• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Educational live presentation by JP Kellams (Platinum Games) starting soon

Sendou

EDIT: It's over but you can watch the whole event from the YouTube link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY5f698omfc

JP Kellams, creative producer at PlatinumGames, will be giving a presentation at UCF's Center for Emerging Media on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11 am.

Kellams' talk will cover the differences between the Japanese and American game industries, lessons learned and tips for pitching new video game ideas.

Kellams started his gaming career in 2005, joining Capcom's localization division based in their Osaka development offices where he worked on the localization of a variety of titles including God Hand, Monster Hunter Freedom and the Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney series.

In 2007, Kellams joined PlatinumGames, where he helped create the English adaptations of Bayonetta, Vanquish, The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 while providing additional writing and creative support on all of the studio's titles.

He has also worked on the soundtracks for MadWorld, Anarchy Reigns, and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. A 2003 graduate of the University of Florida in East Asian Languages and Literature, he is currently Creative Producer on an upcoming PlatinumGames project.

The presentation is free and open to the public. The Center for Emerging Media is located at 500 West Livingston St. in downtown Orlando. Call 407-235-3580 or email info@fiea.ucf.edu for more info.

Could be interesting. Educational is in the title to emphasize that this isn't about new games or anything like that. Couldn't figure out a better way to get that message across.

t1393603200z1.png

^ I'm pretty sure that's the starting time but don't blame me if it's earlier. YouTube countdown ends 30 minutes earlier. I doubt that's when the actual event starts though.

Oh and apparently you can go listen it in person if that sounds nice. The event is free and open to public:

Mesoian

It sounds like the japanese dev scene is busy putting bandaids on problems instead of trying to actually fix them...

Edit: Who fails: - Otaku.

THANK YOU.

Sendou

Fucking YouTube blocking Live Streams in Germany :\

Can we expect a recording of this stream to be uploaded to the channel later?
I'm really, really interested in this.

batbeg

Not interested in going into game development or anything but I really enjoyed that whole talk. Was especially interested in the idea of Japanese developers "getting quit" and basically being asked to sit at a desk or leave. It kind of explains a lot.

Also kind of lols at the general Nintendo sentiment coming from the Q&A section, and Kellams' well deflected answers.
Platinum Starfox confirmed.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
On a related note, there's this session that's going to be at GDC in a couple weeks:

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session-id/828293

Date: Wednesday, March 19
Time: 5:00pm-6:00pm

Fresh off their success crowdfunding the Mighty No. 9 project, Comcept CEO Keiji Inafune is joined by Tokyo-based consultant Mark MacDonald of 8-4, Ltd. to talk about the experience, as well as other trends in the Japanese industry. How did the different Western and Japanese partners come together to manage one of the biggest Kickstarter campaigns of all time? What are the advantages and challenges to creating and selling modern Japanese games to a primarily Western audience? And how are Japanese developers and game-players responding to newer business models like crowd-funding and free-to-play in general? Join us for anecdotes and insight covering all these topics and more.

Takeaway

The audience will gain a better understanding of recent trends in the Japanese market, including the burgeoning indie scene, how it is adapting to crowd-funding models, etc.

Intended Audience

Anyone with an interest in working with Japanese developers, publishers or contractors, selling to a Japanese audience, or who wants to learn about recent developments in crowdfunding in general.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The video seems to be dead now, any way of watching it again?

It was a good talk. The only bad thing I noticed is JP overprepared for the Q&A section and sometimes was not even answering the questions being asked, quite defensively in the case of Bayonetta 2. Its understandable that he had those answers prepared, but sometimes when speaking publicly you need to take a step back and clarify to yourself if your prepared answer fits the question being asked.

Really interesting.

This part of the video should be required viewing for anyone asking why Bayonetta 2 is Wii U only. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY5f698omfc&feature=share&t=1h17m55s

(I'm also amused by the irony that it was an EA employee that asked him that question.)

But that was not the question asked. From my view that was more a technical and Marketing (both to old fans and new) question, not a question on the choice of platform.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You seem a bit young to be in a producer position? How did you move up so quickly?

?

I've known producers in their mid 20s over a decade ago. They got a Production Assistant/Production Coordinator role out of college, then moved on to Assistant/Associate Producer roles for a few years before getting a full producer spot. This isn't really all that uncommon.

Took me longer to production as I went through the QA route.

Riki

I thought this part was pretty good:

But if you were going to sell a game on a Nintendo platform, what publisher would you choose? Right, Nintendo. Right? So if you’re going to sell a game on a Nintendo platform, the publisher that you want to be with is Nintendo because they know how best to service their audience and they’re going to do the best job of explaining your game to that platform. You very rarely see huge, major third-party successes on Nintendo platforms because it’s really hard to fight against Mario, right? It’s why Universal isn’t as big as Disney. I mean, it’s really hard to fight somebody on that kind of turf, so…

We really wanted to make Bayonetta 2. And Bayonetta 2 is a project that we were passionate about. And when we couldn’t… when the business situation changed and we couldn’t make it the way that we were originally planning on making it, we definitely wanted to make sure that our project survived. I’ve seen Bayonetta 2 – I look at it every single day of my life when I’m in the office. It’s really cool and the world is going to be a better place because Bayonetta 2 is in it.

