CoD 9 times out of 10 whoever sees the other guy first is dead

In this game you have more health and since you're so fast and have a great escape plan almost none of CoD's negative aspects (i.e camping) come into play here

PC impressions

Positives

- The "bots" aspect of the game is glorious. They serve as a great "filler" to keep action constant but are also great for the strategic mechanics of the game. There's a ton of strategies that can be pursued. For instance I'm having a good time using the assassin build and waiting for opposing pilots to start revealing themselves on map by shooting at Grunts. It allows me to get in and pick them off.

Exactly how I feel about the "bots" in the game after playing for over 6 hours today. They really make the game for me.

Also, for anyone curious, a gtx 765m gets me around 45fps with everything on high and 4xAA. Hoping new NVIDIA drivers make the fps better!

Top Bottom