• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Dying Light drops last-gen consoles, delayed to 2015?

chadskin

UPDATE 2:
- they want to scrap PS3/360 version
- he claims that it's delayed defo to 2015, it could be because of significant changes made to the game (felt too similar to Dead Island)
- Techland PR didn't confirm it, still stating 2014 as release window

not sure if that dude is reliable (not a big site), but another guy (Piotr Gnyp @tipheret) claims the same thing and he is reliable
-------
UPDATE:
-------
According to the Polish site hcgamer.pl, Dying Light from (Polish dev) Techland will now only release on PC, PS4 and XBO and has been pushed back from a release this year to 2015.

Google Translate, money quote:

Awaited by many players in the world Dying Light also appears in 2015, and can bypass the previous generation of consoles. This information is published as the first in the world - I received it from a trusted source associated with the Polish GameDev some time ago and I tried it at all costs verified. In the end I got a confirmation from another person, well acquainted with the realities of the formation of the game.

http://hcgamer.pl/tylko-u-nas-dying-light-opozniony-premiera-w-2015-roku-33163

Maybe PolishGAF can provide us with a better translation.

Deadbeat

Banned
Maybe PolishGAF can provide us with a better translation.
Maybe PolishGAF can go knock of the devs door and ask where the hell Xpand Rally 2 is.

That being said, the game has been developed for so long its probably still got design concessions around previous gen.

Good. We don't want current-gen games hindered by having to release on last-gen as well.

And they'd actually mentioned that they had to keep last gen consoles in mind while building this game. So, there's no doubt that it was impacting the design on some level.

I'm all for delays if they're required to make a game better. But this is really starting to suck. So we've potentially lost this in addition to Witcher 3 from this year. Those were two of the games I was really looking forward to.

At least this one sounds justified. Last gen needs to die, I'm already upset enough about Dark Souls 2, FFX HD and South Park not being on PS4.
Agree, but those games were in development for a long time don't think next gen versions would have been feasible especially without knowing the size of the install base.

I'd completely forgotten about this game.

If it was developed up to this point as a cross-gen game, then dropping the last-gen SKUs doesn't make much sense to me- it's undoubtedly impacted development up until this point, you may as well get the money back.

Dawg

I have a feeling some publishers/devs underestimated the impact PS4/Xbox One would make. And that last gen sales would still be much higher.

But last gen is already dropping [quite] fast and the new consoles are doing (much) better than expected. So I'm not surprised to see more and more games going PS4/Xbone/PC and dropping last gen.

oti

Banned
I'd completely forgotten about this game.

If it was developed up to this point as a cross-gen game, then dropping the last-gen SKUs doesn't make much sense to me- it's undoubtedly impacted development up until this point, you may as well get the money back.

Sunk costs/Opportunity costs and so on.

Publisher: Last-Gen version EXTERMINIEREN!

Gutted, Was looking forward to this game this year aswell as it's looking barren for me now until Destiny hits or hopefully Dragon age. damn

Good to hear they wouldn't be restricted by last-gen anymore, but 2014 is getting emptier and emptier by the day. Though I expect Q4 to be as crowded as always.

Smart move. Loved Techland's games last gen, they should step into the new one unfettered.

Dead Island and COJ:Gunslinger make this a day one purchase whenever it drops.

NHale

I'm sure publishers are surprised by the fact next-gen versions of the big popular games almost outsold the last gen version with a much smaller userbase.

This will probably lead for them dropping last gen sooner than everyone expected 6 months ago.

Clinging to a past gen that lingered around longer than it should have is not a welcome practice. This is good news, and it's a shame that something like The Evil Within - a game coming out as far as off as late August - is going to be held back by old tech.

Gaz_RB

Dropping the last gen versions is awesome. Delaying is sad but acceptable, if they use the time to next genify the game.

edit: glad to hear they are confident in their 2014 release target.

meanspartan

Is fucking anything coming out in 2014 after this month? Hope E3 is loaded with announcements for games releasing in the fall but I doubt it, other than the usual suspects like CoD and AC.

Top Bottom