I spend a lot of time on Twitter seeing people get really angry, ‘Why is it not on PS3 and 360?’ Right? So kind of the way it went was, ‘Why do we have to buy a Wii U for one game? Why isn’t it on PS3 or 360?’ And now that the Xbox One and the PS4 are out, it’s ‘Why isn’t it on PS4 or Xbox One?’ So then it’s not about buying a piece of hardware, it’s just that you didn’t want it on the Wii U.

And that’s cool, I mean maybe that system’s not for you, or maybe that platform isn’t what you want to play games on, but we really want to make Bayonetta 2 and we think it’s going to be a fun game and the people who do play it are going to really enjoy it and I think that we made the right decision to make sure that game survived. I mean I’d rather be in a world with Bayonetta 2 than without.

This is a man that is passionate about his product, and it's a real shame that he seems so defeated because of a lot of childish fanboys that just seem to have complete vitriol for Nintendo.

JPKellams

I thought this part was pretty good:

This is a man that is passionate about his product, and it's a real shame that he seems so defeated because of a lot of childish fanboys that just seem to have complete vitriol for Nintendo.

Thanks for transcribing that. I'm not defeated about things at all. I don't think we've ever really had a good platform to articulate the answer above.

It was a good talk. The only bad thing I noticed is JP overprepared for the Q&A section and sometimes was not even answering the questions being asked, quite defensively in the case of Bayonetta 2. Its understandable that he had those answers prepared, but sometimes when speaking publicly you need to take a step back and clarify to yourself if your prepared answer fits the question being asked.

But that was not the question asked. From my view that was more a technical and Marketing (both to old fans and new) question, not a question on the choice of platform.

It was absolutely a platform choice question, because the question is predicated on the fact that a Nintendo platform is somehow "different." The top of my answer deals with that: If you want to reach the Nintendo audience, Nintendo is who you should work with.

Ushiwaka

I know its a bit controversial and hard to talk about Bayo 2's exclusivity cause everyone will get the wrong idea, but I'm gonna have a rational discussion about the exclusivity and I assure you what you are about to read doesn't contain even a tiny bit of fanboyism (I hate it as much as you guys do) and I'm sure people here on GAF are good enough to don't get the wrong idea. Oh and before I start, I just wanna point out that I will buy a Wii U to play Bayo 2. It will probably take me a year or so to save money cause I'm kinda broke right now, but I will definitely buy a Wii U for Bayo 2. And sorry in advance for my broken English.

So then it’s not about buying a piece of hardware, it’s just that you didn’t want it on the Wii U.

I'm sure the majority of people who complain about the Wii U exclusivity don't hate the Wii U (I said "majority" cause there's always those annoying fanboys who may not even care what game it is and just want to hate a platform). The complains originate from something else. You see, the people who played the first Bayo, are the people who owned a PS3 or A X360 and Im sure you know that the majority of audiences of PS3/360 are very different in terms of taste from the audience of the Wii (again I said "majority" cause there's always some people who own every system). Let me use these games as an example. People who played Bayo 1 also played, let's say, The Witcher, Dark Souls and Dragon Age. And the audience of the Wii didn't, cause well obviously the games were not on that system. So we got The first group and the second one. The thing that caused an outrage among the Bayonetta fans was that the game was shifted from the first audience to the second while no other game did. See, Bayo2 shifted to the second audience but no other game did. If someone loved Bayo and also loved Dark souls or Witcher or Dragon age, they have to buy a PS4/X1 for the sequels and they also have to buy a Wii U just for Bayo 2 and JUST for Bayo2 cause they are from a different audience than the audience of the Wii and they are not interested in Mario or Zelda (as spectacular and great games they are). So I think its not right to say people just don't want it on Wii U like they hate Wii u or Nintendo. No, People don't want it, EXCLUSIVELY, on a platform that no other game from the first group has shifted to. If The Wii U had proper good third party support and the games from group 1, I'm sure the majority of the complaining fans would be OK with the shift. The fact that Wii U was a failure third party-wise is nothing to blame Bayonetta's fans for. When you shift just one game, and just ONE game to the different audience, you should give people the right to complain.

Now I understand, there are business stuff that we do not know about and may not ever know, but acting like the fans are guilty and its their fault... well I think that's not fair.

These were just a few words I thought I needed to say. I love PlatinumGames and I'm waiting to see your next amazing projects.

Jintor

Well, I kinda get what you're saying, but the long and short of it is that the game wouldn't exist if it wasn't on the WiiU, so...

Ushiwaka

Well, I kinda get what you're saying, but the long and short of it is that the game wouldn't exist if it wasn't on the WiiU, so...

Yes that is a part of "business stuff that we do not know about and may not ever know" And I'm sure any mature Bayo fan will understand that. My point was on the "So then it’s not about buying a piece of hardware, it’s just that you didn’t want it on the Wii U." part. As I explained why I think that is not a fair thing to say.

ASIS

Yes that is a part of "business stuff that we do not know about and may not ever know" And I'm sure any mature Bayo fan will understand that. My point was on the "So then it’s not about buying a piece of hardware, it’s just that you didn’t want it on the Wii U." part. As I explained why I think that is not a fair thing to say.
Your argument makes sense until a certain game went to the 360 (Final Fantasy 13) springs to mind. The game went multiplatform so Playstation fans didn't lose the title, nor were forced to buy any piece of hardware, yet they complained in nearly the same fashion as they did with Bayo 2.

Your reasoning is sound, but the only mistake you made is that your rationality applies to the minority of the people. The majority is just pissed that it's not on their preferred platform. Even if they have a Wii U.

I remember a specific post in one of the early threads that basically said, it would have been better to have the game go undeveloped on the off chance that a different publisher pick it up eventually than for it to be wiiu exclusive. There have also been many posts around the internet from people wholly unaware of the funding situation that took accusatory tones of "Nintendo is stealing our games!" A massive part of the internet backlash has been more emotional and personal than a calm accounting of entertainment value per console.

It was absolutely a platform choice question, because the question is predicated on the fact that a Nintendo platform is somehow "different." The top of my answer deals with that: If you want to reach the Nintendo audience, Nintendo is who you should work with.

Of course it is different. All platforms are. The question wouldn't be anyless valid of Bayo 2 was PC exclusive, Handheld exclusive or on iOS.

The game from a technical point of view would have to be retooled (its no secret that there was a version that once existed for previous gen consoles) and that would bring interesting challenges.

But OK. You answer is the one you felt most valid, so fair enough.

I know its a bit controversial and hard to talk about Bayo 2's exclusivity cause everyone will get the wrong idea, but I'm gonna have a rational discussion about the exclusivity and I assure you what you are about to read doesn't contain even a tiny bit of fanboyism (I hate it as much as you guys do) and I'm sure people here on GAF are good enough to don't get the wrong idea. Oh and before I start, I just wanna point out that I will buy a Wii U to play Bayo 2. It will probably take me a year or so to save money cause I'm kinda broke right now, but I will definitely buy a Wii U for Bayo 2. And sorry in advance for my broken English.

I'm sure the majority of people who complain about the Wii U exclusivity don't hate the Wii U (I said "majority" cause there's always those annoying fanboys who may not even care what game it is and just want to hate a platform). The complains originate from something else. You see, the people who played the first Bayo, are the people who owned a PS3 or A X360 and Im sure you know that the majority of audiences of PS3/360 are very different in terms of taste from the audience of the Wii (again I said "majority" cause there's always some people who own every system). Let me use these games as an example. People who played Bayo 1 also played, let's say, The Witcher, Dark Souls and Dragon Age. And the audience of the Wii didn't, cause well obviously the games were not on that system. So we got The first group and the second one. The thing that caused an outrage among the Bayonetta fans was that the game was shifted from the first audience to the second while no other game did. See, Bayo2 shifted to the second audience but no other game did. If someone loved Bayo and also loved Dark souls or Witcher or Dragon age, they have to buy a PS4/X1 for the sequels and they also have to buy a Wii U just for Bayo 2 and JUST for Bayo2 cause they are from a different audience than the audience of the Wii and they are not interested in Mario or Zelda (as spectacular and great games they are). So I think its not right to say people just don't want it on Wii U like they hate Wii u or Nintendo. No, People don't want it, EXCLUSIVELY, on a platform that no other game from the first group has shifted to. If The Wii U had proper good third party support and the games from group 1, I'm sure the majority of the complaining fans would be OK with the shift. The fact that Wii U was a failure third party-wise is nothing to blame Bayonetta's fans for. When you shift just one game, and just ONE game to the different audience, you should give people the right to complain.

Now I understand, there are business stuff that we do not know about and may not ever know, but acting like the fans are guilty and its their fault... well I think that's not fair.

These were just a few words I thought I needed to say. I love PlatinumGames and I'm waiting to see your next amazing projects.

This. I bought a WiiU and hate the fact that once im done with it, ive got a Brick. Ive given TW101 a fair shake and I dont like it btw. If the console had a life in terms of third party support for games I actually am looking forward to playing, if Nintendo got their heads out their arses regarding pricing of games, If Nintendo had unified accounts and If they had a OS that didnt feel like a fisher price toy from the 90's. Id be much happier about my purchase.

Its not the WiiU that is the problem. Its Nintendo as a company.

Still, bottom line is the only way im gonna play this game is by putting up with this console.

What audience that was on PS360 thats not on Wii U? I understand the reasoning but its pretty wack to me. Nintendo has always had some niche titles killer 7, Mad world, NMH, Bayo 2 fits right in to me. Not like the audience on PS360 was defined enough to warrant a sequel anyways. Bayonetta isnt in that group with the witcher and dark souls. More in the group with Lollipop chainsaw, and Vanquish.

Top Bottom