• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nino Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch global shipments hit 1.1 million

Mikey Jr.

Things going against it.

1. An RPG not named final fantasy.

2. Brand new IP.

3. No marketing at all, just word of mouth.

4. Low supply in some places.

5. It was fucking called ni no kuni.

1.1 mil seems fucking fantastic. Loved the game and want nnk2.

sörine

Banned
Level 5's best selling game last generation? Possibly on consoles.
On consoles, yes it is easily. If you include handhelds though Inazuma Eleven 2-3, every Layton game and obviously DQIX sold more.

Probably "it was a DS game before... blah blah" but the gameplay was completely different in that game. :(
Even that might not be entirely correct. I remember reading the PS3 version started development first but was put on hold to focus on the DS version.

Koppai

I imported the DS game for collection reasons, only paid $10.50 for it though. Can't play it at all lol! Have the PS3 Wizard's Edition...Never played it O_O;

Time to play? :3

I've never seen an AAA game on PSN get marked down to bomba prices this fast or frequently as this game. And even then it barely made it past the million mark. It's depressing to even think about how little money it made back.

most definitely. remember that retail copies were hard to find in europe at launch. it sold out pretty quick. let's not talk about the limited edtion. those got very expensive instantly. they had to reprint the base game several times and it even made it into the essentials line. it's a no-brainer.

Audioboxer

Amazing game, would benefit from a 2nd installment with a bigger budget for more voiced lines and gameplay tweaks.

The graphics on the PS4 as well.... *drool*

maxcriden

How was the 3DS version, anyway?

ETA: Wait, it was JP only? Weird, considering how many Level-5 games come to the West.

That seems lower than I expected, considering there's been quite a lot of hype and positive feedback around this game. I imagine it would be better when they factor in digital sales. I bought it mid last year from PSN for about £15, as I recall.

most jrpgs these days that isn't named pokemon get to sell 100k in the usa.

Takao

Banned
How was the 3DS version, anyway?

ETA: Wait, it was JP only? Weird, considering how many Level-5 games come to the West.

Nonexistent.

The DS version was probably not localized due to expense.

The time it would have taken to translate the game, it would have been released on a dead console.

In any case, the DS version seemed to do well in its first week. 170k copies sold kind of well. Was the drop in sales so large that retailers were forced to liquidate their stock?

Nino Kuni DS may have sold 170k in its first week, but Level-5 shipped 600k. Apparently they never shipped a copy after that. Retailers apparently panicked, and it hit the bomba bins.

Keyouta

I'll have to check it out sometime in the future, my backlog is too big right now. The game looks great though, and the sales are spectacular for a new RPG.

wmlk

I bought this from PSN when it was on sale at £20, then it went free on PS+. I haven't played it yet, but I regret nothing (aside from not having played it).

Don't suppose it supports remote play?

It looks beautiful, I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

I'm talking about the sales and future prospects.

zeopower6

Was it supposed to be good, though?

It was really pretty... battles were sort of like Dragon Quest-y with 3D models and some creatures were DS-only. I don't really know how much 'better' the experience was than the PS3 version though :/

hPSPOw7.jpg

Such gorgeous backgrounds.

Good, but it has been discounted soon and regularly

I don't think that matters since people are buying. Plenty of things go on discount (Persona is like this lately too) but they might not sell. With all the discounts, they were able to sell 300,000 more copies in the last 6 months.

Rolf NB

We really need to know if this figure includes downloads. The game has been heavily discounted on Euro PSN, for one. Price is now permanently reduced to 19.99€. I think it was at 6.99€ or something crazy like that during the January sale.

zeopower6

We really need to know if this figure includes downloads. The game has been heavily discounted on Euro PSN, for one. Price is now permanently reduced to 19.99€. I think it was at 6.99€ or something crazy like that during the January sale.

I think it's already Greatest Hits in most territories which explains that permanent price drop... but I'd imagine it does include downloads. Maybe we could try to get some clarification from Level-5? (It would be amazing if this was just physical sales but...)

How disappointing. This game doesn't deserve an ounce of the success it got. I was hopping that this game would flop and Level 5 would start taking gameplay design more seriously, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

zeopower6

How disappointing. This game doesn't deserve an ounce of the success it got. I was hopping that this game would flop and Level 5 would start taking gameplay design more seriously, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Plenty of games don't do that well in Japan and the developers keep trucking on. I don't think this game performing poorly (which is kind of did in Japan...ish..) would have changed much at Level-5.

It was really pretty... battles were sort of like Dragon Quest-y with 3D models and some creatures were DS-only. I don't really know how much 'better' the experience was than the PS3 version though :/

It had a simpler battle system, but the elements of that system didn't work against player input.
There's less story content, but the additional content in the White Witch is arguably damaging to the main narrative so it ended up being a good thing for those who are receptive to such elements.

Not sure how to feel about this. Great that a JRPG is pushing good numbers these days but Ni No Kuni...don't like that game much.

I'm actually really surprised at the overwhelming positivity in this thread. I'm a big JRPG guy and I found the combat in Ni No Kuni, pardon my French, to be garbage. From a gameplay standpoint it's one of the worst I've ever played.

It's very cute and I liked the music and writing but everything else....ugh.

Not sure how to feel about this. Great that a JRPG is pushing good numbers these days but Ni No Kuni...don't like that game much.

I'm actually really surprised at the overwhelming positivity in this thread. I'm a big JRPG guy and I found the combat in Ni No Kuni, pardon my French, to be garbage. From a gameplay standpoint it's on of the worst I've ever played.

It's very cute and I liked the music and writing but everything else....ugh.

Seriously. I've only fallen asleep during two games--this and White Knight Chronicles 2. Coincidence?

Elios83

Ni No Kuni was great and I'm a big fan of Ghibli. Level5 couldn't find a better partner.
My dream would be a PS4 RPG with Ghibli, a bit more mature in terms of characters, story and setting, something like Mononoke.

ohlawd

Seriously. I've only fallen asleep during two games--this and White Knight Chronicles 2. Coincidence?
Coincidence? I think not.

Good that a JRPG has managed to sell well in the West but it didn't have to be this game lol. Exceeding horrible. 2013 was a fantastic year for JRPGs. Those other games should have sold much more instead.

maxcriden

Were there cutscenes in both versions? Thanks for the info!

Arttemis

I'm glad for L5, but I just can't stand the battle system. At all. A turn based system in this game would have scratched the console Pokemon itch of millions, including myself.

Top Bottom