• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nino Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch global shipments hit 1.1 million

Does it include digital downloads? I am pretty sure that the digital numbers will make it far more impressive(unless they are included) since it has been on discount for a long time now.

In any case, this is fantastic news. Hopeful for the sequel now.

oh my god that reminds me i bought the game on PSN a while back, still haven't played.

My backlog is piling up :( Ground Zeroes and Infamous SS coming in a couple weeks doesn't help that.

OmegaDL50

I enjoyed it when I played it last year in January.

Considering games like Dragon Quest VIII, Dark Cloud 2, Rogue Galaxy, and Ni No Kuni. Level 5 certainly knows how to make a colorful world. DQ8 and Ni No Kuni also managed to keep the classic JRPG formula somewhat intact with the large varied world exploration, instead of degenerating on into a corridor explorer or pick a spot on a static map graphic and warp to location, that seemed to plague a majority of Eastern RPGs in the PS3 / 360 era.

Shinta

Banned
If they do another collaboration with Ghibli, I can only hope they scrap NNK completely and do a totally new IP, battle system, with new characters.

They got the graphics down, but that's about it. A Level-5 x Ghibli collaboration should be better. And Ghibli doesn't do that many sequels. I think NNK 2 would sell less than the first.

Do a new IP. This time, don't design your game to be so retro, and try and push the gameplay into something new and interesting and people will be more excited to play it.

That seems lower than I expected, considering there's been quite a lot of hype and positive feedback around this game. I imagine it would be better when they factor in digital sales. I bought it mid last year from PSN for about £15, as I recall.

Level 5's best selling game last generation? Possibly on consoles.

Hope they are making another jrpg for PS4 and no its hopefully that that wondershit.

Colbert

Banned
Greatly reserved. Too bad I never finished the after-game (where the real game starts for the enthusiasts).

Great game, buy was it a success? Was it profitable? Am I just use to AAA games requiring mega-budgets? This was an AAA game to me.

That seems lower than I expected, considering there's been quite a lot of hype and positive feedback around this game. I imagine it would be better when they factor in digital sales. I bought it mid last year from PSN for about £15, as I recall.

Most places here in the UK either didn't stock it or only ordered 2-3 copies for launch. So it's no real surprise that some people are shocked by the figures. I think that's a pretty solid number for the game, personally one of my favorites from 2013.

zeopower6

It's a JRPG that isn't FF, that's already a huge hurdle. I think it's probably sold more than most Persona games' worldwide totals... maybe all of them?

I want a sequel on PS4.

I believe that is happening according to what we've seen some people say.

Shinta

Banned
It's a JRPG that isn't FF, that's already a huge hurdle. I think it's probably sold more than most Persona games in terms of WW.
It's sold about 4x more than every Persona game besides Persona 4: Golden. Persona 4: Golden was still outsold though, by about 400k. Persona had never even broken 500k worldwide until Golden.

But they're honestly cheating a bit here by combining the DS and the PS3 numbers into one.

sublimit

Banned
Bought the game on release day,got halfway through it but got sidetracked by other games and i left it unfinished...now i feel like i have to start all over again.:/

Anyway i hope the sales are good enough to convince Level 5 to work on a sequel.I would love to see some changes though.For example i'd like the overworld to be in full 3D this time (ala DQVIII just leave the top down view for the ship sections).Ni no kuni's overworld was incredibly beautiful but i felt that it was breaking my immersion everytime i went from full 3D to top down view.Put the emphasis on exploration rather than battles.

The battle system needs some tuning too especially the way you can hit a monster's weak point.Sometimes now matter how i positioned my character i just couldn't land a successful hit.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Would have hoped for higher sales since its been on sale so much on PSN - but still Bandai Namco should be happy with the western reception.

zeopower6

Would have hoped for higher sales since its been on sale so much on PSN - but still Bandai Namco should be happy with the western reception.

The last reported number was in August around Level 5 Vision...

Ni no Kuni sales for the PS3 and Nintendo DS version (Japan-only) reached 1.4 million sales worldwide.

So 300k in the last 7 months or so?

wmlk

It's really difficult to judge this game because it really isn't a PS3 game from the ground up, and not just the sales.

Got it for under £6 on the UK PSN Sale - bargain I say.

Not really given this a proper go yet, much like many of the PS Plus titles on my PS3, which is quickly becoming a real box of delights.

Number45

I bought this from PSN when it was on sale at £20, then it went free on PS+. I haven't played it yet, but I regret nothing (aside from not having played it).

Don't suppose it supports remote play?

It's really difficult to judge this game because it really isn't a PS3 game from the ground up, and not just the sales.
It looks beautiful, I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

A proud part of my still shrink-wrapped and unplayed collection. A collection that is WAY too big. Someday, I will play. Hopefully.

zeopower6

One of the best RPGs of last year, and a proud owner of the Wizard's Edition. It should've sold double that, at least.

What's more depressing is that it barely made it to 100k~ in Japan. :( So the numbers are like 1 million sold in the West and 100k+ish in Japan.

It looks beautiful, I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Probably "it was a DS game before... blah blah" but the gameplay was completely different in that game. :(

Dart

I had a great time getting the platinum for Ni No Kuni. It really does deserve more success, hopefully we get a sequel on the PS4.

Arcatax

Fantastic game. Considering how well it did in the west I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see a sequel. Hopefully on PS4 (And Xbox One because everyone should be able to play it)

I think this game's success was the reason we started getting those Tales games localized.

It was dormant for awhile, but Ni no Kuni showed Bamco that there's a market for good JRPGs instead of wasting money on trying to cater to the west like Inversion or Dead to Rights.

zeopower6

Fantastic game. Considering how well it did in the west I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see a sequel. Hopefully on PS4 (And Xbox One because everyone should be able to play it)

Level-5's complete lack of involvement with anything MS makes me think that is unlikely. There is WonderFlick, but that was pretty much on EVERYTHING except 3DS.

And I hope they do a Wizard's Edition for the sequel (and people need to buy it when they announce it :p) along with some sort of near-simultaneous worldwide release.

What's more depressing is that it barely made it to 100k~ in Japan. :( So the numbers are like 1 million sold in the West and 100k+ish in Japan.

Isn't that kind of a good thing if you look at it a certain perspective though? It shows that there's still demand for this sort of thing in the West, so whilst Japanese consumers may ignore a product, us filthy gaijin can pick up the slack. It could end up convincing Japanese publishers to localise their shit more often.

Top Bottom