• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Da Vinci's Demons - Season 2 - YO. DAVINCIGUY. BRO. - Saturdays on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Florence is thrown into chaos in the wake of the Pazzi conspiracy and Leonardo da Vinci must push the limits of his mind and body to defend the city against the forces of Rome. When the dust settles, friends are buried and rivalries enflamed. While the Medicis go to unthinkable lengths to deal with new threats, da Vinci continues on his quest to find the fabled Book of Leaves and uncover the secret history of his mother. He'll come to realize that he has lethal competition in his quest-- new enemies who may be even worse than the forces of Pope Sixtus. His search will take him to faraway lands and force him to reevaluate everything he knew about the world and his own history.

From Saturday, March 8 - 23, STARZ will offer the entire eight-episode first season of "Da Vinci's Demons" for sampling to all U.S. consumers online at Starz.com and on the STARZ PLAY service. Many large cable, satellite, and telco distributors of STARZ will offer the entire first season through their respective Free On Demand and online platforms.

Cast

• Still haunted by the absence of his mother and the secrets surrounding her disappearance, da Vinci searches for a compendium of knowledge called The Book of Leaves. The quest for The Book of Leaves is perilous, taking da Vinci on a path far beyond his imagination and will put him and those he loves at great risk.
  • Though Lucrezia lives in a society ruled by men, she is not trapped by the conventions of her time. Alongside her exotic new companion, Quon Shan, she pursues her own quest for those she loves. Lucrezia’s quest for justice takes her far from home, forcing her to confront foreign lands and the prospect of her own death.
  • The quest for The Book of Leaves is perilous, taking Riario on a journey of discovery, which disturbs his all–consuming faith. Though Riario is ruthless and unwavering – utilizing every resource at his disposal – his humanity is somewhat restored by a heartfelt romance from an unlikely source that will change him forever.
  • As head of the Medici Bank, one of the most influential institutions in Europe, Lorenzo is the de facto ruler of Florence. Away from his wife, Lorenzo is charmed by his old flame Ippolita, now married to King Ferrante’s son, whose desire has not dimmed since their courtship many years ago.

• Witty and charming, Zoroaster brightens the darkest moments on da Vinci’s perilous journey while helping his friend out of several near death experiences in the New World. While he has no interest in the elevation of art, he certainly possesses other qualities that are representative of the Renaissance: an enjoyment of wine, beautiful women and merriment.
  • While Lorenzo is off in Naples, Clarice learns to rule as a woman in a world governed by men who are determined to replace a female leader. With Carlo de Medici acting as her advisor, Clarice grows in power, ruling the Medici Bank with an iron fist.
  • Ima, Inca High Priestess, is as strikingly beautiful as she is formidable. Quechan for "What Power," Ima holds sway over her people beyond that even of Topa Inca, the emperor of the Inca.
  • Pope Sixtus IV remains unwaveringly committed to expanding the power and scope of the Catholic Church. He considers Florence to be a sinkhole of debauchery and seeks to either force them to bend to his will or burn to ashes.

Videos

Da Vinci's Demons: Season 2 Coming 2014
Da Vinci's Demons Season 2 Teaser Trailer
Da Vinci's Demons: Closer Look
Da Vinci's Demons: Season 2 Overview
The Music of Da Vinci's Demons

Promo Photos

qbFeTUO.jpg

5O4mYlK.jpg

Wc35OGv.jpg

Ratings

Season 1:

Episode 1: 1.04 million
Episode 2: 503K
Episode 3: 382K
Episode 4: 419K
Episode 5: 464K
Episode 6: 548K
Episode 7: 451K
Episode 8: 379K

Season 2:

Episode 1: 578K
Episode 2: 391K
Episode 3: ???
Episode 4: ???
Episode 5: ???
Episode 6: ???
Episode 7: ???
Episode 8: ???
Episode 9: ???
Episode 10: ???

The first season was surprisingly entertaining and it has one of my favorite theme songs. I'm looking forward to the premiere.

wow never heard of this show ? what kind of show is it and is it fun ?
From Ratsky's previous thread:

What GAF says

The goofy, fun atmosphere is entertaining enough, but it's strangely disrupted with the occasional burst of nudity or throat slashing. It's a bizarre mix in terms of tone.

It's fun and certainly improves as the season goes on. Worth checking out, imo.

Yeah, it becomes pretty awesome. Tons of fun.

