• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console prices in Canada going up; PS4 449,99$ at The Source.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Update 2: Microsoft currently has no plan to do the same with the Xbox One.

A Microsoft spokesman said the company currently has no plans for a similar Xbox One price increase in Canada.

Update: Confirmed by Sony Canada, price rise on console (+50$) and peripherals (+5$) effective Saturday.

Sony Computer Entertainment Canada has confirmed to the Toronto Sun that the price of PlayStation 4 will go up from $399.99 to $449.99. The DualShock 4 and PlayStation Camera each cost $59.99 now, but will soon cost $64.99. All price changes go into effect as of Saturday, March 15th.

Like game prices, it looks like prices of consoles in Canada are on the rise up as well. The Source shows the PS4 with a price of 449,99$ (49,99$ increase) in their new flyer.

http://flyers.thesource.ca/flyers/t...#!/flyers/thesource-weekly?flyer_run_id=21405

The CND being on a massive drop since the last few months, prices of games and consoles are rising. Let's hope it goes back down when the CND increases to the usual levels. Not the first time it happened, but it sucks big time.

EDIT: Dualshock 4 prices have also increased by 5$.

DarkJC

The CND being on a massive drops since the last few months, prices of games and consoles are rising. Let's hope it goes back down when the CND increases to the usual levels. Not the first time it happened, but it sucks big time.

Hahahaha, they won't be so quick to adjust when it goes the other way. I remember it taking ages last time.

ref

I guess I will be going digital for games from now on, not paying 69.99 for games again, on top of the taxes, making it into about 77 dollars, at least here in Winnipeg.

Still though, I hope this dies out quickly.

Oh well, less games at launch for me.

Also, it's not surprising The Source is one of the first to throw their prices up. The store itself uses shady advertising in the first place and often priced way higher than every other retail store on most items.

... but still, fuck.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I guess I will be going digital for games from now on, not paying 69.99 for games again, on top of the taxes, making it into about 77 dollars, at least here in Winnipeg.

Still though, I hope this dies out quickly.
I thought prices on the PSN store have already changed to reflect the dropping dollar?

This is terrible news. As if the things weren't expensive enough to begin with, they go and jack up the price even more. I may be in the minority, but I won't be purchasing either new console until there's a significant price drop. I'll be quite content gaming with my Wii U and 3DS until that time.

It's a shame, though. I was looking forward to playing Destiny this year.

ref

I thought prices on the PSN store have already changed to reflect the dropping dollar?

Oh crap, have they? I haven't even checked lately. I was under the impression they didn't change.

This situation really sucks if that's true.

Last I checked, inFamous was $69.99 on PSN too, ya. Probably to prevent the US people from making a Canadian account and getting a sweet deal on digital?
$70 just seems crazy nowadays, when everything is supposed to be plentiful and competitive. This isn't the 80s anymore.

Oh hells no.

First $70 games and now this? And I bet they have no intention of lowering prices if the Canadian dollar climbs back up and reaches parity with the US again.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that videogames ever did reach price parity with the US. Barely anything else did when we sat at 1$.

ref

Times like these makes me wish retail game rental places were still in service. When games were 69.99 before I rented a whole heck of a lot.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Fucking stupid... While they'll be as fast as they can to raise those prices, when the CND improves, they'll take their sweet fucking time to bring them to parity to US prices.

Hold hands, Canada... We're all in this together.

Thanks Harper

Won't Sony just not ship new consoles to them then? It's bad press and it's gonna hurt their sales with a retailer scalping and raising the price.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Won't Sony just not ship new consoles to them then? It's bad press and it's gonna hurt their sales with a retailer scalping and raising the price.

They have no choice but to do it, because otherwise they are losing money because of the weak CND.

Mr. F

Banned
It'll take forever to even out again, regardless of parity. We always get fucked, this country is getting suffocatingly expensive.

it is not only the source that is raising prices... other retailers as well

if the source is increasing the price other retailers will follow suit

Zeppeli

Banned
Looks like it's time for me to go full in on my Saturn, Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance and Neo Geo Pocket collection aspirations. Going to break for this gen until the dollar evens out and prices come back down to Earth.

Can someone give me a list of JRPGs on those platforms worth playing? I haven't tried that genre outside of Pokemon and Persona. Thanks. Quote me or PM me. :)

khaaan

I guess this is a good opportunity to catch up on my backlog and buy cheap games from past gens. As far as modern console game purchasing goes, my fate currently lies in the hands of Futureshop and their E3 deals.

Samyy

Good thing I got mine at launch, but this is fucking awful.
Canceled my inFamous pre-order, suck it Sony & stores >=(

Where were our price drops when the dollar was really good HUH!

Madness

Just means I'll purchase less games, or probably make more trips down South. Even if the dollar rises again, will take them a long time to change these prices.

What's crazy is, the dollar is still high, and yet they've effectively used the pricing they used to have when the dollar was 60-80 cents to the dollar.

Yoda

What is causing the CND to devlaue? A quick google searched blamed China's lower than expected exports?

That sucks. I think Sony reacts a bit faster to currency fluctuations.

So is the devalued CND because of the economy there not doing so well or something?

bastian

Banned
1325795244_angry_face.gif

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Crazy. I'm glad I got one at launch.

Sadly, the only games I got on PS4 pre-order through FutureShop E3 deals are Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III. I'm going to be waiting for 39.99$ prices on PS4 software. I ain't paying 70$ + 15% Quebec tax for a game.

I guess I'm going to be waiting a long time lol

The Source is terrible. While it wouldn't surprise me if stores started charging a premium for consoles that are in "high demand", you can't use The Source as a way to judge prices. Everything there is overpriced, regardless of where in Canada you live.

Top Bottom