I'll be back next season because it's a fun show for the most part.

I never in a million years would've thought this show would be as good as it is, but so far it's my second favorite new show of 2013 (after Hannibal).

It's good, there isn't much criticism against it except that they did not resolve any of the storylines for season 1 in the end.

The main cast is strong, even some of the secondary characters are good too.

There is some fantasy in it, what I like about the fantasy elements is its not in your face it always comes as a subtle pleasant surprise and makes perfect sense.

this feels like a Rob Tapert adventure show (i.e. Hercules, Xena, Legend of the Seeker) with nudity. That's not a bad thing.

The show is dumb fun, it's so over the top but at the same time it doesn't take itself too seriously, I have to say I'm really enjoing it more than I expected.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I hope the have some kind of Dracula episode like season 1. It was a fun episode.

I hope every episode in season 2 is like the Dracula episode!

Also, I hope they don't end the season on another cliffhanger, especially given Starz' tendency to cancel everything* after two seasons.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, I guess I'm in for more. Season 1 was enjoyable, nothing groundbreaking but it had some fun moments. I kinda put this show on the same level as something like Bates Motel. It's good, but you can kinda tell it will never be great.

Really looking forward to seeing how the Matt Fraction written episode turns out.

Looks like Starz is also doing a free preview on most carriers this weekend from the 19th-23rd for anyone that wants to catch the S2 premiere. Between the free S1 streaming and that, everyone should be able to jump on board if they want to.

- Variety review:
Beyond the sword-and-sandals bloodlust of “Spartacus,” finding a premium niche has been challenging for Starz, which has seen some ostentatious misfires. In “Da Vinci’s Demons,” however, the service has found its niche, conjuring a mix of debauchery, fun and sheer wackiness. The show returns for a second season that ups the ante on swashbuckling and arcane mythology, while continuing to cleverly use the famed artist/inventor’s innovations as a blueprint; this year, that includes a seafaring riff that contains some of the buoyant qualities the channel’s “Black Sails” lacks. David Goyer’s series isn’t for everyone, but in terms of a creative spark Starz could do (and indeed, has done) considerably worse.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

One more:

Entertainment Weekly

This loopy historical fantasy about Renaissance-era polymath Leonardo da Vinci (Tom Riley) as a sexy-nerd machinist superhero clunked in season 1…but why dwell on the past? Especially since this is an improvement. Despite protracted cliff-hanger wrap-up, the premiere pulses with big-picture narrative drive, more dialed-in acting, and greater depth of feeling. Smartest move: ramping up Riario, Leo's foil (scene-stealer Blake Ritson). It's still a bit chintzy, though — it simply can't support the scale it craves. Yet DA VINCI just might have purged enough creative demons to be, at the very least, a guilty geek pleasure.

Sounds like they found their groove this year. :D

Snake

I haven't even watched the first season so I came in here to get some impressions.

Then I see the words "dracula episode," and I realize I've made a huge mistake by holding off.

- NY Daily News review
“Da Vinci’s Demons” tells a compelling and well-crafted story, with religious drama, political intrigue and a cast of strong characters swirling around Da Vinci, one of the most creative people who ever lived. It is also a dense story, built on nuanced plots and personalities.

Articles:
- LA Daily News: A deepening ‘Da Vinci’s Demons’ returns to Starz
- LA Times: ‘Da Vinci’s Demons’ composer Bear McCreary scores with Calder Quartet
- TV Equals: Tom Riley Talks ‘Da Vinci’s Demons’ Season 2

JerkShep

Everyone should watch this just to experience dat Riario swag. Even in the promotional pictures he wears Renaissance-sunglasses like none's businnes.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hope Xbox Video in Canada has this day 1. I watched it well after it aired so I'm not sure if they had it close to release.

I forgot how bonkers the finale was from last season. It's just a huge melee in the cathedral for the last 10 minutes. Poor Giulino comes back from the dead to get stabbed again anyway.

Also, just a reminder that the free Starz trial on most carriers is going on right now.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm ready for the premiere, the show has been missed since last year

Starz is really kicking ass in series

Tokubetsu

You think so? I thought they hit the ground running this week.

Yeah, I'll admit the season ender last year kind of soured me. I enjoyed the adventure oriented stuff from the middle of the season (particularly the dracula ep, loved that episode a lot) so I'm about anxious to get past all this Lorenzo Medecci is in danger! stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom